PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts on Spurs vs. Lakers First Round Series

timvp
04-18-2013, 01:27 AM
-When it came down the Warriors, Rockets or Lakers, I really didn't have a preference. Each team has their areas of strengths where they could theoretically exploit the Spurs. However, the bigger reason why I didn't have a preference was because this first round series will be mostly about the Spurs. If they are healthy and can find some of their early-season rhythm, they should advance. But if they keep playing like they've played over the last few weeks, they'll be at the fishing pond quickly -- and that's true regardless of if they landed the Warriors, Rockets or Lakers.

-The Spurs caught an unlucky break when Kobe's Achilles tendon exploded. He's a damn good player, historically speaking, but he has been the anchor dragging down this year's Lakers team. He played no defense. On offense, he dominated the action with an arrogant iron fist. With that many great players around him, it was like he refused to even consider sharing the spotlight. He either wanted to score or tally the assist; no other outcome was acceptable. With him gone, the Lakers are a totally different team. Are they better without Kobe? They very well could be. It's too soon to state definitively either way ... but I wouldn't doubt that at all.

-Tony Parker's health will be the No. 1 key. No. 2 won't be anywhere in the vicinity. If he can shred the Lakers, the Spurs should roll. But if he's the gimpy imposter we've witnessed since his return from his latest absence, the Spurs are probably toast.

-No Boris Diaw in this series is huge. He's either the second or third best post defender on this team. DeJuan Blair and Matt Bonner have no shot against the Lakers frontline. Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter will need to play big minutes -- which means staying out of foul trouble.

-Will the winner of Game 1 win the series? Yeah, that's a safe bet. The Spurs are in desperate need of confidence. A Game 1 win will supply that. A loss and it could set off an ugly implosion.

-Metta World Peace will be a deceptively huge key in this series. He defends Kawhi Leonard extremely well. He also tends to hit a lot of threes against the Spurs. If both of those things are happening, that won't bode well for San Antonio.

-Gary Neal's late season reemergence is promising. There's going to come a time in this series against the Lakers where the Spurs will be desperate for points. If Neal can step up and fill in where Parker, Ginobili and Leonard can't (injury, injury, World Peace, respectively), the Spurs could sink or swim depending on Neal's production. (That's frightening to consider.)

-Expect a lot of Hack-a-Howard. And since the Spurs aren't in any kind of rhythm right now, I completely endorse it. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing a ton of it in Game 1 if things start looking iffy.

-I really don't know what to expect right now. The logical part of my brain has seen how bad the Spurs have played recently and thinks the Spurs are in for an early exit. But, on the other hemisphere, I think the Spurs may be able to flip a switch and the Lakers will be hurt due to their lack of sans-Kobe experience. I'm confused.

-As we head into the playoffs, I'd be thrilled if the Spurs can make it to the WCF with enough healthy bodies to give it a good run. Anything more than that would be gravy. Unfortunately, less than that wouldn't be surprising at all. Advance to the WCF with a puncher's chance -- please, oh, please /prayingdog.jpg

-The NBA Playoffs are here. Let's try to enjoy this :hungry:

lefty
04-18-2013, 01:28 AM
But Pop ..............

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 01:31 AM
I hope we can get to that WCF you speak of, with a punchers chance! That would be all I ask for.

spurraider21
04-18-2013, 01:33 AM
If Bonner's balls don't shrivel on the 3 point line, he could actually be useful. Have him in their for offense, and just have him hack-a-howard on defense. It completely masks his defensive/rebounding deficiency while highlighting his strengths.

However, Bonner's recent playoff issues can't be ignored

HarlemHeat37
04-18-2013, 01:33 AM
I can already envision widespread media outrage after the Spurs win a game using heavy Hack-a-Dwight in the 2nd half, tbh..

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 01:35 AM
If Bonner's balls don't shrivel on the 3 point line, he could actually be useful. Have him in their for offense, and just have him hack-a-howard on defense. It completely masks his defensive/rebounding deficiency while highlighting his strengths.

However, Bonner's recent playoff issues can't be ignored
Fuck BONNER, if he is even a key in these playoffs we are done. I won't even speak on him now and the playoffs.

Mugen
04-18-2013, 01:37 AM
I hope you and Pop can exercise some Laker demons after this series, timvp :lol

Ditty
04-18-2013, 01:37 AM
I have confidence in Parker and Duncan. If Ginobili shows up it will be a sweep no doubt. If we feel that we can't beat LA then we don't deserve to win a championship. Lets put these fuckers out of their misery.

Kuestmaster
04-18-2013, 01:39 AM
if we get past the lakers in 4-5 we are going to the wcf no matter what. we need the expend the least possible amount of energy against the fakers.

EricB
04-18-2013, 01:40 AM
Play T Mac. His size will be needed. I'd say Baynes but it won't happen. Always have either Duncan or Splitter out there.

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 01:41 AM
if we get past the lakers in 4-5 we are going to the wcf no matter what. we need the expend the least possible amount of energy against the fakers.

YEP, Kobe is out and Nash is banged up! If you can't beat that team without one of the best ever out there then so be it! But you should be able to.

Mugen
04-18-2013, 01:44 AM
A semi-competent McGrady would help against Jamison tbh. I know Pop's gonna trot Matty out there and we all know how that'll go.

Agree about Boris & Metta. He is a huge loss against the Lakers. Hopefully we see a lot of TP/Manu/Kawhi/Tiago/TD lineups. 2 out of our 3 perimeter guys should theoretically have a matchup advantage in their favor in that scenario.

As overrated as Kirby has been this season, they're not a better team without him over the course of a 7 game series IMO.

