PDA

View Full Version : How mentally scared of the Lakers is Pop?

ElNono
04-18-2013, 12:41 AM
tbh, I though Phil cut deep in his psyche. Now Phil isn't there anymore, but whenever we play them I get the feeling Pop is still scared.

It's silly too, because D'Antoni is a horrible coach. What you guys say, agree or disagree? If agree, any reasons for that fear?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-18-2013, 12:43 AM
This series is going to be a scary wake up call for Spurs fans. This would be the biggest choke in SA history if they drop this series.

It's been weeks since we've seen anything from the Spurs resembling a playoff team.

They are going to really have to protect homecourt because LA will definitely be getting their home games.

Spurs in 6.

And Pop is afraid, he's gonna hack a howard, and howard will hit 70% of his free throws somehow. Book it.

lefty
04-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Already shitting the bed

TampaDude
04-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Spurs in 5.

SanDiegoSpursFan
04-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Mike D'Antoni being the coach cancels it out.

therealtruth
04-18-2013, 12:45 AM
This series is going to be a scary wake up call for Spurs fans. This would be the biggest choke in SA history if they drop this series.

It's been weeks since we've seen anything from the Spurs resembling a playoff team.

They are going to really have to protect homecourt because LA will definitely be getting their home games.

Spurs in 6.

And Pop is afraid, he's gonna hack a howard, and howard will hit 70% of his free throws somehow. Book it.

If the Spurs waste energy on the first round their going to run out of gas.

TampaDude
04-18-2013, 12:46 AM

^ this

PJ ain't there anymore. Pop owns D'Antoni.

hater
not at all. Not at all with a Kobe-less lakers.

Budkin
Not scared of the Lakers. Too slow, shitty bench. Let's see them stop Tony. Dwight's going to have to make a shitload of FTs to beat us.

Brunodf
04-18-2013, 12:47 AM
Pop/Tony are the X factors tbh

DesignatedT
0 scared

Robz4000
Mid said it downstairs, if the Spurs choke major internal changes need to happen. Pop might be one of them.

SenorSpur
04-18-2013, 12:51 AM

Not if the Spurs bigs play like pussies and give up double-digit rebound performances to both Howard and Gasol, as they did in the last regular season game.

HarlemHeat37
No Phil
No Fisher
No Kobe
+D'Antoni

Pop has no reason to panic like he usually does against LA, tbh..

Monkeyboy14
Not scared of the Lakers. Too slow, shitty bench. Let's see them stop Tony. Dwight's going to have to make a shitload of FTs to beat us.
Lets just hope tony doesnt play like he has the past few games..

siraulo23
04-18-2013, 12:53 AM
This is gonna be a tough series without a healthy tp,

The lakers are a very good defensive team now that Dwight is locked in.

jermaine
04-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Someone should tell Pop to be like Coach Klien an picture something he's not afraid of when he sees the Lakers an use that as his tackling fuel. Visualize an attack!

Floyd Pacquiao
04-18-2013, 12:55 AM
it was always our players pussing out against them rather than pop imo

InRareForm
04-18-2013, 01:00 AM
just imagine if you asked this to pop. you would be scared back

ElNono
04-18-2013, 01:02 AM
just imagine if you asked this to pop. you would be scared back

He would do his dickwad act and not respond, tbh

SpurPadre
04-18-2013, 01:04 AM
Zero scared of D'Antoni and especially if Nash returns, who will play matador defense on TP. Then again, if they put Blake on TP, then I'd be a little worried, especially after what happened last Sunday in that matchup.

TampaDude
04-18-2013, 01:05 AM
Zero scared of D'Antoni and especially if Nash returns, who will play matador defense on TP. Then again, if they put Blake on TP, then I'd be a little worried, especially after what happened last Sunday in that matchup.

Both TP and Splitter shat the bed in that game and we still almost beat the Lakers. Spurs in 5.

SpurPadre
04-18-2013, 01:05 AM
He would do his dickwad act and not respond, tbh

I hope someone asks him if he'll remind the team about what happened back in '11 when they lost to a low seed, lol. That kind of question went well the last time someone asked him that.

james evans
04-18-2013, 01:06 AM
the last few years, pop has been a guy that just wants to have his way and say "to hell with u" if u don't agree with it. he'll play bonner, splitter, colo, and neal 8 minutes of the 4th quarter in a game 7 if someone tells him he shouldn't just to prove a point that he's in charge. the man listens to noone and that's been our downfall lately.

