PDA

View Full Version : Bad move by not passing background checks at gun shows.

BobaFett1
04-17-2013, 05:25 PM
I have a big big issue with the background check law not being passed. Nothing is wrong doing a background check on folks for a gun. Places do a background check be4 you hire folks. Bad move by the senate.

mavs>spurs
04-17-2013, 05:33 PM
fag

DMC
04-17-2013, 08:25 PM
It comes down to resources in the BATFE and the FBI. They would have to hire hundreds to police that, hundreds more to do the checks and still not make a difference because people who cannot legally buy a gun will not submit to a background check anyhow.

CosmicCowboy
04-17-2013, 08:34 PM
It comes down to resources in the BATFE and the FBI. They would have to hire hundreds to police that, hundreds more to do the checks and still not make a difference because people who cannot legally buy a gun will not submit to a background check anyhow.

winner,winner chicken dinner.

It was all political posturing.

td4mvp2k
04-17-2013, 08:37 PM
:cry obuma :cry

TSA
04-17-2013, 08:46 PM
They don't prosecute the people who fail background checks now :lol

CosmicCowboy
04-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Fucking LOLOLOLOLOL

What happens to a president who romps to reelection, channels a national tragedy that sparked coast-to-coast outrage into a deeply personal crusade, then fails to get a measure backed by nine out of ten Americans through the Senate, where his party holds a majority? Thanks to the NRA-fueled defeat of a bill that might have mildly tightened limits on gun sales, President Barack Obama is learning the hard way.
For the families of those killed or wounded by gun violence and who watched with judging eyes as the Senate killed the measure by a vote of 54-46 (it needed a supermajority of 60 votes to pass) what to make of the vote was an easy call.
“Shame on you!” Patricia Maisch shouted from the visitors gallery above the Senate floor.
Maisch, a grandmotherly figure who disarmed the shooter in the Tucson carnage that nearly claimed the life of former congresswoman Gabby Giffords, was happy to elaborate as reporters swarmed her after the vote. “I decided I could not sit still,” she said. “They have no souls, they have no compassion.”
But on Wednesday, they had the votes.
That’s Message One for Obama from this stinging legislative defeat: Having emotion and the majority on your side isn’t enough. NRA leader Wayne LaPierre, after all, didn't even need to show up.
The knock on Obama has often been that he’s Mr. Spock, viewing his approach as the most logical and assuming that logic will trump the other’s side’s arguments and emotions. But only the most cynical observers will argue that the president didn’t take this fight personally – with frequent flashes of very public anger and anguish ever since the slaughter of 20 schoolchildren at Sandy Hook Elementary. And supporters of the legislation deployed the families of the slain as lobbyists in the weeks leading up to the vote.
Moreover, as the White House never tired of pointing out, polls show roughly 90 percent of Americans support expanded background checks.
"I will put everything I've got into this, and so will Joe," Obama promised in January, with Vice President Biden at his side. "But I tell you, the only way we can change is if the American people demand it."
In the end, though, four red-state Democrats joined 41 of the Senate's 45 Republicans to defeat the bill. Why stick their necks out for legislation whose death in the Republican-led House of Representatives was essentially foreordained?
"It came down to politics -- the worry that that vocal minority of gun owners would come after them in future elections. They worried that the gun lobby would spend a lot of money and paint them as anti-Second Amendment," Obama said in a passionate assessment in the White House Rose Garden after the vote. "And obviously, a lot of Republicans had that fear, but Democrats had that fear, too. And so they caved to the pressure, and they started looking for an excuse -- any excuse -- to vote 'no.'"
That would seem to bode ill for Obama in the early months of a second term. A reelected president at perhaps the height of his persuasive powers couldn't even get his own party in line behind this widely popular measure.
Obama's 2012 campaign juggernaut, overhauled and renamed Organizing for Action -- an unprecedented grassroots effort devoted entirely to advancing his agenda -- didn't tip the balance. There will be hard votes in the future on immigration, on taxes and spending, maybe on energy and climate change. He's doomed!
Message Two: No, he's not.
Republican Senator John Cornyn of Texas, a staunch conservative and fierce Obama critic, told Yahoo News that Wednesday's vote was a fight over the Second Amendment. "I wouldn't think it has any broader implication" for Obama's agenda, he said.
So no spillover effect on immigration? "I don't think so," Cornyn said.
Sure, former President George W. Bush's second term never really recovered from his failed push to partly privatize Social Security. But that effort was powerfully unpopular, including among Republicans, while the goal of tamping down gun violence is broadly popular.
Which brings up Message Three: Obama's push on gun safety has suffered a terrible setback, but it's far from over.
Surrounded in the Rose Garden by parents of slain Sandy Hook schoolchildren, Obama never said the words "2014 mid-term elections." He didn't need to.
"We can do more if Congress gets its act together. And if this Congress refuses to listen to the American people and pass common-sense gun legislation, then the real impact is going to have to come from the voters," he declared. "You need to let your representatives in Congress know that you are disappointed, and that if they don’t act this time, you will remember come election time."
Maybe, but Message Four is that this White House needs to get better organized.
Democrats from states with large gun-owning populations complained privately that the Obama operation never seemed to know how to talk to gun owners. Several told Yahoo News that Obama hasn't really moved past his 2008 depiction of small-town Americans who "cling to guns or religon." Gun rights-favoring media, too, complained about the message.
There was a weird, telling little moment in the debate that highlighted the White House's struggle.
In early April, top Obama pollster Joel Benenson wrote a New York Times op-ed describing a poll his firm conducted that found, as he described it, that Americans don't really know what the country's gun laws actually say. Benenson was trying to beat back the core NRA argument against new gun laws: That authorities must enforce existing gun laws. But his column sent another message: That Team Obama had not really scrutinized the NRA argument until April.

