PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion

Fabbs
04-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Vieworthy.
1st two thirds plot develops at a slow but steady pace. Nicely done.
Set scenes are excellent. Very *realistic* for fake Earth post war setting.
"Borrows" from a lot of movies per the HWood usual, Matrix etc. Tries to give Tom Cruise one liners tough guy like Arnie. Fails.
But still has it's own identity and the attempted Arnies don't ruin it by any means.

4/5ths of the way thru it's gonna do a bunch of plot twisting. Too much to process IMO in one view.
Best for me to view on DVD with pause button to have plot twists explained by Oblivion know it all.

jeebus
04-23-2013, 10:21 PM
the scenes of Earth were the best; it's worth seeing for that part alone. I read reviews from critics who didn't care about the movie kinda borrowing from other movies but I think it did well among others of its genre.
The plot twisting was good but I had kinda guessed what would happen from seeing the commercials; I won't give anything away but it's not a stupid plot twist like from the indian faggot director where it was plants all along. Like I said in the movie thread, it's a solid 7.5 outta 10, maybe an 8. Pretty good start to the summer movies imho tbh.

GoodOdor
04-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Shit movie tbh. Plot was beyond terrible.

Spur|n|Austin
04-23-2013, 10:45 PM
I've been told to go check it out; think I may on Sat or Sun.

JudynTX
04-24-2013, 09:30 AM
I've been told you have to see it twice to understand it. Pffffft :lol

jeebus
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I've been told you have to see it twice to understand it. Pffffft :lol
It wasn't that hard to understand. What was the part people didn't understand imo?

Fabbs
04-25-2013, 04:46 PM
It wasn't that hard to understand. What was the part people didn't understand imo?
:lol I've got about 8 questions. Or more. I should hook up with a discussion board on Oblivion.
If you want to field them, great.

Also above i posted that script had Tom doing Arnie Schwartz one liners and failing. They only tried it a couple times. Most of the time Cruises' character Jack was pretty likeable.

jeebus
04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
:lol I've got about 8 questions. Or more. I should hook up with a discussion board on Oblivion.
If you want to field them, great.

Also above i posted that script had Tom doing Arnie Schwartz one liners and failing. They only tried it a couple times. Most of the time Cruises' character Jack was pretty likeable.

sons which questions? I might know the answer to them imo. just throw up spoiler tags

Avante
04-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Talked to a few friends at different places who saw it, all said it was a disappointment. Not bad or that it sucked, it just didn't live up to expectations.

Fabbs
04-26-2013, 08:29 AM
sons which questions? I might know the answer to them imo. just throw up spoiler tags
*******Spoilers*******

Victoria. How close to becoming "human" was she?
Victoria sure seemed emotional and attached to Jack. When it came time to report Jack -or not- for going *rougue* and doing a search without Bitch Nancys knowing about it, Victoria seemed like she really wanted to cover for Jack. In the end she was *loyal* to bitch Nancy, but just how close was Victoria to becoming full on human?

Also when she met Jacks wife the look was one of jealousy. I took it as it was a combo of jealousy towards Juila combined with clone loyalty to bitch Nancy that made Victoria close the door on Jack and wife.

At any rate, Victoria seemed much too emotional to be merely a clone. Was she on the verge of breaking thru her cloneness just as Jack did?

Who was/was not on the ship that went on the final voyage to blow up Nancy?
When back on Earth discussing how they would blow up Nancy, Jack said the only way Morgan Freeman could see Nancy get blown was for Morgan to get blown up himself.
Then Jack said "he (Jack) would blow up Nancy himself (suicide mission), but that he could not"?????? Wife Julia then says "you could do it if i was with you." I believe this has to do with Nancy expecting Jacks wife Julia to be the prized "cargo" and thus tricking Nancy into thinking Jack was still a good little clone and their mission was doing her bidding.
Jack then says okay lets do it and we are lead to believe Jack and Julia leave with Julia in sleeping pod headed for Nancy. Julia is in ships sleeping pod.
When they get to Nancy, it's Jack and Morgan ready to do, and then doing Nancy in.

