PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on: seeding, LAL first round matchup,& our forgettable end to the season

mute
04-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Here are my thoughts...

It doesn't really get anymore simpler than this. #1 or #2, it does not matter. Sure, I would love to get the #1 and have home court for every series until the NBA finals, but whatever. If the Spurs want to win the title, they will need to win games on the road (multiple games on the road). Our previous championship teams had the ability to go on the road and win games (even series clinchers).

I don't think these past couple of games have been really indicative how we are doing. They've all been "trap games" so to speak. The playoffs seeding are pretty much wrapped up, and we've had injuries during the last week of the season in years past, so we've been extra paranoid and resting our guys more and more. We were stuck in no-man's land really. What's the point of getting it up and expending so much energy for a regular season game this close to the playoffs? There's no upside really besides possibly getting some rhythm, but for a veteran team, I'm not too worried.

I think people need to give the Spurs a lot more credit. I've seen too many posters getting worked up over playing the Lakers. I'm not saying that I am completely ruling the Lakers beating us out, but they've been a mess all season. Now, they are without Kobe. Dwight and Gasol are gonna pick up the slack for sure, but I don't see the Spurs letting guys like Steve Blake and their other role players beating us. I actually thought the Clippers last year were pretty solid and would have taken OKC the distance, but we all saw how the Spurs dismantled them and beat them down methodically. I don't think we should worry too much about the Lakers. I'm thinking Spurs in 5.

The bottom line is that we're gonna have win on the road no matter what. We aren't winning a title anyways if we can't win road games (who knows if we can even defend our home floor?). If the Spurs can't win on the road and beat a depleted and dysfunctional team in the Lakers, they should just save us the heartbreak and take a first round exit. I couldn't even eat or turn on the TV after last season's loss to OKC. If we don't have the mental toughness and make plays down the stretch, so be it... thank you for another great season. We simply weren't good enough this year and would have gotten mauled by OKC or Miami anyways. We'll see where this team stands after the LAL series unfolds.

Johnny RIngo
04-19-2013, 05:02 AM
I couldn't even eat or turn on the TV after last season's loss to OKC.

I'd skip the 2013 playoff if I was you. Will not be a happy ending for the Spurs.

Dingle Barry
04-19-2013, 06:39 PM
I don't think you can gloss over this garbage ending to the season with a trap game excuse. We have been shit since February.

mute
04-19-2013, 07:44 PM
I'd skip the 2013 playoff if I was you. Will not be a happy ending for the Spurs.

Well, last year I was sold on us being a championship caliber team. I'm not completely convinced this year, which is why I'm just going to take it a series at a time with the mind set of: hey, if we can't even beat LA without Kobe and win on the road.... there's no point in even traveling to OKC or Miami.

I don't think you can gloss over this garbage ending to the season with a trap game excuse. We have been shit since February.

I think injuries had to do with that too. Four of our main guys (you know who I'm talking about) missed significant time. I think with the exception of Diaw, we are relatively healthy now.

Sean Cagney
04-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Well, last year I was sold on us being a championship caliber team. I'm not completely convinced this year, which is why I'm just going to take it a series at a time with the mind set of: hey, if we can't even beat LA without Kobe and win on the road.... there's no point in even traveling to OKC or Miami.

I think injuries had to do with that too. Four of our main guys (you know who I'm talking about) missed significant time. I think with the exception of Diaw, we are relatively healthy now.

I have yet to see them out there healthy yet so I will just hold judgement. I think they still might be dinged up, which is why I am not getting too excited before I see them out there Sunday and see how they are playing.

Man In Black
04-20-2013, 12:42 PM
What cracks me up is the rest of the Sports world saying that the LAL wanted the Spurs. That even though there was no Kobe, that this team is better and still has 3 hall of famers, and a former DPOY and that they could give all the Spurs they could handle BUT they never say that the LAL is going to win, EXCEPT for Magic Johnson.
No, Earvin.

Ginobili says he can go 25 minutes per for now, Parker says he is ready to play, no excuses and Duncan has been the best big in the series on both sides of the court. He will need help from Splitter too(dunk it Tiago) and Kawhi needs to be more aggressive. I say for this series, Spurs in 5.5 The .5 is due to the ref shenanigans that seem to happen for the LAL.

spurs10
04-20-2013, 01:12 PM
After last year's horrible flame-out, I actually feel more calm going into the playoffs. We looked invincible which made it much more hard to take. I like the idea of building from here and see if we can get stronger game by game. Anyone thinking 'ship or bust' is probably setting themselves up for a let down. I will be disappointed if we don't go farther than last year, but don't have as high expectations. Like mute, I'll take it game by game and try to enjoy it. Don't have long to enjoy Tim, Manu, Tony, and Pop. We've all been really lucky to have a class organization like the Spurs in our worlds. If you haven't read the excellent article about Pop in the other thread, don't hesitate. Class acts all around!

Budkin
04-20-2013, 04:38 PM
What cracks me up is the rest of the Sports world saying that the LAL wanted the Spurs. That even though there was no Kobe, that this team is better and still has 3 hall of famers, and a former DPOY and that they could give all the Spurs they could handle BUT they never say that the LAL is going to win, EXCEPT for Magic Johnson.
No, Earvin.

Ginobili says he can go 25 minutes per for now, Parker says he is ready to play, no excuses and Duncan has been the best big in the series on both sides of the court. He will need help from Splitter too(dunk it Tiago) and Kawhi needs to be more aggressive. I say for this series, Spurs in 5.5 The .5 is due to the ref shenanigans that seem to happen for the LAL.

First of all, Magic only said they would win if they had Kobe. Second of all, out of every single analyst between ESPN and SI, only ONE has picked the Lakers to win. ONE. So I don't know what you mean about the media saying the Lakers are better.

Man In Black
04-20-2013, 09:05 PM
First of all, Magic only said they would win if they had Kobe. Second of all, out of every single analyst between ESPN and SI, only ONE has picked the Lakers to win. ONE. So I don't know what you mean about the media saying the Lakers are better.
Point of clarification...I live in So Cal. Here, they say the Spurs are ripe since Ginobili, Parker, & Diaw are injured. Plus Spurs are 3-7 last 10, LAL won 8 of 9....blah, blah.

sananspursfan21
04-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Man, i'm getting a little tired of these pep-rally threads AND the negative nancy threads. Once one is posted, the opposites always post their overblown thoughts and we either leave the computer feeling way to high or wrist slitting-ly low. Let me tell you how the series will go: If san antonio scores more points than the lakers by the end of the game, they will win. Isn't it that simple? No more over-analysis for a little while, can't wait til Sunday shuts some people up a little

LakerLanny
04-21-2013, 11:57 AM
You sound scared.

You should be, this would be a major embarrassment for the Spurs if the Lakers take them down without the Living Legend in the lineup.

Don't worry, I will buy my own beers at Game 3....