PDA

View Full Version : Duncan gets 1 vote out of 30 for DPOY from espn's writers

AaronY
04-18-2013, 03:23 AM
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyPage=DPOY-2013

AaronY
04-18-2013, 03:23 AM
Lol @ anyone who thought he had a chance been telling people this weeks they don't listen..

JingleJangleJingle
04-18-2013, 03:43 AM
lol now it's about the team not the stats...holy shit if only they had that mind set a few years ago when the Spurs had the best defense with Tim Duncan anchoring it.

AaronY
04-18-2013, 03:54 AM
There was never any point at which he had a chance. He's only ever been in the top 3 once in his career...regardless people just assumed this year was different for some bizarre reason..

jesterbobman
04-18-2013, 04:07 AM
There are two groups with this, and there is a sensible way in which he's not DPOY: Minutes. Even if he's been a better defender than Marc, He's done it for far fewer minutes, and that matters.

I think Duncan as 1st Team Centre(All-NBA), Marc as DPOY and 1st team Defensive Centre is the best way to split them.

AaronY
04-18-2013, 05:03 AM
Tony Allen plays 26 mpg..he finished a close second in that poll

ThaBigFundamental21
04-18-2013, 05:06 AM
Complete fuckin bullshit. So you are telling me a guy can have much better defensive stats, and in less time, but still not get DPOY? Wtf gives? This is robbery. Duncan is getting fucked. Think of what this would do for him on the list of all time greats. I simply cannot believe this. This was Duncan's award and he earned it. I guess the team crumbling cost him, even though he brought it every night. Even though Chandler and Camby won the award on mediocre defensive teams. Chandler didn't do shit either. I cannot believe this.

polandprzem
04-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Complete fuckin bullshit. So you are telling me a guy can have much better defensive stats, and in less time, but still not get DPOY? Wtf gives? This is robbery. Duncan is getting fucked. Think of what this would do for him on the list of all time greats. I simply cannot believe this. This was Duncan's award and he earned it. I guess the team crumbling cost him, even though he brought it every night. Even though Chandler and Camby won the award on mediocre defensive teams. Chandler didn't do shit either. I cannot believe this.

Good rant

me and one on it :tu

AaronY
04-18-2013, 05:36 AM
I don't know why this such a fucking surprise tho. I mean I understand bring upset, but shocked? No way; the dude consistently finished behind the Theo Ratliffs, Andrei Kirilenkos, and Cambys of the world during his prime...I dunno why people all of a sudden thought it would change now.

Rapper
04-18-2013, 06:12 AM
Marc Gasol averages 14.1 points 7.8 rebounds 1.7 blocks per game .On the other hand , his mate Tony Allen just averages 8.9 points along with 1.5 steals to finish this season,both of them don't have big number to convince people to vote for them as DPOY .

Compared my man Timmy with them and in less playing minutes situation, Duncan ranks as the NBA's top big man in player efficiency rating at 23.8 with 17.8 points and almost 10 rebounds as well as 2.7 blocks per game.

The spurs end up with the 2nd seed to get into playoffs which is still better than Grizzlies 's 5th, can you please find out a reason why Marc Gasol and Tony Allen are the better option to win DPOY over Timmy?

TJastal
04-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Wow. I just lost the last nugget of respect for ESPN and their so-called "analysts". Duncan was far and away the best defensive player in the league this season.

jimbo
04-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Just a thought, it's probably not a good thing that Tim is playing less minutes than Gasol for the award. That means Gasol is out there on the floor more playing D and maybe having a bigger overall impact.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Marc Gasol averages 14.1 points 7.8 rebounds 1.7 blocks per game .On the other hand , his mate Tony Allen just averages 8.9 points along with 1.5 steals to finish this season,both of them don't have big number to convince people to vote for them as DPOY .

Compared my man Timmy with them and in less playing minutes situation, Duncan ranks as the NBA's top big man in player efficiency rating at 23.8 with 17.8 points and almost 10 rebounds as well as 2.7 blocks per game.

The spurs end up with the 2nd seed to get into playoffs which is still better than Grizzlies 's 5th, can you please find out a reason why Marc Gasol and Tony Allen are the better option to win DPOY over Timmy?

Because neither PPG, RPG, player efficiency or team position have anythig to do with DPOY.

Cane
04-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Fuck that's a pathetic turnout but tbh it's expected considering Duncan has no DPOY. If you listened to NBA podcasts like Bill Simmons ESPN podcast or the CBS Basketball podcast they all say Duncan was never really the no.1 pick for DPOY. Zach Lowe even mentioned the minutes argument and compared Gasol and Duncan to A- and A students...you would want the A- student (Gasol) because he played something like 700 more minutes than the A student (Duncan)

Yeesh

Better make it to 1st team All-NBA

Raven
04-18-2013, 07:10 AM
i'd love to hear the arguments for larry sanders and tyson chandler :lol

Raven
04-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Just a thought, it's probably not a good thing that Tim is playing less minutes than Gasol for the award. That means Gasol is out there on the floor more playing D and maybe having a bigger overall impact.

yeah, cause it makes sense to vote for tony allen then :lol, also it makes sense to vote for the number 2 big man on the team or to vote for a player playing with the best defensive pg and best defensive sg along with the best rebounder in the league :lol.. a big man that doesn't stand out neither on blocks or rebounds or team wins for that matter. Don't get me wrong i love marc as a player, but he has no business being ahead of timmy.

