PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Lakers To Keep Mike D'Antoni For Next Season

Clipper Nation
04-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Lakers To Keep Mike D'Antoni For Next Season
Apr 18, 2013 9:05 AM EDT

Mitch Kupchak confirmed on Wednesday that Mike D'Antoni will return next season as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers.

"Yeah, he's back. I think he's done a great job," Kupchak said to the Los Angeles Times. "There's been no discussions otherwise.

"He's made adjustments. He's been flexible. He's evaluated how he coaches as the season's progressed. He's listened to the players. He's very easy to work with and we think in particular since the meeting the day of the Memphis game, yeah."

D'Antoni has two more guaranteed years for a total of $8 million.

"Much has been made of the injuries, and the coaching change [in November] and no training camp, which is certainly a part of it," Kupchak said of their up-and-down season.

"It takes a while. You're in New York coaching and you see the Lakers once or twice a year, you don't know the personnel. And the injury situation when he got here, Steve Nash had the broken leg. There's just too much going on to really look at it any other way."

Via Mike Bresnahan/Los Angeles Times

midnightpulp
04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Condolences, Lakers fans.

baseline bum
04-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Is this an Onion article?

AaronY
04-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Is this an Onion article?

Rofl

Clipper Nation
04-18-2013, 10:09 AM
The only thing that would make this funnier is if the Clippers hire Phil.... LG's servers would crash for a solid week :lmao

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Are they still paying Mike Brown? No self respecting GM is going to have three head coaches on the payroll. And no serious rebuilding effort can really start until they get Kobe's big ass contract off the books. With that said if I'm Pau or Steve Nash's legs I'd start filling out my last will and testament.

ambchang
04-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Came out right after KFC said he wants to coach again. I guess Mitch really doesn't like his brother-in-law.

Thread
04-18-2013, 10:29 AM
6 of one, half dozen of the other.

I'd set my cap for Carlisle. Try to time it that so that when his contract is up you can make your move.

TDMVPDPOY
04-18-2013, 10:31 AM
8/2yrs thats fkn cheap what they got him for

while the knicks are still payin this clown right?

Thread
04-18-2013, 10:31 AM
The only thing that would make this funnier is if the Clippers hire Phil

+ you wouldn't be able to excape goat Del Negro any longer.

NRHector
04-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Of course he's staying that's Kobe's puppet, Kobe can do whatever he wants with D'Antoni

AaronY
04-18-2013, 10:35 AM
It's "scapegoat" dummy

Thread
04-18-2013, 10:39 AM
It's "scapegoat" dummy

I know. Somebody on AZ Central said "an excape goat" many years ago. I LMAO about that to this day.

Clipper Nation
04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
It's "scapegoat" dummy
And Vinny isn't even a scapegoat, he clearly sucks as a coach and has no idea how to adjust in-game or draw up plays :lol

Budkin
04-18-2013, 10:41 AM
WTF I thought Phil just said he wanted to come back? Stupid stupid stupid.

Budkin
04-18-2013, 10:41 AM
I know. Somebody on AZ Central said "an excape goat" many years ago. I LMAO about that to this day.

:lol that is awesome.

Thread
04-18-2013, 10:43 AM
And Vinny isn't even a scapegoat, he clearly sucks as a coach and has no idea how to adjust in-game or draw up plays :lol

My ass. He's a white man and "you'll" dog his white ass till you run him off. Why? Because everyone knows he'll go quietly, cuz if he don't they'll play the race card and he'll never coach again.

AaronY
04-18-2013, 10:44 AM
^lolwut

Thread
04-18-2013, 10:47 AM
"He's made adjustments. He's been flexible. He's evaluated how he coaches as the season's progressed. He's listened to the players. He's very easy to work with and we think in particular since the meeting the day of the Memphis game, yeah."

I bristle when I read shit like this. Condescending fuck. The nerve. The absolute gall. This guy never had to answer for Odom. Never. That event is off limits for Media. And they don't dare touch it.

But, he'll damn D'Antoni with faint praise and scold him twixt the lines.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-18-2013, 10:48 AM
If we're talking Escape GOAT then it's got to be Harry Houdini, tbh.

Richie
04-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Hallelujah

jeebus
04-18-2013, 11:09 AM
I am pleased with this news.

KaiRMD1
04-18-2013, 11:14 AM
The Lakers are paying for their basketball reasons. Expect Kobe to be injured next season for playing all the minutes in four straight 3OT games

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
The Lakers are paying for their basketball reasons. Expect Kobe to be injured next season for playing all the minutes in four straight 3OT games

Kobe will be just fine. There won't be any team in the league so bad that they'll need 3 overtimes to beat the Lakers.

Mugen
04-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Best news since the Achilles tbh.

benefactor
04-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Another season of "The Benny Hill Theme Song?" I'll take it.

Joyrider
04-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Didn't they say the say thing about Mike Brown shortly before he got fired?? I don't believe it. I think he'll be gone before 2014.

Clipper Nation
04-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Didn't they say the say thing about Mike Brown shortly before he got fired?? I don't believe it. I think he'll be gone before 2014.
Yeah, but this is different: they'd be paying three head coaches at the same time if they fired Pringles, tbh....

