PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Lakers - Round 1, Game 1

timvp
04-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Tim Duncan B+
He was great in the first half. Got the Spurs going. D strong throughout. O fizzled in the second half.

Manu Ginobili A
Wow. Nothing much was expected but Ginobili was able to shatter expectations. Moved well; hit key shots.

Tony Parker B+
Struggled to score even though L.A. didn't help much but played hard in all facets. Passing was a plus.

Kawhi Leonard B
Predictably, had trouble scoring in halfcourt sets. But he defended, rebounded and ran with purpose.

Danny Green B-
Shot adequately well. Had a few good moments on defense. Better than usual on the boards.

Tiago Splitter D+
Passed well and post D was decent. But he was too flop-happy and soft. That doesn’t work in the playoffs.

Matt Bonner A-
Encouraging start. D was iffy but he fouled smartly and boarded well. Made L.A. account for him on O.

Gary Neal C-
Too much chucking. Not enough defense. Picked his spots poorly in all areas

Cory Joseph A
I'm thrilled with his play. He went HARD with no hesitation. Kept his eyes open and certainly made an impact.

DeJuan Blair Inc.
Had an important cameo in the second half and actually had a few positive plays.

Aron Baynes Inc.
Bear hug was a quality Hack-a-Howard tactic.

Nando De Colo Inc.
Got a haircut before the game. Hit two free throws during the game.

Pop B+
Other than odd usage of Hack-a-Howard, I really liked his decisions. Going with Joseph and Bonner paid off.

TheGoldStandard
04-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Love the effort today, everyone came out to play and stepped up when they needed. Parker still trying to find rhythm but Manu was a surprise.. Wow, Playoffs bring out the best in everyone.

Cry Havoc
04-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Agreed with all of these for the most part. I thought Parker was just a couple of rolls away from shooting 50%. Hope he'll get healthier as the playoffs move forward.

Stabula
04-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Splitter reminded me of a freshly fucked vagina.

Cry Havoc
04-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh, and the play of the game was Kawhi blocking that three and then outleting for the easy 2 on the other end. Total momentum killer.

HI-FI
04-21-2013, 05:35 PM
great stuff.

no complaints from me, other than disappointed in Tiago, so hope he gets ferocious again.

Real happy to see Bonner step up in what is an extremely important game. also, real happy to see what CoJo did out there. Pop made a great decision, and I'm a fan of both CoJo and Nando, but CoJo is quicker and more tenacious on D.

Hope Parker continues to get healthy, some moments from him I didn't like but he also made some great shots and passes. No real complaints.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-21-2013, 05:39 PM
lovin what CoJo brought. No hesitation on the jumper, timely passing. Did what a good backup pg is supposed to do.

will_spurs
04-21-2013, 05:39 PM
I thought Parker played smart with good passing. 38% shooting isn't going to cut it, though.

Credit where credit is due, Bonner played well, he actually played like a big. That left-handed hook shot over Gasol was nice, and certainly something the Lakers had to adjust for as I think they must have been as surprised as everybody else (including Bonner himself!)

Kawhi's steal on the 3-pointer + the lay-up in transition was indeed nice. JVG pointed out he "understood why Pop loves this kid so much". The other play I thought really killed the Lakers' momentum was Manu's 3 (the second) out of nowhere. It looked a lot like the type of bad shot Neal would take, except it went in.

This being said I'd be surprised if we see the same kind of sloppy play (on both sides) again. It definitely wasn't pretty, too many botched open shots.

EVAY
04-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Duncan's scoring was down to 40 % due to struggles in the second half; Parker's was up to 38% due to improvement in the second half. But Parker added 8 assists and 3 steals with only 2 turnovers. Ginobili was clearly the spark that made all the difference in this game. He was superb. Just superb. I am so glad that we have another three days off before they have to play again. Just great to see that of our big three, two can have only 1/2 game terrific per person (Duncan and Parker), but if one (Ginobili) can make it great for the whole game, we can come through.

Bonner was such a delightful surprise.

I feel better about this series now than I did before this game. I expected more from the Lakers than we saw, and I believe that all the spurs played as hard as they knew how to play...except for maybe Splitter. We gotta figure something out for him.

