PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Little Improvement / Average team beat a bad team today

tmtcsc
04-21-2013, 05:54 PM
I didn't see much today to raise my hopes for reaching the Finals. Ginobili contributed more than I thought he could and I'll certainly take the win but the second round may be our ceiling. Perhaps this is the year George Karl exorcises his demons and gets past the Spurs.

The Lakers were the easiest team we could have hoped for in the 1st round. They are more banged up than we are and have more chemistry issues. It's shameful if this thing goes more than 5.

Our best hope is that we improve, catch fire and get on some sort of roll.

EVAY
04-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Well, with David Lee having a torn hip flexor after the first game, I expect that Denver will be waiting for us after they sweep GS.

tmtcsc
04-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Yep

DejuanorwhatDude
04-21-2013, 06:02 PM
I agree with you. Didn't look great today, but I mean honestly at this point of the year a win is a win. Just take every game for what its worth. If the second round is their ceiling than so be it.

tmtcsc
04-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Lakers have no business being in the playoffs. A Championship caliber team would've trounced them.

Arc
when parker isn't mvparker, we are just an average team.

ElNono
Guys like Splitter and Neal who get the minutes, need to make shots... bottom line. Tony needs to exorcize his demons too, I don't buy it's all about being banged up. Matty made up for Diaw, but still have doubts it's sustainable.

Robz4000
Spurs shot worse than the Lakers, Tony was still far below 100%, and the Lakers had two All-Star bigs to throw around, yet the Spurs were pretty much in control most of the game. Definitely not going to win anything unless Tony, Manu, and Tim play at their absolute best, but I have no reason to believe the Spurs can't make the WCF.

TheyCallMePro
04-21-2013, 06:06 PM
One things for sure. The Lakers were god-awful today. But yeah, Danny Green sucked, Leonard never got going offensively, and we relied way too much on the Big 3 to carry us. If were going to win this series and go deep In the playoffs, the bench has got to play MUCH better than they did today. And what's with the 7-8 man rotation Pop? I thought we were 10-11 deep easy.

Jumi
04-21-2013, 06:09 PM
After a good victory this is what you come here with?? I could care less if they won by 1 or 100! A win is a win! On to the next one.

Go Spurs Go!!

TheGoldStandard
04-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Today was a clear indication that we are a better team, Manu played fantastic, TD played well and we had TP with an inconsistent shot. It's all coming together in this series.

boutons_deux
04-21-2013, 06:11 PM
FG 38%, offense still sucks badly. LA lost it, Spurs happened to be recipient.

ironman2886
Liked the defense. If Parker makes those damn tear drops, it's a sweep. Tiago, Green, and Neal have to play better.

tmtcsc
I'm still hoping the Spurs get their mojo back and start sharing the ball better. Smart basketball wins games against more athletic teams but I'm not sure I saw that today.

Danny Green left Nash open for a corner shot. Seriously, you're going to just let Nash stand in the corner while half-heartedly trying to swipe at a ball from a player heading to the rim? How difficult is it to just stay with your man (who happens to be the best shooter on the team and hobbled with back issues)?

Manu did some Ole swiping himself. Gotta get better.

Brunodf
04-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Unlike last season, Spurs D is elite, nothing to see here

tmtcsc
04-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Sorry man, this aint the rah rah section. Just being honest and real.

letmk
04-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Many individual players still have long way to go. But no complaints about overall team performance. The Spurs have been struggling for the last several weeks and the Lakers have won 5-in-a-row, yet this game was never in doubt.

Now everybody says the Lakers are the worst playoff team in the West, but before this game, we are not even sure about game 1 win.

TD 21
04-21-2013, 06:28 PM
This is true, but it's also to be expected (realistically, we're probably going to more or less see this throughout the remaining four games of this slog fest). They weren't going to show up and magically look like world beaters all of a sudden. This is about gradually working their way back into rhythm going into the second round.

tmtcsc
04-21-2013, 06:31 PM
I think this series will be a sweep or go 5. But that doesn't say anything about the Spurs. It's about how bad the Lakers are.

superjames1992
04-21-2013, 06:33 PM
This forum is pathetic sometimes. The Debbie Downers never shut up.

We could win the NBA Finals and posters would be bitching about how Bonner missed such-and-such shot or how we only won due to flukey shots, etc. SMH.

superjames1992
04-21-2013, 06:33 PM
ENJOY THE WIN.

purist
04-21-2013, 06:53 PM
It's never enough - sad way to be.

hater
04-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Spurs played well. but Lakers are a pretty bad team. so nothing was proven today.