SpurPadre
04-18-2013, 01:07 AM
Both TP and Splitter shat the bed in that game and we still almost beat the Lakers. Spurs in 5.

Spurs in 4 if Manu is MANU and if Splitter grows a pair, tbh.

james evans
04-18-2013, 01:08 AM
not at all. Not at all with a Kobe-less lakers.
that's why anyone should be afraid of the lakers. the lakers with kobe is 1 guys shooting 25+ bad shots and expecting his teammates to rebound his misses. the lakers without kobe is a team moving the ball working it from inside out and teams not knowing where the threat is coming from.

SupremeGuy
04-18-2013, 01:11 AM
lol @ phil outcoaching anyone... Jordan was the Bulls' coach and my hs coach could have won with Shaq and little kobe, tbh

Blake
04-18-2013, 01:21 AM
How would we see an example of fear by a coach?

EricB
04-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Mid said it downstairs, if the Spurs choke major internal changes need to happen. Pop might be one of them.

Lmfao

hilarity

spurs10
04-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Best opponent we could hope for. Yeah, Pop is shaking in his boots. The Spurs are going to blow the Lakers off the map. He knows this, as does everyone else.
:ihit

ElNono
04-18-2013, 01:28 AM
How would we see an example of fear by a coach?

2008 WCF would be a good example.

Johnny RIngo
04-18-2013, 01:47 AM
lol @ phil outcoaching anyone... Jordan was the Bulls' coach and my hs coach could have won with Shaq and little kobe, tbh

lol at thinking Pop is better than Phil. Pop couldn't outcoach Avery Johnson...with homecourt...with a dominant series from Duncan.

Blake
04-18-2013, 01:55 AM
What did Pop do in 2008 that showed fear?

crc21209
04-18-2013, 02:03 AM
No Phil Jackson. That is ALL that needs to be said. Pop never feared the Lakers themselves, but it was something about Phil Jackson that always got the best of Pop. That and prime Shaq and Kobe and some guy named Fisher had ALOT to do with it as well....

ElNono
04-18-2013, 02:08 AM
What did Pop do in 2008 that showed fear?

He got over-confident when we took that 20pt lead in Game 1, put Udoka in, Kobe caught fire and after losing that game we could never really recover. Phil ended up having Radmanovic and Vujacic running circles around our bench.

To be fair, there's been way too many mental bruises, including .4, the Fish foul on Barry, etc. so it's not like there's no reason for his fear.

But none of that is there anymore.

Johnny RIngo
04-18-2013, 02:11 AM
He got over-confident when we took that 20pt lead in Game 1, put Udoka in, Kobe caught fire and after losing that game we could never really recover. Phil ended up having Radmanovic and Vujacic running circles around our bench.

To be fair, there's been way too many mental bruises, including .04, the Fish foul on Barry, etc. so it's not like there's no reason for his fear.

But none of that is there anymore.

Never understood Pop's obsession with scrub players. He does this same shit with Bonner now.

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 02:15 AM
lol at thinking Pop is better than Phil. Pop couldn't outcoach Avery Johnson...with homecourt...with a dominant series from Duncan.SMALL BALL! That lead us back into it!

Johnny RIngo
04-18-2013, 02:25 AM
SMALL BALL! That lead us back into it!

lot of bad memories of Finley playing power forward...almost as bad as Blair playing small forward

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 02:34 AM
lot of bad memories of Finley playing power forward...almost as bad as Blair playing small forward

I agree on Fins playing SF, but he played his ass of that series with his dunks and his threes, he surely is not the reason we lost that series against Dallas! He went all out at times, his dunks were crazy lol. Pop going small though was not great, but hey they got to 7 and almost won? Should he have played Nazr and Horry more etc. that series> He just seemed to give up all in all with that series there and playing tall ball, he went small. They still almost won it though? We were down 3-1, was going small the reason they got back in it? If he goes big do we go down 3-1? We will never know at all. That series still has me puzzled.

hater
04-18-2013, 03:41 AM
:lmao Manufan conveniently forgetting Manu was injured in 2008. Dude hurt his ankle vs. the Suns and was never 100%. It was miraculously and help of crafty Rob HOrry that we somehow squeaked past the Hornets. But vs. a Gasol Laker team, Spurs who had slept on the plane the night before series started, were just playing with house money the entire series vs. the lakers.

How anyone can blame that series on Pop is beyond me.

callo1
04-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Pop can be his own worst enemy...Pringles is over on the other bench...nuff said.

