Good Role Player
Role Player

What is he right now?!

nkdlunch
07-08-2005, 04:11 PM
All of the above.

WalterBenitez
07-08-2005, 04:12 PM
up to now STAR, but ... who knows the future, I mean the very near future.

FromWayDowntown
07-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Vacationing Champion.

Solid D
07-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Star in the US
Superstar in Argentina

There are some in Argentina who may try to equate his name Emanuel (Heb. meaning -"God with us") with a special giftedness, although not THE Emanuel.

FoxMulder
07-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Emanuel=JC

JC himself!?
thatīs a blasphemy man!!!

Excuse me, that's because Iīm christian too...

Athenea
07-08-2005, 04:33 PM
SuperStar
Star
Good Role Player
Role Player

Whatever is required to win :fro

Solid D
07-08-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm a Christian and I'm not saying people think Manu is equated with Jesus, but some people do get carried away with what Manu means to them, and his name does mean God with us. A news article recently talked about people just wanting to touch Manu when he returned home. He has brought hope to many of his countrymen.

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer because the Lord is foremost in my life and I wouldn't want to offend or miscommunicate.

Here's what I said:

There are some in Argentina who may try to equate his name Emanuel (Heb. meaning -"God with us") with a special giftedness, although not THE Emanuel.

FoxMulder
07-08-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm a Christian and I'm not saying people think Manu is equated with Jesus, but some people do get carried away with what Manu means to them, and his name does mean God with us. A news article recently talked about people just wanting to touch Manu when he returned home. He has brought hope to many of his countrymen.

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer because the Lord is foremost in my life and I wouldn't want to offend or miscommunicate.

Here's what I said:

donīt worry I was just joking about ;)

FoxMulder
07-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Iīm from Argentina and I think the media is overreacting... 4 years ago nobody know who was manu and now some people here compares him to a saint or something like that...

letīs pray for them and for manuīs soul :)

Solid D
07-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Okay, great.

beirmeistr
07-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Ginobili is an Allstar who is a very good role player with the Spurs and who plays like a superstar in the pressure-packed playoffs.

Mr. Body
07-08-2005, 10:52 PM
He's an odd one. He's a Star level player normally who seems almost Horry-like in seeming to take games off. He won't press in a game where he's not needed and winds up with a 9 point, 2 rebound, 3 assist game.

But then come crunch time in big games (that Phoenix OT game, all the playoffs), he was clearly a Superstar.

E20
07-08-2005, 10:59 PM
He's between 'Star' and 'Good Role Player' but, of course in Argentina he is a 'Superstar'.

ZStomp
07-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Starting Shooting Guard for the San Antonio Spurs

tophy7
07-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Starting Shooting Guard for the San Antonio Spurs

Champion San Antonio Spurs

Spursdaone
07-08-2005, 11:14 PM
He is like a Pippen. The perfect role player.

CalsonicKansei
07-08-2005, 11:18 PM
All-Star in SA, Superstar in Buenos Aires.

SequSpur
07-08-2005, 11:21 PM
every other game player

picnroll
07-08-2005, 11:28 PM
He'll be promoted as a star by the NBA this year since the Spurs will play a lot of games on national team. Therefore he's a star. The press is what makes stars, don't you know that.

ducks
07-08-2005, 11:29 PM
a great 6 man

Spursdaone
07-08-2005, 11:30 PM
He made Duncan look great with his tricky passing.

ducks
07-08-2005, 11:33 PM
duncan makes himself look great

WalterBenitez
07-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Star in the US
Superstar in Argentina

We asked to Spanish Royal Academy (the institution that rules our language) to add MANU (in capital letters) as synonym of extraordinary basketball player, but you know ... Spanish people did not accepted :rolleyes

Spurologist
07-09-2005, 11:00 AM
I don't remember who won the last olympics?