Fireball
04-18-2013, 01:44 AM
a lot of questions and I am looking forward to a great series ... when will dates for the games be announced?

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 01:46 AM
A semi-competent McGrady would help against Jamison tbh. I know Pop's gonna trot Matty out there and we all know how that'll go.

Agree about Boris & Metta. He is a huge loss against the Lakers. Hopefully we see a lot of TP/Manu/Kawhi/Tiago/TD lineups. 2 out of our 3 perimeter guys should theoretically have a matchup advantage in their favor in that scenario.

As overrated as Kirby has been this season, they're not a better team without him over the course of a 7 game series IMO.Kirby to me is still scary as hell in a series! Just the fact he is not out there can make you breath easier! He would go all out to win a series, calls and chucking away! Plus you know how he can get late with some clutch lucky shots! Diaw being out hurts, but Kobe being out hurts alot worse! I say Spurs in 5 but I could be wrong.

Brunodf
04-18-2013, 01:47 AM
YEP, Kobe is out and Nash is banged up! If you can't beat that team without one of the best ever out there then so be it! But you should be able to.
Both play no D and take away high percentage shots from DH/Gasol

InRareForm
04-18-2013, 01:49 AM
‏RT @JMcDonald_SAEN
To me, the game 5 days ago is a blueprint. Duncan is good enough. If Parker is anywhere north of terrible, Spurs win

sums up the series tbh

Floyd Pacquiao
04-18-2013, 01:50 AM
kinda woried about the banging tims body is gonna go through this series...its sucks we didn't get and integrate baynes earlier in the season, he would have come in handy...

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 01:50 AM
Both play no D and take away high percentage shots from DH/Gasol
Well they might not be in there playing (one for sure), so what do you want me to do? Kobe still is their best clutch guy, do not let things fool you he is a nightmare at times late in games! He takes shots away, but he carried them when Gasol was out and Howard banged up! He willed them to a few wins here or there. Gasol and Howard series it will be, period.

Brunodf
04-18-2013, 01:51 AM
‏RT @JMcDonald_SAEN
To me, the game 5 days ago is a blueprint. Duncan is good enough. If Parker is anywhere north of terrible, Spurs win

sums up the series tbh
Don't count on Gasol scoring just 2pts over Splitter every game.

SanDiegoSpursFan
We gotta guard that 3 point line. No need to send 4-5 guys into the paint whenever the Lakers penetrate.

spurraider21

As overrated as Kirby has been this season, they're not a better team without him over the course of a 7 game series IMO.
matty should only be out there when we're in the penalty so he can hack a howard

Brunodf
04-18-2013, 01:52 AM
Well they might not be in there playing (one for sure), so what do you want me to do? Kobe still is their best clutch guy, do not let things fool you he is a nightmare at times late in games! He takes shots away, but he carried them when Gasol was out and Howard banged up! He willed them to a few wins here or there. Gasol and Howard series it will be, period.
1/10

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 01:52 AM

Good lord I see believe under your name, but no Nash and Kobe and you say thats bad and now this here, just say we are going to lose already for GODS SAKES because that is what it sounds like you are saying here.
1/10
Like I said, just say we are going to lose already for GODS SAKES and keep it moving.

Mugen
04-18-2013, 01:53 AM
You know who else would have helped a lot against LA:

http://colderbythelakz.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/stephen_jackson-2.jpg

In fact, i think the Lakers would have been the only good matchup for Jack in the playoffs tbh.

Brunodf
04-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Good lord I see believe under your name, but no Nash and Kobe and you say thats bad and now this here, just say we are going to lose already for GODS SAKES because that is what it sounds like you are saying here.
No, we will beat them.:huh

Spurs in 6. But with Kobe would be easier...

InRareForm
04-18-2013, 01:56 AM

and don't count on blake going off for 18 points in 18 minutes either

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 01:57 AM

I seriously doubt in a playoff series with Kobe it would be easier, you can mention a regular season game all you want.... With Kobe though in the playoffs no it would not be easier to beat them.

Brunodf
04-18-2013, 02:02 AM
I seriously doubt in a playoff series with Kobe it would be easier, you can mention a regular season game all you want.... With Kobe though in the playoffs no it would not be easier to beat them.
1- Without Kobe DH will attack TD on the post almost every possession.
2- Without Kobe Gasol/3 point shooters will get more shots(they are less predictable)
3- Without Kobe their D is better

Johnny RIngo
You know who else would have helped a lot against LA:

http://colderbythelakz.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/stephen_jackson-2.jpg

In fact, i think the Lakers would have been the only good matchup for Jack in the playoffs tbh.

IIRC, Jack shit the bed against the Lakers in the '03 playoffs. He had a great series against the Suns/Mavs but didn't play all that well against the Lakers/Nets. He did have a hot shooting night in the second SA-LA game this year but he ended up getting ejected that game so he practically canceled out whatever good he did. His impact on the team is overrated, at this point.

Budkin

Bullshit... Kobe would be going HAM on us.

KaiRMD1
04-18-2013, 02:05 AM
I hope this board is ready because the Spurs team I've seen in recent months can't compete with anybody it looks like. The shit storm from Lakers fans will be inevitable.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-18-2013, 02:06 AM
There's no better confidence boost for a Spurs team in disarray than eliminating the Lakers, IF they can pull it off.

I think it's a 6 or 7 game series with a slight edge to the Spurs.

Man In Black
Who would have thought that the Steve the LAL believes in has a last name of Blake?

Who knows if Nash is ready, but he is 39 years old and going on 40 and here out West, opinion vary on is he'll play in the 1st round at all.

