PDA

View Full Version : CNNSI.com: Brown paving way out of Motown

CubanMustGo
07-08-2005, 09:04 AM
What is it with Larry Brown? Can't the dude ever stay anywhere more than a few years? He could have been one of the great coaches of all time if he ever stuck anywhere. His wanderlust has, fairly or no, tarnished his reputation.

--------------

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/ian_thomsen/07/07/brown/index.html

Larry Brown will not be back in Detroit. Count on it. By saying that he wants to return as coach of the Pistons, pending his health concerns, Brown is essentially forcing the team to fire him so that he can continue to collect the three years and $15 million remaining on his contract. If Brown is fired he will be able to claim -- disingenuously -- that he didn't bail out on the Eastern champions. But Brown demonstrated earlier that he doesn't want to come back, and the Pistons need reliable leadership in order to win another championship while their team is still at peak form.

Brown turned the Pistons against him when he spent this past spring counseling the Cleveland Cavaliers, a division rival, on their front-office hires. (His health concerns are no small matter, but neither are they any excuse for his behavior.)

On the team bus to a shootaround the morning of Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals last month in Miami, Brown was heard complaining that the Cavaliers were having second thoughts about the inexperience of Wizards player personnel director Milt Newton, who at the time was Brown's hand-picked choice to become Cleveland's GM. In order to demonstrate that Newton was worthy of the Cavs' job, Brown asked Joe Dumars how much front-office experience he had before the Pistons elevated him to his current post as president of basketball operations. You can imagine that Dumars would have preferred Brown to be focused solely on that night's game, which the Pistons lost 88-76 despite an injury to Dwyane Wade.

The next day during an optional workout in Auburn Hills, Mich., Brown spent 20 minutes on the sideline of the practice court berating Liz Robbins of The New York Times, who a week earlier had broken the news that Brown was close to joining the Cavaliers as team president. Several of Brown's players were on the court, putting in extra work in hope of overcoming their 3-2 deficit to the Miami, while point guard Chauncey Billups was in Dumars' office plotting a strategy to adapt the Pistons' pick-and-roll against Shaquille O'Neal. Everyone was focused on trying to beat the Heat except for Brown, who -- in full view of his players -- was acting as if he cared more about his next job than about leading the Pistons to a successful title defense. "It would be nice if he was in here with us," said Billups, glancing at Brown from the window of Dumars' office.

Brown has been in damage control mode ever since. His reputation has taken a beating because he isn't toying merely with UCLA or the New Jersey Nets; the Pistons are close to a sacred entity in the NBA, the only franchise in the past 25 years to win a title without a first-team All-NBA player. They are the closest thing we've seen to a true team in this league [Ahem - not paying attention to SA too well, are we?] , and Brown's actions influenced their loss to San Antonio in the NBA Finals.

Was he a primary reason the Pistons lost? Of course not. Nor was he a distraction -- Detroit has the most professional group of players in the league. But when the defending champs needed the last bit of motivation, when they were seeking the extra push of self-belief to see them through the final half of Game 7, they couldn't get it from their coach because when they looked in his eyes they saw someone halfway out the door. An unimpeachable source within the Pistons maintains that Brown's shenanigans cost him his ability to motivate his players on a personal level. They simply didn't believe in him any longer. San Antonio's Gregg Popovich was able to connect with his players far better than Brown.

In the next two weeks news will break that Brown is leaving the Pistons. The divorce is undoubtedly being held up in part because owner Bill Davidson is personally offended by the idea of paying Brown to leave, essentially rewarding him for his bad behavior, and setting him free to land with the Knicks. It will be interesting to see what Davidson has to say about Brown on his way out the door.

But the Pistons won't have to say anything. The fact that they will cut ties with a coach who has been to the NBA Finals the past two years will say everything about his destructive behavior. The Pistons will then quickly introduce Flip Saunders as their new coach while emphasizing his character and personal reliability. As for Ben Wallace and his teammates, they will be focused on proving that Brown received too much credit for their 2003-04 championship. Brown's absence next year will motivate them more than his presence did this season.

----------------------------------

The Pistons will then quickly introduce Flip Saunders as their new coach while emphasizing his character and personal reliability

:lmao Guess they can't emphasize that he's ever won anything!

WayDowntownBang
07-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Brown never won an NBA title before he got here, either.

But, can't argue with the story. This is getting old.. really quick, here in Detroit.

Twisted_Dawg
07-08-2005, 10:27 AM
That cocksucker pulled the same shit here in San Antonio. The players got tired of his constant harping, criticizing, and negative attitude. Terry Cummings called him the most negative person he had ever been around. Buck Williams refused to come to SA as a free agent and play for Larry Brown as he had his fill with him when he coached the Nets. When the team (SA) quit on Larry he went into owner Red McCombs office and said, "Red, the players won't listen to me." Red said, "Well, Larry you are the coach, do something about it." He did. He called his agent and told him to get him the hell out of San Antonio.

usckk
07-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Wow, I didn' know that.

