PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson talks about being released

KaiRMD1
04-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Came across this article:

"While some face termination for not working hard enough, former Spurs forward Stephen Jackson said he was dismissed from the team for wanting to give more. “We had a disagreement,” Stephen told Sister 2 Sister about his most recent coach Gregg Popovich. “He wanted me to agree to players being better than me, and I didn’t agree. I’ve been in the NBA a long time, so it’s just something I didn’t agree with and something I have no control over. He’s the coach. He controls who plays, and he controls the team, which I do respect. At the same time, I know what I can do and what I been doing my whole career, and I’m far from ready to hang it up. So, I can’t let one person tell me where I’m at 35-years-old. To me, it just didn’t make no sense.”
So, instead of heading to the playoffs, where he’s helped teams like Golden State and Charlotte compete before, Stephen and his wife Renata are enjoying an early vacation.
However, the NBA veteran said if the Spurs’ management had either granted him more playing time or released him from his contract earlier, he may have been able to help another team advance to the playoffs.
“It was talked about before the all-star break, before the trade deadline…about me not wanting to be here and me going to other teams, but they wouldn’t do it then,” Stephen explained. “If they would have done it then, I would be on another team right now.”
While he’s not sure what team he’ll end up on, Stephen is confident that he’ll have a lot to offer as he has in the past.
“I went to Golden State and helped them get to the playoffs my first year there, and they haven’t been to the playoffs in 13 years. I played in Charlotte…and I got them to the playoffs. So, every team I go to, I make them better,” said Stephen, who considers it a blessing just to be in the NBA…and on the court.
“I don’t want to be a guy who’s just sitting on the bench stealing money,” he said."

http://s2smagazine.com/70298/stephen-jackson-talks-spurs-release/

Legacy
04-18-2013, 04:48 PM
:pctoss WTFever, we'll never know what REALLY happened anyway.

DesignatedT
04-18-2013, 04:50 PM
He had good intentions but there was a better way to handle it. Constant bitching and moaning isn't the way to do it. You do it by playing well on the court. If he was playing better than the other guys in front of him Pop would play him more minutes. Just like the OKC series.

Anyway, take with a grain of salt as this is only one side of the story.

NRHector
It was just a battle of egos and now the team is fucked :bang

DAF86
Should have sent him to help the Hawks get into the playoffs. :rolleyes

cheguevara
04-18-2013, 04:54 PM
they are both stubborn fucks

blkroadrunners
04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
It is hard to imagine SJax immediately being signed in the off-season by an NBA team. Being waived a few games before the playoffs b/c of a dispute with your coach is pretty low, imo. A playoff team could possibly give him a call-up possibly midway through next season due to his playoff success, but I can't see it beforehand.

Joyrider
04-18-2013, 05:02 PM
To stay and keep some things civil with Pop, do people on here agree that Jackson should have got more minutes knowing how terrible he has looked all year? With Diaw in, he wasn't gonna take many minutes at the power forward spot so his minutes would have solely been taken from Leonard. Agree or disagree?

johnpaulwall21
04-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Glad he's gone. His words weren't going to get him playing time. He needed to perform well in the minutes he was getting but failed to do so. So pop put him at the end of the bench. Easy.

DesignatedT
04-18-2013, 05:04 PM
He did nothing to show he deserved more time. Saying that, he would have had PLENTY of chances to prove himself in the playoffs.

Chinook
04-18-2013, 05:05 PM
The fact that Jack is running around telling the coach he's better than other players suggests that he doesn't get it. His role wasn't to sit on the bench and do nothing; it was to provide leadership and show young players how to be professional and how to always be ready. Instead, Jack sucked it up whenever he got time and seems to have been antagonizing other players on the team for getting playing time over him. Jack failed as a team member much more than he failed as a player.

I think Pop sincerely wanted to give Jack a lot of playing time. We all know he prefers to give veterans time over younger players. But Jack just couldn't get it done and he doesn't seem able to admit to himself that his bad play was his fault. It's a shame, a terrible shame. But it's over now, and everyone should move on. If Jack truly wants to play again, he's probably best served to not say anything about what happened. The Spurs were one of the last teams who'd endorse him.

said7
04-18-2013, 05:05 PM
I like Jack.

But when you shoot 30%, make dumb mistakes, and constantly bitch to the officials you probably shouldn't be on the court. He's gotta take some ownership.

If the spurs traded him they would really look like some heartless fucks in light of his loss at the time. I bet he wouldnt have taken that well, so he needs to shut up about being on another team.

EricB
04-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Prove your better by playing better. Not by bitching and crying.

adios.

benefactor
04-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Truth bomb.

xtremesteven33
04-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Damn I love me some Stephen Jackson but he should know better than to do something like this. My guess is that Stephen Jacksons mere presence in the locker room was causing division thus his Exodus. Some players probably were taking sides and Pop hates and eliminates any distractions.