Latarian Milton
04-17-2013, 08:58 PM
making it harder to buy guns from league sources will only end up boosting the so-called "black market" imho.

TSA
04-17-2013, 09:01 PM
"We can do more if Congress gets its act together. And if this Congress refuses to listen to the American people and pass common-sense gun legislation, then the real impact is going to have to come from the voters," he declared. "You need to let your representatives in Congress know that you are disappointed, and that if they don’t act this time, you will remember come election time." :lmao Sounds as if the people in Colorado are taking his advice after their new gun control measures were passed, the recalls of those voting in favor of said measures are up and running.

DMC
04-17-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm in Denver now, and it's so fucking cold and there's a blizzard going on, no one is going to be shooting up a theater tonight, but if they did they wouldn't hit anyone.

boutons_deux
04-17-2013, 09:20 PM
senators who voted against b/g checks know it won't cost them anything, there's no accountability anymore for the plutocrats.

Das Texan
04-17-2013, 09:28 PM

TBH, the same happened with the creation of the Department of Homeland security. If people were getting shot up by Muslims, this would have a greater chance of passing.

BobaFett1
04-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I think folks should not buy a guy easy as buying a microwave. Now I am for every American having a right to own a gun but in the legal sense.

Th'Pusher
04-17-2013, 09:44 PM

Can you back this statement up with any sort of empirical evidence?

FuzzyLumpkins
04-17-2013, 09:51 PM

So then they wouldn't go to gun shows then because they would have to submit to a background check which is the entire point. So now we have come to 'there is no point to doing background checks whatsoever.'

TSA
04-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Can you back this statement up with any sort of empirical evidence?
Sure can. And this is only in CA.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/29/local/la-me-california-guns-20130130

SACRAMENTO — California authorities are empowered to seize weapons owned by convicted felons and people with mental illness, but staff shortages and funding cuts have left a backlog of more than 19,700 people to disarm, a law enforcement official said Tuesday.

Those gun owners have roughly 39,000 firearms, said Stephen Lindley, chief of the Bureau of Firearms for the state Department of Justice, testifying at a joint legislative hearing. His office lacks enough staff to confiscate all the weapons, which are recorded in the state's Armed Prohibited Persons database, he said.

TSA
04-17-2013, 09:57 PM
So then they wouldn't go to gun shows then because they would have to submit to a background check which is the entire point. So now we have come to 'there is no point to doing background checks whatsoever.'

You act like the majority of gun shows don't run background checks and are probably running with Obama's claim of 40% of gun purchases are made without a background check. If that's what you're using you are far off as shown here.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/the-stale-claim-that-40-percent-of-gun-sales-lack-background-checks/2013/01/20/e42ec050-629a-11e2-b05a-605528f6b712_blog.html

But keep pretending you are well versed in the world of guns, it makes for good entertainment.