100%duncan
04-18-2013, 08:39 AM

Spurs in 6.

Just dont start the game threads and we're good.

Blake
04-18-2013, 08:43 AM
This would be the biggest choke in SA history if they drop this series.

No it wouldn't

Capt Bringdown
04-18-2013, 09:26 AM
tbh, I though Phil cut deep in his psyche. Now Phil isn't there anymore, but whenever we play them I get the feeling Pop is still scared.

It's silly too, because D'Antoni is a horrible coach. What you guys say, agree or disagree? If agree, any reasons for that fear?

I think Pop's inferiority complex is something a lot of Spurs fans deny. Moreover, the fear is apparent on the court as well, in some very unexpected places. If I see a certain someone do that f'n slumped-shoulders, head-hanging routine I'm gonna scream.

Russo21
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Man this is gonna be a blast from the past. Awesome first round matchup

jjktkk
04-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Can't see Pop being afraid of D'antoni.

Blake
04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Since Pop isn't playing, I can't see Pop being afraid of anybody.

Maybe Metta World War

Blake
04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Dp

SpurYank
04-18-2013, 10:14 AM
In addition to our own talent on this team, we have added help on the Lakers team. World Peace will find a way to do some stupid-ass thing that will cost them. Howard hasn't displayed an ability to play under pressure. His Magic team never gave him that experience. Their coach has been down this road before against Pop, Timmy, Manu, Tony, etc. and "it ain't good."

Finally, exactly how healthy is Nash? What has he done this year?

This series cannot go past 5 or 6 games. Based on the above, you know which team will win.

Fabbs
04-18-2013, 11:43 AM
I think Pop's inferiority complex is something a lot of Spurs fans deny. Moreover, the fear is apparent on the court as well, in some very unexpected places. If I see a certain someone do that f'n slumped-shoulders, head-hanging routine I'm gonna scream.
nicely stated.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-18-2013, 11:55 AM

I don't often post but when I do it's usually because I have something important to say. Now I don't want you to take this personal but your threads are terrible. Again I don't know who you are, what you do, etc but I certainly hope that your contribution to this website is not the culmination of your life.

JR3
04-18-2013, 12:32 PM
I think the lakers are just as good without Kobe. Not as clutch though.. if its close in the 4th.. I like our guys chances...

Spurs9
04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Very glad to see we are playing the lakers.

Horse
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Did you really just say you're worried if fucking steve blake guards Parker? He was obviouly not himself last sunday didn't even finish the game. If he's even close to healthy he will rape blakes sorry ass.

Man In Black
04-18-2013, 12:54 PM
More like Mustache with Teeth is afraid of Pop. See 2:20 Mark.
0-ecQpyrMpU

lowdown
04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
I think Pop does get afraid of the bright lights. The only intimidating aspect of this current Lakers team is the hype that comes from the franchise/media. I'm not saying they have no talent but especially without Kobe it shouldn't be a close series - but it will be 'cause Pop doesn't instill a killer mentality. That's the one thing - and I mean ONE THING - that Phil had on Pop. Phil Jackson brought a confidence/swagger to his teams whereas sometimes the Spurs come off as timid. Oh, also thanks ElNono for the Manu article you posted last week!

SpurPadre
04-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Did you really just say you're worried if fucking steve blake guards Parker? He was obviouly not himself last sunday didn't even finish the game. If he's even close to healthy he will rape blakes sorry ass.

Yeah I was being serious. What makes you think TP will be himself on Sunday? We have no indications he's at 100% now and may be hiding the severity of his condition. Hopefully he will be at or near 100% and gets to that point as we move further into the playoffs.

Darius Bieber
04-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Pop has given zero shits lately, I'm sure he isn't even feeling any different of facing the Lakers now.

mercos
04-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Fear is a strong word. I don't think Pop wanted to play the Lakers. I'm not going to try and guess his strategy over the past few games, but it sure seemed like he was tanking to get the two spot and avoid the Lakers at #8. It doesn't matter if Phil, Kobe, and Derek Fisher are gone, whoever wears a Laker uniform is going to get the calls. Pop knows this, and knows that his team has a tendency to quit when the calls go against them. I expect almost every 50/50 call to go LA's way in this series, as they have a decent shot of making the WCF if they get past the Spurs. Denver is banged up, and Golden State is not that good, so the second round could be a cake walk for whoever wins this series. A Lakers/Thunder WCF will get a lot better ratings than Spurs/Thunder.