Next thing we know wife Julia is not in sleeping pod on ship, but then she shows up in sleeping pod at the cabin. Instead its Morgan in the sleeping pod on the ship.
WTH?
Which Jack is this blowing up Nancy?
Because back at the cabin, Jack shows up to meet his wife. Is this a completely seperate Jack?

Julia has Jacks kid, the kid is now about 3 or 4. Who knocked up Julia? Jack? Of course it was Jack. Okay then why does "Jack" show up 3 years later with the rest of the survivors? Why didn't "Jack" go to the cabin to be with his wife 3 years prior? Did it really take the surviors 3 years to find the cabin?

Did the original human NASA astronaut Jack die 60 years ago? So that all we are seeing is clones of Jack? Or was he put into some sleeping pod like Julia?

jeebus
04-26-2013, 10:15 AM
*******Spoilers*******

Regarding Victoria - if you recall in the spaceship flashback, she took a pic of her and Jack. It could be she had the hots for him back then but didn't do anything because he was married to Julia. That's why whenever Julia came around later on, she got all bitchy towards her and super jealous. Women cannot deny Tom Cruise in movies. But yes, she might've been starting to remember things, thus the daily "are you an effective team?" stuff.

Regarding blowing up SALLY (not nancy, son) - yup, you're right. MFreeman said he wouldn't even get close if he tried to fly a nuke up there. That's why they needed the pod. Julia ended up by the cabin because they had extra pods from the crashed NASA ship (the empty pods for Jack and Victoria). So he put Julia asleep, took her back to the cabin, picked up another pod, and hooked up MF. And about the kid, either she got knocked up 60 years ago or during the one night stand in the cabin they had. Now! If you recall, Jack 49("our" Jack, if you will) went into the radiation zone and found Jack 52. After he choked him out and tied him up, he left to go get medical supplies from their little home; when he got back, Jack 52 escaped. At the end, when the survivors appear, you'll see on that Jack's uniform the #52. So when he saw Julia with Jack 49, he went out looking for her. And yes, it probably did take them 3 years to find the cabin. It was in that valley surrounded by mountains and they needed Jack 52 to find it (cuz they think alike and shit).

Original Jack and Victoria are dead. They probably got chopped up or anally probed then cloned by the millions. The aliens have been using clones of Jack since they took over the planet; that was their main army tbh.

Fabbs
04-26-2013, 12:13 PM
********Spoilers*******

MFreeman said he wouldn't even get close if he tried to fly a nuke up there. That's why they needed the pod.
Is the allegedly super smart Sally unable to detect that the pod contained Morgan and not Julia?

I noticed also Sally was unable to detect which Jack was driving the nuke loaded ship. In the pre entry stage. Altho Sally did say "I detect from your voice you are lieing." and the mission looked in peril. But then Jack 49 gave her some b.s.y answer and she bought it.

Jack 52 escaped. At the end, when the survivors appear, you'll see on that Jack's uniform the #52. So when he saw Julia with Jack 49, he went out looking for her. And yes, it probably did take them 3 years to find the cabin. It was in that valley surrounded by mountains and they needed Jack 52 to find it (cuz they think alike and shit).
So how did Jack 52 go from brainwashed Sally bot to I love you Honey, I'm back lets continue on the 'reborn' Earth and humans path?
Safe to say Jack 52 was being held prisoner by The Remnants, then when Sally died, Jack 52 got his good memories and began a return to full humaness?

jeebus
04-26-2013, 03:46 PM
********Spoilers*******

Is the allegedly super smart Sally unable to detect that the pod contained Morgan and not Julia?

I noticed also Sally was unable to detect which Jack was driving the nuke loaded ship. In the pre entry stage. Altho Sally did say "I detect from your voice you are lieing." and the mission looked in peril. But then Jack 49 gave her some b.s.y answer and she bought it.