Th'Pusher
04-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Sure can. And this is only in CA.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/29/local/la-me-california-guns-20130130

SACRAMENTO — California authorities are empowered to seize weapons owned by convicted felons and people with mental illness, but staff shortages and funding cuts have left a backlog of more than 19,700 people to disarm, a law enforcement official said Tuesday.

Those gun owners have roughly 39,000 firearms, said Stephen Lindley, chief of the Bureau of Firearms for the state Department of Justice, testifying at a joint legislative hearing. His office lacks enough staff to confiscate all the weapons, which are recorded in the state's Armed Prohibited Persons database, he said.

So the people responsible for confiscating the now illegal firearms that were obtained legally are the same people responsible for processing the background check?

TSA
04-17-2013, 10:01 PM
So the people responsible for confiscating the now illegal firearms that were obtained illegally are the same people responsible for processing the background check?point is there is a lack of resources.

Th'Pusher
04-17-2013, 10:08 PM
point is there is a lack of resources.
So when you sold your ar15 and met the buyer at a local gun dealer to have the background check performed as you claimed, how long did the background check take to process?

TSA
04-17-2013, 10:15 PM
So when you sold your ar15 and met the buyer at a local gun dealer to have the background check performed as you claimed, how long did the background check take to process?
I have no idea as I'm not the licensed FFL who makes the call to NICS from the gun shop. We both gave all our info to the FFL and I took the money and left. The guy had to at least wait 10 days per CA law before he could pick up his gun new from the FFL.

Th'Pusher
04-17-2013, 10:24 PM
I have no idea as I'm not the licensed FFL who makes the call to NICS from the gun shop. We both gave all our info to the FFL and I took the money and left. The guy had to at least wait 10 days per CA law before he could pick up his gun new from the FFL.
So, when I claimed that 40% of guns were sold without a background check, you rebutted that citing numbers that were closer to 20% of guns being sold without a background check. The bill that was voted down today excluded private transfers for family and friends, so at best, it would have increased background checks by, what 15%? This 15% increase in background checks is somehow logistically unattainable? Sorry, I'm not buying that without some more concrete empirical evidence. The burden of proof for this is on DMC/CC who glommed onto the claim without any supporting information.

DMC
04-17-2013, 10:59 PM

So they would get guns elsewhere. You shut down corners, pimps, whores and drug dealers will go elsewhere. Is the goal to legitimize gun shows?

Obviously the majority of the Senate didn't agree with your point.

DMC
04-17-2013, 11:01 PM
So, when I claimed that 40% of guns were sold without a background check, you rebutted that citing numbers that were closer to 20% of guns being sold without a background check. The bill that was voted down today excluded private transfers for family and friends, so at best, it would have increased background checks by, what 15%? This 15% increase in background checks is somehow logistically unattainable? Sorry, I'm not buying that without some more concrete empirical evidence. The burden of proof for this is on DMC/CC who glommed onto the claim without any supporting information.

The numbers you're using are bullshit. I have no reason to address bullshit stats. Get meaningful stats and then to the math on the costs.

Th'Pusher
04-17-2013, 11:15 PM
The numbers you're using are bullshit. I have no reason to address bullshit stats. Get meaningful stats and then to the math on the costs.