HI-FI
04-21-2013, 06:55 PM
nothing wrong if that's your honest feeling.

I figure, if we take down the Lakers, that at least gives me some serious joy. Also, Miami is the only team that looks truly great out there, so it's going to be an uphill batter no matter what.

Plus our big 3 all have lots of mileage on them. I'm just trying to enjoy this as much as possible, because I really think we need to start adding more youth to the team. I'm probably more excited about this offseason than I have ever been.

racm
04-21-2013, 06:56 PM
The offense blew but the defense was elite.

Held the Lakers to 41% from the field, 20% from 3, forced 18 turnovers and only committed 9.

Neither the Pacers or Grizzlies have defended this well in Game 1.

Solid D
04-21-2013, 06:58 PM
The Spurs are not an average team. Pretty silly, actually.

Johnny RIngo
04-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Spurs caught a break with the 2 seed it seems. Avoided the Rockets in round 1, and the Clippers in round 2. We're likely going to play a joke Denver team in the 2nd round.

Chinook
04-21-2013, 06:59 PM
How people take this game as a bad omen is beyond me. The Spurs role-players were pretty bad and they still managed to win.

What were the question marks coming into this game? Ginobili and Parker. They looked good. Bonner looked good. Green was pretty bad but ended his time on a pretty high note. Splitter didn't have a good game. The Big Three played the way the Spurs need them to play to have a chance at winning. The role-players will be fine. The Spurs ceiling looks a lot higher than it did just a couple of days ago.

hater
04-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Health is all that matters. as long as spurs still healthy they got a chance. :tu :tu :tu

racm
04-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Spurs caught a break with the 2 seed it seems. Avoided the Rockets in round 1, and the Clippers in round 2. We're likely going to play a joke Denver team in the 2nd round.

CIA Pop at his finest.

How people take this game as a bad omen is beyond me. The Spurs role-players were pretty bad and they still managed to win.

What were the question marks coming into this game? Ginobili and Parker. They looked good. Bonner looked good. Green was pretty bad but ended his time on a pretty high note. Splitter didn't have a good game. The Big Three played the way the Spurs need them to play to have a chance at winning. The role-players will be fine. The Spurs ceiling looks a lot higher than it did just a couple of days ago.

And the defense was great. Defense wins championships, because it's what great teams fall back on when their offense can't get going.

The defense should stick. The Spurs proved they could win ugly; not the case for the previous two seasons.

EricB
04-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Yeah other than the defense being fantastic they were horrible :rolleyes

DarrinS
04-21-2013, 07:19 PM
I have low expectations, but I'll take the win just the same.

cd98
04-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Nonsense. Lakers were a hot team coming down the stretch. Even without Kobe they were playing well. We beat a team that was playing good basketball. Spurs didn't play their best game but they played well enough to beat a good team; something they have t done in a few weeks.

DarrinS
04-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Gotta hand it to D'Antoni though

:lmao

racm
04-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Nonsense. Lakers were a hot team coming down the stretch. Even without Kobe they were playing well. We beat a team that was playing good basketball. Spurs didn't play their best game but they played well enough to beat a good team; something they have t done in a few weeks.

The offense should be back soon. The defense was great and should stay great.

DarrinS
04-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Based on western conf playoffs I've seen thus far, I like our chances

tmtcsc
04-21-2013, 07:46 PM
C'mon Eric, the defense was fantastic ? I thought it was good but how much of that is the Lakers lacking firepower and us forcing misses? I saw plenty of mistakes on defense that would have been costly against a better team.

I didn't go in to this game looking for negatives and I felt confident we would win. Honestly, the Spurs were in control the whole way but the Lakers hung around and made it more interesting than necessary.

objective
04-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Spurs defense wasn't as elite as the Lakers offense is just bad. They have problems scoring. Spurs should just single cover the bigs, it's not worth giving the Lakers smalls open three point shots. Even if Gasol and Howard combine for 65, the Spurs should still win.

Who can generate points for them? No one. Nash is too injured and old, and none of the other players can consistently get their own shots or for others.

The Spurs defense can't be elite when Green and Neal continually lose their men for open shots while halfheartedly 'doubling' nobody.

HarlemHeat37
04-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Spurs didn't look great, but they still got a double-digit win after looking poor for a few weeks, complaining is stupid..

The Nuggets looked bad for most of yesterday's game, their halfcourt offense was horrible, against a Golden State team that was .500 for most of the year, with Curry missing a ton of open shots, and needed 60-year old Andre Miller to have a career game, tbh..