Banks91
07-09-2005, 11:57 AM
was that kick to the face meant to be a kick to the face, or was it merely

an awkward drive

clubalien
07-09-2005, 12:16 PM
everyone said he was the euro kobe

but what many failed to identify before is that he is the

argenitinen jordan

ICE3000
07-09-2005, 01:32 PM
BETWEEN GOOD ROLE PLAYER AND STAR... WHO CARES WHAT HE IS IN ARGENTINA... ANOTHER THING NOT THAT THIS IS THE REST OF THE WORLDS FAULT BUT IF THE U.S HAD THERE 5 BEST PLAYERS IN THE OLYMPICS WE WOULD HAVE WON THE GOLD EASILY

MAYBE THIS STARTING LINEUP

GAURD SPOT#1-KOBE
GAURD SPOT#2-T-MAC
FOWARD #1-KG
FOWARD#2-TD
CENTER- SHAQ

NO WAY WE LOSE... (WAITS TO HERE HOW SOMEONE TRIES TO MAKE A CASE AGAINST THIS TEAM EASILY WINNING THE GOLD :rolleyes

ZStomp
07-09-2005, 01:35 PM
BETWEEN GOOD ROLE PLAYER AND STAR... WHO CARES WHAT HE IS IN ARGENTINA... ANOTHER THING NOT THAT THIS IS THE REST OF THE WORLDS FAULT BUT IF THE U.S HAD THERE 5 BEST PLAYERS IN THE OLYMPICS WE WOULD HAVE WON THE GOLD EASILY

GAURD SPOT#1-KOBE
GAURD SPOT#2-T-MAC
FOWARD #1-KG
FOWARD#2-TD
CENTER- SHAQ

NO WAY WE LOSE... (WAITS TO HERE HOW SOMEONE TRIES TO MAKE A CASE AGAINST THIS TEAM EASILY WINNING THE GOLD :rolleyes

I agree.

Athenea
07-09-2005, 01:58 PM

GAURD SPOT#1-KOBE
GAURD SPOT#2-T-MAC
FOWARD #1-KG
FOWARD#2-TD
CENTER- SHAQ

Still hurt? Awwww, poor thing :angel

Rick Von Braun
07-09-2005, 02:04 PM

GAURD SPOT#1-KOBE
GAURD SPOT#2-T-MAC
FOWARD #1-KG
FOWARD#2-TD
CENTER- SHAQ

NO WAY WE LOSE... (WAITS TO HERE HOW SOMEONE TRIES TO MAKE A CASE AGAINST THIS TEAM EASILY WINNING THE GOLD :rolleyes I actually disagree. Shaq would fouled out in 5 minutes using international rules. There is no natural PG in that team, and that starting 5 would be exposed to fast PGs and SGs.

It is really sad that after so many failures people here still think that a collection of star players is enough to win. How many times a TEAM has to beat USA Basketball so people realize that you need teamplayers with different roles and enough time training together?

Amazing!

Rick Von Braun
07-09-2005, 02:16 PM
BTW, let me clarify this a little more. I know that probably the vast majority agree with my statement, so I didn't mean to generalize and I should have said some fans. Adidas11 has been preaching assembling a TEAM with a full time coach for a loooong time.

I believe that if you assemble a team, picking the right personnel (including players that would be willing to play a limited role), a full time coach, and enough time training together, we have enough talent to beat any team in the international arena the vast majority of the time (in elimination games, anything can happen though, and that is the beauty of sports!).

However, the reality is that most of the NBA stars will not be willing to do this (some notable exception would be AI). In addition, lots of teams would complain about their stars and/or role players spending too much time playing for another team (even if it represents the US). So in practice, we can all speculate about the ifs, but until we actually do something about it, all the speculation is futil.

smeagol
07-09-2005, 03:17 PM
BETWEEN GOOD ROLE PLAYER AND STAR... WHO CARES WHAT HE IS IN ARGENTINA...

:flipoff

Fuck you, idiot!

There are lots of people who are interested in how Manu is perceived in Argentina. Lots of American posters have been asking what Manu's reception in Argentina has been like, is he the most revered athlete over there, etc.

So again, FUCK YOU!

ANOTHER THING NOT THAT THIS IS THE REST OF THE WORLDS FAULT BUT IF THE U.S HAD THERE 5 BEST PLAYERS IN THE OLYMPICS WE WOULD HAVE WON THE GOLD EASILY

GAURD SPOT#1-KOBE
GAURD SPOT#2-T-MAC
FOWARD #1-KG
FOWARD#2-TD
CENTER- SHAQ

Stupid fuck, 4 of the 5 players you are proposing did not have the guts to go to Athens and compete for their country (maybe with the exception of Kobe, who was injured). So fuck Snaq, KG and TMac.

