PDA

View Full Version : Hack-a-Howard Strategy

Dunc n Dave
04-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Here's an ESPN article on Howard and D'Antoni and how much they expect the SPurs to use Hack-A-Howard. I think Pop employs it more in L.A. than he does in San Antonio to take the crowd out of it.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Dwight Howard expects San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to parade him to the foul line when the Los Angeles Lakers open up their playoff series with Game 1 on Sunday, and it doesn't faze him one bit.

"If they want to do that the whole series, God bless them," Howard said when asked about the Spurs using a "Hack-a-Howard" strategy on Friday. "There's nothing I can do about it but go up there and shoot the free throws. Even if I make them, they're still going to do it. So, that's not my concern. My concern is what I can control on the defensive end and then on the offensive end, just dominate. If they foul me, they foul me. We're going to make them pay."

Howard went 8-for-17 from the line in the Lakers' 91-86 win over the Spurs last week.

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni has experience with Popovich using the "Hack-a-Whomever" scheme before. When D'Antoni's Phoenix Suns lost to the Spurs 4-1 in the first round in 2008, Shaquille O'Neal was repeatedly fouled and went 32-for-64 (50 percent) from the line in the five games.

"I'm sure they'll try it," D'Antoni said. "We worked on Dwight being evasive out there today so they couldn't catch him.

"But we'll just deal with it. He's going to make shots and he'll make his foul shots."

Rest of the story here:
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9191808/2013-nba-playoffs-dwight-howard-los-angeles-lakers-expects-san-antonio-spurs-employ-hack-howard

weebo
04-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Here's an ESPN article on Howard and D'Antoni and how much they expect the SPurs to use Hack-A-Howard. I think Pop employs it more in L.A. than he does in San Antonio to take the crowd out of it.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Dwight Howard expects San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to parade him to the foul line when the Los Angeles Lakers open up their playoff series with Game 1 on Sunday, and it doesn't faze him one bit.

"If they want to do that the whole series, God bless them," Howard said when asked about the Spurs using a "Hack-a-Howard" strategy on Friday. "There's nothing I can do about it but go up there and shoot the free throws. Even if I make them, they're still going to do it. So, that's not my concern. My concern is what I can control on the defensive end and then on the offensive end, just dominate. If they foul me, they foul me. We're going to make them pay."

Howard went 8-for-17 from the line in the Lakers' 91-86 win over the Spurs last week.

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni has experience with Popovich using the "Hack-a-Whomever" scheme before. When D'Antoni's Phoenix Suns lost to the Spurs 4-1 in the first round in 2008, Shaquille O'Neal was repeatedly fouled and went 32-for-64 (50 percent) from the line in the five games.

"I'm sure they'll try it," D'Antoni said. "We worked on Dwight being evasive out there today so they couldn't catch him.

"But we'll just deal with it. He's going to make shots and he'll make his foul shots."

Rest of the story here:
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9191808/2013-nba-playoffs-dwight-howard-los-angeles-lakers-expects-san-antonio-spurs-employ-hack-howard

Howerd has sucked at free throw shooting his entire career and nothing he or D'antoni say now will change that.

exstatic
04-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Count on it any time the LAL are in the bonus.

Proxy
04-20-2013, 08:33 PM
:cry but it's not entertaining

Libri
04-20-2013, 08:35 PM

:lol

Arcadian
04-20-2013, 08:41 PM
The Spurs should foul Howard when they are winning. As Jeff van Gundy pointed out, this is the optimal way to do it, as it completely takes away the 3-pointer from the other team (which is the best way to erase a deficit).

Chinook
04-20-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm just imagining Howard and Bonner playing tag while the other eight players are running normal sets. I didn't think D'Antoni could come up with a stupider gameplan that the mess he usually throws together, but he has now.

Proxy
04-20-2013, 09:08 PM
"Dwight! Hey Dwight! Stop practicing free throws and let me teach you something about hide-and-seek!"

sananspursfan21
04-20-2013, 09:20 PM
"We worked on Dwight being evasive out there today so they couldn't catch him.

Soooooo....they played tag instead of practicing. bodes well for SA :hat

chapnis
04-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Can't tell if D'Antoni is trying to make a funny or if he actually had Dwight running around.

Darius Bieber
04-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Anyone who is against this strategy is really ignorant. This strategy is brilliant. If you don't like it, practice your free throws. You get paid multi-millions of dollars, you should be able to sink uncontested shots.

Austin_Toros
04-20-2013, 10:00 PM
D'Antoni should be more concerned with why an elite NBA player hasn't improved in his weakest part of his game. This wouldn't be an issue if Dwight Howard could hit free throws.

SupremeGuy
04-21-2013, 12:06 AM
It's great strategy. I'd do it whenever it's appropriate.

100%duncan
04-21-2013, 12:32 AM
How could they not "catch" him. :lmao D'Antoni Failure forever

jimbo
04-21-2013, 01:32 AM
How could they not "catch" him. :lmao D'Antoni Failure forever

Do you think you could catch an NBA athlete? :lmao

If bonner/blair/banes are doing it, he's not getting caught. Cojo could get him. Nando maybe.

"Dwight! Hey Dwight! Stop practicing free throws and let me teach you something about hide-and-seek!"

