PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Timberwolves - April 18

timvp
04-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Tim Duncan A
He ended his renaissance season on a high note. Other than turnovers, he did quite well. Let's hope he can take this high level of play into the postseason for one last magical run.

Manu Ginobili A
Not bad at all. In his return, he looked relatively sharp. I didn't see him hold back too much and his movements were fluid. He played under control, focused on passing and really helped the offense gain some traction while he was out there. Stay healthy, please.

Tony Parker A
Meh. He looked slightly better than he looked against the Lakers -- but still far, far from 100%. He has no explosion speed-wise, can't jump and his lateral movements on D are slow. Was he holding back to avoid injury and enter the playoffs as healthy as possible? That's what we have to hope at this point.

Kawhi Leonard A
For whatever reasons, he wasn't too into this game. He floated on both ends of the court. He had a couple bursts of liveliness -- but that's about it. Get ready for the playoffs, young man, the Spurs need you to be great.

Danny Green A
He's in a three-point shooting slump entering the playoffs. But maybe this isn't bad news. Considering he runs hot and cold, let us take the glass half full view and say that he's just getting a cold streak out of the way so he can warm up in the postseason.

Matt Bonner A
His three-point stroke looks great right now. His baby hook in the lane continues to be money. Can we get one good playoff run? Please, just one.

DeJuan Blair A
After the knee injury scare against the Warriors, it was relieving to see him move well against the Timberwolves. He played 30 minutes and looked active throughout, so at least he appears healthy going into the playoffs.

Gary Neal A
It's safe to say he has regained his early-season mojo. His ability to score in bunches was impressive against Minnesota. Staying hot for the next couple months would be very much appreciated.

Cory Joseph A
Well, damn, is he the backup point guard entering the playoffs? That's what it looks like if the last game of the regular season is any indication.

Aron Baynes A
He continues to look promising based on the eye-test. He has legit size, legit athleticism and doesn't back down. He's still a project but he has some intriguing tools.

Nando De Colo A
I have no idea what his role is heading into the postseason. Not long ago Pop proclaimed the French freshman was the backup point guard. Is that still the case? I guess we'll find out Sunday.

Patrick MillsA
His play in the last two regular season games has to have been noticed by the coaches. If the Spurs need a burst of energy or can't hit a perimeter shot, they may have a remedy from down under.

Pop A
What do we take from this game? On one hand, it looked like the Timberwolves were legitimately the better team -- no matter who the Spurs had on the court. On the other hand, it was obviously a meaningless tune-up for the Spurs. Pop didn't find any rhythm or confidence for his squad; let's hope it doesn't matter.

superjames1992
04-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Handing out participation As now, eh? ;)

Phenomanul
04-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Despite the outcome, the +/- when the Spurs' big three were on the floor was all I needed to see to know that they can flip that proverbial switch...

Dex
04-18-2013, 11:17 AM
timvp going in last day of school mode.

Dex
04-18-2013, 11:22 AM
I'd also like to note that the Wolves got an insane amount of lucky bounces in this game. They got two alley-oops off of bobbled balls (one knocked in by Neal which also resulted in an and-one). The Spurs were getting their hands on passes and the ball would deflect right to an open Timberwolf. Offensive rebounds were falling right into their hands. Ricky effing Rubio became the reincarnation of Steve Kerr. Hell, even Ridnour was stopping and popping from three.

Don't think it really affected much on the outcome since this game was basically a glorified practice for the Spurs and they called off the dogs early in the 4th quarter, but was certainly interesting to behold. :lol

to21
04-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Pop get's an F for not running McGrady out there for some burn.

adonis827
04-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Damn Cojo- is that positive or negative?

boutons_deux
04-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Handing out participation As now, eh? ;)

It's like the self-esteem movement in K + grades chool, everybody gets a gold star, everybody's a winner! :)

rjv
04-18-2013, 11:48 AM
pollyanna review ?

polandprzem
04-18-2013, 12:06 PM
timvp can't grade anymore ...

:grim:

silverblackfan
04-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Way to mail it in for the last game. :lol Everyone should get an A for leaving the court healthy, so we understand.

c whata11
04-18-2013, 12:28 PM
i assumeed cojo played more because he wont be active for the playoffs, while nando will.

phxspurfan
04-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Two words for the postseason: More Mills.

Chinook
04-18-2013, 12:33 PM
To see Bonner hitting shots right now is great. Even if that only last through the next series, it will help off set the loss of Diaw. I think the last spot in the rotation is between McGrady, Joseph and De Colo. If Tracy earns a role, I could see Neal moving to the backup point, which may not be that bad considering that Ginobili, McGrady and eventually Diaw are all play-makers. Obviously, if Green continues to struggle, Neal may just take his place.

EricB
04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Two words for the postseason: More Mills.

Christ no...

spurs10
04-18-2013, 01:17 PM
It was funny scrolling down and catching on to your drift. If only the Spurs can play that uniform throughout the playoffs! My favorite part was the hopefulness of "one last magical run." I have long felt we haven't be seeing their best game at the close of the RS, partly because they might believe they peaked at the wrong time last year. Now we will find out if they do have one more gear. It will indeed be 'magical' if they can turn it on just one more time! My optimism is based on what I've seen consistently from Tim and how we were playing before a plethora of injuries knocked us off our game. Game one is going to be a statement game...no prisoners! :ihit Thanks for the grades throughout the season, and all the best to you, your gal, and your kids!!!!!

:flag::flag::flag: :toast

justinandimcool
04-18-2013, 01:29 PM
No secret Pop still probably regrets Phoenix in 2011. Probably told his main guys to go 30 miles an hour instead of a 100. Minny was always going to be a good team. Now they're all healthy, with no diva bitch Love to pull them down. Don't sweat this.

DPG21920
04-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Out of the country right now...what happened vs Wolves? Did the Spurs try to win and stil lose

hater
04-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Out of the country right now...what happened vs Wolves? Did the Spurs try to win and stil lose

strange game, but bottom line is TWolves were fucking us with our starters out there. (in the 3rd quarter) So yes, IMO spurs were trying to win, but Pop did not want to get embarrassed so waved the white flag late in the 3rd.

so pretty much on par with the last 10 or so games, spurs "starters" were getting buttfucked by lottery teams.

Manu's cameo appearance was probably more a distraction than anything. Hopefully he didn't break again and to be fair he looked ok out there.

Manu - I. Incomplete. Stupid cameo appearance tbh

Mills, DeColo, Cojo, Blair, Bonner,Baynes, Neal - F. Failure. they just fucking fail period. they made Wolves scrubs look like allstars.

TD, Parker - B. Looked ok, Parker finally made a few open jumpers, although he was struggling with obvious pain. (not a good sign)

Kawhi, Green - C-. they were just not interested in this game.

Boomersgold
04-18-2013, 08:00 PM
I'd only give Patty some limited minutes in the playoffs if he is paired up with Manu. Patty, by himself, is a shocking play maker.