“The law already requires licensed gun dealers to run background checks, and over the last 14 years that’s kept 1.5 million of the wrong people from getting their hands on a gun. But it’s hard to enforce that law when as many as 40 percent of all gun purchases are conducted without a background check.”
--President Obama, remarks on gun violence, Jan. 16, 2013
“Studies estimate that nearly 40 percent of all gun sales are made by private sellers who are exempt from this requirement.”
--“Now Is the Time: The president’s plan to protect our children and our communities by reducing gun violence,” released Jan. 16
“That’s why we need, and I’ve recommended to the president, universal background checks. Studies show that up to 40 percent of the people -- and there’s no -- let me be honest with you again, which I’ll get to in a moment. Because of the lack of the ability of federal agencies to be able to even keep records, we can’t say with absolute certainty what I’m about to say is correct. But the consensus is about 40 percent of the people who buy guns today do so outside the NICS [National Instant Criminal Background Check] system, outside the background check system.”
--Vice President Biden, remarks to the U.S. Conference of Mayors, Jan. 17
Regular readers of this column know that we are often suspicious when politicians inject the phrase “up to” before citing a statistic. That’s because it often suggests the politician is picking the upper value in a range of possibilities.
A reader expressed deep skepticism of this 40-percent figure when Obama used it. We were further struck by Biden’s admission he could not say with “absolute certainty” that it was correct. So let’s investigate.
The Facts
The White House says the figure comes from a 1997 Institute of Justice report, written by Philip Cook of Duke University and Jens Ludwig of the University of Chicago. This study is based on data collected from a survey in 1994, just the Brady law requirements for background checks was coming into effect. (In fact, the questions concerned purchases in 1993 and 1994, while Brady law went into effect in early 1994.) In other words, this is a really old figure.
The data is available for researchers to explore at the Interuniversity consortium on political and social research (ICPSR) at the University of Michigan. Digging deeper, we find that the survey sample was just 251 people. (The survey was done by telephone, using a random-digit-dial method, with a response rate of 50 percent.) With this sample size, the 95 percent confidence interval will be plus or minus 6 percentage points.
Moreover, when asked if he or she bought from a licensed firearms dealer, the possible answers included “probably was/think so” and “probably not,” leaving open the possibility the purchaser was mistaken. (The “probably not” answers were counted as “no.”)
When all of the “yes” and “probably was” answers were added together, that left 35.7 percent of respondents indicating they did not receive the gun from a licensed firearms dealer. Rounding up gets you to 40 percent, though as we noted the survey sample is so small it could also be rounded down to 30 percent.
Moreover, when gifts, inheritances and prizes are added in, then the number shrinks to 26.4 percent. (The survey showed that nearly 23.8 percent of the people surveyed obtained their gun either as a gift or inherited it, and about half of them believed a licensed firearms dealer was the source.)
Cook and Ludwig, in a lengthier 1996 study of the data for the Police Foundation, acknowledge the ambiguity in the answers, but gave their best estimate as a range of 30 to 40 percent for transactions in the “off-the-books” secondary market. (The shorter 1997 study cited by the White House does not give a range, but instead says “approximately 60 percent of gun acquisitions” involved a licensed dealer.)
Interestingly, while people often speak of the “gun show loophole,” the data in this 1994 survey shows that only 3.9 percent of firearm purchases were made at gun shows.
Ludwig acknowledged that “our estimate is clearly not perfect.” He said that a larger sample size would have provided a more precise estimate of off-the-books transactions, but he and Cook were not involved in the design stage of the survey. He added that one reason why the data is so old is because the federal government has generally stopped funding such research.
“While there is no perfect estimate in social science, we’d have a better estimate for this proportion had the federal government not decided to get out of the business of supporting research on guns and gun violence several years ago,” he said.
Ludwig and Cook were among the social scientists who signed a letter to Biden earlier this month calling on ending barriers to firearms research. The letter includes an interesting figure, comparing how many National Institute of Health awards have been given for firearms research versus infectious diseases.
Major NIH research awards and cumulative morbidity for select conditions in the US, 1973–2012
Condition Total cases NIH research awards
Cholera 400 212
Diphtheria 1337 56
Polio 266 129
Rabies 65 89
Total of four diseases 2068 486
Firearm injuries >4,000,000 3
One of the executive orders signed by Obama on Jan. 16 directed the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence, based on a legal analysis that congressional restrictions on spending money to advocate for gun control does not apply to such inquiries.
There is a bit of irony here. While the 40-percent figure appears overstated and out of date, it remains the most cited statistic on the secondary market because foes of gun control have thwarted extensive research on guns. Advocates of gun controls thus continue to rely on a flawed statistic nearly two decades old.
Cook and Ludwig, in a paper that released this month at a gun-violence conference hosted by the John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, found that there appears to be little or no impact from the Brady law in reducing the homicide rate, even though government officials (such as Obama) routinely tout the number of people prevented from buying guns because of background checks.
“One explanation is that the type of person who is disqualified from legally buying a gun but shops at FFL [dealer with a federal firearms license] anyway tends to be at relatively low risk for misusing a gun,” Cook and Ludwig write in “The Limited Impact of the Brady Act: Evaluation and Implications.”
So is there any other, recent data that might provide some insight into the impact of the off-the-books gun market?
Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, will report data from a 2004 survey of inmates in state prisons in a chapter in a book titled “Reducing Gun Violence in America,” to be published Jan. 28 by Johns Hopkins Press.
The offenders were incarcerated from crimes committed with handguns, and this is how they reported how they obtained the guns:
Licensed gun dealer: 11 percent
Friends or family: 39.5 percent
“The street:” 37.5 percent
Stolen gun: 9.9 percent
Gun show/Flea market: 1.7 percent
In other words, only a relatively small percentage was purchased from licensed dealers. Obama’s proposal on universal background checks, however, allows for “limited, common-sense exceptions for cases like certain transfers between family members and temporary transfers for hunting and sporting purposes.”
The Pinocchio Test
We are faced with a conundrum here. We generally believe politicians should use the most up-to-date and relevant information available, but congressional foes of gun control have made it difficult to improve on obviously stale information.
The small sample size is also a serious problem, but again, roadblocks have made it difficult to do a more comprehensive survey.
At the same time, President Obama and the White House gun-violence plan act as if the information is fresh and relevant; it has also been repeated as current information by the news media. The Obama gun-violence plan cites “studies,” but in fact these all are merely riffs on the same, relatively small survey taken nearly two decades ago. Generally, we would rule such claims are deserving of a Pinocchio or two.
Vice President Biden, meanwhile, deserves kudos for acknowledging that the information is suspect and may not be entirely accurate. He at least frames it with some caveats, which is proper.
So, we are going to take a wait-and-see approach with this statistic. Going forward, gun-control advocates should be much more upfront about its problems, especially the fact that it is old information. The 30-to-40 percent range that Cook and Ludwig first deduced should be the norm, not the “up to 40 percent” claim. Moreover, advocates should routinely acknowledge this is stale information—which they are certainly free to blame on gun-industry lobbying.
We will be watching, and urge readers to keep track as well.