So how did Jack 52 go from brainwashed Sally bot to I love you Honey, I'm back lets continue on the 'reborn' Earth and humans path?
Safe to say Jack 52 was being held prisoner by The Remnants, then when Sally died, Jack 52 got his good memories and began a return to full humaness?
Sally was able to hear what he was saying, not really detect the person inside. The plothole you should be looking at is why Sally didn't detect that Jack 49 was flying Jack 52's craft. It had a big "52" painted on the side of it :lol

Remember when 49 went to 52's house to get the medkit? He talked to Victoria there and she asked Jack the same stuff the other Victoria did, about why he keeps bring up living on Earth or going for a visit somewhere. Safe to assume almost all the Jacks had some sort of memory about their life and were questioning things. Kinda hard to tell though with just the two clones.

Fabbs
04-27-2013, 10:26 AM
******Spoilers******
Hey jeebus i got an idea for future use. If we print with yellow (i think) font, no one can see it. It shows up when you run the cursor over it.
Can't remember if that is with yellow or grey color but it works.

The plothole you should be looking at is why Sally didn't detect that Jack 49 was flying Jack 52's craft. It had a big "52" painted on the side of it :lol
Nice catch! Did you pick all this up on one viewing? You are private eye material.

Sally was able to hear what he was saying, not really detect the person inside.

yeah....but i thought Sally said "I notice from your voice inflection.."
I just thought they could have come up with a more creative way to get past Sally.

Good points on 49 going to 52's house. I had no idea. Thank you.

I still don't get how Jack at the end with The Remnants approaching the cabin where he then saw *his* wife with *their* 3 year old kid......
How did he know that was his wife and kid. Is how i guessed correct, that once 49 and Morgan Freeman blew up Sally that Jack 52 got a huge memory restoration?

jeebus
04-27-2013, 11:00 AM
******Spoilers******
Nice catch! Did you pick all this up on one viewing? You are private eye material.

yeah....but i thought Sally said "I notice from your voice inflection.."
I just thought they could have come up with a more creative way to get past Sally.

Good points on 49 going to 52's house. I had no idea. Thank you.

I still don't get how Jack at the end with The Remnants approaching the cabin where he then saw *his* wife with *their* 3 year old kid......
How did he know that was his wife and kid. Is how i guessed correct, that once 49 and Morgan Freeman blew up Sally that Jack 52 got a huge memory restoration?
I think it's gray, I'll try it.

Yeah I picked it up first viewing; I think they kinda zoomed in on it when he met up with 52 in that desert area.

It's possible they got a memory restoration when the Tet blew up, but I think it's because all the Jack clones were remembering their past a bit. 52 looked pretty shocked when he saw her for the first time in the desert. That may be why they swap out clones every few years with the promise of joining the others. The "memory wipe" isn't perfect and the clones will end up remembering their past after a long enough time. There's a lot of assumptions since the movie doesn't answer everything but meh.

Mark919
04-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Any movie you mention or suggest on spurstalk will get shitted on by haters.as if it matters .

Fabbs
04-29-2013, 06:48 PM
There's a lot of assumptions since the movie doesn't answer everything but meh.[/COLOR]

Do you take it as Julia never did die? She was *asleep* inside the sleeping pod since way back in the Invasion of the Tet days 60 years prior?
The sleep pod. Remember the original Planet of the Apes with Chuck Heston and co? :lol Great movie all in all for its time. They were in the similar sleep chamber type deals.

Fabbs
04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Any movie you mention or suggest on spurstalk will get shitted on by haters.as if it matters .
That be expanded to any post on any subject. :lol

jeebus
04-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Do you take it as Julia never did die? She was *asleep* inside the sleeping pod since way back in the Invasion of the Tet days 60 years prior?
The sleep pod. Remember the original Planet of the Apes with Chuck Heston and co? :lol Great movie all in all for its time. They were in the similar sleep chamber type deals.
No, she never died. The whole crew made it back except for Jack and Victoria. Then when the crew got jettisoned on the ground, those drones blew the shit outta everyone but Julia. Pretty shitty way to go tbh; you get put in the pod expecting to wake up around Jupiter but you never do.