04-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Well he did sneak a talentless, underpaid team into the playoffs. I mean NOBODY expected the Lakers to make the playoffs before the season started so we have to acknowledge that. While other teams in the playoffs had powerhouse HOF point guards, PFs, and centers like Curry, Wilson Chandler, Ty Lawson, Asik, Koufas, and Mike Conley, Dantoni had to get by with just scraps. Not to mention, he had a terrible SG who can't even compare to the terror of Danny Green, Sefolosha, and Klay Thompson.

midnightpulp
04-18-2013, 01:01 PM

I bristle when I read shit like this. Condescending fuck. The nerve. The absolute gall. This guy never had to answer for Odom. Never. That event is off limits for Media. And they don't dare touch it.

But, he'll damn D'Antoni with faint praise and scold him twixt the lines.

White thing?

CavsSuperFan
04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Mitch Kupchak confirmed on Wednesday that Mike D'Antoni will return next season as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers.

We shall see about that because as of Thursday Morning Byron Scott became available...

Thread
04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
White thing?

No. But, there is resentment behind those words. Like he (Kupchak) is not really happy, but, will keep going because D'Antoni listened when Mitch chewed him out sometime earlier. That's why I hate w*rking. I won't do it.

NRHector
04-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Well he did sneak a talentless, underpaid team into the playoffs. I mean NOBODY expected the Lakers to make the playoffs before the season started so we have to acknowledge that. While other teams in the playoffs had powerhouse HOF point guards, PFs, and centers like Curry, Wilson Chandler, Ty Lawson, Asik, Koufas, and Mike Conley, Dantoni had to get by with just scraps. Not to mention, he had a terrible SG who can't even compare to the terror of Danny Green, Sefolosha, and Klay Thompson.

Uh the refs got the lakers in the playoffs not D'Antoni

Thread
04-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Uh the refs got the lakers in the playoffs not D'Antoni

Only pussies & as...............ah, the Hell with it. I'm so happy today I'll extend my pussy & asshole moratorium until Sunday.

Go on, Hector, CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!

NRHector
04-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Only pussies & as...............ah, the Hell with it. I'm so happy today I'll extend my pussy & asshole moratorium until Sunday.

I'm sorry sir I don't know who you are so please don't address me in first name basis, thanks.

Clipper Nation
04-18-2013, 02:06 PM

We shall see about that because as of Thursday Morning Byron Scott became available...
If Byr:loln Sc:loltt is the replacement, then please do fire Pringles :lol

manufan10
04-18-2013, 02:06 PM

:lol

Koolaid_Man
04-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Of course he's staying that's Kobe's puppet, Kobe can do whatever he wants with D'Antoni

he's not staying..it's nothing but a PR move / propaganda ploy to keep everyone positive and on the same page for the play-offs. :hat

Venti Quattro
04-18-2013, 02:31 PM
:lmao Coach of the Month

jeebus
04-18-2013, 02:42 PM

Brunodf
04-18-2013, 04:09 PM
:rollin

StrengthAndHonor
04-18-2013, 04:52 PM
he's not staying..it's nothing but a PR move / propaganda ploy to keep everyone positive and on the same page for the play-offs. :hat

I bet he stays tbh. He deserves a full off season and a new set of younger roster. D'Antoni can win big.

Koolaid_Man
04-18-2013, 05:06 PM
I bet he stays tbh. He deserves a full off season and a new set of younger roster. D'Antoni can win big.

fuck you

StrengthAndHonor
04-18-2013, 05:09 PM
btw, Raja Bell is finally eligible to join you guys too.

ElNono
04-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Kulo
04-18-2013, 06:18 PM
How the fuck is this guy getting 8m/2 years.. What?

djohn2oo8
04-18-2013, 06:21 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2136719/dantoni.gif

Latarian Milton
04-18-2013, 09:24 PM
_'antoni stays in LA does it mean DH will be gone?

StrengthAndHonor
04-18-2013, 09:32 PM
_'antoni stays in LA does it mean DH will be gone?

Why? D'Antoni wasn't the problem. Kobe ball is gone and its no surprise Dwight's touches and point average increased.

Baseline
04-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Lakers To Keep Mike D'Antoni For Next Season
Apr 18, 2013 9:05 AM EDT

"Yeah, he's back. I think he's done a great job," Kupchak said to the Los Angeles Times. "There's been no discussions otherwise.

D'Antoni has two more guaranteed years for a total of $8 million.

"Much has been made of the injuries, and the coaching change [in November] and no training camp, which is certainly a part of it," Kupchak said of their up-and-down season.

"It takes a while. You're in New York coaching and you see the Lakers once or twice a year, you don't know the personnel. And the injury situation when he got here, Steve Nash had the broken leg. There's just too much going on to really look at it any other way."

Via Mike Bresnahan/Los Angeles Times

Translation:

"He sucks, and he's an idiot. But hey, we signed him for three years guaranteed, so I guess we're not firing him just yet."

Thebesteva
04-19-2013, 12:54 AM
This is terrible news...but the fact the Lakers closed the season as the 7th seed, and Mike didn't have a training camp will give him another year.

Arcadian
04-19-2013, 01:24 AM

LkrFan
04-19-2013, 03:56 AM
Another season of "The Benny Hill Theme Song?" I'll take it.
Damn I used to love the Benny Hill show. :rollin

djohn2oo8
04-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Why? D'Antoni wasn't the problem. Kobe ball is gone and its no surprise Dwight's touches and point average increased.

StrengthAndHonor
04-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Well D'Antoni was part of the problem, but my quote was in response to the assumption DH will leave because of MDA. Like I said, its no surprise DH involvement in offense and his touches has skyrocketed after Kobe ball officially ended this season.

Mike D'Antoni can win. And he can win BIG! He needs a full season of training camp, Raja Bell to back up Kobe and perhaps 2-3 more younger egs that can shoot the lights out.