you made the claim that the additional background checks were unenforceble due to resources. It's your burden of proof to back up that claim. If the proposed legislation were to go into effect, what would be the burden on the agencies responsible for the additional background checks?

Thread
04-17-2013, 11:30 PM
They knew better. NRA done told 'em they'd target each one and throw their fuckin' ass out.

spursncowboys
04-18-2013, 12:35 AM
I'm in Denver now, and it's so fucking cold and there's a blizzard going on, no one is going to be shooting up a theater tonight, but if they did they wouldn't hit anyone.
Yeah. I'm in CO Springs and this weather is eff'ed up!

spursncowboys
04-18-2013, 12:36 AM
So this 15% increase will stop how many murders? what percent?

ElNono
04-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Agree with the OP. I don't particularly agree with most gun control measures, but I don't think mandatory background checks are actually that.

I also don't buy the 'manpower' argument. If there's anything LE has been doing is keeping up with technology. A lot of those checks will probably clear with just an automated process that verifies certain databases. It's only the corner cases that would require extra intervention.

Also, snc, if it stops one crazy mofo from getting a gun, and saves at least one life, it's worth it, IMO. I personally don't look at this as an overall crime-reduction tactic, I see it more towards addressing things like convicted stalkers, who are not career criminals, but that might be unstable enough to go shoot somebody.

Wild Cobra
04-18-2013, 03:16 AM
Yeah. I'm in CO Springs and this weather is eff'ed up!
I miss Global warming.

Latarian Milton
04-18-2013, 03:58 AM
Agree with the OP. I don't particularly agree with most gun control measures, but I don't think mandatory background checks are actually that.

I also don't buy the 'manpower' argument. If there's anything LE has been doing is keeping up with technology. A lot of those checks will probably clear with just an automated process that verifies certain databases. It's only the corner cases that would require extra intervention.