Pop is a real professional and so is Jackson. I assume they came to a mutual agreement to part ways peacefully.

hater
04-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Jax epitaph: "the gangsta mentality did him in in the end"

BillMc
04-18-2013, 05:14 PM
The fact that Jack is running around telling the coach he's better than other players suggests that he doesn't get it. His role wasn't to sit on the bench and do nothing; it was to provide leadership and show young players how to be professional and how to always be ready. Instead, Jack sucked it up whenever he got time and seems to have been antagonizing other players on the team for getting playing time over him. Jack failed as a team member much more than he failed as a player.

I think Pop sincerely wanted to give Jack a lot of playing time. We all know he prefers to give veterans time over younger players. But Jack just couldn't get it done and he doesn't seem able to admit to himself that his bad play was his fault. It's a shame, a terrible shame. But it's over now, and everyone should move on. If Jack truly wants to play again, he's probably best served to not say anything about what happened. The Spurs were one of the last teams who'd endorse him.

Well said. It wasn't like Jack was getting DNP's, he had almost 20 minutes a game to show he was better. He didn't. Instead of going the leadership route, he complained.

Hope Jack catches on, but this path has an "Iverson" ending written all over it.

spurraider21
04-18-2013, 05:21 PM
While I do feel for Jax, he just wants to play/contribute, if he wanted playing time, he should have performed better than he did. Even the most optimistic Spurfan acknowledged that he was playing like garbage, but were hoping he'd "turn it on" in the playoffs like Robert Horry. If the wanted minutes, he could have started by not being complete crap on the offensive end.

boutons_deux
04-18-2013, 05:23 PM
"I know what I can do and what I been doing my whole career,"

SJax seriously, terminally overrates himself.

He's not consistent, either as all around player and esp not as scorer. That's been true "my whole career", and it's more true at his age.

Chomag
04-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Sounds more and more it was just Pop's and Jax's egoes clashing. Stupid that it happened...

letmk
04-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Well said. It wasn't like Jack was getting DNP's, he had almost 20 minutes a game to show he was better. He didn't. Instead of going the leadership route, he complained.

Hope Jack catches on, but this path has an "Iverson" ending written all over it.

Exactly. If anything, players like Mills or Baynes may have better excuses to complain. (Not that I agree with any complaints from any players.)

Spur|n|Austin
04-18-2013, 05:38 PM

Yep, and they clashed more than ever before. Too much pride between the two of them, with neither party willing to swallow any of it.

Joyrider
04-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Jack would have a point if the minutes he was averaging, he was actually performing well but shooting 37% the entire season is just inexcusable. If we are all expecting Leonard to play up to 40 minutes in the playoffs, having Jack possibly cost us a few games in the PO would have turn this site upside down.

elbamba
04-18-2013, 05:49 PM
How soon he forgets 2003 and the fact that players like Steve Smith and Danny Ferry cheered from the bench as younger more inexperienced players played for and won a championship. It would have been very easy for someone as accomplished as Smith to complain that he was better than Jackson based on his history. Instead, he acted like a leader. Jackson will always be one of my favorite players for his heart and effort, but he played like crap this year and it was difficult to watch. Lenard is clearly the better player and if Jackson can't see that then its obviously that he does not realize that the wheels are falling off.

hooperflash
04-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Same reason his first stint with us didn't work out (besides the money, obvi)http://i29.tinypic.com/2zipl5u.gif

weebo
04-18-2013, 06:11 PM
SJax career as an NBA player is ova. Maybe after the season is over TMAC can take Sjax over to China with him

Blue Duck
04-18-2013, 06:11 PM
I really don't get all the love and remorse and pity being wasted on this guy. This team has had plenty of others whowere similarly bad, yet extremely likable in the sense that they gave it their all, never complained or whined off acted jealous over success of their own teammates, and those guys had a ton of hate heaped upon them on this board. Apparently, everyone loves SJAX, inbut would you really want him as your neighbor? And don't tell me he adds toughness to the team either. Watch our guys play, Manu, Timmy and TP are tough, they just don't need to draw attention to the fact or tweet about how they're going to assault someone on the court should a foul occur during the game. His bravado is all smoke and mirrors. And stop blaming Pop, he's held this team together for a long time and he hates cutting guys. This dude is just not spurs material. Bye.

capek
04-18-2013, 06:24 PM
He had good intentions but there was a better way to handle it. Constant bitching and moaning isn't the way to do it. You do it by playing well on the court. If he was playing better than the other guys in front of him Pop would play him more minutes. Just like the OKC series.

Anyway, take with a grain of salt as this is only one side of the story.

