04-19-2013, 10:48 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51591848/ns/sports-nba/

Interrohater
04-19-2013, 11:02 AM
first!

Oh... are we not doing that here?

xtremesteven33
04-19-2013, 11:03 AM
I cant ever envision Popovich writing a book when he retires, but damn that would be a fantastic read.

Kamnik
04-19-2013, 11:15 AM
haha, funny and cool read :)

Libri
04-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Good read.

McDonald is scared to death to ask Pop a question. :lol

Embedded
04-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Great find! Thanks Dwayne

SpursRock20
04-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Great article and insight into the mysterious Pop. But I was confused by one little tidbit. It says that a journalist tried to break the ice with Pop by asking him a jokingly question, but did the article mistakenly put Kevin Garnett down instead of Kevin Durant, or was Garnett the correct player named because it was before the Minnesota game? Example (in San Antonio before Minnesota game): “Hey Pop, do you want to offer an over-under on how many points Kevin Garnett will score tonight?” (Garnett needed a bunch of points to win the scoring title … in the end he did not even play).

dylankerouac
04-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks for sharing this gem.

capek
04-19-2013, 12:43 PM
I cant ever envision Popovich writing a book when he retires, but damn that would be a fantastic read.

I've hoped for years now that some great writer would cajole Pop into co-writing a book at some point after he retires. It would almost be criminal for Pop not to share this singularly unique perspective he's developed in his life.

btw thanks for posting this article, it was truly a great read :tu

Dre_7
04-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Great article and insight into the mysterious Pop. But I was confused by one little tidbit. It says that a journalist tried to break the ice with Pop by asking him a jokingly question, but did the article mistakenly put Kevin Garnett down instead of Kevin Durant, or was Garnett the correct player named because it was before the Minnesota game? Example (in San Antonio before Minnesota game): “Hey Pop, do you want to offer an over-under on how many points Kevin Garnett will score tonight?” (Garnett needed a bunch of points to win the scoring title … in the end he did not even play).

I would think it was before a Minnesota game back in the day when KG was still there. Could be wrong though.

said7
04-19-2013, 01:30 PM
After reading that article I cant help but think that sjax was at fault. Even if he is fearless in the playoffs, it's just simply not what the Spurs do.
And thats what separates this team from the shit teams in this league.

Spur|n|Austin
04-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Solid read! Thanks for sharing. :toast

That would be wonderful; though I recall in an interview overseas during summer ball a few years back, a young American reporter asked him some solid questions and one was asking if he would ever write a book. He laughed and said nobody wanted to read what he had to say. That was actually the happiest and nicest I've ever seen him during an interview.

Does anyone remember the interview or possibly have a link? I've searched before but to no avail.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
A truly amazing piece of journalism. :toast

silverblackfan
04-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Damn fine read. Long article but kept together well with the reporters questions. Which Pop must find entertaining, if he bothered to read an article about himself.

Spur|n|Austin
04-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Damn fine read. Long article but kept together well with the reporters questions. Which Pop must find entertaining, if he bothered to read an article about himself.

Pop most likely doesn't bother to read an article about anything Spurs related.

Dingle Barry
04-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Wow I think that's the best sports article I've ever read. certainly am biased but just damn thorough and insightful.

Dunc n Dave
04-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Wow I think that's the best sports article I've ever read. certainly am biased but just damn thorough and insightful.

This. Very insightful article. Well worth the time it takes to read through it.

TheGoldStandard
04-19-2013, 11:57 PM
I bet Pop has a million stories that he doesn't think are anything special but to us they'd be pure gold.

lefty
04-20-2013, 01:22 AM
Super article :tu

spurs10
04-20-2013, 02:46 AM
Best basketball article I've read in some time. That Posnanski can spin a tale. Larry Brown comes off as a great mentor and friend to Pop. Perfect timing too, as we approach this greatly anticipated postseason that will be one of the last we'll see these guys all together. It's going to be pretty damn heavy, I believe...
:flag:

Cane
04-20-2013, 06:38 AM
That was an outstanding read

admiralsnackbar
04-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Good find -- thanks for posting, OP.

naico
04-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if the all mighty Stern introduces some type of new insane code of conduct for coaches and players being interviewed before he retires. Just to piss Pop off.

ace3g
04-23-2013, 03:20 PM
http://www.jackmccallum.net/2013/04/23/behind-the-interviews-the-elusive-pop/#.UXbsXso3nKd

Mugen
04-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Should be a good read, looking forward to it.

cheguevara
04-23-2013, 04:24 PM

they fixed it. it was durant at it was before last game of this season

manufan10
04-24-2013, 09:16 AM
A lot of great articles about Pop are popping (no pun intended) up. Great read. :tu