Referees are truly a problem, and they will give one or two to the Lakers in L.A., but we can beat this team. Sooner than later is better.

mercos
04-21-2013, 05:40 PM
As long as someone steps up big beside Duncan (who is automatic), the Spurs should easily dispatch the Lakers. I thought that person was going to have to be Tony Parker. Shame on me for counting out Manu. Parker's issues, be it injury or fear of attacking an elite shot blocker, are worrisome going forward, but won't impact this series if Manu keeps playing well.

Namundy
04-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Cojo's pressure and effort really helped tonight. Kawhi's rebounding effort made up for his lack of offense. Splitter needs to take his tampon out. Ginobili brought that X-factor we needed.

hater
04-21-2013, 05:43 PM
TD, Manu, Bonner were the MVPs IMO

Mugen
04-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Cory Motherfucking Joseph.

BillMc
04-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Shooting % for Parker was low, but I thought he looked a lot quicker than he has. So, actually I'm encouraged.

Warlord23
04-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Good win, but Parker's health remains a massive concern. This is by far the worst backcourt in the playoffs (Nash/Blake/Meeks), and Tony wasn't able to consistently beat his defender. Don't get me wrong, he played a magnificent game given his condition - made excellent passes, protected the ball well, picked his spots to attack etc. However, the TP from mid-season would have gone for 30/10 on 60%+ shooting against these Laker guards who have neither speed nor size.

Parker needs to recover significantly if he's going to take on the likes of Westbrook/Sefolosha. Even the Nuggets have a variety of personnel (Lawson, Chandler, Brewer, Iguodala) that can check a slowed-down Parker.

pgardn
04-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Joseph is faster than Parker right now.

Parker gets an A for playing smart, and an F for his current physical form.

I guess I expected the mid season blur to show he was just resting. I smell fish. Rotting fish.

dunkman
04-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Manu was incredible, Duncan played well too.

Stabula
04-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Let Parker retire and hand the keys over to Mills

letmk
04-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Even since the second-to-last game against OKC, Splitter hasn't played that well (or even bad sometimes). Against the Lakers, it might be okay as they are playing Howard-Gasol anyways and Splitter is okay on defense.

But against OKC (assuming the Spurs can go that far), he has to play well to limit their usage of small lineups with Durant at 4.

And Tony still needs to get back to his All-NBA level play to give Spurs even a chance against Nuggets as they have two very capable PGs in Lawson and Miller.

Very pleased with CoJo's play. He played with purpose and was not hesitant at all. And he put the pressure on offense all the time.

Last, even Manu can stay healthy and play like this, we have a decent chance to displace OKC in the West. Thought against the Heat, until proven otherwise, LeBron and his pals are still heavy favorite.

But as promising as it looks, it's just one game. A playoff series doesn't (truly) start until someone wins a road game.

angelbelow
04-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Disappointed with Kawhi, but I had high expectations for him.

Bonner was great, didn't look like a midget and gave great effort. Matt is shooting his highest percentage from 3 point land ever in April and I hope he maintains it through out the playoffs.

Joseph played with a lot of poise. His two FGs were confident looking shots and came at opportune moments.

Watching Ginobili work his magic late in the 3rd was incredible. Right when the Lakers gained some momentum and the Spurs were having one of their offensive droughts, Manu goes on an 8-0 run.

Fabbs
04-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Oh, and the play of the game was Kawhi blocking that three and then outleting for the easy 2 on the other end. Total momentum killer.
Yep. A bit later he was ahead of Apeman for a "bomb" pass/alley oop, but Parker wouldn't let it fly.

Brunodf
04-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Cojo/Neal/Green/Bonner/KL too high

Splitter too low

boutons_deux
04-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Spurs shot 38%, ain't getting past 2nd round like that.

spurspokesman
04-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Splitter reminded me of a freshly fucked vagina. lol

TheyCallMePro
04-21-2013, 06:11 PM
We played an average game. The Lakers just sucked today. If I was grading them, I'd give them all F's. Love Joseph, I was so happy he got the start at back-up pg instead of De Colo.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
04-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Cojo earned more minutes. Especially with Parker still a bit gimpy.

I liked that Pop seemed to finally call a play for Kawhi in the end of the 4th quarter. It caught Peace by surprise I thought. I know that Kawhi is somewhat intimidated by Peace but getting him more involved in the game through playcalling could spark his confidence.

Samr.
04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
I gotta admit I'm probably the last guy to notice anyone's performance on D, even TD's, but tonight Cojo was an absolute HOUND on that end!! It wasn't until late in the season that he actually started to see rotation minutes, and for his first playoff game, he impressed me as a rotation guy for years to come.