More like an inflated (to the point of delusion) sense of his current level of play.

hater
04-18-2013, 06:27 PM
to be fair, jax was playing hard with the minutes he was given. It was unfortunate his shot was off and he was banged up.

Strategic
04-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Jax epitaph: "the gangsta mentality did him in in the end"

Anybody can be replaced.

Malice
04-18-2013, 06:37 PM
On court reputation will only get you so far. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league. And on paper, Jax had given us Jack shit. But, for the record I love the dude, and what he brought to the team as a leader....just a sad end to what I thought was a great final chapter in SA.

Blue Duck
04-18-2013, 06:46 PM
When Manu plays bad, he says, " I'm playing bad". Not that difficult, is it?

benefactor
04-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Anybody can be replaced.
Indeed. Tim Duncan better be glad he's never said anything like this. He ass would have gotten put on the bus and the Spurs would have just rolled with the next man up.

Hoops Czar
04-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Only one stubborn fuck. Pop, for refusing to trade him at the deadline. At the very least, they could have traded for a backup pg or SF. No player should have to admit they are better or worse than a teammate and a coach shouldn't put their player on the spot like that. Is Pop 64 going on 15? What a ridiculous argument.

Darius McCrary
04-18-2013, 07:20 PM
:pctoss My Stephen Jackson Horry Treatment theory will never be validated now.

HarlemHeat37
04-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Jackson's comments indicate that he's been unhappy with his role all year, wanting more minutes rather than just coasting, which was what all his fans claimed, tbh..

He's one of the worst players in the NBA and he's a locker room problem..Jackson is also going to initially refuse playing for the minimum, like Kenyon Martin did this season, but no team in the league will be foolish enough to sign him for more than that, if at all, tbh..we'll see if it humbles him, but even then, he is limited at this point..

Poolboy5623
04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Lots of great points in this thread...who was he thinking he was better than? Green or Leonard? My gut tells me that it became pretty clear kawhi was going to be playing mega mins and that leaves no time for jack. Or...pop told him green was better and thus would be getting backup Sf mins? Being Danny starts at the 2, I see this scenario unlikely. ...Jackson can't think he's better than kawhi???? Can he?

Also..either I'm super high or its super ironic for sj to say, "that just don't make no sense"...to me that means it would make sense. He should have said(if he was somewhat intelligent), "that just don't make sense?" Right?

Poolboy5623
04-18-2013, 07:42 PM
I honestly saw sj as a ticking time bomb all season....I would tend to watch him a lot when he was in, even away from the ball. He would, often times, frantically flail his arms in disgust if he didn't get the ball for an open 3...as he just stood there and watched. I was pretty surprised he lasted as long as he did. His play was tough to watch as he was always the slowest guy on the court.

Chinook
04-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Lots of great points in this thread...who was he thinking he was better than? Green or Leonard? My gut tells me that it became pretty clear kawhi was going to be playing mega mins and that leaves no time for jack. Or...pop told him green was better and thus would be getting backup Sf mins? Being Danny starts at the 2, I see this scenario unlikely. ...Jackson can't think he's better than kawhi???? Can he?

Also..either I'm super high or its super ironic for sj to say, "that just don't make no sense"...to me that means it would make sense. He should have said(if he was somewhat intelligent), "that just don't make sense?" Right?

So you call him out for negative concord, but subject-verb disagreement is all right with you? NC is a feature of quite a few English dialects. It's annoying, but not contradictory.

SenorSpur
04-18-2013, 07:47 PM
My issue with Jack is that he KNEW his job would be that as of a role player when he came here - and yet Jack allows his ego to, once again, enter the equation. While I have my issues with some things Pop does, the one thing he is not is a bullshit artist. There is every reason to believe that he clearly and directly explained to Jack what was expected from him and what his role would be before the trade. It's certainly not the first time Jack talked his way off of an NBA team. However given his age and declining production, the Spurs may very well have been his last stop. Perhaps Jack should have a conversation with Allen Iverson and ask him how successful he's been trying to get back into the NBA after his leaving behind his trail of selfish behavior.

jeebus
04-18-2013, 07:50 PM
lol fuck his issues. he thinks he's the same player from years ago; I'm glad his ass is gone.

thOOdee
04-18-2013, 07:50 PM
he should have taken all of bonner and blairs minutes

Poolboy5623
04-18-2013, 07:53 PM
So you call him out for negative concord, but subject-verb disagreement is all right with you? NC is a feature of quite a few English dialects. It's annoying, but not contradictory.

Not sure what a subject-verb disagreement is...but I would have said, "that doesn't make sense."

Poolboy5623
04-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Jackson will be playing over seas, next season(if he wants to play)....probably with Tmac.