Spurs in 5 if they control tempo and speed up the game. With Ginobili back, the spacing improves all the way around.

I advocate Hack-a-Howard and I say send BANE to do it. Yes, I know his last name is Baynes, but we need a nice solid basketball foul to show the world that we ain't playing catholic high school basketball.

crc21209
It will all come down to how TP feels and how he plays. If he is right then he can torch Nash (if he even plays) and Blake any time he wants. And as bad as we have looked the past couple weeks, our bench >>> their bench. I'll take Manu, Neal, De Colo/CoJo over Morris, Meeks, Jamison, and Clark any day. I also think Dwight Howard is mentally soft. For being such a big guy, he gets flustered easily when teams continue to foul him over and over again. I also think he doesn't take things serious enough to be a franchise player. He's always joking around and acting like an idiot...

siraulo23
04-18-2013, 02:08 AM
I fing love NBA Playoffs

crc21209
04-18-2013, 02:09 AM
I also think this series is the perfect opportunity to play T-Mac. It's not like the Lakers have a good bench, because they don't. Throw T-Mac out there with Manu, Neal, CoJo/De Colo, and Bonner. He has the length to defend a guy like Jamison and also go at him on the offensive end as well...:tu

Tuddy
04-18-2013, 02:23 AM
All depends on Parkers health

spurraider21
04-18-2013, 02:25 AM
I also think this series is the perfect opportunity to play T-Mac. It's not like the Lakers have a good bench, because they don't. Throw T-Mac out there with Manu, Neal, CoJo/De Colo, and Bonner. He has the length to defend a guy like Jamison and also go at him on the offensive end as well...:tu

It's the perfect opportunity to play T-Mac because I feel we will be holding comfortable leads throughout the series, especially during our home games

polandprzem
04-18-2013, 02:34 AM
LJ you liar !!!!!

I do not believe you you did not care who the spurs gonna play against.
Of course the LAKERS ! The history and old nemesis.

Weeee rollllinnnnnnnnn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny RIngo
04-18-2013, 02:40 AM
It's the perfect opportunity to play T-Mac because I feel we will be holding comfortable leads throughout the series, especially during our home games

TMac won't get any burn. Pop didn't even give him time in a meaningless game tonight.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-18-2013, 02:45 AM
:lollook if the scrubby lastplace in 3 point shooting twolves went off on us from 3, imagine what blake mamba jodi meeks and antwan jamison are gonna do to us...

justinandimcool
04-18-2013, 02:46 AM
Jesus, wake up people. I'm as pessimistic as they come but did everyone forget their prozac? Even if we're mediocre offensively, we aren't going to let Steve Blake and Jodie Meeks and the corpse of Ron Artest consistently beat us. Gasol and Howard aren't going to magically elevate this team into worldbeaters offensively. At their absolute toughest they shot 35% today against a Rockets team that plays Greg Smith big minutes. Twolves game and 4th quarter at GSW aside, this team is still solid defensively. No one wearing purple/gold can beat us off the dribble, no one can consistently shoot. Denver is a question mark, but this Laker matchup is not "confusing".

It might take 5 maybe 6 games to do it, but holy shit this series is not in doubt, at all.

04-18-2013, 02:50 AM
spurs have gone limp towards the end of the season. maybe a meeting with the lakers will harden them back up.

Fireball
04-18-2013, 02:55 AM
just win the first two games and gain confidence for the rest of the playoffs ... I mean the Lakers went through overtime to be able to face the Spurs ... lets stick it to them

hater
04-18-2013, 03:05 AM
Bullshit... Kobe would be going HAM on us.

ding ding ding

:lol can't believe ppl saying Lakers w/out Kobe are easier for Spurs. Kobe has been an absolute Spurs killer in the playoffs, why on earth would it be any different this year?? Spurs dodged a bullet IMO

I do agree that game 1 is huge and must win for Spurs, but also game 2 is same. If Spurs go to LA with a 1-1 or worse, its panic time.(TMAC time and all that) But if Spurs go to LA 2-0. They pretty much got the series in the bag. LA just does not have enough guns to go OKC on us.

So yes, game 1 on sunday is HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE

objective
04-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Hack-a-Dwight would be foolish. It was dumb the other night too. Lakers were under 60 points through 3 quarters and Pop still did it. They couldn't score, but Pop still put him on the line and gave them points.

Just stop, Pop.

chapnis
04-18-2013, 04:12 AM
Spurs just need the sweep. We can't let the series get to 3-1 with T-Mac on the roster.

In all seriousness though, GSG, I still believe.

temujin
04-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Bar an unlikely resurrection of Parker and Ginobili,

Stern will have his Denver-LAL semi.

John B
04-18-2013, 05:29 AM
Spurs have 3 days off before they play Sunday. I expect Tony will be well-rested and would give us 30+ pts to carry the team. No way Blake could guard him. I'm more afraid of the 2nd game that we could lose focus. But I'd expect Spurs to steal one in Staples. D'Antoni would be grimmacing in the sideline.

Raven
04-18-2013, 05:32 AM
refs aside, i really can't see how we couldn't exploit the worst backcourt in the play offs..

temujin
04-18-2013, 05:40 AM
refs aside, i really can't see how we couldn't exploit the worst backcourt in the play offs..

refs are not Aside, but Inside the court.
Actually, they run the show.

Plus Lakers without Kobe almost resemble to an actual basketball team.

milkyway21
04-18-2013, 05:56 AM
The interesting stat in this series is between Duncan & Howard, both very good on defense but while Duncan's FT % has improved to 82% this season(his highest so far), Howard is still at 49.2%

I don't know if we Pop will use his hack a >> in this series, but knowing him who knows ? :D

benefactor
04-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Pringles is still their coach.