I know everyone's scared of the B-label jinx around here, but damn, Cojo's trying his hardest to imitate.

wildbill2u
04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
does Green actually know he's supposed to play while he's on the court? He's on his way to another disappearence in the playoffs IMO. When you've been one of the best 3pt shooters all year, you can't get intimidated by the playoffs.

He earned no more than a C-. You have to expect more from a starter than he gave today.

EVAY
04-21-2013, 06:26 PM

did you find a place to watch the game?

ironman2886
04-21-2013, 06:26 PM
You guys think Pop would have started Diaw in the series if he was healthy?

Brazil
04-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Considering expectations bonner is a triple A

GrandeDavid
04-21-2013, 06:37 PM
No way Parker was better than a C. Missed took my shots and unspectacular all around. But, on a positive note, he looks improved over recent outings.

TD 21
04-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Tony Parker B+
Struggled to score even though L.A. didn't help much but played hard in all facets. Passing was a plus.

Generous, to say the least.

I'd have been more surprised if he looked physically right than if he didn't, but still, it's alarming that he couldn't consistently beat Blake off the dribble and that he had so much trouble finishing at the rim despite their length not heavily influencing many of his attempts. The Lakers offense is so impotent and the Spurs defense stout enough that it's probably not going to matter. But if he doesn't start looking like himself sooner than later, they're gone in the 2nd round.

Pop B+
Other than odd usage of Hack-a-Howard, I really liked his decisions. Going with Joseph and Bonner paid off.

Going with Bonner was both predictable and a no brainer, as Blair has no use or value in this match-up. Going with Joseph was legitimately surprising and open for debate. I personally would have went with Neal and just played eight (and when he's comfortable giving Ginobili closer to 30 mpg, this is probably what it'll come to), but I see the logic of going with Joseph and can't complain with the result.

Bill_Brasky
04-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Bonner actually giving great minutes was the difference, imo

hooperflash
04-21-2013, 06:43 PM
soft layup attempts from Tiago had me http://i29.tinypic.com/2zipl5u.gif-ing .

DarrinS
04-21-2013, 06:43 PM

:lmao

racm
04-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Positives:

TD playing at 80% and still putting up 17 and 10. Consistency.
As Chuck says, GI-NO-BILI! Manu's been at his best since the Detroit game.
Bonner's addition of a hook to his arsenal means that he's not a playoff liability at the least.
18 turnovers forced. If the Spurs can't outshoot their opposition, they better make them have zero-point possessions.
3-15 3 pointers allowed. The three point defense has been slipping as of late.

Negatives:

Wow, Tony. Get well soon; we'll need you at tiptop shape for round 2.
Tiago's playing like he goes for the contact rather than the finish. Dude, you're not on the Thunder.
Expected more from Kawhi but 11 boards is gravy.

EricB
04-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Racm. You want them to shoot threes....

wtgspurs
04-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Kawhi Leonard's presence on defense was very effective. He forced a lot of turnovers, and if it wasn't for him this would have been a tight game.

racm
04-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Racm. You want them to shoot threes....

I like the Lakers shooting a lot of threes but not actually MAKING them, you know?

3-15 is a great start.

Chinook
04-21-2013, 07:06 PM
If Bonner continues to play well, the Spurs' ceiling is significantly higher. Seriously, even when Diaw comes back, a mentally tough Bonner is a great asset to have against Ibaka, Gasol and Faried.

Green looked lost until his last few minutes. His energy at the end reminded me of last season.

Ginobili looking good is indescribably awesome. A three-wing rotation may be the best way to go.

Joseph's energy may help him keep the back-up point job. I still think Neal may get it back, though.

Splitter may not have a good game this series, but I hope that is not the case. Not having Diaw puts a lot of pressure on Duncan.

MWP on Leonard worries me. The Spurs need to win that match-up.

racm
04-21-2013, 07:09 PM
If Bonner continues to play well, the Spurs' ceiling is significantly higher. Seriously, even when Diaw comes back, a mentally tough Bonner is a great asset to have against Ibaka, Gasol and Faried.

Green looked lost until his last few minutes. His energy at the end reminded me of last season.

Ginobili looking good is indescribably awesome. A three-wing rotation may be the best way to go.