Could've the team you are proposing win the gold? We will never know.

In the meantime, Argentina won the gold beating a very gifted Team USA (TD, AI, LBJ, Marbury, Wade, Melo).

If you polled Americas before the Olympics (and before they lost some pre-Olympic preparatory games), I'm sure 90% (including your stupid ass) would have said that Team USA was going to win the gold. But they didn't. They failed miserably.

Read RVB's post.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-09-2005, 03:22 PM

GAURD SPOT#1-KOBE
GAURD SPOT#2-T-MAC
FOWARD #1-KG
FOWARD#2-TD
CENTER- SHAQ

That sounds nice, the harder they come, the harder they fall...

manubili
07-09-2005, 04:56 PM

GAURD SPOT#1-KOBE
GAURD SPOT#2-T-MAC
FOWARD #1-KG
FOWARD#2-TD
CENTER- SHAQ

Keep on thinking like this, and Argentina, or Puerto Rico, or Yugoslavia, will keep on kick'n US team ass. Someday you'll remeber that basketball is a TEAM game. A bunch of extrordinary players doesn't make an extrodinary team.

Heart? hard work? practice? national pride? Have you ever heard of these words?

Ask Manu.

ALVAREZ6
07-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Looks like someone is still feelin sad from last summer....have fun waiting 3 more years....

ICE3000
07-09-2005, 07:43 PM
I Dont Give A Fuck What No One On This Board Says... I Agree That Baketball Is A Team Sport Thats What I Lovr About My Spurs, But You All Have To Be Craazy If U Think The American superstars Of The Nba Could Not Easily Beat The Rest Of The World On Talent Alone!!! You Have To Be Fuckin Stupid! Most Of Those Guys One The P.r Team Or Argentine Team Will never Step Foot On An Nba Court... Let Me Ask A Question To The Board... Do Yall Honestly Beleive That Any Team In The World Has Even A Chance If America Put Its 12 Best Players On The Court? The Rest Of The World Has Not I Repeat has Not Caught Up To The U.s... The Reason We Lost Is B/c Of Lazy Players Not Givin A Fuck About Winning A Gold Medal And Pulling Out Of The Olympics... Again This Is Not The Rest Of The Worlds Fault But Until A Team Beats The Players The U.s Has Theyve Only Proved They Can Barley Beat A Glorified J.v Version Of Team U.s.a

smeagol
07-09-2005, 08:03 PM
I Dont Give A Fuck What No One On This Board Says... I Agree That Baketball Is A Team Sport Thats What I Lovr About My Spurs, But You All Have To Be Craazy If U Think The American superstars Of The Nba Could Not Easily Beat The Rest Of The World On Talent Alone!!! You Have To Be Fuckin Stupid! Most Of Those Guys One The P.r Team Or Argentine Team Will never Step Foot On An Nba Court... Let Me Ask A Question To The Board... Do Yall Honestly Beleive That Any Team In The World Has Even A Chance If America Put Its 12 Best Players On The Court? The Rest Of The World Has Not I Repeat has Not Caught Up To The U.s... The Reason We Lost Is B/c Of Lazy Players Not Givin A Fuck About Winning A Gold Medal And Pulling Out Of The Olympics... Again This Is Not The Rest Of The Worlds Fault But Until A Team Beats The Players The U.s Has Theyve Only Proved They Can Barley Beat A Glorified J.v Version Of Team U.s.a
Iara, Iara, Iara . . .

I don't give a Fuck what your cocky ass says either, dumbfuck.

ICE3000
07-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Iara, Iara, Iara . . .

I don't give a Fuck what your cocky ass says either, dumbfuck.