Fabbs
04-29-2013, 09:27 PM
No, she never died. The whole crew made it back except for Jack and Victoria. Then when the crew got jettisoned on the ground, those drones blew the shit outta everyone but Julia. Pretty shitty way to go tbh; you get put in the pod expecting to wake up around Jupiter but you never do.
So where was the crew all 60 years?
What was their mission. They left Earth 60 years earlier intending to??? Blow up the Tec???

jeebus
04-29-2013, 09:37 PM
So where was the crew all 60 years?
What was their mission. They left Earth 60 years earlier intending to??? Blow up the Tec???

They were in orbit the whole time. Whenever the resistance guys set off that beacon, the pod went on to land.

Their mission was to go check out Jupiter and outlying areas but whenever NASA discovered the Tet, their mission turned into finding out what it was.

Fabbs
04-29-2013, 09:56 PM
They were in orbit the whole time. Whenever the resistance guys set off that beacon, the pod went on to land.

Their mission was to go check out Jupiter and outlying areas but whenever NASA discovered the Tet, their mission turned into finding out what it was.

When Jack came upon the Remnants, Morgan Freeman recounted how it came down.
He said "We won the war, but we had to go nuke on them to do it. They blew the hell out of our moon. This is what's left over."

Since the Remnants were forced to live underground and hide night and day from the drone fucks including Jack-Victoria clones under Sallys power, wouldn't it be much more accurate to say:
"The Tec Alien won the war. A small portion of us survived. We'd still like to eventually win the war, but we face huge obstacles."
As the Tec Alien was sucking huge quantities of earths water......

jeebus
04-29-2013, 10:08 PM
When Jack came upon the Remnants, Morgan Freeman recounted how it came down.
He said "We won the war, but we had to go nuke on them to do it. They blew the hell out of our moon. This is what's left over."

Since the Remnants were forced to live underground and hide night and day from the drone fucks including Jack-Victoria clones under Sallys power, wouldn't it be much more accurate to say:
"The Tec Alien won the war. A small portion of us survived. We'd still like to eventually win the war, but we face huge obstacles."
As the Tec Alien was sucking huge quantities of earths water......

That nuke quote was a Jack quote at the beginning of the movie, I think. Not sure when he said it but it was definitely a Jack quote. Morgan said the moon quote, along with the earthquakes and how it screwed up the planet. He was safe in Chicago because of bedrock or something like that which surrounded the city. I can't believe you missed all of this, lol.

Fabbs
05-01-2013, 11:09 AM
I actually typed at first "when Jack said at the start of the movie", then over thought it and re typed with Morgan only.
Anywho I'll see it again and won't come off as retard. Probably not.

So the Tet and Nancy messed with Jacks head so much that he bought the lie that he was spinning, that being "we won the war" -yeah right.
This is gonna be a good t.v. rerun movie years from now.

Fabbs
06-30-2013, 09:00 AM
jeebus,
Saw Oblivion for the 2nd time. Got out of the heat wave. Props again for the clarifications, most helpful in my Oblivion viewage.
I pretty much get the whole movie now. It is a good one to see a 2nd time imo, think it will be replayed a lot on TNT or whatever 2nd run movie channel years from now.
***spoilers****
Q. When Jack Harper the original 2017 version was going on his NASA mission, he and co-pilot Victoria arrived at the entrance of Tet-Bitch Sallys. Jack got freaked out and shuttled his wife and the other 4 crew members. That is how wife and crew came to be in orbit asleep for 60 years. Okay.....did Jack now recognize Bitch Sally and sense she/it had used deception and it was not NASA at all behind this fateful *mission*? Or did Jack jettison his wife and the crew because....he just thought something was going wrong, he wasn't quite sure what but he thought something was wrong.......however he did not know anything about Bitch Nancy at that point in time? Next thing we know* Tet Sallys swallowed up the ship and began her cloning. *Well we don't see it but it's implied.

Very well done. Plot hole for me continues to be Sallys catching Jack 49 in a lie at the entry way, but then Jack overcoming the lie by simply saying "We're here because we want the species to survive and you're a nice twat Sally" -words to that effect. To which Sally says "Come on down!". I don't like it in any movies when the sinister but super smart villan flip flops and becomes easily duped. If Nancy read voice inflection and blood pressure raises on Jacks 1st lie, why would she not detect it on his second lie 10 seconds later. But all in all very well done flick.

