PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wants Broader Effort by Bush on Crisis in Sudan

DeSPURado
09-03-2004, 03:24 AM
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

NANTUCKET, Mass., Sept. 2 - Senator John Kerry called on President Bush on Thursday to take the lead in stopping the killing of civilians in the Darfur region of Sudan by declaring it a genocide, pushing for tough United Nations sanctions on the government, backing the deployment of an international force and raising money for relief aid.

As a United Nations special envoy, Jan Pronk, briefed the Security Council in New York on his findings that Sudan had failed to rein in the Arab militias attacking black Africans in Darfur, Mr. Kerry said the choice facing the Bush administration was "whether to give Sudan another pass or, finally, to punish the real perpetrators of the violence."

"Many governments want to evade the issue yet again," Mr. Kerry said in a statement. "I hope ours will not be one of them."

NYTimes (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/03/politics/campaign/03sudan.html)

Hook Dem
09-03-2004, 11:31 AM
I wonder if he has checked with Germany, France, or the United Nations before making those comments. Is he advocating that the U.S. commit more troops to a situation when he votes to diminish our capability? Damn...he's playing both sides again!

Hook Dem
09-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Besides, why doesn't he just wait until he is elected and show us the way?:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Why isn't he leading the call in the Senate? All I see him is attacking Bush...

Bandit2981
09-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Besides, why doesn't he just wait until he is elected and show us the way?
great idea, Hook! :p

Yonivore
09-03-2004, 04:21 PM
"Why isn't he leading the call in the Senate? All I see him is attacking Bush..."
Good point. Has he sponsored any legislation on the issue?