Also, snc, if it stops one crazy mofo from getting a gun, and saves at least one life, it's worth it, IMO. I personally don't look at this as an overall crime-reduction tactic, I see it more towards addressing things like convicted stalkers, who are not career criminals, but that might be unstable enough to go shoot somebody.
background check ain't gonna work the way you desired imho. it would be something like the drug test on foodstamp recipients, where only a small portion of them got busted as smokers. it saved some money from drug users but operating such tests will cost even more taxpayer money in the end.

and it's never gonna be easy to identify any potential perverts by reading what they think imho. the biggest challenge is that you never know what other people think. one may appear to be a kind person while being a pervert internally (like someone who's also posting in this thread)

BobaFett1
04-18-2013, 05:56 AM

After what happened to those poor parents in Sandy Hook it is right thing to do.

Thread
04-18-2013, 08:05 AM
It was DOA in the House anyway. This way though it's a repudiation of that creep in the White House. He had this comin.

Th'Pusher
04-18-2013, 08:32 AM
So this 15% increase will stop how many murders? what percent?
We aren't debating the efficacy of the background check. Typical of the cold dead hands crew, DMC threw out some bullshit talking point Wayne LaPierre blew in his face while CC and TSA whooped and hollered on the sideline. Show me how increased background checks are going to require hundreds of additional personnel to enforce. I'm just asking for people to back up their claims.

Capt Bringdown
04-18-2013, 08:47 AM
America's gun culture is a disgrace.

Winehole23
04-18-2013, 09:21 AM
After what happened to those poor parents in Sandy Hook it is right thing to do.the state power that protects children from firearms protects the parents too; the sentimental emphasis on parents is noted.

spursncowboys
04-18-2013, 09:32 AM
We aren't debating the efficacy of the background check. Typical of the cold dead hands crew, DMC threw out some bullshit talking point Wayne LaPierre blew in his face while CC and TSA whooped and hollered on the sideline. Show me how increased background checks are going to require hundreds of additional personnel to enforce. I'm just asking for people to back up their claims.
I don't know and I think a background check if streamlined without much red tape is a pretty common sense idea. My main problem with it is their grouping veterans with PTSD as being not allowed to have them. Until they make a point to protect veterans with PTSD from the DOJ and even DOD.

spursncowboys
04-18-2013, 09:33 AM
America's gun culture is a disgrace.
Poor sport?

CosmicCowboy
04-18-2013, 09:34 AM
sorry.

I invoke the slippery slope argument. Just stop this shit before it starts. We have enough gun laws.

CosmicCowboy
04-18-2013, 09:36 AM
After what happened to those poor parents in Sandy Hook it is right thing to do.

:lmao

Background checks wouldn't have stopped Sandy Hook.

Th'Pusher
04-18-2013, 09:41 AM
sorry.

I invoke the slippery slope argument. Just stop this shit before it starts. We have enough gun laws.

??? You were in here yesterday bragging about the complete lack of gun laws in Texas. And this measure, was in essence, closing a loophole to an existing federal law.

CosmicCowboy
04-18-2013, 09:48 AM
??? You were in here yesterday bragging about the complete lack of gun laws in Texas. And this measure, was in essence, closing a loophole to an existing federal law.

And that's exactly the way it should stay.

Loophole? Bullshit.

You fucking idiots seem to forget that criminals are criminals because they break the law. They will always get their guns one way or another. Background checks/data bases are the slippery slope to gun registration.

Winehole23
04-18-2013, 09:48 AM
I see no inconsistency, TP

Winehole23
04-18-2013, 09:59 AM
waving your hands about national gun registry is essentially Cruz v Schumer (http://www.nbcnews.com/video/meet-the-press/50526037#50526037), chopped and screwed.

meme du jour, tbh. tripped over that once or twice on my way to coffee.

Th'Pusher
04-18-2013, 10:18 AM
And that's exactly the way it should stay.

Loophole? Bullshit.

You fucking idiots seem to forget that criminals are criminals because they break the law. They will always get their guns one way or another. Background checks/data bases are the slippery slope to gun registration.

So then we don't need background checks at all? Criminals are going to get the guns anyway...

Registration for fully auto weapons has been required for ages. Has the government come to pry them from your cold dead hand yet? You rednecks clinging to your guns and religion are amusing.

CosmicCowboy
04-18-2013, 10:23 AM
So then we don't need background checks at all? Criminals are going to get the guns anyway...

Registration for fully auto weapons has been required for ages. Has the government come to pry them from your cold dead hand yet? You rednecks clinging to your guns and religion are amusing.

you girly men are amusing

Th'Pusher
04-18-2013, 10:33 AM
you girly men are amusing

:tu Schwartzenegger. Cool.