The Grizzlies looked terrible all game..

I'm not sure how anybody can complain about the Spurs after watching the other West playoff games, tbh..

EricB
04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
C'mon Eric, the defense was fantastic ? I thought it was good but how much of that is the Lakers lacking firepower and us forcing misses? I saw plenty of mistakes on defense that would have been costly against a better team.

I didn't go in to this game looking for negatives and I felt confident we would win. Honestly, the Spurs were in control the whole way but the Lakers hung around and made it more interesting than necessary.

rotations were crisp, forced uncomfortable jump shots. Yeah I'd say fantastic but hey you want to Waller and bitch go right ahead. Par for the course here.

Brazil
04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Also what is reassuring is that the spurs tied lakers front court in terms of rebounds with Marty playing a lot of minutes. That's great. Leonard is helping tremendously in that area. So yeah nothing to complain about.

spurraider21
04-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Having Manu look as healthy as he did, and having TP progress physically, slowly but surely, definitely has me confident in our ability to do some damage this year

dunkman
04-21-2013, 08:30 PM
The Lakers didn't left the Spurs play well on offense, their defense was good, but the Spurs still managed to win the game. Those Manu's 3's were huge.

TrainOfThought5
04-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Spurs defense wasn't as elite as the Lakers offense is just bad. They have problems scoring. Spurs should just single cover the bigs, it's not worth giving the Lakers smalls open three point shots. Even if Gasol and Howard combine for 65, the Spurs should still win.

Who can generate points for them? No one. Nash is too injured and old, and none of the other players can consistently get their own shots or for others.

The Spurs defense can't be elite when Green and Neal continually lose their men for open shots while halfheartedly 'doubling' nobody.

Det truth.

tmtcsc
04-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I enjoy not losing more. I'm 42 years old and suffered through years of heartbreak before celebrating 4 Championships. With this squad, its Championship or bust. There's no enjoying a win at this point, its looking for improvement from the team.

Here are the positives I took away:

** Corey Joseph did a great job of defending and hassling Blake on defense. He made the guy work. He also made some nice decisions and made a couple of shots.

** Ginobili's shot went in. That's saying something lately and I hope it gives him some more confidence. His issues seemed mental when he was in a funk.

** Leonard didn't do well on offense but I thought he rebounded well and stayed active.

tmtcsc
04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
rotations were crisp, forced uncomfortable jump shots. Yeah I'd say fantastic but hey you want to Waller and bitch go right ahead. Par for the course here.

It was a mixed bag. I saw missed assignments on D, too much silly risk taking and stupid fouls. Something this team avoids when playing its best basketball.

Maybe I should save the bitching for Jeff McDonald's twitter page huh? I think I'll go Waller over there too.

Sean Cagney
04-21-2013, 09:24 PM
I didn't see much today to raise my hopes for reaching the Finals.

There are not going to reach the finals, keep your hopes right where they are right now. Just enjoy the games.

Spurs4#5
04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
I saw a lot of improvement from the last time the spurs played and from the last time they played the lakers...just another dumb fan who expects the world when he should just be enjoying these last runs by this team

tmtcsc
04-21-2013, 10:26 PM
I saw a lot of improvement from the last time the spurs played and from the last time they played the lakers...just another dumb fan who expects the world when he should just be enjoying these last runs by this team

Says the guy with # 5 in his Message Board name. :lol Don't get all sanctimonious on here dumbass. I have realistic expectations and want nothing more than to see this team win another Championship. You, on the other hand seem to have no belief in this team and are OK with it.

KaiRMD1
04-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Spurs finally won, let's see if they can win on the road but man, people were missing shots like crazy.

100%duncan
04-21-2013, 10:56 PM
You just can't please anyone tbh. Complaining after a win, really? Take your pessimistic talents to south beach tbh.

Sean Cagney
04-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Spurs finally won, let's see if they can win on the road but man, people were missing shots like crazy.

Hopefully those shots will fall soon. I will chalk that up to rust, they have been sitting a while.

z0sa
04-21-2013, 11:03 PM

Agreed. Although obviously premature, the Spurs look like they will get a second shot at beating OKC.

benstanfield
04-21-2013, 11:51 PM
Oh look, another championship hopes evaluation thread. Can we please have the same conversation after games 2, 3, and 4?

Brunodf
04-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Agreed. Although obviously premature, the Spurs look like they will get a second shot at beating OKC.
Monkeyballers/Grizzlies matchup well vs OKC...