Spurs in 5.

CGD
04-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Spurs need a kick in the pants. If Playing the Lakers, with all the hype they're gonna get and predictions of upsetting the 2 seed doesn't whip the spurs into shape, nothing will. I'm glad we drew this match up.

Cane
04-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Lakers elbowed the shit out of Asik today. Time to unleash the Baynes and throw some hard fouls on D12.

Leetonidas
04-18-2013, 06:59 AM
as much as i like to troll lakerfan about kobe, he is still their best player and i disagree that they are better without him.

wouldn't it be nice if this was the one fucking year of his life that Matt Bonner stepped up in the playoffs...

Spur|n|Austin
04-18-2013, 07:08 AM
I have confidence in Parker and Duncan. If Ginobili shows up it will be a sweep no doubt. If we feel that we can't beat LA then we don't deserve to win a championship. Lets put these fuckers out of their misery.

I take it you were kidding a couple days ago when you said Spurs would take a first round exit then?

Tuddy
04-18-2013, 07:14 AM
The worst basketball analyst, charley Rosen, just picked the spurs to beat the heat in 7. Lets hope he's right for the first time

UZER
04-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Spurs have no business losing to the Lakers...none. If they do, its on Pop, plain and simple.

Captivus
04-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Blake is their key (OMG, I cant believes im saying this!).
He looks mentally tough, always with game face on.
Green will get open looks, he needs to score.
Neal has to attack the basket and shoot FT and get fouls. He can make his own shot, we need him to score.

bklynspursfan
04-18-2013, 08:12 AM
I posted a thread on this, but check this video out. From their previous match up, most of the Spurs issues came off mental mistakes and effort, aside from missing a ton of open shots. Parker was the biggest culprit. I have little doubt that those areas won't get fixed an sharpened come Sunday. Doubling Dwight was very effective cause he's not a great passer out of the double team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gkG0uGk3rGE

Phenomanul
04-18-2013, 08:15 AM
D'Antoni (no Phil Jackson) vs. Pop - Adavantage Spurs
No Kobe Bryant - TBD (Advantage Spurs IMO)
No Derek Fisher - Adavantage Spurs
Hack-a-Howard - Adavantage Spurs
Plantar Gasolitis - Advantage Spurs
Less than 100% TP - Advantage Lakers

ummm... Spurs got this in 5...

SenorSpur
04-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Hack-a-Dwight would be foolish. It was dumb the other night too. Lakers were under 60 points through 3 quarters and Pop still did it. They couldn't score, but Pop still put him on the line and gave them points.

Just stop, Pop.

I don't like the Hack-a-Dwight strategy either. It's the one noticeable tactic that Pop inherited from his wacky mentor, Don Nelson. I understand it, but for basketball purists, I think it's a cowardice way to play basketball. If your team isn't good enough or talented enough defensively to neutralize the other team, without having to resort to such junky tactics, you deserve to lose.

SenorSpur
04-18-2013, 08:26 AM
One annoying aspect of this series, and we got a preview last night during the Rockets/Fakers game, will be Kobe incessantly tweeting from his couch, while the networks deem it necessary to post every single comment he will have to say. If he wants to use his batphone to contact his team before games and at halftime, that's his business. Other than that, no one gives a shit about what he has to say publically. Freaking drama queen!

bklynspursfan
04-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo (https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo)34s (https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/324876468087824384)
Lakers guard Steve Nash and GM Mitch Kupchak express optimism about Nash's return from injury in Game 1 versus Spurs. http://yhoo.it/14y59EF (http://t.co/kOxFjF9wWK)

TP will be licking his chops

boutons_deux
04-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Pop did hack-a-dwight as entertainment because he was bored, maybe frustrated, with Spurs' yet-again shitty "basketball".

The_Worlds_finest
04-18-2013, 08:29 AM
.. Bonner's balls.... shrivel on the 3 point line, ........ and just have him hack-a-howard on defense......

However, Bonner's recent playoff issues can't be ignored The undeniable truths of your post, hope I eat a big ol helping of crow..

boutons_deux
04-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Nash without KobeBall will be more effective in controlling the offense, if he's in any kind of shape.

Stabula
04-18-2013, 08:42 AM
lakers in 4

Russ
04-18-2013, 08:53 AM
I have a feeling that Parker is fine. He has played at half speed not because he's injured, but because he knows his ankle is susceptible to reinjury -- if that happens he's done for the season.

So expect Parker to take to the air again in wild charges to the hoop. But not until it can be justified if he gets hurt again -- in other words, Sunday.

That said, I think Pop may have overreacted to the perils of last year's season-ending win streak by concocting a series of lineups in the name of rest. In an effort to avoid the "problems" of '12 he may recreate those of '11 -- a controlled retreat into the playoffs. Controlled retreats often devolve into disorganized panics -- just ask the South Vietnamese army.

Personally, I'll take last year over '11 any day.

One good thing, it looks like the Spurs are very healthy (although I know the media and others disagree). Other than Diaw, it looks like all the guys are just about 100%. So no excuses.

Beat the Lakers!

silverblackfan
04-18-2013, 09:20 AM
I am glad the first round worked out this way. Although the Spurs would have loved to have the Houston travel time, it is much nicer to knock the Lakers out of the first round with Bean watching on the bench. If the Spurs can't beat the Lakers and the predicted Ref bias, then they have no shot of advancing and eventually beating OKC. On the other hand, winning against the Lakers & Stern would be great preparation for the future rounds. The scheduling for the first round includes lots of days off and I would think that Pop can really destroy any scenarios that D'Antoni can come up with.
The side bonus is that the Thunder have to deal with Harden's many phantom calls to offset theirs. That should be a great grudge match game. BTW, anyone think it is funny how the Thunder/Houston game starts late on Sunday?
Golden State vs. Denver will also be a good round.
Should be fun.