BobaFett1
04-18-2013, 12:53 PM

No but I bet it could of stopped at least 50% of guns crimes comitted in this country.

BobaFett1
04-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Btw I own a guy and have no problems with abackground check? Why do you have a issue with it?

TSA
04-18-2013, 02:10 PM
No but I bet it could of stopped at least 50% of guns crimes comitted in this country.
That is a flat out retarded assumption.

Sportcamper
04-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Btw I own a guy and have no problems
Dude don't ask don't tell

spursncowboys
04-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Btw I own a guy and have no problems with abackground check? Why do you have a issue with it?
I respect the fact you didn't edit that.
:toast

FuzzyLumpkins
04-18-2013, 04:18 PM
So they would get guns elsewhere. You shut down corners, pimps, whores and drug dealers will go elsewhere. Is the goal to legitimize gun shows?

Obviously the majority of the Senate didn't agree with your point.

:lol

Drugs are manufactured in third world countries and imported. Whoring is a service and not a good. Guns are manufactured in very well known locations.

No one is talking about taking down gun shows or other venues. If you were to get pimps whores and drug dealers to not sell to certain individuals then what recourse do they have?

And citing the Senate as a good standard for policy making is hilarious.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-18-2013, 04:21 PM
sorry.

I invoke the sticky slope argument because it's pretty damn obvious that there are private institutional barriers to any regulation.

Slippery slope is just stupidity to justify fearmongering change. There is no slope. It's a visual aid that even stupid people can understand.

TSA
04-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Just bought an 80% milled billet lower and my buddy has the equipment to finish it. No serial number, no registration, no waiting period, fucking sweet.

ElNono
04-18-2013, 06:06 PM
background check ain't gonna work the way you desired imho. it would be something like the drug test on foodstamp recipients, where only a small portion of them got busted as smokers. it saved some money from drug users but operating such tests will cost even more taxpayer money in the end.

and it's never gonna be easy to identify any potential perverts by reading what they think imho. the biggest challenge is that you never know what other people think. one may appear to be a kind person while being a pervert internally (like someone who's also posting in this thread)

People with things such as stalking convictions are indeed barred from purchasing guns, and in a lot of cases are not career criminals.

I fully expect the background checks to pass 95% of the time. It's the other 5% that wouldn't pass that's a concern.

Again, this isn't about career criminals.

ElNono
04-18-2013, 06:09 PM
I don't know and I think a background check if streamlined without much red tape is a pretty common sense idea. My main problem with it is their grouping veterans with PTSD as being not allowed to have them. Until they make a point to protect veterans with PTSD from the DOJ and even DOD.

PTSD can pretty much fuck up your head. Personally, I wouldn't want such person to own a gun unless there's medical clearance from a doctor.

boutons_deux
04-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Next Week's School Shooting Victims Thank Senate For Failing To Pass Gun Bill
WASHINGTON—Following the Senate’s rejection of a bipartisan amendment to expand background checks (http://www.theonion.com/articles/next-weeks-school-shooting-victims-thank-senate-fo,32094/?ref=auto#) for gun buyers, the young victims of next week’s school shooting emphatically thanked members of Congress today for failing to pass more comprehensive gun control legislation.

“Great job, guys,” said 14-year-old Jacob Miller, one of nine junior high school students who will be shot next week by a mentally ill gunman wielding a legally acquired assault rifle that was purchased at a gun show.

“My classmates and I are really proud of you for cowering to the NRA and caring more about politics than my friends and I getting shot and killed.

It totally makes sense. You’re the best.”

The soon-to-be massacred teenager added that his parents, Caroline and Pete Miller, also wanted to extend their heartfelt congratulations to the Senate.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/next-weeks-school-shooting-victims-thank-senate-fo,32094/?ref=auto

TSA
04-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Adam Mordicai! :lmao

DMC
04-18-2013, 06:25 PM
They knew better. NRA done told 'em they'd target each one and throw their fuckin' ass out.

