PDA

View Full Version : Is the TMac signing a good or bad thing?

Dex
04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
I can't recall having seen such a dichotomous reaction to a signing since Robert Horry was brought in, and even the Horry hate was more for personal reasons than basketball reasons. Granted, from what I have seen, a lot of the naysayers haven't had much of an argument other than "he's old" or "he's cursed", but I'm interested to see the overall reaction here in black & white terms and who is taking which side. If you have good reasoning, state it.

DesignatedT
04-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Not sure how it could be a bad thing. If he sucks then the Spurs are right back where they were.

HarlemHeat37
04-17-2013, 12:50 PM
There's literally no argument against the signing, tbh..

- Not hurting cap room
- Not taking touches away from more deserving players
- Not taking minutes from a young player or more deserving player

capek
04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
There's zero reason this could be a bad thing. All the negative comments were just a bunch of people making the same joke about the no second round appearances. Says something about the uniqueness (or lack thereof) of people's thoughts, but nothing about the signing.

Dex
04-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Not sure how it could be a bad thing. If he sucks then the Spurs are right back where they were.

I agree. I feel like as long as the Spurs play the situation right, there is no way in can work against them.

The need for more depth at small forward is glaring. Trying to fill that gap with Danny Green has proven itself not to work in the time Kawhi and Jackson were out.

McGrady can bring an intangible quality ala Glenn Robinson, or even the way Jackson did late last season.

Pop just has to have him under tight reigns. If he is able to produce, give him the chance to do so. If it becomes obvious he is washed up, stick him on the pine before he has a chance to screw anything up too badly.

Spur|n|Austin
04-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Where are all the knuckleheads who said "first round loss" in the 'Spurs will sign TMAC' thread? Don't make me go find each one of you. It'd be nice if there could be a little more explanation as to why you think this..

timtonymanu
04-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Other than the 1st round curse thing, there is really nothing bad about signing T-Mac. He seems well aware of his role which is the only thing that had me worried. I'm looking forward to seeing how he fits.

SA210
04-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Good, especially bc Pop stupidly got rid of SJax

Legacy
04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Good reason. I just can't think of a bad reason...? We need all the bodies we can possibly get right now in the "state" we're currently in. The other stuff was coming from people who were simply embarassed, thought we were pulling a pathetic/desperate move, "the first-round curse," T-Mac is nothing but an old, soft, fart-bag mediocre player in China, blah, blah, blah, blah. You know... all that "scared of the unknown BS." Plus, some are/were ashamed because they don't want to be a laughing stock to "The Meanies Under The Stairs" ... They care about what the other teams think on here, LMFAO!! You know... all that silly cyber jazz.

ThaBigFundamental21
04-17-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm with the masses tbh. I don't see how the signing can hurt. Either he helps the team, or he is buried on the bench. He is much better than having no one after Jackson was cut. Plus he is a legitimate 6 foot 8, some sites say 6 foot 9. We all know we need size. He has always been a very good passer for his size, and has great handles. He always was a good creator. What does he have left? Who knows, that's the million dollar question.

Raven
04-17-2013, 01:38 PM
very bad. He has the motivation though, let's hope he surprises.

ohmwrecker
04-17-2013, 03:18 PM
lol TowelWaver (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17440)

benstanfield
04-17-2013, 03:20 PM
I have no argument from a basketball standpoint.

But I would have a problem if it could be proved that the Spurs dropped Jack cause they were already in talks with Tmac. Obviously Jack was having some issues with Pop, but if that was our overblown excuse to just dump him for an upgrade I would be unhappy. I'm not saying this is the case, just a possibility.

hater
04-17-2013, 03:25 PM
it's a good signing because there's no way its a bad one. Nothing to lose.

I'm sure spurs were keeping tabs on TMac all season, but I doubt they had planned to sign him prior to letting Jax go

SURGE
04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
I think it's a great signing what if lakers signed him would have really hurt us smart move I actually was hoping we got him earlier in the season

04-17-2013, 06:12 PM
There's literally no argument against the signing, tbh..

- Not hurting cap room
- Not taking touches away from more deserving players
- Not taking minutes from a young player or more deserving player
except he's cursed.

spurraider21
04-17-2013, 06:13 PM
It is a bad thing

for the rest of the league. we STACKED :hat

Brunodf
04-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Other than the 1st round curse thing, there is really nothing bad about signing T-Mac. He seems well aware of his role which is the only thing that had me worried. I'm looking forward to seeing how he fits.
This

Spurs9
04-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Already got my tmac jersey on the way. :flag:

sook
04-17-2013, 06:45 PM
how could it be a bad move?

Brunodf
04-17-2013, 06:55 PM
how could it be a bad move?
The curse

Dex
04-17-2013, 09:59 PM
62-1

i guess that's dichotomous?

There were a lot more people in the "Spurs may sign T-Mac thread" that don't seem to want to back up their claims now.

:lol "cursed"

TJastal
04-18-2013, 05:54 AM
I was actually kind of hoping to see Pop run some smaller guard/wing sets (especially Mills) and offset the size difference by actually playing bigger @ the 4 with Baynes instead of Bonner/Blair. Might as well play to our strengths. A lineup of Patty, Neal, & Manu would be dynamite and take other teams by surprise with the quickness and dynamic scorers. The Patty/Neal combo proved quite effective in the laker game giving the team almost 50 points... why not give it a shot?

Pop seems to believe the only way to play small is with his traditional small ball 4 which imho hasn't been all that effective (Jefferson, Jackson, & now most likely Mcgrady). Someone should tell Pop there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Oh.. and I do not like the McGrady signing becauseit means we will most likely never see the aforementioned lineups. :(

sventhedog
04-18-2013, 06:12 AM
good:
he'll be motivated since it's probably his only chance at the title or his last chance as an nba player.
length
probably can still score - which is what the spurs need if manu will still be out

bad:
health
lacks motivation on defense
lacks toughness
bad luck?

the only problem is the timing, if you sign a guy that late, he'll need a few games to learn the system and playoff games are not the best time for that.

TJastal
04-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Oh...and McGrady has always been softer than Charmin on a baby's ass... this can't be good.

Fireball
04-18-2013, 06:38 AM
It will be interesting if the signing of T-Mac has any effect at all ... it might be neither good nor bad if he does not play

TJastal
04-18-2013, 06:39 AM
good:
he'll be motivated since it's probably his only chance at the title or his last chance as an nba player.
length
probably can still score - which is what the spurvs need if manu will still be out

bad:
health
lacks motivation on defense
lacks toughness
bad luck?

the only problem is the timing, if you sign a guy that late, he'll need a few games to learn the system and playoff games are not the best time for that.

After applying the NBA Corollary Experience Factor I have determined Mcgrady will indeed be effective after only 2.587643355 games.