PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Stern to address homerism on local tv brodcasts

irishock
04-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA (https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA)4m (https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/325310616501907456)
Whoa...Stern says he wants to address homerism on local broadcasts? Do Tommy Heinsohn and Sean Elliott know this?

:lol

benstanfield
04-19-2013, 01:22 PM
:toast Doesn't give a shit about local ratings, just national audience
:toast Casual S.A. fans definitely want to hear more about Steve Blake and Jordan Hill

Clipper Nation
04-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Hopefully this means that blithering idiot Mike Smith can be fired and the Lawler/Walton duo can be reunited, tbh...

Killakobe81
04-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Hopefully this means that blithering idiot Mike Smith can be fired and the Lawler/Walton duo can be reunited, tbh...

Good pairing LA has been blessed with quality sports broadcasting on the local front: Chick n Stu, Lawler and Walton, Vin Scully Jon Miller we get talent ...

Elliott is horrid, Heinson worse and the Blazers, Rockets and Cavs announcers wretched.
No one is saying Elliott or the homers need to be completely unbiased, but they feed in to small market penis envy and conspiracy theorists with their ranting.

But I say leave them be ...Listening to Sean/Tommy moan and groan when a big shot or call goes against them is high comedy. Besides Tommy aint changing now ...

D-Wade
04-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Won't affect the Knicks, Nets, or Heat broadcasts tbh. Lakers aren't too bad either, besides the constant Kobe fawning.

ambchang
04-19-2013, 01:35 PM
So we all fan bases can keep listening about how great the Heat, Lakers and Thunder are. Great.

Killakobe81
04-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Won't affect the Knicks, Nets, or Heat broadcasts tbh. Lakers aren't too bad either, besides the constant Kobe fawning.

Overall the NBA has at least solid (broadcast) teams in half their markets. Even Utah, Gstate, Pelicans I dont ind listening in and hearing a view from the outside. Plenty of broadcast teams fawn over (player who shall note be named) ...surprised at how much respect Utah team gives him.

irishock
04-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Nets, Knicks both have great broadcasts.

Killakobe81
04-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Nets, Knicks both have great broadcasts.

They do but Frazier tries to hard to show off his vocab at times ...

Baseline
04-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Will Stern be wearing his Laker jersey when he calls Tommy Heinsohn and Sean ******?

Brunodf
04-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Cleveland/Boston are the worst

Reck
04-19-2013, 04:24 PM
They do but Frazier tries to hard to show off his vocab at times ...

Not hard at all when he's antics are actually funny.

cheguevara
04-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Commish attacking free speech. :tu I commend you comrade.

Old School 44
04-19-2013, 04:40 PM
I get that some of the homerism can get pretty bad, but Stern coming in to address it? PLEASE, retire already.
Is he going to fine teams for having announcers that question calls against their teams? If anybody needs to address homerism of the announcers, it's the teams that hire them, not the league and Stern.

CubanMustGo
04-19-2013, 04:41 PM
First Herr Stern tells teams how they have to play their teams
Now Herr Stern tells teams how they have to broadcast their games

Sieg Heil! Heil Stern!

HI-FI
04-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Stern once again being a dictator bitch.

Homerism is annoying, but I think this is more about Stern not liking the "homers" pointing out bad calls or anything fishy. He probably wants everyone to be a total company man like Mike Breen.

cheguevara
04-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Who is going to address Stern's homerism towards the Lakers, Thunder, Heat and Knicks?

AaronY
04-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Even as a Spurs fan I have to admit Elliott is horrifying..he's not funny, he's not insightful, he's so saccharine its aggravating. Anything that gets him off the air is a positive in my book

DMC
04-19-2013, 05:04 PM
When someone like Barkley can sit on national TV and say this or that team is boring to watch, while they are playing on that same channel, Stern has no room.

VBM
04-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Rockets need to bring back Calvin Murphy. He'll bring some legitimacy into local broadcasts.

http://www.allsportswny.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/calvin160.jpg

Reck
04-19-2013, 05:08 PM
I get that some of the homerism can get pretty bad, but Stern coming in to address it? PLEASE, retire already.
Is he going to fine teams for having announcers that question calls against their teams? If anybody needs to address homerism of the announcers, it's the teams that hire them, not the league and Stern.

I'm pretty sure he has no power over the announcers, short of banning them from broadcasting at an NBA event which would cost him more than its worth so I'm not sure what he's going to "announce."

What can happen out of this is a boycott and then he'll be fucked.

CitizenDwayne
04-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Just fucking retire already.

stephen jackson
04-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Even as a Spurs fan I have to admit Elliott is horrifying..he's not funny, he's not insightful, he's so saccharine its aggravating. Anything that gets him off the air is a positive in my book

fuck that then we gotta deal with andrew monacco hes such a queer fag. its annoying makes me not even wanna watch games he calls

KaiRMD1
04-19-2013, 06:03 PM
No! I love Tommy Heinsohn & the Cavaliers homer broadcasters "VIDEO GAME!""I can't take it anymore!"

Kai
04-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Our problem isn't homerism, It's just Clyde's personality/IQ.

Dro210
04-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Just fucking retire already.

This

And Sean Elliott is awesome

phyzik
04-19-2013, 07:19 PM
The difference between Elliott and other homer broadcasters is that Elliott at least acknowledges that he wears black and silver tinted glasses. He knows he's a homer. He even makes fun of himself about it a lot of the time. I doubt the majority of other homers even realize that about themselves. Also, when Elliott activates his homerism on a call, then see's the replay, he will more often than not back pedal on his initial response and say it was a good call.