Legacy
04-18-2013, 09:29 AM
This is the first-round match up that I've always wanted for us these past few weeks, tbh. If we're going to go down (not that I'm proclaiming we will)... then I want it to be against an arch-nemesis like the Fakers. Simple as that. :vomit: I want all-out WAR. No stats, no special analyzations, recaps, magical, thought-up scenarios right now, etc; ... I just want to see some destruction (coming from our end, of course :p:). Prayerfully, The Spurs will want it just as bad, too. We'll just have to wait and see. Again, I'm just enjoying the ride right now and seeing where it takes us. *shrug*

midnightpulp
04-18-2013, 09:34 AM
I posted a thread on this, but check this video out. From their previous match up, most of the Spurs issues came off mental mistakes and effort, aside from missing a ton of open shots. Parker was the biggest culprit. I have little doubt that those areas won't get fixed an sharpened come Sunday. Doubling Dwight was very effective cause he's not a great passer out of the double team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gkG0uGk3rGE

Parker got whatever he wanted. Those missed shots weren't even the result of Dwight altering/affecting his shot. He just flat out muffed them.

It's encouraging to see how Parker can get into the lane at will, even slightly hobbled and with Howard roaming around the interior. Spurs will be fine if he doesn't pull a classic chokejob. He doesn't even need to be "all-star" Tony Parker. 40% shooting should be adequate enough.

EVAY
04-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Lakers elbowed the shit out of Asik today. Time to unleash the Baynes and throw some hard fouls on D12.

I agree. Completely. Baynes can bang with Howard. Of course he will foul out, but who cares?

boutons_deux
04-18-2013, 09:39 AM
The Spurs have been so horrible for so long, and there ain't no switch, I have serious doubts that they can beat the improved-by-Kobe-less-ness Lakers, even if Nash is worthless on returning.

EVAY
04-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Good to see that expectations regarding who will be blamed if we lose are spot on. Parker.

So, if we win does that mean that Parker would also be the reason?

emanueldavidginobili
04-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Spurs sweep them. Book it.

Russo21
04-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Spurs sweep them. Book it.

+1

bklynspursfan
04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Parker got whatever he wanted. Those missed shots weren't even the result of Dwight altering/affecting his shot. He just flat out muffed them.

It's encouraging to see how Parker can get into the lane at will, even slightly hobbled and with Howard roaming around the interior. Spurs will be fine if he doesn't pull a classic chokejob. He doesn't even need to be "all-star" Tony Parker. 40% shooting should be adequate enough.

Exactly... He missed so many easy shots that he normally hits. Couple that with that fact that Nash could play, and getting into the paint just got that much easier. Having Manu to do the same off the bench will also be a plus. Guys need to knock down their shots. Green has been in a big time funk as has Kawhi shooting the ball from 3. Neal has been great.

midnightpulp
04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Good to see that expectations regarding who will be blamed if we lose are spot on. Parker.

Yes.

18ppg on 40%ish shooting with a few dimes while keeping the TOs to a minimum is all I think is needed from him.

If he can't produce that against the Lakers, a team that has been getting smoked by PGs all year, then he should retire from basketball and get into the night club business with his buddy Drake.

Russo21
04-18-2013, 09:56 AM
TMAC will do better then Kobe that's for sure ;)

Chomag
04-18-2013, 10:06 AM
After watching some Laker games as it stands now even Spurs playing some at their worst is still a tad better then Lakers imo. Bare in mind Lakers still have an opportunity to get there shit together and prove more formidable.

As for today I see Spurs in 5 maybe 6

Now if Lakers somehow steal game 1 then this will be a totally different series because of how fragile Spurs confidence is right now. Game 1 is a must win IMO They very badly need the confidence boost .

Russo21
04-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Be EPIC if Kome and TMAC were prime

ffadicted
04-18-2013, 10:14 AM
tbqhimhoaicsi prayingdog.jpg

DesignatedT
04-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Depressing write up. No confidence.

Brazil
04-18-2013, 10:24 AM
-When it came down the Warriors, Rockets or Lakers, I really didn't have a preference. Each team has their areas of strengths where they could theoretically exploit the Spurs. However, the bigger reason why I didn't have a preference was because this first round series will be mostly about the Spurs. If they are healthy and can find some of their early-season rhythm, they should advance. But if they keep playing like they've played over the last few weeks, they'll be at the fishing pond quickly -- and that's true regardless of if they landed the Warriors, Rockets or Lakers.

-I really don't know what to expect right now. The logical part of my brain has seen how bad the Spurs have played recently and thinks the Spurs are in for an early exit. But, on the other hemisphere, I think the Spurs may be able to flip a switch and the Lakers will be hurt due to their lack of sans-Kobe experience. I'm confused.

-As we head into the playoffs, I'd be thrilled if the Spurs can make it to the WCF with enough healthy bodies to give it a good run. Anything more than that would be gravy. Unfortunately, less than that wouldn't be surprising at all. Advance to the WCF with a puncher's chance -- please, oh, please /prayingdog.jpg

-The NBA Playoffs are here. Let's try to enjoy this :hungry:

this is exactly why I said relax and enjoy. I don't remember any year entering in the POs with so many ???? we have absolutely no clue of what the Spurs are going to produce in game 1...