The Reckoning
06-30-2013, 09:09 AM
skyrim is better imo

TDMVPDPOY
06-30-2013, 09:35 AM
jeebus,
Saw Oblivion for the 2nd time. Got out of the heat wave. Props again for the clarifications, most helpful in my Oblivion viewage.
I pretty much get the whole movie now. It is a good one to see a 2nd time imo, think it will be replayed a lot on TNT or whatever 2nd run movie channel years from now.
***spoilers****
Q. When Jack Harper the original 2017 version was going on his NASA mission, he and co-pilot Victoria arrived at the entrance of Tet-Bitch Sallys. Jack got freaked out and shuttled his wife and the other 4 crew members. That is how wife and crew came to be in orbit asleep for 60 years. Okay.....did Jack now recognize Bitch Sally and sense she/it had used deception and it was not NASA at all behind this fateful *mission*? Or did Jack jettison his wife and the crew because....he just thought something was going wrong, he wasn't quite sure what but he thought something was wrong.......however he did not know anything about Bitch Nancy at that point in time? Next thing we know* Tet Sallys swallowed up the ship and began her cloning. *Well we don't see it but it's implied.

Very well done. Plot hole for me continues to be Sallys catching Jack 49 in a lie at the entry way, but then Jack overcoming the lie by simply saying "We're here because we want the species to survive and you're a nice twat Sally" -words to that effect. To which Sally says "Come on down!". I don't like it in any movies when the sinister but super smart villan flip flops and becomes easily duped. If Nancy read voice inflection and blood pressure raises on Jacks 1st lie, why would she not detect it on his second lie 10 seconds later. But all in all very well done flick.

the jack you see throughout the movie was a clone just like the rest, we dont know whether NET killed off the original and mass clone him, clearly they didnt reprogrammed him....saying one went rogue, means all of them have a possibility of going rogue also if they ever got into contact with the humans, thats just how it is...

Fabbs
07-21-2013, 12:49 PM
skyrim is better imo
Is this a porno or are you talking about Skyfall?

Fabbs
07-21-2013, 12:51 PM
the jack you see throughout the movie was a clone just like the rest, we dont know whether NET killed off the original and mass clone him, clearly they didnt reprogrammed him....saying one went rogue, means all of them have a possibility of going rogue also if they ever got into contact with the humans, thats just how it is...
My q is when Original Jack in 2017 is on his NASA mission and arrives at the entryway of TetSallys....
What is it he senses that causes him to jettison wife and 4 other crew into orbit?

jeebus
07-21-2013, 01:15 PM
What is it he senses that causes him to jettison wife and 4 other crew into orbit?
When they were approaching the Tet, they came to a stop but they didn't stop moving forward. When they tried to reverse thrusters or whatever, they just kept moving forward. Eventually they had to turn them off because it was gonna break the ship apart. So Jack jettisoned the crew sleeping module for them to escape because obviously he didn't want anything bad to happen to them, especially his wife. It obviously then worked cuz the Tet pulled Jack and his bitch co pilot in but the others made it back.

Fabbs
07-21-2013, 01:26 PM
^^ aha gracias.

Rogue
12-07-2013, 09:48 AM
excellent performances by Cruise and Freeman and supporting cast and the plot is very thoughtful, and it kind of reminds me of another film released in 05 directed by Michael Bay - The Island which featured Ewan McGregor and our goddess. Protagonists of both films were dressed in white and didn't know shit at first, but gradually learned everything and managed to escape from the grand scam in the end.

jeebus
12-07-2013, 10:02 AM
excellent performances by Cruise and Freeman and supporting cast and the plot is very thoughtful, and it kind of reminds me of another film released in 05 directed by Michael Bay - The Island which featured Ewan McGregor and our goddess. Protagonists of both films were dressed in white and didn't know shit at first, but gradually learned everything and managed to escape from the grand scam in the end.

plus she showed some great side boob