EVAY
04-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Fear is a strong word. I don't think Pop wanted to play the Lakers. I'm not going to try and guess his strategy over the past few games, but it sure seemed like he was tanking to get the two spot and avoid the Lakers at #8. It doesn't matter if Phil, Kobe, and Derek Fisher are gone, whoever wears a Laker uniform is going to get the calls. Pop knows this, and knows that his team has a tendency to quit when the calls go against them. I expect almost every 50/50 call to go LA's way in this series, as they have a decent shot of making the WCF if they get past the Spurs. Denver is banged up, and Golden State is not that good, so the second round could be a cake walk for whoever wins this series. A Lakers/Thunder WCF will get a lot better ratings than Spurs/Thunder.

This. They are the ratings draw and they will get the calls. Book that.

ElNono
04-18-2013, 01:37 PM
I don't often post but when I do it's usually because I have something important to say. Now I don't want you to take this personal but your threads are terrible. Again I don't know who you are, what you do, etc but I certainly hope that your contribution to this website is not the culmination of your life.

Might aswell saved yourself the post... lol important

ElNono
04-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Since Pop isn't playing, I can't see Pop being afraid of anybody.

Maybe Metta World War

I have no problem with people disagreeing on this. Admittedly, it's more of a perception thing than anything.

Big Empty
04-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Lakers are a good team even w/o Kobe. But the thing with LA is they are going to get a ton of calls which can keep them lingering around.

hater
04-18-2013, 03:20 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

to be fair ElNono is not that terrible. But all his opinions on Manu, Parker and now this Pop's supposedly being scared theory(:lmao) are pretty terrible and laughable

ohmwrecker
04-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Pop doesn't fear Yoda, or (lol) Pringles. It's Stern he fears.

Spur|n|Austin
04-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Zip, zero, nada amount of mentally scared.

Fabbs
04-18-2013, 03:30 PM
When Matty Bonner is marched out yet again as a playoff 6th or 7th man it will certainly put fear into Laker.

Venti Quattro
04-18-2013, 03:33 PM
If Pop tried to avoid the Lakers in the last 2 weeks or so... :lol

Brazil
04-18-2013, 03:35 PM

:lol one of the most random post of the year

:lol I have something important to say

DesignatedT
04-18-2013, 03:41 PM

:lol awesome.

Arcadian
04-18-2013, 03:43 PM

Spurs in 6.

If you think the Lakers will win their home games, why would you pick the Spurs in 6? Game 6 would be played in LA. So by your logic, it's Spurs in 7 at best.

Seventyniner
04-18-2013, 04:05 PM
_'Antoni is far more scared of the Spurs than Pop is scared of the Lakers.

Brunodf
04-18-2013, 04:14 PM
:lolD'Antoni

ElNono
04-18-2013, 04:48 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

to be fair ElNono is not that terrible. But all his opinions on Manu, Parker and now this Pop's supposedly being scared theory(:lmao) are pretty terrible and laughable

:lol mad after having to admit Manu looked good last night

:lol jumped on the Parker bandwagon and Tony proceeded to drop one turd after another

:lol consistently getting shat on by the players he cheers or disses

hater
04-18-2013, 04:57 PM

too late :lol

Pop is scared of a Fisher-less, Kobe-less, Jackson-less, Dantoni-with Lakers team. brilliant theory! :lmao

hater
04-18-2013, 05:04 PM
:lol mad after having to admit Manu looked good last night

like I said, I would be happy if Manu proves me wrong throughout the playoffs(I doubt it tho). If he can help us to and during the WCF, I will gladly and happily accept I was wrong about Manu (not likely) :tu

ElNono
04-18-2013, 05:35 PM
like I said, I would be happy if Manu proves me wrong throughout the playoffs(I doubt it tho). If he can help us to and during the WCF, I will gladly and happily accept I was wrong about Manu (not likely) :tu

:lol skipping the rest of the post

You would hate it, tbh... it would basically be par the course for you...

ElNono
04-18-2013, 05:37 PM
:lol one of the most random post of the year

:lol I have something important to say

What is this unimportant post? :lol

ElNono
04-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Pop is scared of a Fisher-less, Kobe-less, Jackson-less, Dantoni-with Lakers team. brilliant theory! :lmao

Hey, you disagree he's scared of them, that's fine... Browsing through the thread, apparently I'm far from the only one that thinks Pop holds some fear when it comes to that team, tbh.