Joseph's energy may help him keep the back-up point job. I still think Neal may get it back, though.

Splitter may not have a good game this series, but I hope that is not the case. Not having Diaw puts a lot of pressure on Duncan.

MWP on Leonard worries me. The Spurs need to win that match-up.

Maybe it's just me but his running hook has opened up his game and given him confidence.

MaNu4Tres
04-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Generous, to say the least.

I'd have been more surprised if he looked physically right than if he didn't, but still, it's alarming that he couldn't consistently beat Blake off the dribble and that he had so much trouble finishing at the rim despite their length not heavily influencing many of his attempts. The Lakers offense is so impotent and the Spurs defense stout enough that it's probably not going to matter. But if he doesn't start looking like himself sooner than later, they're gone in the 2nd round.

Couldn't agree more.

Chinook
04-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Maybe it's just me but his running hook has opened up his game and given him confidence.

Yeah, I can see that. It makes players more hesitant to close out on him. When he's being guarded by immobile players, that pretty much leaves him open.

Mugen
04-21-2013, 07:24 PM

He had that hook last year too tbh. He's always had a decent counter but he's just flat out choked in the past.

Happy he had a good game today.

superbigtime
04-21-2013, 07:38 PM
The game was ugly and boring. I'll gladly take the win.

BackHome
04-21-2013, 08:06 PM
To go farther we are going to need some other players to be able to put up some points. I am really hoping that Pop gives TMac some time just to see what he can do for us.

Budkin
04-21-2013, 08:08 PM

Totally. I had a feeling that one was going in.

Budkin
04-21-2013, 08:12 PM
To go farther we are going to need some other players to be able to put up some points. I am really hoping that Pop gives TMac some time just to see what he can do for us.

Seeing him in a suit makes me think he won't be playing in the first round, if at all.

EricB
04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
I like the Lakers shooting a lot of threes but not actually MAKING them, you know?

3-15 is a great start.

You have that on the negative side though...

HarlemHeat37
04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
- Parker looked physically horrible, he didn't blow by Blake even once, tbh..Blake had 3 or 4 clean strips against him, too, tbh, and he blocked him from behind..a healthy Parker would have blown by Blake at will, tbh..

I'm very concerned about Parker..

- Ginobili looked great, his shot was on..he was hesitant to create a shot at first, but it seems like his confidence grew as the game progressed..

- I didn't have a problem with Neal's shot selection..there wasn't anything unusual about his performance tonight, same old, you live with the good and the bad..

- Kawhi has no offensive chemistry with the team as a ball-handler, tbh..everybody looks lost when he has the ball, particularly the bigs.. I'm not expecting much from Leonard offensively against MWP, but it's even more unlikely considering the lack of chemistry..

He needs to start making his 3s again, though..

His defense was very good and he rebounded at a high level, though..

- I didn't have a problem with Green's offense, but he doesn't seem to be focused enough on D..he's getting lost too much and not going hard enough for loose balls, etc..

- Joseph played great basketball..I always shit on him, but he deserves credit today..I hope he doesn't lose his aggression like he did after his first few successful regular season starts..

siraulo23
04-21-2013, 08:43 PM
i guess that little window of hope that tp was faking/holding back for the playoffs is gone

something is wrong with him

DapDaGenius
04-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm surprised at Bonner showing up and playing good. Joseph was a surprise too. I hope they can keep it up and I hope Kawhi can improve on his offense(I'm sure he will), Tiago needs to actually make a FG shot and rebound a bit more. Neal and Green? Just shoot better.

EricB
04-21-2013, 09:22 PM
You guys think Pop would have started Diaw in the series if he was healthy?

No. He would've gotten Bonner's minutes however.

TheyCallMePro
04-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I don't trust Bonner. He's a huge liability on defense. He got away with it today, but he won't over the course of the series. And he's still gotta be wide open on those 3's or else he's useless offensively. By the way guys, why was T-Mac in street clothes? I wanna see him play!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Too harsh on Splitter - he battled D12 and Pau all night and should have gotten a few calls when D12 blatantly threw him. He also passed well and was unlucky a couple of his shots didn't fall. ST loves a whipping boy, and lately it's Splitter, IMHO unjustifiably. Check your heads.