Drom John
04-18-2013, 08:34 AM
End of season defensive win shares.
P. George
M. Gasol
K. Durant
T. Duncan
R. Hibbert
M. Conley
D. Howard
Z. Randolph
D. West
L. James

Passes the smell test if not the homer test.

james evans
04-18-2013, 02:33 PM
yall still care what the nba does with their awards? the fact that kobe was on all defensive 1st team year after year says enough about the nba

04-18-2013, 02:47 PM
No one campaigned for Duncan. There was no hype. The Spurs stumbling into the playoffs didn't help either.

Drachen
04-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Even bruce bowen turned coat.

Big Empty
04-18-2013, 03:20 PM
LOL Gasol wasnt even in the top 3 in rebounding and blocked shots

Arcadian
04-18-2013, 03:41 PM
What the fucking fuck? Fuck those fuckers.

jimbo
04-18-2013, 06:13 PM
yeah, cause it makes sense to vote for tony allen then :lol, also it makes sense to vote for the number 2 big man on the team or to vote for a player playing with the best defensive pg and best defensive sg along with the best rebounder in the league :lol.. a big man that doesn't stand out neither on blocks or rebounds or team wins for that matter. Don't get me wrong i love marc as a player, but he has no business being ahead of timmy.

There isn't one standard way to handle DPOY voting. One could vote how I said, another probably thinks it's time for a guard to get DPOY. I don't know.

I mean I obviously want Tim to be DPOY, so I'm just trying to make some sense out of the voting. I do think basing defense on box score stats is overrated though.

DAF86
04-18-2013, 06:18 PM
With the way Pop manages this team the only individual award the Spurs can win is Coach of the Year.

ironman2886
04-18-2013, 06:25 PM
The DPOY has always been BS, just for the fact that Duncan never won it in his prime. Gasol is the favorite? Gotta be effin kidding me. He plays with Conley and Allen for Christ's sake. For a big man, he needs to completely own the paint( rebounding, blocking shots,etc.) He doesn't though.

SpursFanaticInVegas
04-18-2013, 08:56 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212534&p=6488786#post6488786

HarlemHeat37
04-18-2013, 09:03 PM
The argument against Duncan is minutes, which has been echoed by Simmons and Lowe..they both said they would have voted for him had he played more minutes..

Marc Gasol, though overrated, has played like 800 more minutes than Duncan, which is a massive differential, tbh..

The other reason for the lack of voting is the absent campaigning from the Spurs, along with the team's shitty play down the stretch, tbh..

Brunodf
04-18-2013, 09:16 PM
The argument against Duncan is minutes, which has been echoed by Simmons and Lowe..they both said they would have voted for him had he played more minutes..

Marc Gasol, though overrated, has played like 800 more minutes than Duncan, which is a massive differential, tbh..

The other reason for the lack of voting is the absent campaigning from the Spurs, along with the team's shitty play down the stretch, tbh..
:nope Duncan has BETTER stats in LESS minutes, there is no way to discredit that

HarlemHeat37
04-18-2013, 09:19 PM
He has better per game, average stats..

If Duncan is an A defender and Gasol is an A- or even a B+, you're going to give the award to the slightly inferior player that is able to play an additional 800 minutes for the team, tbh..

Brunodf
04-18-2013, 09:28 PM
If Duncan is an A defender and Gasol is an A- or even a B+, you're going to give the award to the slightly inferior player that is able to play an additional 800 minutes for the team, tbh..
:nopeGasol average stl/1,7 blks/7,8 rebs in 35 minutes/game. DRtg= 98
Timmy average 0,7 stl/2,7 blks/9,9 rebs in 30 minutes/game. DRtg= 95 .

If u use advanced stats, TD numbers are even better.
Gasol has T.Allen/T.Prince and Conley.
TD has sophmore Kawhi...

Kulo
04-18-2013, 09:46 PM
:lmao Larry Sanders, more absurd than all those Thunder fans wanting Ibaka to win it last season.

DesignatedT
04-18-2013, 09:51 PM
It's not that Duncan didnt' win. It's that he got 1 vote. That's fucking retarded and shows just how credible these awards are. NBA is a joke in this regard.

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Who gives a shit about ESPN.

TD 21
04-18-2013, 11:19 PM

I heard Lowe's argument (keep in mind, despite the usual cliche praise, he's never been a big Duncan fan, because he's obsessed with bigs who can "blow up" pick-and-rolls and he's beyond obsessed with Gasol), but I don't buy it. That's fine if a guy plays 50 games or 20 mpg, etc. But Duncan has played enough that that shouldn't really matter and since when did these awards stop being about excellence?

mute
04-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Duncan has had one of the most dominant seasons he's ever had defensively. He's the one constant on the defensive end for the Spurs. I would give it to him (homer pick) because of this season and the years he's deserved it in the past. That being said, I wouldn't be too upset if a guy like Marc Gasol got it since he's players more minutes/games than Duncan has.