Chinook
04-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Not sure what a subject-verb disagreement is...but I would have said, "that doesn't make sense."

Which is one of the two prestigious ways you could have used (along with, "That makes no sense"). But you said he should have said, "That don't make sense," which is also very non-prestigious. Negative concord is a pretty common thing in other languages (like Spanish), but subject-verb disagreement is not correct in any language that makes a singular/plural distinction. No one thinks, "He go to the store every Sunday" is proper English.

MaNu4Tres
04-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Jack dug his own grave, tbh. He's an idiot with an ego.

He chose to spend all his time last summer trying to market and push his far fetched rap career instead of working on his game before going into his last contract year (smart much?)-- which would have not only improved the Spurs, but would have also improved the likelihood of him getting quality PT and improved the chance at a last decent contract (2 yr 6-8 mil); Pretty stupid move. It's not Pop's fault that Jack shot 27% from 3. It wasn't Pop's fault that he sucked terribly.

It was all on Jack. Jack put Jack in this predicament. Pop was just doing the team a favor not playing a guy with a PER of 8 that was shooting 27% from 3 the 25 mpg I'm assuming Jack wanted. Hell, Jack is lucky Pop even played him the amount he did.

It's Jack's fault he chose trying to be the next Lil John. There's consequences for every decision. And his decisions last summer were pretty stupid (contract year) and we saw and will see the consequences (27% from 3; and he won't be getting a contract more than the minimum next year).

Wish you well Jack, but your selfishness, ego and ignorance don't belong on the Spurs.

timtonymanu
04-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Yep I saw this article yesterday.

If you look back at the RJ for SJax trade thread, there was a certain poster that didn't like the trade because of Jack's ego issues. Everyone scoffed at that poster. Turns out he was right.

Proxy
04-18-2013, 08:37 PM
I guess this would be a good opportunity to express how fucking annoying it was when Jax defended Shannon Brown after that flagrant on Manu... people want to say how great of a teammate he was, sticking up for his teammates, and then he does that shit. And defending Artest and taking a shot at Ibaka was fucking childish. It sucks, the personal issue he went through with losing his baby and nagging injuries, but fuck... He came here, bouncing around losing environments, and he can't accept the role given to him by the best coach in the league on a great team that has an established identity of operating as a unit. You think someone would be humbled by all that, but it turns out he's just as big of an idiot as people I defended him against said he was.

jjktkk
04-18-2013, 08:44 PM

If you look back at the RJ for SJax trade thread, there was a certain poster that didn't like the trade because of Jack's ego issues. Everyone scoffed at that poster. Turns out he was right.

Still glad that trade went down.

jag
04-18-2013, 08:45 PM
“We had a disagreement,” Stephen told Sister 2 Sister

No one hits the streets and gets to the bottom of today's top news stories quite like Sister 2 Sister magazine.

EricB
04-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Still was a good trade.

timtonymanu
04-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Still was a good trade.

Oh yeah for sure. I'm not angry about the trade. Just upset Jack handled it this way.

purist
04-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Damn I love me some Stephen Jackson but he should know better than to do something like this. My guess is that Stephen Jacksons mere presence in the locker room was causing division thus his Exodus. Some players probably were taking sides and Pop hates and eliminates any distractions.

Pop is a real professional and so is Jackson. I assume they came to a mutual agreement to part ways peacefully.

What part of Jackson is professional? Professionals don't go into stands to fight fans. And they certainly don't burn all the bridges jack has. Professionals shut their mouths and get to work just like Tim Duncan. He is professional - the epitome.

jag
04-18-2013, 08:49 PM

I don't think anyone cares.

BackHome
04-18-2013, 09:10 PM
I think that article "Most overpaid players" really got to him and PRIDE was his downfall. I think he really wanted to show people that he could play and he was worth the amount of money he was making which we all know wasn't true.

Still Pop and RC should have seen this coming if he was barking about being traded at all star break and we didn't do it that and the fact we never got a backup PG pisses me off.

Budkin
04-18-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm still bummed. Really liked Jack.

spursncowboys
04-18-2013, 09:31 PM
How soon he forgets 2003 and the fact that players like Steve Smith and Danny Ferry cheered from the bench as younger more inexperienced players played for and won a championship. It would have been very easy for someone as accomplished as Smith to complain that he was better than Jackson based on his history. Instead, he acted like a leader. Jackson will always be one of my favorite players for his heart and effort, but he played like crap this year and it was difficult to watch. Lenard is clearly the better player and if Jackson can't see that then its obviously that he does not realize that the wheels are falling off.
Agreed. However the spurs should have gotten rid of him when there was an opportunity for him to go to a different team.

shyne
04-18-2013, 09:34 PM
All I know is if Tony or Manu drive the lane and get intentionally smashed, someone better step the fuck up and get their backs. We all know jack would have.