I truley hate to sound like a "cocky dumbfuck" I actually a very rational spurs fan... however the world hasnt caught up with the U.S the guy over here have just gotten complacent b/c they know they could beat up on these guys with one arm tied behind there backs if they cared to get hyped up about the situation.... want proof? start tellin these selfish primadonnas in the NBA that they will get PAID to play in the olympics and watch all the stars come out... I know its sad but thats what US players are all about these days... Im not defending our guys character Im justin pointing out the fact the rest of the world still cant hold a candle to our guys

first off most of the teams we play are a real team who really play together for more than just the olympics while we throw together a :team in matter of weeks and we are still considered the favorites everytime we step onto the court.

secondly we(THE U.S) play other countries absolute best of the best they havnt tasted or cream of the crop since 92(and look what happend)... if the world caught up so much then lets start having regular NBA teams scrimmage regular European teams and lets see how many games the NBA loses. Im willin to bet the Atlanta Hawks could go over seas right now and grab a chip in any given league in most European contries... the world has not caught up

Rick Von Braun
07-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Ok, cuak... whatever you say...

please carry on...

smeagol
07-09-2005, 10:59 PM
The world is catching up, Ice boy. Those damn foreigners have learnt the game. The are tought fundamentals overseas, not just dunks. I agree that a well thought out team of Americans, with time to practice, would be probably unbeatable in the international arena. But to through five stars together does not work anymore. Fuck, don't Wade, LBJ, TD, AI and Marbury have enough star power for you? They are not Snak and Kobe, but hey, they are good too. And the got beat up badly.

But what ever you say, sport. According to you, the mighty US looks down on the rest of us, and when you guys get your act together you'll will teach us foreigners a basketball lesson.

Oh yeah, I forgot you where the one who said:

WHO CARES WHAT HE IS IN ARGENTINA

So again: A big "Fuck You" to you.

ICE3000
07-10-2005, 12:08 AM
The world is catching up, Ice boy. Those damn foreigners have learnt the game. The are tought fundamentals overseas, not just dunks. I agree that a well thought out team of Americans, with time to practice, would be probably unbeatable in the international arena. But to through five stars together does not work anymore. Fuck, don't Wade, LBJ, TD, AI and Marbury have enough star power for you? They are not Snak and Kobe, but hey, they are good too. And the got beat up badly.

But what ever you say, sport. According to you, the mighty US looks down on the rest of us, and when you guys get your act together you'll will teach us foreigners a basketball lesson.

Oh yeah, I forgot you where the one who said:

So again: A big "Fuck You" to you.

WADE+LEBRON+MELO WERE ROOKIES... NEXT TIME LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS
AI+MARBURY... PROBABLY WOULDNT PLAY MUCH IF OUR GRADE A GUYS WERE AVAILABLE

AND YES WE WILL TEACH YALL A LESSON IN 08 MARK MY WORDS...

AMARE.LBJ.WADE.MELO. WILL BE BETTER

UR MAKING ME SOUND LIKE ONE OF THOSE GUYS WHO ONLY LIKE DUNKS AND HIGHLIGHTS IM NOT THAT GUY BUT US IS BY FAR BETTER THAN THOSE FOREIGN TEAMS 100 TIMES OVER.

U KNOW THAT IF OUR BEST SQUAD WAS OUT THERE THOSE OTHER TEAMS WOULDNT STAND A CHANCE AGAINST US... ITS JUST A FACT FACE IT

AS A MATTER OF FACT I SAY ARGENTINA WON BY DEFFAULT B/C OUR A-TEAM WASNT INTERESTED IN SPENDING THE SUMMER SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS FOR PLAYERS THEY JUST BEAT BY 20+POINTS... LIKE I SAID ARGENTINA BEAT THE J.V VERSION OF TEAM USA YOU KNOW IT... I KNOW IT... THE WORLD KNOWS IT!!!

smeagol
07-10-2005, 02:56 AM

AMARE.LBJ.WADE.MELO. WILL BE BETTER

UR MAKING ME SOUND LIKE ONE OF THOSE GUYS WHO ONLY LIKE DUNKS AND HIGHLIGHTS IM NOT THAT GUY BUT US IS BY FAR BETTER THAN THOSE FOREIGN TEAMS 100 TIMES OVER.

U KNOW THAT IF OUR BEST SQUAD WAS OUT THERE THOSE OTHER TEAMS WOULDNT STAND A CHANCE AGAINST US... ITS JUST A FACT FACE IT

AS A MATTER OF FACT I SAY ARGENTINA WON BY DEFFAULT B/C OUR A-TEAM WASNT INTERESTED IN SPENDING THE SUMMER SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS FOR PLAYERS THEY JUST BEAT BY 20+POINTS... LIKE I SAID ARGENTINA BEAT THE J.V VERSION OF TEAM USA YOU KNOW IT... I KNOW IT... THE WORLD KNOWS IT!!!
Thanks for making such a compelling argument (and in a loud voice, I may add).