Overall, not a pretty win, and still some concerns such as TP lacking explosiveness, but overall I think it's a step in the right direction. We just need to beat these guys in 5 or 6 and get some confidence and momentum going and you never know what can happen.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-21-2013, 10:23 PM

Yeah, I can see that. It makes players more hesitant to close out on him. When he's being guarded by immobile players, that pretty much leaves him open.

He had that hook last year too tbh. He's always had a decent counter but he's just flat out choked in the past.

Happy he had a good game today.

Actually, Bonner's had running hook/floater for 3 years now. It's a decent counter. Still, I'd rather have Boris in there.

100%duncan
04-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Agreed. Thanks LJ :toast

exstatic
04-21-2013, 10:40 PM

Spurs haven't had "the band" together since like February. There will be kinks.

z0sa
04-21-2013, 11:00 PM
If Game 1 is any indication, the Spurs couldn't have asked for a better first round opponent. By the end of the walloping we'll give the Lakers, our guys should be fairly healthy, gelling together and playing well.

spurs10
04-21-2013, 11:27 PM
If Game 1 is any indication, the Spurs couldn't have asked for a better first round opponent. By the end of the walloping we'll give the Lakers, our guys should be fairly healthy, gelling together and playing well.
Sounds about right. Manu is back and we are a greatly improved defensive team. Our bench out scorred them 40 to 10. It's good to be a Spurs fan!
:flag:

SenorSpur
04-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Manu Ginobili showed why his energy, passion and impact were missed. I wouldn't expect him to be able to conjure up a performance like this every game anymore, but it was sure nice to see - and I would love for him to prove me wrong.

Watching Tony Parker was really troublesome. His inability to finish in the lane and his overall sluggishness indicate that he's not yet 100%.

Is Danny Green starting his Matt Bonner-like swoon again? He only had 4 rebounds. I don't know if that warranted a B-grade, but if that's a good night for him, then ok.

The epitome of softness had to be what Jeff Van Gundy described as a Tiago Splitter's imitation of a Luis Scola-like scoop shot while backing Howard down in the lane. It was just awful. This guy could have so much more of an impact on the game if he would make a conscious effort to be more aggressive. Let's hope he gets the message in this series because, assuming the Spurs oust the Fakers, it will not fly going forward.

It's premature for anyone to have Matt Bonner Day in San Antonio, and I admit his mental toughness is still a question, but at least for one playoff game he finally showed some competency. However, let's wait until he has his first good road game and demonstrates some consistent shooting before we give him a "A"..

IMO, Cory Joseph was the surprise, "outta-nowhere" performance of the game. Could it be that Pop is flirting again with a new backup PG?

It's almost insulting to Aron Baynes for Pop to bring him in just to execute that Hack-A-Howard strategy. It would be great to see Baynes earn his fouls legitimately, while getting some real minutes - even if it's just a few.

I certainly didn't understand why Pop would employ that stinking "hacking" strategy after the game was already well in-hand.

Sean Cagney
04-22-2013, 12:00 AM
A- for Bonner???

How high were your expectations??

He gets an A+ and a subway card imhoYEP..........

Russo21
04-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Was TMAC on the bench in uniform?

Ice009
04-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Was TMAC on the bench in uniform?

He wasn't dressed in uniform. He was sitting next to Diaw.

Russo21
04-22-2013, 01:09 AM
He wasn't dressed in uniform. He was sitting next to Diaw.

Thanks :toast i was in meetings at work all day and missed the game. Suppose i have to wait for SportsCentre! I wasn't expecting him to get PT but would be nice to see him suit up and be ready to go.

SpurPadre
04-22-2013, 01:15 AM
I'm not getting why some here keep thinking Neal will eventually take full possession of the back-up PG spot as the playoffs move forward. The dude could chuck the team out of a game if Pop doesn't reign him in. As for Green, is he the new Bonner now? Fuck, Green, what's with the deer-in-headlghts act? Nut up, dude! Speaking of pussies, Tiago is also playing like Brittney Griner trying make the Mavericks roster after Cuban drafts her. But enough of the concerns, very encouraging game from Manu, Bonner, CoJo and another steady game from TD. I know alot of you are worried about TP but I think he'll get better. He doesn't have his speed back yet but he moved around better than he has in weeks. He can't keep making Blake look like Gary Payton, though.

ShoogarBear
04-22-2013, 01:45 AM
It was a satisfying, workmanlike effort, but nothing from this game shows that the Lakers are done yet.

If Manu plays like that every game, then yeah, sure. But not something to count on.