Sec24Row7
04-18-2013, 09:37 PM
What a cliche...

Floyd Pacquiao
04-18-2013, 09:39 PM
delusional...you know i woulda thought jack would grow out of that shit and get wiser as he's grown older.

Fabbs
04-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Was it over Bonbon? :lol

Poolboy5623
04-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Which is one of the two prestigious ways you could have used (along with, "That makes no sense"). But you said he should have said, "That don't make sense," which is also very non-prestigious. Negative concord is a pretty common thing in other languages (like Spanish), but subject-verb disagreement is not correct in any language that makes a singular/plural distinction. No one thinks, "He go to the store every Sunday" is proper English.

I hear ya...and that's what I thought you meant. Problem is, I was in deep on that one. I did say that Jackson should have said, "that don't make sense"...however, I was into the frame of mind that Jackson would be saying it, with his type of language....not me, or anyone else. I already knew he wasn't capable of using the correct language, so I figured he could just drop the "no" in his original statement of "that don't make no sense"...he's got two negatives in 5 words. That would've at least made it easier to read, w/o having to worry about the rest of it being a mess. I know, I'm all over, but it makes sense.

ALVAREZ6
04-18-2013, 09:51 PM
He'll have fun contributing to the worst team in the league in 2013-2014, the Bobcats. It'll be a nice return to Charlotte.

Poolboy5623
04-18-2013, 09:59 PM
He'll have fun contributing to the worst team in the league in 2013-2014, the Bobcats. It'll be a nice return to Charlotte.
...and according to jack, everything he touches turns to gold..so they'll get back to the playoffs?

Spurs7794
04-18-2013, 10:00 PM
What the hell was Jackson complaining about? Minutes and his role? HE PLAYED 20 MPG THIS SEASON. WTF more did he expect? He played 2/3 the amount of minutes as Duncan...a top 5 player in the league. Jax was a bottom 5 offensive player this year. Was he really that delusional???

Leetonidas
04-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Jackson is not better than Leonard, it's arguable if he ever was a better overall player than Leonard at any point in his career. Dude is a fucking POS for sabotaging the team and not accepting his role. He was fucking garbage every time he played this season, is he fucking delusional or something? This isn't 2007 anymore you dumbfuck, no one gives a shit what you and Baron Davis did to Dallas anymore, it's ancient history. 6 years later, get with the fucking times.

Leetonidas
04-18-2013, 10:15 PM
btw he's seriously retarded if he thinks anyone is going to take a chance on him after Popovich cut his ass a week before the playoffs with an ailing roster. That says a lot

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 10:41 PM
I still remember him last year and how happy he was to so called be home and saying he wanted to retire here, then I read up there he wanted to be on other teams? He flat out said he at around the all star break wanted to be released, from the place he just called home when things were better and said he wanted to retire a Spur. I remember him saying he missed it in SA all the time and to an extent wished he never left! So much for that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Sad. Who cares what he was shooting in the regular season? Dude was fucking nails in the playoffs. If they would have given him another ten shots in game 6 against OKC last year, he would have gotten us to a game 7. No one seemed to mind Horry sucking in the regular season and showing up for the playoffs. It shouldn't have mattered for Buckets either.

Spursfanfromafar
04-18-2013, 10:56 PM
While I don't have a problem with the Jackson release, it was the timing that was the issue. They could have gotten him to go much earlier before the ASB or before the trade deadline and could have integrated a SF backup better. Who knows, if Gelabale could have played for the Spurs instead of the T'Wolves first, or some such. What the Spurs got hit was "opportunity" cost by letting Jackson go so late in the season.

Chinook
04-18-2013, 11:00 PM
I hear ya...and that's what I thought you meant. Problem is, I was in deep on that one. I did say that Jackson should have said, "that don't make sense"...however, I was into the frame of mind that Jackson would be saying it, with his type of language....not me, or anyone else. I already knew he wasn't capable of using the correct language, so I figured he could just drop the "no" in his original statement of "that don't make no sense"...he's got two negatives in 5 words. That would've at least made it easier to read, w/o having to worry about the rest of it being a mess. I know, I'm all over, but it makes sense.

No, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Jackson would have used negative concord, because that is a much stronger feature of his dialect than subject-verb disagreement is. Framing uses of language as correct or incorrect is misleading, because it's all relative. Jack didn't say that because he's too dumb to know how to say it the way you would; he said it because that just how it's said in his dialect. Honestly, the implication that Jack's "incapable of using the correct language" just because you aren't versed in his dialect is sort of insulting. It's like saying that Southerners are ignorant for using the word "leapt" instead of "leaped", even though the former is also the standard in the UK. What's taught as proper grammar in English class is completely different than what is seen as proper grammar in the real world.

justinandimcool
04-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Pop is a dumbass, Jack a bigger dumbass. Dude doesn't care about championships or teammates, just playing time. I respect that, but he's not a Spur. No way. Has nothing to with classyball, just know your role and prove your worth. Anything above 25mpg for Jack would've been a disaster.