ThaBigFundamental21
04-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Gasol-Put a lot of hours in on the job, do a fair amount of work.

Duncan- You weren't here on the job as much, but you did way more work in less hours.

Who do you take??? Probably the dude who is getting substantially more done in less time. Common sense really. You have an a solid Defensive player, or a guy who is REALLY good on Defense. Fuckin joke, I'm not cool with this at all. I honestly thought Tim was getting DPOY. This was finally his turn. The only way you can really knock him, is how bad the team played the past month, the D slipped big time and the Offense slipped. That's IMO the biggest factor. People are blaming it on minutes, but if the team was still near the top on Defense you would not be seeing any of this IMO.

ffadicted
04-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Who gives a shit about ESPN.

Isn't it voted on by media members? So everyone should care if they want Duncan to win.

Sad to see him still get no recognition after so many years of success. Really sad tbh

Sean Cagney
04-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Isn't it voted on by media members? So everyone should care if they want Duncan to win.

Sad to see him still get no recognition after so many years of success. Really sad tbh

It doesn't surprise me in the least though!

Arcadian
04-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Fuck minutes per game. That's bullshit. The award should go to the BEST defensive player of the year.

Raven
04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Gasol-Put a lot of hours in on the job, do a fair amount of work.

Duncan- You weren't here on the job as much, but you did way more work in less hours.

Who do you take??? Probably the dude who is getting substantially more done in less time. Common sense really. You have an a solid Defensive player, or a guy who is REALLY good on Defense. Fuckin joke, I'm not cool with this at all. I honestly thought Tim was getting DPOY. This was finally his turn. The only way you can really knock him, is how bad the team played the past month, the D slipped big time and the Offense slipped. That's IMO the biggest factor. People are blaming it on minutes, but if the team was still near the top on Defense you would not be seeing any of this IMO.

the minutes argument is really dumb, since tony allen is a close second with 22mpg or so..

Brunodf
04-21-2013, 12:13 AM
:lmaoDPOY M.Gasol with 2 rebounds in 40 minutes

Brunodf
04-21-2013, 12:18 AM
:lolOutrebounded by Bledsoe(6 rebs in 18 minutes).
:lolGreat team anchor can't rebound without Zbo, lost the rebounding battle 45-22

racm
04-21-2013, 12:30 AM
:lol doesn't even lead his team in defensive rebounding rate
:lol "blows pick and rolls"
:lol fat Gasol
:lol no rings
:lol afraid of a resurgent Duncan

Brunodf
04-21-2013, 12:33 AM
:lol doesn't even lead his team in defensive rebounding rate
:lol "blows pick and rolls"
:lol fat Gasol
:lol no rings
:lol afraid of a resurgent Duncan
He has worst overall stats/worst advanced stats/worst indidual stats/worst team stats
:depressed BUT BUT BUT HE PLAYS 5 MORE MINUTES!!!!!!!!

Cry Havoc
04-21-2013, 01:15 AM

Tony Allen's per minute average?

Brunodf
04-21-2013, 09:18 PM
DPOY Fat Gasol: 2rebs/0stls/0blks in 41 minutes. His team allowed 112 points(55% FG).
Lost the rebounding battle: 23-47

37 yr old TD: 10 rebs/3stls/0blks in 36 minutes. His team allowed 79 points(41% FG)
Lost the rebounding battle: 43-44

Phenomanul
04-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Marc Gasol winning the award (any award, for that matter) stems more from an agenda that wishes to legitimize the 2008 robbery that was the Pau Gasol trade... Marc was only an after thought in that trade.

superbigtime
04-22-2013, 02:11 PM
ESPN is fuckin garbage.

crc21209
04-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Gasol is going to win the award according to multiple sources. What a joke. The fact that TD has never won the DPOY award is a complete joke...

Legacy
04-22-2013, 02:56 PM
ESPN is fuckin garbage.

spurraider21
04-22-2013, 02:57 PM
To be completely fair, Marc Gasol IS a beast on defense

Cane
04-22-2013, 03:19 PM
May the basketball gods damn those voters

JingleJangleJingle
04-22-2013, 03:22 PM
hopefully Gasol keeps having shitting games like he did in game 1.

szkorhetz
04-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Marc Gasol has won the Defensive Player of the Year award. Duncan just got robbed.

Spurtacular
02-13-2016, 03:18 PM

Wow. I just lost the last nugget of respect for ESPN and their so-called "analysts". Duncan was far and away the best defensive player in the league this season.

I didn't remember TD being that dominant. But it sounds like it. I remember LBJ complaining that he was robbed. It turns out, that was his last chance at a DPOY; because his numbers have digressed since then; and it's not like he's Mr. Intangible to make up for a lack of numbers.

bic50
02-13-2016, 03:45 PM
:pctoss