Amuseddaysleeper
04-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Depressing write up. No confidence.

Can you blame him bud?

phxspurfan
04-18-2013, 10:44 AM
I want to see me some tmac

Russ
04-18-2013, 10:59 AM
The key -- run 'em to death. The Spurs' running game may be the thing people are missing about this series.

The Reckoning
04-18-2013, 11:00 AM
yeah fakers looked disorganized and out of sync whereas spurs were playing an exhibition game.

if they up the tempo playoff style they should get a huge lead jump on the lakers before they find any sort of rhythm.

bklynspursfan
04-18-2013, 11:09 AM
I've sort of felt this team was holding back a little. Don't let the last month's play indicate how this team will be come Sunday. That's basically what Pop is saying too-

"We had a struggling month but we are who we are so to speak," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "That can be very different between now and Sunday. We'll be who we are on Sunday as opposed to who we are today."

Dex
04-18-2013, 11:11 AM
-No Boris Diaw in this series is huge. He's either the second or third best post defender on this team. DeJuan Blair and Matt Bonner have no shot against the Lakers frontline. Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter will need to play big minutes -- which means staying out of foul trouble.

Considering this, I wonder if Baynes will get any significant run in this series. Not only will it be difficult for both Duncan and Splitter to avoid foul trouble over the course of a seven game series against Gasol and Howard, but I also don't like the idea of trying to play them 40 mpg. Duncan will be spent by the 4th quarter when we need him most, and it also wouldn't save him much wear and tear if the Spurs advance to the later rounds.

Baynes obviously is still very green and doesn't have the best defensive awareness, but he is a beast on the boards, can provide some low post offense, and is at least not at an immediate disadvantage due to his size like Bonner or Blair would be. I would think that the Spurs would prefer to have the Lakers shooting from the perimeter as opposed to throwing it down low to their two stars, so as long as Baynes stays in the paint and doesn't try to do too much on offense, I believe he could do more good than bad.

I also weep at the thought of yet another playoff run with Bonner and Blair being the first bigs off the bench. :cry Knowing Pop though, he will opt to try to survive the known as opposed to gambling on the unknown.

Spurs da champs
04-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Tiago better toughen up for this series, those weak up & unders aren't gonna cut it for this series.

HarlemHeat37
04-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Baynes would foul out in 5 minutes in this series, tbh..

NBA refs don't respect players they don't know, let alone against the Lakers..

Trill Clinton
04-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Tiago better toughen up for this series, those weak up & unders aren't gonna cut it for this series.

word. dwight is going to have a field day blocking that weak shit. but unfortunately, those ugly scoop hook shots aren't going anywhere any time soon.

pad300
04-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Baynes would foul out in 5 minutes in this series, tbh..

NBA refs don't respect players they don't know, let alone against the Lakers..

Quite possible. However, I'm not sure that I would have a problem with that, if they are 6 playoff fouls... The kind that leave bruises.

Dex
04-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Quite possible. However, I'm not sure that I would have a problem with that, if they are 6 playoff fouls... The kind that leave bruises.

And all on Howard.

HarlemHeat37
04-18-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't have a problem with it either, just saying, tbh..

Even when he plays well, I absolutely detest seeing DeJuan Blair on the floor, his game doesn't belong on a top team, tbh..he would fit perfectly with the Kings or Bobcats, not in the playoffs..

InRareForm
04-18-2013, 12:13 PM
The good news with no Kobe is that a 10 point lead on Lakers is essentially a 10 point lead. With Kobe on the court, a 10 point lead is really like a 5 point lead.

silverblackfan
04-18-2013, 12:23 PM
And all on Howard.

I prefer a few on Gasol. He seems more likely to feel it the next day.

Horse
04-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Bonner actually could do some good pulling one of the bigs out of the paint.

Horse
04-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Considering this, I wonder if Baynes will get any significant run in this series. Not only will it be difficult for both Duncan and Splitter to avoid foul trouble over the course of a seven game series against Gasol and Howard, but I also don't like the idea of trying to play them 40 mpg. Duncan will be spent by the 4th quarter when we need him most, and it also wouldn't save him much wear and tear if the Spurs advance to the later rounds.

Baynes obviously is still very green and doesn't have the best defensive awareness, but he is a beast on the boards, can provide some low post offense, and is at least not at an immediate disadvantage due to his size like Bonner or Blair would be. I would think that the Spurs would prefer to have the Lakers shooting from the perimeter as opposed to throwing it down low to their two stars, so as long as Baynes stays in the paint and doesn't try to do too much on offense, I believe he could do more good than bad.

I also weep at the thought of yet another playoff run with Bonner and Blair being the first bigs off the bench. :cry Knowing Pop though, he will opt to try to survive the known as opposed to gambling on the unknown.

Maybe Pop finally learned from the memphis series. We need to just run their asses out of the building and not have to worry about minutes.

Man In Black
04-18-2013, 12:59 PM
The view from LA Times is Spurs in 6.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-video-lakers-spurs-20130418,0,7402276.story

rmt
04-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Pop should play Baynes at the end of quarters 1, 2, and 3 when they get into the bonus - have him foul Howard - use up those 6 fouls. Splitter should play as many minutes as Duncan - he's only 28 why can't he go as long as TD. No Turd Towers - one of TD/TS on the court at all times.

Leonard - practice those 3s (iirc, he's gone 0-7 over the past 3 games) - he's lost confidence in that shot and passing up wide open 3s to drive into traffic.

Speed up the game - push the pace - TD and Manu, outlet the ball to Neal - Leonard, Green and De Colo, practice that fast break.