FkLA
04-18-2013, 11:03 PM
tbf Jack was 26-43 (60%) from deep last years playoffs despite shooting 30% in the regular season, and obviously the nigga has balls of steel as well so I think there definitely is a possibility the Spurs end up missing him offensively tbh. His defense will likely be missed as well. With that said if he was constantly crying about minutes or an extension and was being as delusional as he sounds in the interview than fuck him tbh.

Sean Cagney
04-18-2013, 11:10 PM
tbf Jack was 26-43 (60%) from deep last years playoffs despite shooting 30% in the regular season, and obviously the nigga has balls of steel as well so I think there definitely is a possibility the Spurs end up missing him offensively tbh. His defense will likely be missed as well. With that said if he was constantly crying about minutes or an extension and was being as delusional as he sounds in the interview than fuck him tbh.See some say shit about Bonners % all year or Greens 43% this year, but does it go up that much in the playoffs? HELL NO it drops alot! Jax shot 60% in the playoffs, thats a player who has that IT factor when it really counts and not one of those bums who does good all year but dissapears when it counts. I had no clue he shot that good, thats excellent! He had that IT factor, most of our guys sides Manu, Tim and at times TONY have that IT!

Strategic
04-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Indeed. Tim Duncan better be glad he's never said anything like this. He ass would have gotten put on the bus and the Spurs would have just rolled with the next man up.If he acts like a hoodlum, doesn't do his job for most of a year and then doesn't really want to contribute in the role that the team needs him to(all just random examples), then maybe so. I don't really see Tim getting himself in that position. Do you? I think Duncan has made it clear the manner in which he will exit, but no matter, he will be replaced by another(lesser) player.

KaiRMD1
04-18-2013, 11:46 PM
All in all, Jack couldn't accept the fact that his role had diminished on a championship caliber (at one point) team. He brought up the Bobcats & the Warriors how he helped them to the playoffs but he was one of the best players on those teams. As much as I love Jack, his attitude and Pop's stubbornness fucked up this partnership. Then again, if the McGrady thing works out, it was a blessing in disguise. It all depends now on how the McGrady thing works out because it seems the Spurs were interested in McGrady for a while. Just sayin....

polandprzem
04-19-2013, 12:49 AM
Show him Tmac show him :)

DrSteffo
04-19-2013, 01:17 AM
Íncredibly stupid.

Poolboy5623
04-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Jax may have played 20mins/game early in the season but those minutes were dwindling as the season went on...and there was a reason for that. There's still a few that thought he would "flip the switch" in the playoffs, but he's never looked as sluggish as he does now. It was painful watching him try to keep up. With his slow ass release, he also needs space. I could see him trying to go all out hero ball in the postseason, trying to replicate his game 6..I'll take the chance with kawhi.

dylankerouac
04-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Wow, dude needs to work harder.

This summer Jack was going to have to think about his career as an NBA player vs. that of a rapper. Dude doesn't work on his game during the summer but he'll drop some beats. If this season has shown anything it's that Jack could use the practice during the summer - even if he does turn it up in the playoffs, how much better could he do (Spurs want a ring, not a Grammy) Also, from what I recall everyone else takes it on themselves to stay on top/improve for the team during that time. The team doesn't need his lack of a work ethic infecting its youngsters and veterans. Next thing you know all the players will start making ridiculous statements.

elemento
04-19-2013, 05:02 AM
While a lot of SA fans kept saying that he was coasting, I think it's pretty fair to say now that he sucked all year. He looked absolutely terrible this season.

He didn't do anything to deserve more minutes. He was pretty much the worst SA player of Pop's rotation and still believed he deserved more minutes. I am glad he is gone tbh. Pop is absolutely right in this case.

And he is still delusional about his future. He truly believes a lot of teams will pursue him in the off-season, but he will have a hard time to find a team, even for the min. There's no worse mixture than a washed up vet who happens to be a head-case.

weebo
04-19-2013, 06:56 AM
I wonder if TD still thinks Cap'n Jackass is an ultimate teammate?

exstatic
04-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Sad. Who cares what he was shooting in the regular season? Dude was fucking nails in the playoffs. If they would have given him another ten shots in game 6 against OKC last year, he would have gotten us to a game 7. No one seemed to mind Horry sucking in the regular season and showing up for the playoffs. It shouldn't have mattered for Buckets either.

Horry never thought he was better than Duncan, and he never bitched about PT. He knew his role.