2centsworth
04-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Consudering the Spurs have looked like crap the past three week, they made huge progress.
If they can build and improve from here that's all we can ask. Beating lakers should give them confidence too

sananspursfan21
04-21-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm still hoping the Spurs get their mojo back and start sharing the ball better...

There were flashes of this today. There was still far too much individual offense and iso situations with guys that have no business isolating. That said, there were some plays where the open man was found and really smart slice-n-dice offense beat the weak laker defense. Today's Lakers were the same Lakers we faced a week ago and the game went quite differently. I think Spurs have enough time to warm back up against these guys and the likely Nuggets or Warriors. They're for sure not playing contender basketball on the offensive end, and I know OP you're trying to be realistic, but I don't think you can complain too much. I feel like optimism after the game is realistic

weeks
04-22-2013, 02:42 AM
I feel like this win said more about the Lakers than it did about us.
I rewatched the game and with knowledge of the outcome already, I could be a little more objective. This was an ugly game, nothing pretty to watch for the most part - which is Popovich-approved playoff basketball. But we still have issues that need to be worked out.

weeks
04-22-2013, 03:04 AM
How people take this game as a bad omen is beyond me. The Spurs role-players were pretty bad .
i love it when people answer their own questions

they can play bad and get away with it against a crippled la, but it's not good news

Hoops Czar
04-22-2013, 03:10 AM
The offense blew but the defense was elite.

Held the Lakers to 41% from the field, 20% from 3, forced 18 turnovers and only committed 9.

Neither the Pacers or Grizzlies have defended this well in Game 1.

The defense was far from elite. The Lakers had open shots and they just couldn't knock them down. The Lakers are collectively one hot mess and won't prepare the Spurs for future competition. If they don't improve upon today's effort on both ends of the court, they're one and done.

Chinook
04-22-2013, 06:28 AM

they can play bad and get away with it against a crippled la, but it's not good news

I love it when people mis-read quotes. I said the Spurs biggest question marks ended up working out all right. If Ginobili had not looked good and if Parker had been unable to make a shot, that's one thing. But the Big Three playing well without the role-players should be encouraging. We know the role-players will get theirs as the playoffs go on. Leonard, Green and Splitter will score more. A healthy Ginobili is a great sign, no matter what.

Rummpd
04-22-2013, 07:33 AM
They still start 3 superstars or at least near superstars depending on how one ranks Gasol, Howard and Nash, and if clicking and healthy (and in Nash's case turn back time) would be among the league favorities even without Kobe. Lakers came in full of confidence and then got dusted off in game one by a Spurs team trying to find its confidence and they did. Could now be a short series and if Spurs click ceiling is still finals.

SpurYank
04-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Ah yes. Spurs fans are the smartest, most well-informed, professional basketball critics in the world. Surprised you all (must be enough to form an army) haven't gotten together to form a consulting firm. There have got to be some NBA teams who would welcome your Monday morning expertise.

Give it some thought.

Jumi
04-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Ah yes. Spurs fans are the smartest, most well-informed, professional basketball critics in the world. Surprised you all (must be enough to form an army) haven't gotten together to form a consulting firm. There have got to be some NBA teams who would welcome your Monday morning expertise.

Give it some thought.

"I'm a Spurs fan and I approve this message!" :toast

Budkin
04-22-2013, 08:12 AM
I can never read your takes because of that got damn avatar. Good God.

Old School 44
04-22-2013, 08:20 AM
As others have mentioned, the Spurs did get a great potential draw in the Western Conference playoffs. (Lakers, Denver, OkC)
The Lakers are the best matchup for them to start. They just aren't that good. All the media hype the Lakers come with will keep the Spurs focused. Beating them will improve the Spurs confidence going forward. You can already see the extra pep in Ginobili's step. I see a big game 2 for Parker.

tmtcsc
04-22-2013, 08:57 AM
I fully expect the Spurs to win this series and pretty much every game against the Lakers. So, when I watch these games, I'm not hoping for a "W" and I'm not just happy with a win. I'm watching to see if these guys are pulling themselves together to be able to compete against better competition.

When the Spurs play at their best - I think they are the team to beat in the West. They have experience, smarts and the best coach in the game. For a full month, if not longer, injuries and a lack of cohesion sent this team in to a funk. I'm looking for signs of them getting back to where they were before the fall.
They were playing great defense, they were moving the ball and their bench was wiping up the opponents' reserves.

