PDA

View Full Version : TMac and potentially greatest 35 seconds end of game in regular season to beat Spurs!

Rummpd
04-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Houston Dec 9, 2004:

In what some pundits believe was among the best end of game regular season performances ever by a player, T. McGrady scored 13 of his 33 points in the final 35 seconds, including a game-winning 3-pointer with 1.7 seconds remaining as the Rockets snapped a seven-game slide against the San Antonio Spurs with an 81-80 triumph at the Toyota Center. "This really hasn't hit me," McGrady added. "I don't know how we won. I don't realize what I did. I can't tell you how many (3-pointers) I hit."
http://www.nba.com/games/20041209/SASHOU/recap.html

McGrady, is a great pickup IMO as he at least has a history of star level succes and if he could somehow bring even a mini replica of this epic regular performance in the playoffs he could help erase his history of not getting past the first rounds and potentially help reenergize a lethargic Spurs squad limping to the playoffs.

[see video] at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfurCV1FDpM

A good piece on his star moment was written about on SB nation:

And I say that only because I didn't actually see McGrady score 13 points in 35 seconds, at least not until the next morning on Sportscenter. But in retrospect, T-Mac's one-man comeback is the performance of all performances. Unlike Carmelo Anthony's thirty-three points in one quarter, McGrady's magic won the game. He singlehandedly won a game that was FINISHED ninety-nine percent of the time. And so, without any doubt, McGrady gets the Comeback Day treatment....but McGrady's aerial display rendered errors irrelevant. He was going to make every shot he took. He just was. And that's what makes his final shot to win it so memorable. Everyone knew who was going to take the game-winner, and no matter how many Spurs got in McGrady's face to try to deter the icing on the cake, it didn't matter. That shot was going in. That's why we watch sports.
http://www.thedreamshake.com/2012/9/26/3412558/nba-comeback-day-where-tracy-mcgrady-lives-forever

SenorSpur
04-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Yes he did. I watched it on TV and even some years later, I still don't believe it. The only performance that probably comes close is Reggie Miller's 8 pts in 10-15 seconds in a playoff win versus the Knicks some years back. Both were stunning upsets because in each case, the game was already won any hint of any kind of comeback was improbable.

capek
04-17-2013, 08:40 AM
I was at that game. I was talking some massive shit to a rather large group of 'frat boy'-ish Rocket fans, who luckily left with about a minute left. :lol

Spur|n|Austin
04-17-2013, 08:42 AM
I got very drunk that night by a fire and a Christmas tree.. Couldn't believe what I had seen.

McGusto55
04-17-2013, 08:47 AM
I was at that game...crazy game

TampaDude
04-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Hopefully, he has at least one more magic moment like that for the Spurs in the playoffs.

benstanfield
04-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Even if his athleticism is gone, I don't see why he can't be the same kind of shooter and facilitator that he was back then.

xellos88330
04-17-2013, 09:34 AM
I just hope he still has something left in the tank. It would be awesome to have Tracy be a threat. Small ball lineup (if the Spurs get OKC) TP, Manu, Leonard, TMac, and Duncan. That could be some scary shit there.

TampaDude
04-17-2013, 09:36 AM
I just hope he still has something left in the tank. It would be awesome to have Tracy be a threat. Small ball lineup (if the Spurs get OKC) TP, Manu, Leonard, TMac, and Duncan. That could be some scary shit there.

It would be raining 3s. I'd love to see that lineup!

Drachen
04-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes he did. I watched it on TV and even some years later, I still don't believe it. The only performance that probably comes close is Reggie Miller's 8 pts in 10-15 seconds in a playoff win versus the Knicks some years back. Both were stunning upsets because in each case, the game was already won any hint of any kind of comeback was improbable.

8 in 9

Spurs9
04-17-2013, 10:01 AM
I remember watching that to this day, most epic performance I've ever watched. It was unbelievable.

Budkin
04-17-2013, 10:23 AM
It still seems so odd that all of a sudden T-Mac is on the Spurs. :lol

SenorSpur
04-17-2013, 01:50 PM
8 in 9

Thank you

BatManu20
04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm surprised someone didn't create this thread sooner.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-17-2013, 02:23 PM
I was at that game. I was talking some massive shit to a rather large group of 'frat boy'-ish Rocket fans, who luckily left with about a minute left. :lol

:lol Nice