PDA

View Full Version : Muscle McGrady

Yuixafun
04-20-2013, 12:16 AM
I used to work with this guy at the sushi bar, but he was let go about a year go. He just didn't move fast enough.

Anyway... off and on I'd run into him and we'd chat, make plans to chill, but never happened.

Today I kicked it with him, hit up the barber shop, got some grub shot some hoops caught up on life events etc.

Turns out he's now working at the Spurs practice facility, doing security and other odd tasks.

I read in another thread T-Mac looked fat or whatever... but my friend told me in passing that
he was surprised at how much muscle mass T-mac had put on.

I questioned the veracity of that statement having watched an interview with McGrady and he looked a little hefty,
but he assured me that it was muscle bulk.

It makes sense, when you add size to your body it's gonna show on your face, since you don't really work those muscles...

Yea I know, this has no clear bearing on the grand scheme of things, but just thought I'd share that little bit of info.

HarlemHeat37
04-20-2013, 12:20 AM
Makes sense, it sounds like he's planning on playing in the post, based on his comments about adjusting his game..

cheguevara
04-20-2013, 12:37 AM
camera puts some extra weight on you, plus men over 30 have some extra fat on the face. just facts of life

TheGoldStandard
04-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Had to get bigger in order to play more physical ball and be more durable especially in china where you can pretty much maim someone.

Russo21
04-20-2013, 08:48 AM
He'll be a Point Forward hopefully.

He has the nifty passing skills to run the PG, get the ball to teammates or score himself as the defender can't leave him open, he couldnt do that for long but would excel in spot minutes to relieve TP and save us from Neal/Mills running PG.

SG and SF where he'll play most he can score, pass, drive, slash, shoot the 3 or midrange. Finish or dish to timmeh.

If we go small he can play small ball 4 and use his crafty skills, passing, size and length to get a shot off or help Tim get easy buckets.

He has size, versatility, strength and knowledge to guard all 4 positions in limited minutes to. Piss off PG's Thabo style with his long arms and quickness and basically to just give 100% whether it be defending Wade and LBJ in the Finals or Butler, Westbrick, Curry, Iggy etc on the wings. Let's hope he's up for the challenge cause Leonard can't play 48 all playoffs and our SG's are iffy. So yeah, i'm expecting a lot. Only thing that will hold him back is Pop. Let's hope he throws TMAC out of the frying pan and into the fire and see what he can do.

benefactor
04-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Makes sense, it sounds like he's planning on playing in the post, based on his comments about adjusting his game..
Yeah...he's going to fill the Diaw role more than the Jack role tbh. He's not near what he used to be but he should be quick enough to take most PF's off the dribble where he can draw a foul or make a pass to an open teammate.

ace3g
04-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN) 10m (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/325669286582579201) Duncan says he thinks Tracy McGrady can help in this series. Says you can tell he'd been playing some during his downtime.

Destro
04-20-2013, 01:08 PM
look at Robert Horry's body or even Sean ****** during his career. Same kinda thing perhaps

HarlemHeat37
04-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Diaw's girth certainly plays a large role in the effectiveness his skill set, but his best trait is obviously his passing ability, which stems from his development as a point forward..Diaw isn't a traditional quality passing big like a Duncan or Marc Gasol, he has the passing ability of a guard..he makes passes off the dribble and on the drive, which is rare in a big..

McGrady can emulate Boris's passing and skills as a point forward..while undersized, T-Mac didn't lose his instincts and coordination as a wing player, which should be an advantage against opposing bigs..the problem will be replacing Diaw's post defense, which is underrated, and virtually impossible for McGrady to accomplish..OTOH, there will never be concerns about McGrady passing up open shots and lacking aggression, so at least there's a silver lining there..

KL2
04-20-2013, 01:59 PM
The only way T-Mac plays is if Green chokes BAD like he did last year, or the Spurs have absolutely no hope and Pop just throws whoever out there. Same goes for Baynes.

benefactor
04-20-2013, 02:24 PM
The only way T-Mac plays is if Green chokes BAD like he did last year, or the Spurs have absolutely no hope and Pop just throws whoever out there. Same goes for Baynes.
Horrible take is horrible.

ace3g
04-20-2013, 03:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIUiMXfCUAA9XRw.jpg:large

SpursSTH (https://twitter.com/SpursSTH) Chris Monroe 39s (https://twitter.com/SpursSTH/status/325704143907999744)
Playoff signage going up @attcenter (https://twitter.com/attcenter) pic.twitter.com/T4Bfo7XvNM (http://t.co/T4Bfo7XvNM)

TheGoldStandard
04-20-2013, 03:27 PM
T Mac will get minutes, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see him early tomorrow just to throw a kink in the game to get Kawhi a rest early as we're probably going to have him late in the 4th quarter. Probably see T Mac, Neal, Manu Bonner and Blair or something like that till we get Diaw back

cd98
04-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Actually at his age and with his knees, he should be losing weight. That would help him retain some athleticism. His height and ball handling will allow him to score in the low post. He doesn't need more muscle.

letmk
04-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Didn't see enough to evaluate TMac's body, but his face looks slimmer than his injury days back in Houston.

coachmac87
04-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Best thing bout McGrady taking Diaw spot..is teams wont be able to sag off him. If they do he's gotta let it fly

Chinook
04-20-2013, 07:48 PM
While I can certainly see McGrady getting minutes at the four, I think he'll primarily play at the three. Even if he and Leonard are on the floor at the same time, Kawhi will probably be the four, as he actually has experience at that position. Although in this series, McGrady could come in to play the four when Jamison is out there. I can't see him guarding any other four the Spurs are likely to see in the playoffs, expect small-ball Durant.

KenziE
04-20-2013, 09:05 PM
"i feel good im ready to rock" -- TD21

ace3g
04-20-2013, 09:32 PM
A few things:

1. How many minutes if any TMac will get in Game 1

2. In his minutes how is his movement? Against SFs and PFs

3. Shooting touch in game speed.

thunderup
04-20-2013, 09:37 PM
As an outsider, I'm looking forward to seeing what TMac has left. Our fanbase has wanted for some time to sign him to fill a DFish-like role.

Looking forward to tomorrow's exciting game yall.

Chinook
04-20-2013, 09:42 PM
A few things:

1. How many minutes if any TMac will get in Game 1

2. In his minutes how is his movement? Against SFs and PFs

3. Shooting touch in game speed.

Three very good questions. Here are my answers:

1-He has the best chance of getting minutes when two of Clark, Jamison and MWP play together. I don't think he'll play the four if Gasol and Howard are playing, and if Green or Ginobili has trouble guarding one of the combo-forwards, then bringing in a bigger body makes sense. Since the Lakers are a small team from a pure-wing standpoint, Danny and Manu should be able to play the three fine in most cases.

2- I pretty much answered it above. He'll probably play against Jamison if he plays at all. If McGrady does well in that assignment, then I could see him getting more minutes. I think he'll play whichever position Jamison is playing, so that may be as a three or as a four. It won't make much functional difference, though.

3-We'll have to see. The Spurs should be able to get him open, and if Jamison is the one matched up with him, McGrady should have some opportunities to show us.

Poolboy5623
04-20-2013, 10:45 PM
It's gonna be tough for him...hopefully the guys around him help him out, a lot..I wasn't bummed jack was let go, just that it happened when it did. Tmac could have really benefited from a few regular season, warm up games. Now he needs to do that in the playoffs..I'll hope for the best though. And btw he's not fat. Saw a pic of him on fb and was impressed with his arms and how big they looked. I've seen other pics showing no belly at all..fwiw..