In other words. . ."the US will kick everybody's ass in Beijing . . . well basically because I say so!".

You are a genius.

If you wanna mark somebody's words, mark mine. The only way the US recoops the gold is if they take the Olympics more seriously. Permanent coach, motivated team, etc.

The World is catching up, sonny boy, whether you like it or not. 15 years ago, the Team US that competed in the '04 Olympics and lost would have swept the tournament. Not anymore. And in three years time, the World will get even better.

Even tough you think the US has the monopoly on talent or a God given right to win every international tournament they play, let me clue you in on something sparky. . . they don't.

Now I'm really worried. Better tell Manu and the rest of those scrubs that won the gold thanks to the US not wanting to sign autographs all summer to give the gold back because the mighhty US is comming at full force in '08 and nobody stands a chance. :rolleyes

YOU KNOW IT... I KNOW IT... THE WORLD KNOWS IT!!![/
Junior, all I know is that you are an idiot. :depressed

ICE3000
07-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Thanks for making such a compelling argument (and in a loud voice, I may add).

In other words. . ."the US will kick everybody's ass in Beijing . . . well basically because I say so!".

You are a genius.

If you wanna mark somebody's words, mark mine. The only way the US recoops the gold is if they take the Olympics more seriously. Permanent coach, motivated team, etc.

The World is catching up, sonny boy, whether you like it or not. 15 years ago, the Team US that competed in the '04 Olympics and lost would have swept the tournament. Not anymore. And in three years time, the World will get even better.

Even tough you think the US has the monopoly on talent or a God given right to win every international tournament they play, let me clue you in on something sparky. . . they don't.

Now I'm really worried. Better tell Manu and the rest of those scrubs that won the gold thanks to the US not wanting to sign autographs all summer to give the gold back because the mighhty US is comming at full force in '08 and nobody stands a chance. :rolleyes

Junior, all I know is that you are an idiot. :depressed

Argentina still only beat J.V :lol ... the world hasnt seen a team that really gave a damn about the Olympics since 92' I think this loss will the U.S something to prove and a reason for our top guys to take off there summer... remember our guys care more about money and nba rings and then Olympic gold in that order... but for now I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens and let have the glory of beating Americas B-team. You sir, talk a very confident talk but deep inside you arf hoping to see a complacent U.S where are top guys make excuse after excuse not to play in 08' so your little team can have a chance yall dont wanna see U.S in full force with a chip on their collective shoulders.

And no! nobody does stand a chance against our A-team nobody so yeah they pretty much may as well hand us our medals back b/c the crushing defeat we deliver in 08' will set the world back 10 years and end the European rennisance of basketball... its already fading as we speak most euro players make for only good additions to good teams trying to get better b/c they come at acheaper price than U.S born players... since euro players have been in the league only a handfull have made a real impact... DRAZEN was special along with Divac,Manu,Dirk,Nash,Manu,and maybe 2-3 others allthe rest=BUMS

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 11:17 AM
You tools gotta realize that the US is about 10 Argentinas, population wise...

You also have to realize that in the US, almost everyone plays basketball, it's one of the favorite sports. So a big percentage of the US plays basketball. In Argentina, basketball is still behind soccer, rugby, tennis, etc. Barely anyone plays basketball in Argentina other than in Bahia Blanca...but that's about the only place in the whole country where a good percentage of people play basketball.

That being said, Argentina is a hell of a good team. If basketball where the favorite sport in Argentina, they would be caught up with the US.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 11:25 AM
In case if you haven't noticed, AI has started a bunch of All-Star games, and he would deffinatly play a lot if your "grade a" guys were available...How more fucking greedy can you get??? Wade, AI, Duncan....they aren't "grade a" ????

You sure???

U KNOW THAT IF OUR BEST SQUAD WAS OUT THERE THOSE OTHER TEAMS WOULDNT STAND A CHANCE AGAINST US... ITS JUST A FACT FACE IT[/B]
How the fuck is that a fact?? It can't be proven until 2008.