Because his problem is in his form, right? :rolleyes

milkyway21
04-21-2013, 01:41 AM
D' Antoni's Phoenix Suns lost TWICE already to Popovich, in 2005 (Duncan dominating) & 2007(Suns with home court adv)...it would be so awesome if he'll (as Laker coach), lose again his year...ODD YEAR, we might get lucky again :D

after that controversial Horry foul on Nash, Manu & Nash nose injuiries, that Diaw/Amare' suspension I wonder what will be the next court drama this year... :rolleyes

just stay healthy Spurs :flag:

100%duncan
04-21-2013, 01:41 AM

If bonner/blair/banes are doing it, he's not getting caught. Cojo could get him. Nando maybe.

Because his problem is in his form, right? :rolleyes

Wow. You are dumb if you took that literally.

jimbo
04-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Wow. You are dumb if you took that literally.

:cry

I'm from AMERICA. We speak ENGLISH

100%duncan
04-21-2013, 01:53 AM
:cry

I'm from AMERICA. We speak ENGLISH

Yes but speaking is different from understanding. And what a pity I'm better than you in speaking your mother tongue. :cry

jimbo
04-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Yes but speaking is different from understanding. And what a pity I'm better than you in speaking your mother tongue. :cry

Bro, you don't wanna know where your mother's tongue has been. :hat

D12
04-21-2013, 02:19 AM
Do it. I dare you.

D12 will knock em down because they actually count.

Brunodf
04-21-2013, 02:26 AM
D' Antoni's Phoenix Suns lost TWICE already to Popovich, in 2005 (Duncan dominating) & 2007(Suns with home court adv)...it would be so awesome if he'll (as Laker coach), lose again his year...ODD YEAR, we might get lucky again :D

2008 too

Plumblbw
04-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Can't tell if D'Antoni is trying to make a funny or if he actually had Dwight running around.

Yeah, he's definitely taking the p155 mate. I thought it was really funny.

100%duncan
04-21-2013, 02:30 AM
Bro, you don't wanna know where your mother's tongue has been. :hat

Comebacks have become so boring these days that I don't really want to wait for your reply tbh.

LkrFan
04-21-2013, 04:25 AM
Why do the Spurs need to employ the Hack-a-Howard strategy - with a 2013 DPOY candidate on your roster - who just so happens to play the same position as Howard? Larry Brown never did it to Shaq when he had Mt Mutombo. ;)

ThaBigFundamental21
04-21-2013, 04:45 AM
Why do the Spurs need to employ the Hack-a-Howard strategy - with a 2013 DPOY candidate on your roster - who just so happens to play the same position as Howard? Larry Brown never did it to Shaq when he had Mt Mutombo. ;)

You sound worried. Also, what was the outcome of that series? Fakeshow won in 5. The Spurs plan on winning this series. Perhaps Brown should have hacked Shaq.

LkrFan
04-21-2013, 05:19 AM
You sound worried. Also, what was the outcome of that series? Fakeshow won in 5. The Spurs plan on winning this series. Perhaps Brown should have hacked Shaq.
Not worried in the least. This strategy is cowardly at best. It tells your bigs (especially TD) that Pop don't think Howard can be guarded. It's worst than telling your team to play zone. It's weak.

Nero5
04-21-2013, 05:34 AM
it's smart, not weak. It's not good basketball, nor enjoyable basketball, but it is a strategy to use with the resources you have.

baseline bum
04-21-2013, 05:35 AM

Why? is Bible Kemp going to run up in the stands and hide in the bathroom or something?

Legacy
04-21-2013, 07:00 AM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/6738799/airdwight.0_standard_709.0.gif

rmt
04-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Not worried in the least. This strategy is cowardly at best. It tells your bigs (especially TD) that Pop don't think Howard can be guarded. It's worst than telling your team to play zone. It's weak.

Spurs don't get points for being brave/manly. You win by being smart (playing within the rules). It's beyond me why a top tier player shoots below 50% (not for a physical reason like Shaq's wrist). DH needs to MAN UP and practise/improve those free-throws.

As soon as LAL is in the bonus (except the 4th quarter), send in Baynes (rest for TD/TS), hack-a-Dwight and use up those fouls. Force him to make free throws and don't give a damn if the game goes half hour longer. Fouling DH also takes away the 3pter from LAL.

widowmaker
04-21-2013, 07:45 AM
If it has nothing to do with the paint, Dwight Howard does not have basketball skills.

Old School 44
04-21-2013, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if LA jacks up threes when the Spurs start intentionally fouling off the ball.
IF Blake shoots a three, when Howard gets fouled, what's the rule on that? Is there continuation? Who shoots the free throws?

exstatic
04-21-2013, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if LA jacks up threes when the Spurs start intentionally fouling off the ball.
IF Blake shoots a three, when Howard gets fouled, what's the rule on that? Is there continuation? Who shoots the free throws?

The foul would have to be while the three ball is in the air. You can't get a continuation off the ball. If they start jacking shots to try to time it, you fake the foul and let them shoot the ridiculous 30-35 footer, and crash the D boards. That's probably better than fouling Howard.

ThaBigFundamental21
04-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Who are you trying to convince? You can spout out at the mouth here, but I can assure you Pop is going to coach as he always coaches. If you cannot shoot FT's it is a weakness, and it will be exploited. BTW, Pop isn't telling Tim anything. Hacking Howard not only forces Howard to man up and make FT's, it disrupts the Lakers flow of the game and frustrates them all. Tim and Howard will go at it all series. The Lakers will probably lose. You know that, we know that, the world knows that.