PDA

View Full Version : Spurs still ecstatic: SI commemorative issue

theinstitute
07-08-2005, 06:19 PM
This is exactly why they are my favorite team...already thinking about next year. And, damn! I missed out on those phones...

http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume4/2005-0706-spurs.html

Spurs Still Ecstatic Over Achieving a ‘Sports Illustrated’ Commemorative Issue

It’s been nearly two weeks since the NBA Finals concluded, but members of the San Antonio Spurs organization are still on cloud nine.

“Every day I wake up it gets better and better,” said center Tim Duncan, who said he pages through the publication each day as a way to remember the historic season. “I can’t believe it – our very own ‘Sports Illustrated’ commemorative issue. It doesn’t get better than that.”

“The knowledge that people are out there, ordering the Spurs Championship Package and saving 60-percent off of SI’s cover price is surreal to me,” said guard Manu Ginobili. “The fact that what we did on the court is getting people those kinds of savings makes it all worth it.”

While the Spurs also achieved hardbound ‘Sports Illustrated’ commemorative issues in 1999 and 2003, Duncan and head coach Gregg Popovich said this season’s is the best yet.

“The new Spurs Championship Package from SI includes not only the hardbound commemorative issue with stories pulled from the award-winning pages of SI, in addition to original content, but it also comes with a hat and a DVD,” said Duncan. “Our last titles didn’t come with a DVD, so I’m ecstatic about that.”

Popovich is also pumped about the hat and DVD, but what he is really excited about is what the Spurs Championship Package doesn’t come with.

“The first two, instead of the hat and DVD, came with a ‘Sports Illustrated’ Spurs basketball phone,” said the coach. “I was afraid this one would be the same and I’d be up to my ears in freaking basketball phones. Luckily though, that’s not the case.”

But as true ‘Sports Illusrated’ commemorative issue subjects are prone to do, the Spurs are already looking forward to getting their fourth edition next year.

“I’m going to read through it a few more times, and then I’m going to set aside and set to work on getting another one,” said Duncan. “What keeps me motivated is always wondering if somewhere, there’s someone out there working harder than me to get their own ‘Sports Illustrated’ commemorative issue.”

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-08-2005, 06:31 PM
:lol

TheTruth
07-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Damn SI couldn't have given them some less obvious quotes to promote the mag?

ZStomp
07-09-2005, 03:51 PM
My question is, why is there an advertisement for marijuana right in the middle of the story. :lol

Kori Ellis
07-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Because it's a fake story - it's a joke site.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Just checking, you guys do know this site is satiric in nature, right? meaning none of it is true

Dex
07-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Narf. :shootme

ZStomp
07-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Never heard of that site.

Sorry.

Timoha
07-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Wow, that's one blatnet advertisment. :lol

Where's the marijuana ad? I was looking for it. :depressed

polandprzem
07-09-2005, 04:03 PM
That's a great site.
i remeber one of the girls from that forum posted something about boring Finals and Lockout just after 3 games.

spurschick
07-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I actually posted this story the other day, but put "satire" in the title so that people would know it was a joke.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21257

Sense
07-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Yep... ^ she wins.

polandprzem
07-09-2005, 04:23 PM
YES! That was a spurschick :)