The title of this thread is "Spurs: Little Improvement / Average team beat a bad team today" - Someone called me out on it and I agree it was a poor choice of words. The Spurs are a potentially Championship caliber team that has been playing very Average basketball lately. I saw a little improvement and was thrilled to see Manu nailing big shots today but they have to keep getting better if they want to go further. At their best, I think they can give the Heat some real competition and are legitimate contenders.

This is what I'm looking for during this series:

1. High team assist numbers
2. Low turnovers on offense
3. Forced shot-clock violations against Lakers offense
4. Good ball movement that forces the Lakers to scramble on defense from one side of the court to the other

I'm waiting to see us get easy baskets against the Lakers too. It's there for the taking. Am I happy that Manu made his 3's ? Of course, but I'd much rather see him and others making higher percentage shots. When the Spurs were on a roll in the playoffs last year, their offense was a thing of beauty. If they can get back to that level, coupled with the improvements we've seen on defense, we'll be set.

tmtcsc
04-22-2013, 08:58 AM
:toast
I can never read your takes because of that got damn avatar. Good God.

temujin
04-22-2013, 09:33 AM
With Parker being the shadow of the unguardable player we saw till March, the Spurs can only be as good offensively, plus Neal and Leonard hitting some occasional additional 3s, and maybe, just maybe, the Brazilian hitting a layup from 1 foot.

However, defensively, they played quite well, certainly better than in March and April, AND were not overmatched in the rebounding battle.
And they didn't have to play the zone card, which they prepared in the last 3 games of the regular season.

If someone complains about Spurs offense in perspective, he should watch the Denver-GSW game, in which Denver run endless brainless offensive possessions, whenever Andre Miller was NOT on the court. He could of course average 28 ppg, but I doubt.

Way before that, I wouldnt' count the Lakers out, at all.
Never underestimate the team of David Stern.

manufan10
04-22-2013, 09:39 AM
This is what I'm looking for during this series:

1. High team assist numbers
2. Low turnovers on offense
3. Forced shot-clock violations against Lakers offense
4. Good ball movement that forces the Lakers to scramble on defense from one side of the court to the other

1. They had 20 assists last night. They averaged 25 a game during the regular season. They shot 36% from the field. If they would have hit a better percentage, like the 46% shooting they had during the regular season, then they would have been at or above their average.
2. The Spurs averaged 14 turnovers a game in the regular season. They only had 9 yesterday.
3. Not sure why you're focusing on shot-clock violations.
4. I agree. Although, they did look much better than in recent games, they still weren't as crisp nor did they move the ball as well as they did mid-season.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-22-2013, 11:15 AM
I can't see Denver as being a problem. They barely beat the Warriors at home. Plus, Gallinari is out for the season, so that is a huge blow.

benefactor
04-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I enjoy not losing more. I'm 42 years old and suffered through years of heartbreak before celebrating 4 Championships. With this squad, its Championship or bust. There's no enjoying a win at this point, its looking for improvement from the team.

So you suffered...got some titles...now you are spoiled and can't even enjoy wins...:lol

News flash...barring a serious injury Miami are the champions. No one can beat them.

This team is not only struggling coming into the playoffs rhythm-wise...they don't have two rotation players(one gone for good and one injured) and two other impact players are still trying to get back to 100%. All those things considered, I'm fucking thrilled with this win. They are likely going to need the whole first round to get back to where they were...that is...if they do. I have zero expectations beyond this round. I'd be ecstatic if they made the WCF and were eliminated in a tough fought series.

Championship or bust is a stupid mindset with this team. They are lucky just to be where they are.

Horse
04-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Jeez you guys never stop. I could imagine if we won the championship you would say yeah we won it all but no way we win next season. You miss the point that we didn't play all the well and still won going away. We're only gonna get better as we get healthier. Who know maybe everyone is healthy and cllicking by round 2.

tmtcsc
04-22-2013, 01:01 PM
So you suffered...got some titles...now you are spoiled and can't even enjoy wins...:lol

News flash...barring a serious injury Miami are the champions. No one can beat them.

Championship or bust is a stupid mindset with this team. They are lucky just to be where they are.

I don't agree about Miami being unbeatable. They are playing better than anyone right now but I won't be stunned if the Knicks beat them. For two and a half rounds of playoff games last year, the Spurs were unbeatable. Analysts and media were describing their play as beautiful and a work of art. And then it all came crashing down.

Benefactor, I take it you are just along for the short ride. You watch the games, root for the Spurs to win, think they are just lucky to be there but expect them to lose. And I have the stupid mindset? What a waste of time. I sure as hell hope the players don't feel as you do. I can hear Timmy leading the charge from the pre-game huddle now - 1, 2, 3, "LOSE LATER!!!"