WayDowntownBang
07-08-2005, 10:43 AM
As I've said though, he brought us a title and was 4 minutes away from another one. If he leaves, I have no problem with it. He just needs to make a decision before all these other available coaches find homes outside of Detroit.

spurschick
07-08-2005, 10:47 AM
As I've said though, he brought us a title and was 4 minutes away from another one. If he leaves, I have no problem with it. He just needs to make a decision before all these other available coaches find homes outside of Detroit.

If Brown does leave, who would you want to replace him?

kskonn
07-08-2005, 10:50 AM

Yea if I was a fan I would be more pissed about that. There are some decent coaches available and he is just holding up the courting of those guys. In a sense he is almost jeopardizing the long term future of the pistons.

Duff McCartney
07-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Probably Flip Saunders. He'd be perfect. I think if there's one thing the Pistons lacked last year and the year before was consistency in their offense.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Flip Saunders? Not exactly a winning pedigree there. PJ's still on the market!

batman2883
07-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Nah i think Flip Saunders could win i mean as he's not coaching the biggest choke artist in the NBA (Kevin Garnett) anymore, he will finally have a team who could win games.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Nah i think Flip Saunders could win i mean as he's not coaching the biggest choke artist in the NBA (Kevin Garnett) anymore, he will finally have a team who could win games.

Isn't there something to be said for Garnett developing into the biggest choke artist in the NBA under Flip's guidance?

batman2883
07-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Well i guess you might be right, but he would be leading a team that got the NBA finals 2 straight years, and Chauncey Billups a big player when the pressure is on. I think he deserves a chance to coach a real team.

WayDowntownBang
07-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Flip seems to be the best option out there, and is the guy that all of Detroit seems to be talking about. Personally, I'm not sold on him, but on the other hand, I'm not so sure that there's anything else out there. There was talk of Nate McMillan but he's already found a home, and the 'homer favorite' of Bill Laimbeer is a slight, slight possibility. I'm not so sure that a guy with no NBA coaching experience is the right guy for the job.

If I had my wish, Larry would suck it up and come back to Detroit and stop playing games. Otherwise, it sure seems as if it's going to be Flip.

That scares me. A name like "Flip" doesn't really intimidate your opponent. Then again, Larry isn't really a "Bruno" or "Rex" either.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Fair enough. He managed to drag one last good season out of Spree and Cassell, which is more than I thought anyone could do. I thought he got the shit end of the stick for things falling apart last year.

WayDowntownBang
07-08-2005, 11:08 AM
I don't think too many people around Detroit are blaming Brown for the Game 7 loss. You hear it sporadically, but not any more than your typical "Chauncey could have made more shots" or "Tayshaun disappeared". Believe it or not, but most people that I talk to just acknowledge the fact that we lost to a superior team, and don't have any shame in losing to the Spurs. We just took our medicine, and realized that we've had a pretty good run, and can be right back in it next year.

CalsonicKansei
07-08-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm scared.

spurschick
07-08-2005, 11:32 AM
I don't think too many people around Detroit are blaming Brown for the Game 7 loss. You hear it sporadically, but not any more than your typical "Chauncey could have made more shots" or "Tayshaun disappeared". Believe it or not, but most people that I talk to just acknowledge the fact that we lost to a superior team, and don't have any shame in losing to the Spurs. We just took our medicine, and realized that we've had a pretty good run, and can be right back in it next year.

That game was won in the last few minutes and the Pistons just ran out of gas. It was touch and go the whole game. It certainly wasn't Browns fault, but it sucks that they players had to hear about all that outside crap during a very close finals.

Sense
07-08-2005, 12:27 PM

This is not gonna turn into an excuse or something like that right?

It can't compare to .4

hah..

MannyIsGod
07-08-2005, 12:34 PM
This is not gonna turn into an excuse or something like that right?

It can't compare to .4

hah..
You're a retard. He's done anything but give excuses.

Ocotillo
07-08-2005, 03:27 PM
But when the defending champs needed the last bit of motivation, when they were seeking the extra push of self-belief to see them through the final half of Game 7, they couldn't get it from their coach because when they looked in his eyes they saw someone halfway out the door.

I don't agree with Brown's shenanigans either because I am familiar with his act when he coached here. On the other hand, if the above quote is true, what does that say about the heart of those players? I don't buy it.

CubanMustGo
07-08-2005, 04:51 PM
I think the Pistons' performance in the Finals given the LB shenanigans was nothing short of heroic. Hell yes it impacts your play if you think your coach doesn't give a flying flip about the team's future.

CosmicCowboy
07-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Ugh...if Larry Brown has a typical NBA coaches contract Davidson could buy him out and keep him from going to another team during the term of the buyout for spite...Didn't New York do that to Jeff Van Gundy?

And you know ESPN or ABC would try to get him to work as an analyst...talk about "fingernails on the blackboard"...