Trill Clinton
04-19-2013, 08:58 AM
i'm a huge stak5 fan but it was obvious all season long that he took a few steps back from last year. i remember watching a vid in the offseason where he talks about how he doesn't workout in the offseason and never has. i think it was the vid where tj ford was working with him on shooting drills and stak had his homeboy collecting rebounds smh. that lack of work ethic and him being 35 finally caught up with him. dude was stiff with his movements and even slower than usual. i think he has more passion for rapping than he does playing basketball at this juncture.

superbigtime
04-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Pop fucked up. To insist a mofo like Jack admit that someone else is better than him or to get your bags, it's obvious what Jack would choose.

ffadicted
04-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Player who could not accept a lesser role he deserved.
I have no remorse. He left us no choice tbh

100%duncan
04-19-2013, 10:01 AM

That turned out to be great tbh. We almost went to the Finals last year, we wouldn't have been as close to that with faggot RJ imho.

Chinook
04-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Why are people assuming that the version Jack told is 100-percent correct? It seems likely to me that Pop didn't actually ask Jack if he thought he was better than Green or Ginobili. I imagine that Jack just took it that way. Jack seems to have a distorted view of his basketball reality, and I could see him taking Pop telling him to accept his role and be a team player as an attack on his self-worth.

Jack may have thought that to accept a backup role would be to admit that the starter was a better player. If he said that, I can imagine Pop bringing up Ginobili and Green as examples of how to play roles without worrying about who's better. Pop may have been trying to tell him that comparing himself to other players isn't the way to go for a team. So, "You don't know your role," wasn't about skill; it was about attitude.

Pop certainly wanted Jack to play well enough to where he wouldn't have to rely on Green and Leonard as much as he's going to have to. All Pop needed to give Jack a lot of rope was a better attitude. If Jack flippantly tossed away that lifeline, then Pop had to get rid of him. Even if Jack "came up big" in the playoffs, it wouldn't be worth disrupting Green and/or Leonard's confidence or mess up bench chemistry (which really had seemed off). Jack simply wasn't worth the trouble, six threes against OKC notwithstanding.

timtonymanu
04-19-2013, 10:19 AM
That turned out to be great tbh. We almost went to the Finals last year, we wouldn't have been as close to that with faggot RJ imho.

:lol People are interpreting my comments wrong. I never said the RJ-Jax trade was a failed trade. In fact, I was one of the biggest Jack defenders all year as evident with my arguments with every Jack hater.

I was just pointing out a certain poster in the trade thread that said Jack was going to have ego issues and everyone including me scoffed at him.

100%duncan
04-19-2013, 12:46 PM
:lol People are interpreting my comments wrong. I never said the RJ-Jax trade was a failed trade. In fact, I was one of the biggest Jack defenders all year as evident with my arguments with every Jack hater.

I was just pointing out a certain poster in the trade thread that said Jack was going to have ego issues and everyone including me scoffed at him.
Just replyin tbh. No hate no disagreement :toast

Fabbs
04-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Jack on drugs?

Really silly of him timing wise to go off 3 games before the playoffs.
Unless 'Zit was telling Jax he had to be behind Bonner.

timtonymanu
04-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Just replyin tbh. No hate no disagreement :toast

:lol no hate here either. Just wanted to make it clear because a lot of people in this thread took my comments the wrong way.

100%duncan
04-19-2013, 01:16 PM
:lol no hate here either. Just wanted to make it clear because a lot of people in this thread took my comments the wrong way.

Cheers tbh ma nigga. :toast fuck LA.

snickles
04-19-2013, 02:52 PM
am i the only one who caught this?

“It was talked about before the all-star break, before the trade deadline…about me not wanting to be here and me going to other teams, but they wouldn’t do it then,” Stephen explained. “If they would have done it then, I would be on another team right now.”

if he didnt want to be part of the team, fuck him. SJAX has always been one of my fave players of all time, but, i say again, if he didn't want to be here, fuck him.

exstatic
04-19-2013, 08:47 PM
While I don't have a problem with the Jackson release, it was the timing that was the issue. They could have gotten him to go much earlier before the ASB or before the trade deadline and could have integrated a SF backup better. Who knows, if Gelabale could have played for the Spurs instead of the T'Wolves first, or some such. What the Spurs got hit was "opportunity" cost by letting Jackson go so late in the season.

I think Gelabale signed much earlier than that, but they could have actually brought TMac in when he was finished in China.

TheGoldStandard
04-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Jax just wanted more minutes so he could justify another big contract somewhere and he didn't get them because they were not warranted, he didn't deserve them and it showed. I think his game suffered a lot too because he really didn't care if he was jacking up shots and missing or not. There were flashes, moments where he'd go strong but you could tell he was not feeling it. I'm surprised the Spurs didn't trade him or do something sooner with T-Mac or someone else but I think they were really under the impression he'd get his act together especially with the playoffs around the corner.