Parker and Nash were both out of synch; Parker shot considerably better in the 2nd half. I'm going to assume that Nash will get better as the series goes on, which means Parker has to as well.

The Spurs were fortunate to beat LA this game getting almost nothing from Splitter, but if that can't continue.

ElNono
04-22-2013, 01:48 AM
The Spurs were fortunate to beat LA this game getting almost nothing from Splitter, Neal and Green, but if that can't continue.

fify

Brunodf
04-22-2013, 01:57 AM
The Spurs were fortunate to beat LA this game getting almost nothing from Splitter,
Good D/passing/great screens/box out. I don't know why people are expecting Splitter to be a factor offensively vs Gasol/DH, the backcourt got the easy matchups in this series...

blkroadrunners
04-22-2013, 02:03 AM
Good D/passing/great screens/box out. I don't know why people are expecting Splitter to be a factor offensively vs Gasol/DH, the backcourt got the easy matchups in this series...

He had a few soft moves down, and that scope Gervin-like shot he pulls needs to be banned from his repertoire.

ShoogarBear
04-22-2013, 02:13 AM
fify

I know it's only been a couple of years, but Danny Green has yet to show he can be counted on in the clutch. At best you just hope he will hustle on defense.

Neal's raison d'ętre is to shoot, on the other hand. He's hit big shots in the past, so as long as he isn't playing scared, I'm willing to put up with the rest.

polandprzem
04-22-2013, 02:20 AM
Spurs looked like a wounded animal out there. Not in a sense they were raging and fighting for life but in a sense that they needed to get the job done even with the struggles and not being 100% health wise and rhythm wise.
I was satisfied just because it seemed like they starting to get motor running and hopefully I'm right.

Parker was the picture of what I mentioned and he starting to look better and better. He was attacking as much as he could but it will take time for him to feel comfortable to go fullout on the defense of the opponent.
Manu made me say wow- Manu? I hope he can continue his play.

Of course Pop had to go with Bonner as we did not want to play small ball against LA and we wanted them /LA/ to move on D. Bonner did the best he could and provided what all spurs fans wanted.

You all say Splitter was soft. But that's the way he plays. Soft technical basketball. He is not gonna change into bully out there. He needs to play diffferently. That's all. His passing was good as usual.

LA will play better the next game but spurs also will play better. This game was more about feeling your opponent and figuring him out. Measure stick to this series is the next game.

:flag:

MaNu4Tres
04-22-2013, 03:02 AM
You have that on the negative side though...

Hey am I the only one who thought Parker didn't look right?

- Parker looked physically horrible, he didn't blow by Blake even once, tbh..Blake had 3 or 4 clean strips against him, too, tbh, and he blocked him from behind..a healthy Parker would have blown by Blake at will, tbh..

I'm very concerned about Parker..

- Ginobili looked great, his shot was on..he was hesitant to create a shot at first, but it seems like his confidence grew as the game progressed..

- I didn't have a problem with Neal's shot selection..there wasn't anything unusual about his performance tonight, same old, you live with the good and the bad..

- Kawhi has no offensive chemistry with the team as a ball-handler, tbh..everybody looks lost when he has the ball, particularly the bigs.. I'm not expecting much from Leonard offensively against MWP, but it's even more unlikely considering the lack of chemistry..

- I didn't have a problem with Green's offense, but he doesn't seem to be focused enough on D..he's getting lost too much and not going hard enough for loose balls, etc..

- Joseph played great basketball..I always shit on him, but he deserves credit today..I hope he doesn't lose his aggression like he did after his first few successful regular season starts..

As usual..

Guess Harlem is blind too.

MaNu4Tres
04-22-2013, 03:17 AM
- [B]

It seems that the spacing disappears whenever Leonard has the ball in PnR's or ISO's out on the wing.

He doesn't really have great court vision (yet) with the ball and he often dribbles right into the bigs or into congested areas on the floor, which ruins fluidity within the offense and puts his teammates in a shot clock/bad shot situation whenever he picks up his dribble when he's in trouble.

I would like to see Pop utilize Leonard in horn screens off the ball to create separation from Artest, where he receives the ball in the mid range area. He wouldn't have to necessarily utilize his ball handling (which has obviously bothered his overall vision) in off the ball screens like such. With Parker not being right and being inefficient, Spurs got to figure out different ways to get Leonard going.