All I think this is, is Stern's dictatorship trying to stop people from questioning the refs many bad decisions in regards to the recent youtube video's that appear to show blatant favoritism to The Lakers in order to get them into the playoffs. I'm not saying the video's are right on their premise, but some of those calls looked to be extremely questionable.

Here's one such video.

5MhmGyZ7KF0

spurraider21
04-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Best announcer is Joel Meyers. I have special love for him since he used to be the Raiders radio voice and then became the Spurs TV guy. Plus I heard him for a while when he was doing Lakers games. He does Pelicans games now

Pelicans78
04-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Best announcer is Joel Meyers. I have special love for him since he used to be the Raiders radio voice and then became the Spurs TV guy. Plus I heard him for a while when he was doing Lakers games. He does Pelicans games now

He's fantastic. Huge upgrade adding him when the Pelicans moved to Fox Sports New Orleans. He does a helluva job. The Pelicans had homer announcers the previous 10 seasons.

Latarian Milton
04-19-2013, 08:29 PM
if a forum bans poster for talking bad of the home team, is it homerism too?

lefty
04-19-2013, 08:59 PM
if a forum bans poster for talking bad of the home team, is it homerism too?
then we would get 404 error message

mercos
04-19-2013, 09:11 PM
To much ref questioning for Stern's liking if I had to guess. You hear that a lot more on local broadcasts than you do on national broadcasts, where bad calls are frequently ignored.

HI-FI
04-19-2013, 09:19 PM
probably the same reason Stern screwed over Stan Van Gundy from getting a job with ESPN. there's only so many truth bombs Stern will tolerate.

Venti Quattro
04-19-2013, 09:25 PM
I hope this gets Billy Mac out of a job and Joel Meyers back into the LA crew.

whitemamba
04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
I hope this gets Billy Mac out of a job and Joel Meyers back into the LA crew.
fucking this! joel meyers was the man, shame hes with NO now days

irishock
04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Billy Mac is even worse than Tommy tbh

callo1
04-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Good pairing LA has been blessed with quality sports broadcasting on the local front: Chick n Stu, Lawler and Walton, Vin Scully Jon Miller we get talent ...

Elliott is horrid, Heinson worse and the Blazers, Rockets and Cavs announcers wretched.
No one is saying Elliott or the homers need to be completely unbiased, but they feed in to small market penis envy and conspiracy theorists with their ranting.

But I say leave them be ...Listening to Sean/Tommy moan and groan when a big shot or call goes against them is high comedy. Besides Tommy aint changing now ...

Lol, Stu is as blind of a homer as there is in the league...a pile of rotting feces.

Sean may be a homer, but he has no pretense in doing so. He does so with a tongue and cheek approach 95% of the time, whereas Stu really believes his moronic self.

In addition, Sean actually had a career with the team he calls games for, unlike the fecal matter Stu, who had 2 scrub years playing for the Lakers, and calls the games like he was a HoF career player on the squad.

It is the job of the local broadcasters to show bias towards their own team, but don't act like Stu's ass is golden, he shows Every bit as much bias, but is actually serious in doing so.

Venti Quattro
04-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Lol, Stu is as blind of a homer as there is in the league...a pile of rotting feces.

Sean may be a homer, but he has no pretense in doing so. He does so with a tongue and cheek approach 95% of the time, whereas Stu really believes his moronic self.

In addition, Sean actually had a career with the team he calls games for, unlike the fecal matter Stu, who had 2 scrub years playing for the Lakers, and calls the games like he was a HoF career player on the squad.

It is the job of the local broadcasters to show bias towards their own team, but don't act like Stu's ass is golden, he shows Evert bit as much bias, but is actually serious in doing so.

:lmao shut the fuck up

Stu Lantz is a million times a better commentator than Sean :cry Memorial Day Miracle :cry Elliott

callo1
04-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Lol @ 2 scrub years and he acts like the Lakers GOAT :lol

callo1
04-20-2013, 11:13 AM
:lmao shut the fuck up

Stu Lantz is a million times a better commentator than Sean :cry Memorial Day Miracle :cry Elliott

Keep drinking that Purple 'n Piss Koolaid...if you run out, grab another cup from Uncle Stern...he always has more ready and waiting.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-20-2013, 11:36 AM
I'd be upset about this I thought for a second that the league was going to do anything beyond lip service to the perceived problem. A couple of years ago they were going to crack down on whining to the refs. This year was going to be the year that flopping got addressed.

FkLA
04-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Why would the Lakers let Meyers go? Best in the business tbh.

And yall are stupid if yall dont realize being such a huge homer is a part of Elliotts sense of humor. Dude is a goofy guy, taking cracks at guys on the team all the time on air. If youve watched enough Spurs games youll also have heard the 'Ill take it' or 'Im not complaining' line followed by a chuckle after a bad call goes in the Spurs favor...which is an acknowledgement that the call was wrong. Hes not unbiased by any means, but his homerism is kind of overblown imo.

Thread
04-20-2013, 12:04 PM
They're all in bed together. And there is way too much money involved to permit anything but homerism. It's no longer a mom&pop business. "Independent" Media won't even denigrate the product. They've been told, and most are partially if not fully owned by the teams. It's like incest, kissing your sister, but, getting paid for it.

spurraider21
04-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Stu Lantz is unbearable. His ass has been carried by Chick Hearn and Joel Meyers. Now that Sunderland is back their broadcast sucks again. Their radio is actually worse. John Ireland is funny but is a self admitted homer, or "shameless Laker apologist" and Mychal Thompson is the radio version of Stu Lantz