This team has the talent and system to win it all. Are we as talented as Miami or as young and athletic as OKC ? No. But we have great leadership and the know-how to get the job done. The Spurs just need to buy time for Boris to rejoin the rotation, Tony and Manu to improve health-wise and for the team to get in a nice groove. I like our chances against anyone if those things happen. It just needs to happen fast.

benefactor
04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
I don't agree about Miami being unbeatable. They are playing better than anyone right now but I won't be stunned if the Knicks beat them. For two and a half rounds of playoff games last year, the Spurs were unbeatable. Analysts and media were describing their play as beautiful and a work of art. And then it all came crashing down.

The media is dumb. Stars win in the playoffs in today's NBA...not systems. Miami won title last year with a head coach that used to a video guy. They are even better this year. The Knicks might make it interesting but they won't win. I'll wager any amount on that series.

The Spurs first two round of the playoffs last year were fools gold. They swept a couple of teams that sucked(Jazz) and were horribly coached/mentally weak/stupid(Clippers). As soon as OKC disrupted their ball movement their lack of defense became glaring and they were done. And don't give me the ref card. OKC's stars were simply better and could play more minutes while still being effective.

Benefactor, I take it you are just along for the short ride. You watch the games, root for the Spurs to win, think they are just lucky to be there but expect them to lose. And I have the stupid mindset? What a waste of time. I sure as hell hope the players don't feel as you do. I can hear Timmy leading the charge from the pre-game huddle now - 1, 2, 3, "LOSE LATER!!!"

Don't patronize me, motherfucker. I am a fan that knows exactly where my team is and what to expect and not to expect. I know the window is closing and I'm glad they are where they are. If you think it's a waste to time to cheer for a team that's not a championship team then by all means, go cheer for Miami.

This team has the talent and system to win it all. Are we as talented as Miami or as young and athletic as OKC ? No. But we have great leadership and the know-how to get the job done. The Spurs just need to buy time for Boris to rejoin the rotation, Tony and Manu to improve health-wise and for the team to get in a nice groove. I like our chances against anyone if those things happen. It just needs to happen fast.
They need a lot of things to happen...and it's going to take a minor miracle for it all to come together. Diaw has to come back and be effective, Manu has to stay healthy while being effective(he's looked bad since the first hamstring injury), Parker has to get his speed back and be 100% Parker...all these things have to happen for the Spurs to have a shot at making the finals so they can get the shit rolled out of them by Miami. It's just too much. I will gladly eat crow if it does come together...but until then I will look at the situation as a realist and accept what is real.

EVAY
04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
The media is dumb. Stars win in the playoffs in today's NBA...not systems. Miami won title last year with a head coach that used to a video guy. They are even better this year. The Knicks might make it interesting but they won't win. I'll wager any amount on that series.

The Spurs first two round of the playoffs last year were fools gold. They swept a couple of teams that sucked(Jazz) and were horribly coached/mentally weak/stupid(Clippers). As soon as OKC disrupted their ball movement their lack of defense became glaring and they were done. And don't give me the ref card. OKC's stars were simply better and could play more minutes while still being effective.

Don't patronize me, motherfucker. I am a fan that knows exactly where my team is and what to expect and not to expect. I know the window is closing and I'm glad they are where they are. If you think it's a waste to time to cheer for a team that's not a championship team then by all means, go cheer for Miami.

They need a lot of things to happen...and it's going to take a minor miracle for it all to come together. Diaw has to come back and be effective, Manu has to stay healthy while being effective(he's looked bad since the first hamstring injury), Parker has to get his speed back and be 100% Parker...all these things have to happen for the Spurs to have a shot at making the finals so they can get the shit rolled out of them by Miami. It's just too much. I will gladly eat crow if it does come together...but until then I will look at the situation as a realist and accept what is real.

I agree with your position and, although I would love to see us beat OKC and Miami, either or both of those things are really really long shots. I am already on record as being very happy and thankful for a whole season of Spurs basketball this year, and if we don't go any further, it will still have been a treat to watch this team.

BTW, benefactor, thank you for the advice on how to stop all the pics on everybody's signatures. It has been so nice since you taught me how to avoid that.