Hoops Czar
04-22-2013, 03:21 AM
So this is the new and improved Tiago Splitter? I hope there's a team out there that's willing to break the bank for him so the Spurs won't be able to resign him but, I don't think the Spurs will be that fortunate.

weeks
04-22-2013, 03:26 AM
:lol ahh damn i'm dying. drunk post game and this almost killed me.

splitter really was soft as a lavender pillow.

waisman
04-22-2013, 04:41 AM
good team post DF !

SpurYank
04-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Tiago was one of the reasons neither Howard or Gasol got it going. If you all are disappointed in his scoring, consider that a Carmelo Anthony he ain't. This is still a team sport. Pop credited defense as the one thing the Spurs did very well. Our success is based on everyone having a role to play, even if doing so and earning a low grade from timvp is a risk players have to take. What is bothersome is that we even have these grades for Spur players not being perfect.

SenorSpur
04-22-2013, 08:10 AM
It seems that the spacing disappears whenever Leonard has the ball in PnR's or ISO's out on the wing.

He doesn't really have great court vision (yet) with the ball and he often dribbles right into the bigs or into congested areas on the floor, which ruins fluidity within the offense and puts his teammates in a shot clock/bad shot situation whenever he picks up his dribble when he's in trouble.

I would like to see Pop utilize Leonard in horn screens off the ball to create separation from Artest, where he receives the ball in the mid range area. He wouldn't have to necessarily utilize his ball handling (which has obviously bothered his overall vision) in off the ball screens like such. With Parker not being right and being inefficient, Spurs got to figure out different ways to get Leonard going.

Leonard's offseason homework should be to watch Paul George (IND) and how he's transformed himself from simply an athletic SF, who shoots perimeter shots and attacks the basket, to a player who now rips the ball off the defensive glass and leads the break looking to create offense for his teammates just as much as he does himself. The guy had a triple-double in Game 1 of their first round series tihs weekend. That should now be the target of Leonard's evolution.

Drachen
04-22-2013, 08:44 AM
LOL

Ginobili was asked if it was true his freestyling play caused Popovich's hair turned from gray to white. "Yeah, and he lost a bunch, too," Ginobili said. "We both did."

Drachen
04-22-2013, 08:48 AM
A- for Bonner???

How high were your expectations??

He gets an A+ and a subway card imho

:lol

Paulie
04-22-2013, 09:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKi8OY1X3HI

100%duncan
04-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Leonard's offseason homework should be to watch Paul George (IND) and how he's transformed himself from simply an athletic SF, who shoots perimeter shots and attacks the basket, to a player who now rips the ball off the defensive glass and leads the break looking to create offense for his teammates just as much as he does himself. The guy had a triple-double in Game 1 of their first round series tihs weekend. That should now be the target of Leonard's evolution.
I'm sure Tmac can teach him some of that.

EVAY
04-22-2013, 10:17 AM
I think that some folks in here are judging people negatively based on not understanding Pop's game plan.

For example...although Leonard could make a couple of threes and that would be helpful, but he has clearly been told by Pop to help on rebounding, which he did quite effectively. Our two bigs can be and often are boxed out by their bigs. Leonard being the third guy on rebounding gives us a chance to get out and run the fast break after a miss by them, which we did last night to the tune of 17 points vs. 2 or so for the Lakers. Plus, MWP was close to a non-factor in this game, and a lot of that has to be attributable to Leonard.

Example 2...Splitter did a commendable job on defense, and with Tim shooting from the elbow for the bulk of his made shots in the first half, that leaves only
Splitter for the low post offense and rebounding. Plus Tim was shut down in the second half in terms of scoring. They are clearly going to continue to hound and foul Duncan, and if Duncan gets the calls and make the free throws, it can work for us. Splitter was fouled mercilessly and got virtually no calls.

Example 3...Parker was fouled almost every time he got the ball by Blake. I believe that the refs are letting Blake get away with it because it they don't, L.A. has almost no one at backup point. Parker also had three steals and did a good defensive job on Blake (who was scoring at about a 30% clip) and Nash (who was scoring at about a 35% clip). And if Green and Neal had not been shooting so poorly from 3 point range, Tony would have had double double easily.

Points are not the only way that players should be measured, and I think in looking back on this game, although it wasn't pretty at all times (except for Manu), you could watch the game plan being executed. People were doing what they were supposed to be doing.