[QUOTE=ICE3000]AS A MATTER OF FACT I SAY ARGENTINA WON BY DEFFAULT B/C OUR A-TEAM WASNT INTERESTED IN SPENDING THE SUMMER SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS FOR PLAYERS THEY JUST BEAT BY 20+POINTS... LIKE I SAID ARGENTINA BEAT THE J.V VERSION OF TEAM USA YOU KNOW IT... I KNOW IT... THE WORLD KNOWS IT!!!
:lol :lol :lol

OK, you wanna talk talent wise?

If AI, Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Amare Stoudemire, and Dwayne Wade (2 MVP's, 5 all-stars) are JV...

...Then Manu, Delfino, Nocioni, Oberto, Wolkowyski, and Sanchez are 3rd grade intramural league, talent wise....

I have come to the conclusion that you are one dumb fuck.

strangeweather
07-10-2005, 12:48 PM
I actually disagree. Shaq would fouled out in 5 minutes using international rules. There is no natural PG in that team, and that starting 5 would be exposed to fast PGs and SGs.

It is really sad that after so many failures people here still think that a collection of star players is enough to win. How many times a TEAM has to beat USA Basketball so people realize that you need teamplayers with different roles and enough time training together?

Amazing!

Agreed. I would like to see a team more like:

PG: Bibby or Daniels
SG: Redd or Allen
SF: T-Mac or Kobe
PF: Marion or Troy Murphy
C: Garnett or Camby

A team like that would give you some ability to penetrate and work inside, but more importantly, every guy in that lineup can shoot, which is vital in international play. You have a solid setup man at the point, a gifted pure shooter at the 2, an athletic swingman who can score inside or out at the 3, a good rebounder with some range to space the floor at the 4, and an athletic 7 foot shot blocker who can score inside as well as hit the midrange jumper at the 5.

Give a team like this a couple of summers together and it could definitely play the international game really well.

Carlos869
07-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Tmac ......
KG ......
Shaq.....

JaJaJaJaJaJa...................................... ...

FoxMulder
07-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Agreed. I would like to see a team more like:

PG: Bibby or Daniels
SG: Redd or Allen
SF: T-Mac or Kobe
PF: Marion or Troy Murphy
C: Garnett or Camby

A team like that would give you some ability to penetrate and work inside, but more importantly, every guy in that lineup can shoot, which is vital in international play. You have a solid setup man at the point, a gifted pure shooter at the 2, an athletic swingman who can score inside or out at the 3, a good rebounder with some range to space the floor at the 4, and an athletic 7 foot shot blocker who can score inside as well as hit the midrange jumper at the 5.

Give a team like this a couple of summers together and it could definitely play the international game really well.

Peace to all men in the world!!!

Iīve seen th thread is turning into the Olimpycs, ok, nothing bad with this.

I like that team for USA, but we must add than they must have chemistry. And wanted to play....

being reallistic, USA didnīt send their best players last summer to Athens, also their best players didnīt want to play
...$ecurity reasons they said (ask Allen, VC, KG and Tmac).
Kobe was in big trouble (injuries and trials) and Shaq... well, I donīt know

No national feelings, no national pride?

Also they must have time for work and know the FIBA rules,
all of them were playing with new rules (not much, but key rules than never applies in NBA games) like steps in travelling or flying (just 2 steps LEBRON!!) and systems like Zone (Argentina used with USA ask Tim Duncan)

Is not a matter of names. You need a good team, time to work and know the rules and their role (no time for egos anyone must take and accept his role... hmmm! that's a big question to Kobe and Shaq ) and over all that stuff... good chemistry and NATIONAL PRIDE

Argentinian and Euro players played for far less money than they did in their pro - teams.

Dude, the Argentinian TEAM just get 2000 u$ each one after winning the gold medal!!!
and there was a doubt about Ginobiliplaying in Athens because they couldnīt affort the Injuries-Secure for SA!!
Magnano (coach) didnīt want to re-sign because he was paid in 2000 pesos (600 u$) per month!!!

They just played for the Country pride... if team USA can do this then they are the best.