JR3
04-22-2013, 02:16 PM
You sound like ESPN.

will_spurs
04-22-2013, 02:21 PM
BTW ESPN asked 5 writers the question: "Which outcome of the playoffs' opening weekend was most telling?"

and 3 of them had this reply:

Dubin: The Lakers didn't seriously challenge the Spurs, even in a game in which San Antonio shot about as poorly (37.6 percent) as it's ever going to shoot. Los Angeles was riding a narrative wave, and San Antonio looked banged up coming into the postseason, so many predicted a long series. But if Game 1 is any indication, the Spurs could get things over with quickly.
Mason: The Spurs dispatch the Lakers despite their own mediocre performance. Kobe Bryant (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/110/kobe-bryant) tweeted (https://twitter.com/kobebryant/status/326078390635483136), "This game has a 'steal one' written all over it for us" as the Spurs struggled to find the basket early on. Yet the Lakers could never create consistent offense of their own, and it's hard to imagine them scoring against San Antonio's third-ranked defense well enough to keep pace for an entire game.
Nowell: Having shown the Pacers some love, I'll point to the Lakers, who got monster double-doubles from Dwight Howard (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2384/dwight-howard) and Pau Gasol (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/996/pau-gasol) but still failed to be competitive. Sunday showed it's going to take more than just inspired play from its two best players for L.A. to keep pace with San Antonio, and this series looks as short as the seeds might indicate.
Full article: http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2013/story/_/page/5-on-5-130422/nba-playoffs-2013-our-experts-review-opening-weekend-playoffs

benefactor
04-22-2013, 03:17 PM
I agree with your position and, although I would love to see us beat OKC and Miami, either or both of those things are really really long shots. I am already on record as being very happy and thankful for a whole season of Spurs basketball this year, and if we don't go any further, it will still have been a treat to watch this team.

BTW, benefactor, thank you for the advice on how to stop all the pics on everybody's signatures. It has been so nice since you taught me how to avoid that.
Agree fully...and you're welcome. :toast

tmtcsc
04-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Don't patronize me, motherfucker.

Was that really necessary? I thought more of you than that.

By the way, Fuck Miami. The media is riding their jocks just like they were riding the Spurs' last year. OKC took a step back this year while the Spurs improved their defense. All things being equal (Health being the most important), we'll beat them. Miami would be the toughest challenge.

I don't agree with you about stars vs systems either. Case in point - Our current opponent. There's no doubt that Miami has the best player in the league but Spoelstra is a good coach. He has that team playing outstanding defense and had to manage some strong egos and personalities a long the way. Now they're in cruise control.

The Spurs have enough star power at full strength to compete with the type of system they run. If they just tried to dump in to Tim every time, they'd get toasted. Pop realized that and adjusted things. It's all about ball movement to create the best shot available.

Now you're getting me all fired up. Fuck the defeatist attitude.

benefactor
04-22-2013, 04:46 PM
You got the response you asked for when you took a patronizing tone about what you perceived to be right about my fandom and followed it up with a horrible analogy.

And no...the Spurs don't have the star power. That's a straight homer take. They can't beat Miami even at full strength and they will need to have everyone completely healthy and playing at a high level to beat OKC. That is highly unlikely.

Fuck homer attitudes.

benefactor
04-22-2013, 05:43 PM
An :lol at you citing our current opponent in a stars/system argument. That's just awful.

ThaBigFundamental21
04-22-2013, 05:55 PM
I didn't see much today to raise my hopes for reaching the Finals. Ginobili contributed more than I thought he could and I'll certainly take the win but the second round may be our ceiling. Perhaps this is the year George Karl exorcises his demons and gets past the Spurs.

The Lakers were the easiest team we could have hoped for in the 1st round. They are more banged up than we are and have more chemistry issues. It's shameful if this thing goes more than 5.

Our best hope is that we improve, catch fire and get on some sort of roll.

I agree with you for the most part. But seeing a W is an obvious sign of improvement. This is the same team that beat us a week and a half ago. We couldn't buy a W for 3 weeks. It was good to see Manu hit some shots. Timmy was solid as always. Splitter played solid, it's almost like Splitter has to get mad to get into the game and get his competitive flow going. Fine with me, as long as he's engaged. Parker still looks like shit, I'm not going to touch that. I have gave my take for a couple weeks on him now. Leonard looked mediocre, Green mediocre, Neal mediocre. I fully expect Leonard to play much better.
All that, and we still won. It's a good sign overall. We need to/ have to get better, and we will. If Parker gets going he opens things up for our perimeter obviously, that will help Neal and Green. But don't be surprised if he struggles this series. Teams with a lineup of 2 talented big men always give him fits. It's a tough task for a smaller PG. If you see the mid range jumper going for him, be happy.

rascal
04-22-2013, 06:29 PM

The Spurs caught a big break with the seedings, playing the lakers without Kobe and then the easier 2nd round matchup. The spurs fall the first tough healthy opponent they meet.