We all love Manu's heroics, but let's also admit that he is one of the only players who will do whatever he thinks is best, regardless of what Pop wants. Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't, but it is almost always entertaining.

gameFACE
04-22-2013, 11:00 AM

Absolutely. They've had and will have plenty of time to get healthy. A three day break a couple of weeks ago, a three day break between the end of the season and playoffs and a two day break between Game 1 & 2. Tony and Manu have had quite a bit of time off. If they can finish the Lakers off in 5 they will be pretty healthy. This is a pretty mediocre Lakers team. They might still embarrass the Spurs one game. But this is a golden opportunity. I mean Tim started the '05 playoffs on a bum ankle and he still shit on the Supersonics. Tony will be as healthy as he can be.

Mugen
04-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Obvious bright spots were Manu & CoJo. I thought TD played great in the first half but really tailored off in the 2nd. TP's effort was commendable considering he looks to be at about 75% physically.

Pringles taking out Gasol late in the 3rd when he had Bonner guarding him was the worst move of the game tbh. Pop's Hack-A-Howard is a very close 2nd.

But a win's a win and I expect them to play much better on Wednesday tbh.

04-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Any point guard will have trouble scoring in the paint against good defensive centers. Howard is still the best defensive center in the league even if he had an off season. He looks fully healthy now and ready to block or alter shots. So I wouldn't read too much into Parker being tentative in the paint. Even Gasol is a good shot blocker. Having two 7 foot shot blockers guarding the basket is about as tough as it gets. Parker just needs to get his jump shot going and he should be fine.

Once the 3's start raining again from the shooters, the Spurs should easily win games. It's too early in the playoffs to start choking at the 3 pt line so I expect the Spurs to do better as the series progresses.

I am seriously starting to question whether the Spurs should pay Splitter his $10+ million in the offseason. He's so soft and sulks around whenever he doesn't get a call. Kind of feels like Beno Udrih in a big's body. I doubt he can ever live up to the $10 million potential.

quentin_compson
04-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Well, they got the win, which of course is great and will hopefully give them back some confidence. But apart from that, the jury is still out on not only a possible deep playoff run from the Spurs, but on this series also. The Lakers were't that bad overall, I think, and there is room for improvement for them - Nash's shooting, for example.
Of course, the Spurs can (hopefully) play better than they did as well. We just have to hope that Manu looking pretty healthy wasn't a fluke and that TP will get some of his speed and explosiveness back as the series goes on.

BTW, didn't anyone beside me find it strange that Pop let Neal (the worst defender on the roster) defend against Nash for quite a while in the first half?

will_spurs
04-22-2013, 11:43 AM
The Lakers were't that bad overall, I think, and there is room for improvement for them - Nash's shooting, for example.

Well, Nash received 2 epidural shots before he could play, and he's not eligible to get more before 3 weeks. I'd like to hear from our local specialists: either he's going to feel more comfortable, or the effects of these shots are going to disappear. I'd bet on the 2nd option. He indicated after the game that he was in pain. I don't think he's going to play much better than in Game 1.

BatManu20
04-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Blair's pre-game ritual :lol

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/spurs/imgs/dancingbear.gif

Brunodf
04-22-2013, 12:02 PM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/spurs/imgs/dancingbear.gif
:lmao

Whisky Dog
04-22-2013, 12:05 PM

That's hilarious

T Park
04-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Well, Nash received 2 epidural shots before he could play, and he's not eligible to get more before 3 weeks. I'd like to hear from our local specialists: either he's going to feel more comfortable, or the effects of these shots are going to disappear. I'd bet on the 2nd option. He indicated after the game that he was in pain. I don't think he's going to play much better than in Game 1.

I could see Artest and Gasol making a few more shots, maybe Howard gets more aggressive, but thats about it. Meeks getting hurt is a tough blow. Blake I think did all he could do.
I think if anything Nash if the pain gets bad again, can't move as well nor have as much lift on his shot like he had yesterday. Even though he did OK he was still a plus for the Spurs when in.

will_spurs
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Tweet from @JMcDonald_SAEN: Tony Parker, informed Steve Nash says he doesn't feel like himself: "That makes two of us."

Strategic
04-22-2013, 03:48 PM
:lol:lol:lol:lmao

ploto
04-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Parker's grade is too high

ShoogarBear
04-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Parker's grade is too high

Some things never change.