E. G: Serbia is better in talent than Argentina, but some of them didnīt want to play (Vlade, and Peja) and the others were worried about their minutes on the court. They were 8th...

After Athens 2004 (and 2004 Finals... remember LA against Detroit?) we must said than not only talented players with a good coach win ... a good team does...
Now you must PROVE than your team is better...

(Again sorry about my poor English)

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 11:12 AM
No national feelings, no national pride?

American basketball players grew up dreaming of playing in the NBA, not playing for their country. I imagine that if you asked them, the vast majority of American players would rather win an NBA title in their careers than an Olympic medal.

A lot of that just comes from the fact that Americans were so dominant for so many decades in Olympic basketball that it wasn't considered as major an accomplishment. And some of it from the fact that the NBA has always been the place where you face the highest level of competition in basketball.

Obviously, that's changed now. And as everyone finally realizes it, I imagine there will be a lot more guys who want to play for the American team and are willing to make sacrifices to do so. There will still be guys who would rather sit out the Olympics to concentrate on the games they get paid to play in, but we don't need those guys -- we need the guys who are willing to fight and play hard.

WalterBenitez
07-11-2005, 11:56 AM
American basketball players grew up dreaming of playing in the NBA, not playing for their country. I imagine that if you asked them, the vast majority of American players would rather win an NBA title in their careers than an Olympic medal.

I think you are right in term of idealization (if this word exists :lol); when your domestic competition is the big one, you trend to consider that the sky is there; which is right in terms of bball.

The rest of the world (At least in South America) we consider the World Cup and Olimpycs as THE EVENTS, so we priorise these competitions.

Which everybody should consider is that USA BBALL no longer could guaranteed Gold Medal if they dont change the axis of their team ... they do not need 12 Star or SuperStar or Galatic ... they need:

1) A team

2) Practice ... no two weeks, at least a month (under FIBA's rule)

3) Forget about "Star treatment" when you got a bad refs in FIBA they are horrible for both team :lol

PS: I respect the honor and the heart that TIM and AI put in Olimpyc, I remember AI with red eyes when USA Flag was raised ... that look deserves a MEDAL, because he was proud of being there, no matter of what colour was his medal.

waly.mg
07-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Ray Allen is an All Star, but i donīt see him last weekend in Connecticut

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 12:59 PM
they need:

1) A team

2) Practice ... no two weeks, at least a month (under FIBA's rule)

3) Forget about "Star treatment" when you got a bad refs in FIBA they are horrible for both team :lol

Amen. Also:

4) Continuity. Try to get a coaching staff willing to make a longer-term commitment to the national team so that we have a consistent game plan, and try to get players who are willing to sign up for longer runs barring injury.

The 2-year plan we had in '03-'04 was a step in the right direction, but it was a flawed plan, and it didn't go far enough.

WalterBenitez
07-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Amen. Also:

4) Continuity. Try to get a coaching staff willing to make a longer-term commitment to the national team so that we have a consistent game plan, and try to get players who are willing to sign up for longer runs barring injury.

The 2-year plan we had in '03-'04 was a step in the right direction, but it was a flawed plan, and it didn't go far enough.

Sure, I forgot Continuity that gives coherence and preparation, you are right.

Athenea
07-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Argentina still only beat J.V :lol ... the world hasnt seen a team that really gave a damn about the Olympics since 92' I think this loss will the U.S something to prove and a reason for our top guys to take off there summer... remember our guys care more about money and nba rings and then Olympic gold in that order... but for now I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens and let have the glory of beating Americas B-team. You sir, talk a very confident talk but deep inside you arf hoping to see a complacent U.S where are top guys make excuse after excuse not to play in 08' so your little team can have a chance yall dont wanna see U.S in full force with a chip on their collective shoulders. :drunk
BINGO!!!! When asked about his priorities, Manu answered:
1-TITLES
2-GLORY
3-MONEY
Multiply that for 12, and u have the reason why Argentina won.
note: our Olympic NT (no matter the names) was a step back from our Indy NT back in 2002.

DRAZEN was special along with Divac,Manu,Dirk,Nash,Manu,and maybe 2-3 others allthe rest=BUMS
OK...I'll take 2 Manus in the NT and the Spurs :fro