TP - stay attached to Blake - no open 3s.

Double team Howard when he gets the ball in the post.

Splitter - please defend Gasol well - IMO, he's the key (facilitator).

Pop, don't underestimate D'Antoni - Kobe will be on the bench coaching.

Pop, play your key guys heavy minutes the first 2 games (2-3 days rest before games) - get those first 2 games & put pressure on them. Spread the minutes more in the every other day games thereafter.

Josepatches_
04-18-2013, 01:04 PM
-The Spurs caught an unlucky break when Kobe's Achilles tendon exploded. He's a damn good player, historically speaking, but he has been the anchor dragging down this year's Lakers team. He played no defense. On offense, he dominated the action with an arrogant iron fist. With that many great players around him, it was like he refused to even consider sharing the spotlight. He either wanted to score or tally the assist; no other outcome was acceptable. With him gone, the Lakers are a totally different team. Are they better without Kobe? They very well could be. It's too soon to state definitively either way ... but I wouldn't doubt that at all.

Agree

DesignatedT
04-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Can you blame him bud?

Where did I say he should be confident bud?

Still depressing though bud.

rmt
04-18-2013, 01:11 PM
And all on Howard.

Gasol tends to shrink too when the play gets physical (OTOH he shoots free-throws well). Splitter better come to defend well.

lowdown
04-18-2013, 01:17 PM
I agree with all your points Timvp except maybe the Kobe take. I mean, your right about his hero ball stuff but the Lakers are going to miss his killer clutch play. I am also confused 'cause the Spurs have consistently ended their recent seasons with epic choke jobs so history might repeat itself but the Spurs have the talent to handle the Lakers if their health permits.

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 01:41 PM
The good news with no Kobe is that a 10 point lead on Lakers is essentially a 10 point lead. With Kobe on the court, a 10 point lead is really like a 5 point lead.

I said just this to someone, you are right.

EVAY
04-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Pop should play Baynes at the end of quarters 1, 2, and 3 when they get into the bonus - have him foul Howard - use up those 6 fouls. Splitter should play as many minutes as Duncan - he's only 28 why can't he go as long as TD. No Turd Towers - one of TD/TS on the court at all times.

Leonard - practice those 3s (iirc, he's gone 0-7 over the past 3 games) - he's lost confidence in that shot and passing up wide open 3s to drive into traffic.

Speed up the game - push the pace - TD and Manu, outlet the ball to Neal - Leonard, Green and De Colo, practice that fast break.

TP - stay attached to Blake - no open 3s.

Splitter - please defend Gasol well - IMO, he's the key (facilitator).

Pop, don't underestimate D'Antoni - Kobe will be on the bench coaching.

Pop, play your key guys heavy minutes the first 2 games (2-3 days rest before games) - get those first 2 games & put pressure on them. Spread the minutes more in the every other day games thereafter.

Is that you, coach Thibideaux?

quentin_compson
04-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Saying the Lakers are better without Kobe is a bit of a stretch, I think. But they definitely play more team-oriented ball without him, and they will pound it into the low-post more. So Tim and Tiago will have their hands full. As a lot of people already mentioned, Diaw's absence will really hurt the Spurs in this series.

Still, if the Spurs play close to the best they have shown this season, they should win this series. A lot of question marks, though ...

taps
04-18-2013, 03:49 PM

No, Timmy gets credit for the win.

ploto
04-18-2013, 04:21 PM
I find it interesting how things have come back full circle to the Spurs playing against a Lakers team with talented big men. So much for small ball!

cheguevara
04-18-2013, 04:25 PM
true.

Find it funny it's D'antoni who has the mighty defensive bigs this time and must play half court ball. :lmao

truly if D'antoni wins this series we are in bizarro world

Spurs in 5

Spurs Brazil
04-18-2013, 04:39 PM
It's great to start against LA. Spurs will be ready. And beat them always give teams confidence going forward. If Tony is good we win this in 5.

Tiago or TD must be on the court all the time. When they go with Clark at 4 I don't want to see Bonner or Blair, go small with Manu at SF and Kawhi at PF.

FTL.

wildbill2u
04-18-2013, 05:42 PM
The Lakers will have to learn a new style (pound it down inside to their big men) with Kobe out. It will be a challenge for their coaches and players.

Our biggest liability is the health of key players like Manu and Parker along with the absence of Diaw. Even if he doesn't play offense enough, he is a big body and we are somewhat short there.

xtremesteven33
04-18-2013, 05:50 PM
If this was Phil Jackson coaching the Lakers right now I would fear a big time Spurs letdown.

But its Pringles.

Spurs in 5.

Legacy
04-18-2013, 06:01 PM
I wanna' see what T-Mac has to offer ASAP, dagnabbit!! :hungry:

TD 21
04-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Splitter should play as many minutes as Duncan - he's only 28 why can't he go as long as TD. No Turd Towers - one of TD/TS on the court at all times.

Because he's a Spur. Honestly, there's no logical reason why a guy with his relative youth and body type can't handle 35 mpg, yet a behemoth like M. Gasol can.

Foul trouble notwithstanding, I wouldn't even bother playing Blair. I'd go Duncan 38 mpg, Splitter 34 mpg, Bonner 24 mpg.

Couldn't disagree more. Let him go nuts and get his, as well as Gasol, just don't let the others get off from three. Not a single one can create their own shot, so the only way they can generate enough offense to win is if the Spurs overreact to being physically overwhelmed in the post at times.

This is definitely all about the Spurs, though. If they're even close to what they were, they win this in five. Unfortunately, there's no reason to think they will be, which makes this a virtual tossup. I'm convinced game one is absolutely going to decide it.