I think with all the crap the spurs were going through Jax drew that last straw with Pop with complaining about minutes and was then waived. Had Parker been healthy, had they been producing more wins at the end of the season then I think they would have just swept it under the rug until the offseason.

KaiRMD1
04-19-2013, 10:40 PM
I just realized it should say "waived" not "released." F'n wrestling.....

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-19-2013, 11:00 PM
He was playing very aggressive and hard, but don't argue with Pop. Pop is stubborn and doesn't let down.

exstatic
04-20-2013, 08:05 AM
He was playing very aggressive and hard, but don't argue with Pop. Pop is stubborn and doesn't let down.

He was shooting 37% and Pop STILL gave him 20 minutes a game when he probably didn't deserve that. It wasn't enough for Jack and he balked.

John B
04-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Well said. And Spurs should've just traded his expiring contract then if they were already having disagreements, and got a much needed veteran backup PG and then signed TMac then. He could've been more acclimated to the Spurs system. I really would like TMac to take Kawhi on his wings and show him some postup moves, reading D's and facilitating more. I hope he re-sign for the next two years. Kawhi could really learn a lot from him. Not to mention TMac's game is still pretty good, watching his highlights in the Chinese league, granted it's against weaker defense, but the shooting is still there, his ballhandling, moves are still there, and he still has hops. TMac > SJAX positive influence to the younger players. Defense and toughness, I have to give it to Jack. If we had them both, everybody healthy, I'd be putting them to win it all.

Capt Bringdown
04-20-2013, 08:49 AM
SJAX's attitude was a plus when he the skills to back it up. He can't back up his jive anymore, he's done. Glad he's gone.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Horry never thought he was better than Duncan, and he never bitched about PT. He knew his role.

Does anyone know who Jax actually directed his criticism towards? If it was Kawhi, then he was out of line. If it was Danny Green, who appears to have a Bonner-esque fetal position type disposition for the postseason, can't blame him.

DesignatedT
04-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Jack and Green played roughly the same amount of minutes in last years post-season. If Jack was playing well he would have seen the court in the playoffs, just like last season. Him bitching is a total bonehead move by a bonehead guy. He always has to stir the pot up everywhere he goes.

He can't even behave on a team with Tim, Tony and Manu. There is no hope for him and he let down his team and his fans.

Aztecfan03
04-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know who Jax actually directed his criticism towards? If it was Kawhi, then he was out of line. If it was Danny Green, who appears to have a Bonner-esque fetal position type disposition for the postseason, can't blame him.

So he has two very good playoff series and then one not good one and he is a choker? Jack sucks and wasn't better than anyone.

Whisky Dog
04-23-2013, 06:51 PM

Happy 30k bro

Ice009
04-23-2013, 07:27 PM

I was ready to rip into Sjax after he was waived, but I am waiting to hear the full story (if it even comes out). I'd like to know more of the story.

manufan10
04-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Saw this in the mySanAntonio comment section, so take it for what it's worth. However, I still found it interesting.

Or this could all be a cover up. A coworker of mine said Jackson was spotted at nightclub Glo smoking weed and getting into a bar fight. Said several people got cell phone pics. Jack denied it to Spurs who ran urinalysis on him which came out positive. Not a good way to honor a lost child. You see how smaller sins lead to bigger sins...now he's gotta keep up this perpetual lie for being in a place he should've never been in the first place.

I can confirm the bar fight he got into was defending P-Mills from some idiots who were harassing him for some reason ... but I had not heard about the pot and the test for it. But then, didn't ask either.

Ice009
04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Saw this in the mySanAntonio comment section, so take it for what it's worth. However, I still found it interesting.

Wow. Anyone else heard anything about that story?

Is smoking weed enough to get you off an NBA team? I thought a lot of players smoked it. Do they actually test for it in the NBA?

Also, if there was a bar fight, what part in it did Mills have? Wouldn't he have been disciplined for it too?

manufan10
04-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Wow. Anyone else heard anything about that story?

Is smoking weed enough to get you off an NBA team? I thought a lot of players smoked it. Do they actually test for it in the NBA?

Also, if there was a bar fight, what part in it did Mills have? Wouldn't he have been disciplined for it too?

The way I understood it is that it went hand in hand with the other problems with Jack. It just compounded the problem.

Again, I have no idea if there is truth in this at all, but it just adds to the story.

exstatic
04-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Green AND Manu. He told Pop he was better than both.

Reck
04-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Meh he's thinking too much of himself.

Good luck to you Jackson but lol thinking you're a difference maker at this point in your career.