Me and Dale, shoulder to shoulder.

boutons_deux
04-18-2013, 06:27 PM
As Senate Filibustered Federal Gun Legislation, Louisiana Advanced Bills To Criminalize Federal Enforcement (http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/04/18/1892651/as-senate-filibustered-federal-gun-legislation-louisiana-advanced-bills-to-criminalize-federal-enforcement/)

a Louisiana House committee approved eight bills (http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/04/gun_control_bills_louisiana.html) that would relax the state’s already-permissive gun violence prevention laws, including one that would criminalize enforcement of federal law.

One bill that cleared the House Criminal Justice Committee would make enforcement of any federal restriction on ownership of semi-automatic weapons punishable by up
to two years in prison (http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=839463) and/or a $5,000 fine. Another claims to exempt intrastate gun manufacturers from federal regulation by issuing in-state licenses. Both of these laws, versions of which have been introduced in several states (http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/01/29/1511051/mississippi-tea-partiers-seek-to-nullify-any-federal-laws-they-dont-like/), would be clearly unconstitutional as a violation of the U.S. Constitution’s supremacy clause.
Other proposals approved Wednesday would make it a felony to intentionally disseminate concealed carry permit information, allow off-duty law enforcers to carry firearms into school campuses and restaurants that serve alcohol, permit lifetime concealed carry permits, and allow sheriffs to recognize concealed carry permits from neighboring jurisdictions.

In November, Louisiana voters passed a ballot initiative that created constitutional gun rights that are arguably stricter than the Second Amendment (http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/11/08/1164791/louisiana-amendment-gives-gun-rights-strictest-constitutional-protection/). A court has already relied on this constitutional amendment to strike down a ban on gun possession by violent felons (http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/03/22/1763301/court-cites-newly-enacted-louisiana-amendment-to-strike-down-ban-on-felon-gun-possession/).

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/04/18/1892651/as-senate-filibustered-federal-gun-legislation-louisiana-advanced-bills-to-criminalize-federal-enforcement/

DMC
04-18-2013, 06:30 PM
:lol

Drugs are manufactured in third world countries and imported. Whoring is a service and not a good. Guns are manufactured in very well known locations.

No one is talking about taking down gun shows or other venues. If you were to get pimps whores and drug dealers to not sell to certain individuals then what recourse do they have?

And citing the Senate as a good standard for policy making is hilarious.

Meth is an illegal drug and it's made right here in the USA.

Whoring is an activity but so is buying a gun. You're not very good at this.

Pussy is manufactured in very well known locations

No one is talking about manufacturing, about making guns or the guns themselves. They are talking about background checks and your comment was that it would prevent illegal purchases at gun shows. My response that it would only move the illegal purchases outside just as shutting down a corner doesn't eliminate illegal drug or pussy purchases, putting road blocks at gun shows won't stop felons from acquiring guns. Obviously your representatives in the Senate agreed.

You're not getting gun show dealers to not sell to certain individuals. You're getting them to not sell to certain individuals at gun shows just as you're getting whores, dealers and such to not sell on the corner.

Your President was a senator.

Latarian Milton
04-18-2013, 08:41 PM
People with things such as stalking convictions are indeed barred from purchasing guns, and in a lot of cases are not career criminals.

I fully expect the background checks to pass 95% of the time. It's the other 5% that wouldn't pass that's a concern.

Again, this isn't about career criminals.
if 95% can pass and only 5% fail the test, then it might probably not be worth it imho. background checks come with fees and it'll never completely prohibit gun crimes as long as they can still buy guns from illegal sources. and you will never know who's gonna pull out his gun and start shooting around next day or next hour, there're internal perverts who have no record of bad or violent behavior in the past, but who can turn into a mass shooter all of a sudden.

ElNono
04-18-2013, 09:03 PM
if 95% can pass and only 5% fail the test, then it might probably not be worth it imho. background checks come with fees and it'll never completely prohibit gun crimes as long as they can still buy guns from illegal sources. and you will never know who's gonna pull out his gun and start shooting around next day or next hour, there're internal perverts who have no record of bad or violent behavior in the past, but who can turn into a mass shooter all of a sudden.

Not looking to 'completely prohibit gun crimes'... only those gun deaths that could've been prevented with a background check... (all 25 or so of them). How many doesn't matter, IMO. It's preventable loss of life that's well worth the coin, IMO. We spend a shitload more money tapping people's asses in airports.