And yeah, not having Diaw is a killer in this match-up more than any other. He's their second best post/Howard defender and the trickle down effect makes it even worse. Sure, you don't want to count on Bonner/Blair in the playoffs period, but if you had to against the likes of Delfino, Jones and Motiejunas, it wouldn't be nearly as big an issue.

Old School 44
04-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Yep, pressure Blake and or Nash. Have Leonard and Green harrass them to no end. Like was mentioned above, the Lakers have no one that can consistently create their own shot. And I would run and push the ball at every opportunity. Don't let Howard setup on D.

ThaBigFundamental21
04-18-2013, 07:11 PM
I fully endorse Hack a Howard. Did you see how close Howard was to all out snapping last week when we played the Lakers? If you could read lips, you could see him bitching at the line to himself as he missed FT's. He was visibly frustrated and lost his temper. That was one whole game. Imagine a series of him missing 60-70% of his FT's. The guy is a head case, and hacking him will be great for San Antonio.

TampaDude
04-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Spurs in 5. WWWLW.

rmt
04-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Because he's a Spur. Honestly, there's no logical reason why a guy with his relative youth and body type can't handle 35 mpg, yet a behemoth like M. Gasol can.
Foul trouble notwithstanding, I wouldn't even bother playing Blair. I'd go Duncan 38 mpg, Splitter 34 mpg, Bonner 24 mpg.

Don't want to see Bonner for 24 mpg in ANY playoff game unless he's there to foul DH. Would rather see small ball with Leonard (when Earl Clark is in) at PF.

Couldn't disagree more. Let him go nuts and get his, as well as Gasol, just don't let the others get off from three. Not a single one can create their own shot, so the only way they can generate enough offense to win is if the Spurs overreact to being physically overwhelmed in the post at times.

The reason why I say double-team DH is that he's a terrible passer out of the post and to preserve TD and TS from fouls. Gasol is a different story - he's a wonderful passer. If he's got the ball, stay home on the shooters and watch for the lob to DH. Let Gasol score as much as he wants - he can't score enough to beat the Spurs. If Nash comes back, the dynamics change. He, DH and Gasol can play the pick and roll, pick and pop, alley-oop.[/QUOTE]

EVAY
04-18-2013, 09:08 PM
No, Timmy gets credit for the win.

Ah, so you have been paying attention, eh?:lol

TD 21
04-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Don't want to see Bonner for 24 mpg in ANY playoff game unless he's there to foul DH. Would rather see small ball with Leonard (when Earl Clark is in) at PF.

The reason why I say double-team DH is that he's a terrible passer out of the post and to preserve TD and TS from fouls. Gasol is a different story - he's a wonderful passer. If he's got the ball, stay home on the shooters and watch for the lob to DH. Let Gasol score as much as he wants - he can't score enough to beat the Spurs. If Nash comes back, the dynamics change. He, DH and Gasol can play the pick and roll, pick and pop, alley-oop.

Actually, Jamison is more the backup PF and Clark the backup SF, but I get your point and I agree. They should definitely go small when they can. Beyond getting away with playing Bonner as little as possible, the other advantage is that hopefully it takes Leonard off of World Peace. I want the Lakers to be consumed with thinking they have a mismatch and force feeding him the ball in the post.

Bad passer or not, he'll make enough basic passes that will lead to wide open threes.

bklynspursfan
04-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Jack McCallum ‏@McCallum12 (https://twitter.com/McCallum12)5m (https://twitter.com/McCallum12/status/325255440076255232)
Think pros don't work? I watched Ginobili run endless sprints, in an almost deserted Spurs facility, to get his wind back for playoffs

xtremesteven33
04-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Jack McCallum ‏@McCallum12 (https://twitter.com/McCallum12)5m (https://twitter.com/McCallum12/status/325255440076255232)
Think pros don't work? I watched Ginobili run endless sprints, in an almost deserted Spurs facility, to get his wind back for playoffs

My hope is that Manu and Pop have been plotting this for awhile that come playoff time Manu could play balls to the wall for over a month straight.

Never seen it happen before but thats my hope right now.

bklynspursfan
04-19-2013, 09:47 AM
My hope is that Manu and Pop have been plotting this for awhile that come playoff time Manu could play balls to the wall for over a month straight.

That was sort of my thinking too. Almost the same with TP. Not playing at full speed this last month

rmt
04-19-2013, 10:24 AM

Manu needs to play balls out for over a month straight once they get to the WCF. TP needs to be his normal self for rounds 1 and 2 to get there. Hopefully by that time, Diaw's back.

jiggy_55
04-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Chris Sheridan has chosen the Spurs to win the NBA Finals over the Miami Heat in 7 games.

Seventyniner
04-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Chris Sheridan has chosen the Spurs to win the NBA Finals over the Miami Heat in 7 games.

Pretty damn bold if you ask me. There are probably more people picking the Spurs to lose in the first round than win the title. Here's hoping that the team is, and can stay, healthy.

z0sa
04-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Nothing more important Tony's health. If he can play well enough that we both dominate the Lakers and get him some rest, I think a deep playoff run is imminent. If he's hobbling and we're stuck going to 6-7 vs the slow ass Lakers, I see a 2nd round exit.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-19-2013, 04:20 PM
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/hZGNxq0HuhbXJycQ1xObXA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/SASmid41913.jpg

Tim Duncan tells Nando De Colo that he is dressed inappropriately for this funeral (Getty Images)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/ball-don-t-lie-2012-13-playoff-previews-190534376--nba.html
:lmao