The spurs win a title if there are injuries to their western conference opponent and Miami, that is the only way a title comes to San Antonio.

rascal
04-22-2013, 06:31 PM
I agree with you for the most part. But seeing a W is an obvious sign of improvement. This is the same team that beat us a week and a half ago. We couldn't buy a W for 3 weeks. It was good to see Manu hit some shots. Timmy was solid as always. Splitter played solid, it's almost like Splitter has to get mad to get into the game and get his competitive flow going. Fine with me, as long as he's engaged. Parker still looks like shit, I'm not going to touch that. I have gave my take for a couple weeks on him now. Leonard looked mediocre, Green mediocre, Neal mediocre. I fully expect Leonard to play much better.
All that, and we still won. It's a good sign overall. We need to/ have to get better, and we will. If Parker gets going he opens things up for our perimeter obviously, that will help Neal and Green. But don't be surprised if he struggles this series. Teams with a lineup of 2 talented big men always give him fits. It's a tough task for a smaller PG. If you see the mid range jumper going for him, be happy.

That regular season game meant nothing to the Spurs.

tmtcsc
04-22-2013, 10:51 PM
An :lol at you citing our current opponent in a stars/system argument. That's just awful.

You know what's really awful? I had you mixed up with someone else on this board. Turns out your 'motherfucker' comment was pretty much exactly who you are. But you couldn't just stop could you? I let you have the last word to feel good about yourself and you come back with some weak-ass, ignorant comeback.

The Lakers rolled out a season starting line-up that consisted of 35 career All-Star appearances between them and barely earned the 7th seed.
This STAR laden team was picked by 25 of 35 ESPN analysts to represent the West and ended up firing their coach 5 games in to the season because the SYSTEM wasn't right. So, another coach was brought in and again the SYSTEM wasn't right. A SYSTEM that plays to the team's strengths. Chances are, they aren't winning anything until the right system is in place.

Your Stars over Systems take is regurgitated nonsense from Collin Cowherd. The Spurs are the best example of how a system can win without a bunch of All-Stars. Need another example? Take a look at the 2004 Detroit Pistons who trounced a Laker team that featured four future hall of famers. Ben Wallace was the only Piston that was even in the All Star game that year. Larry Brown was in his first year at Detroit and his SYSTEM helped a bunch of role players win the LOB trophy. The 2011 Dallas Mavericks featured 1 Star in Dirk Nowitzki when they won their Chip.

Sean Cagney
04-23-2013, 01:33 AM

This team is not only struggling coming into the playoffs rhythm-wise...they don't have two rotation players(one gone for good and one injured) and two other impact players are still trying to get back to 100%. All those things considered, I'm fucking thrilled with this win. They are likely going to need the whole first round to get back to where they were...that is...if they do. I have zero expectations beyond this round. I'd be ecstatic if they made the WCF and were eliminated in a tough fought series.

I agree with you 100% here! GOOD POST!

benefactor
04-23-2013, 06:16 AM
The Lakers rolled out a season starting line-up that consisted of 35 career All-Star appearances between them and barely earned the 7th seed.
This STAR laden team was picked by 25 of 35 ESPN analysts to represent the West and ended up firing their coach 5 games in to the season because the SYSTEM wasn't right. So, another coach was brought in and again the SYSTEM wasn't right. A SYSTEM that plays to the team's strengths. Chances are, they aren't winning anything until the right system is in place.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7fyG2TcUNUg/TiVuGtyggsI/AAAAAAAAGNQ/uDbKNivUPGU/s1600/goalposts.jpg

Your Stars over Systems take is regurgitated nonsense from Collin Cowherd. The Spurs are the best example of how a system can win without a bunch of All-Stars. Need another example? Take a look at the 2004 Detroit Pistons who trounced a Laker team that featured four future hall of famers. Ben Wallace was the only Piston that was even in the All Star game that year. Larry Brown was in his first year at Detroit and his SYSTEM helped a bunch of role players win the LOB trophy. The 2011 Dallas Mavericks featured 1 Star in Dirk Nowitzki when they won their Chip.
Don't listen to Cowherd, tbh.

I knew you would pull the Pistons card. Can you name another in the modern era that wasn't a great defensive team? That Pistons team played defense at a historical level. You saying that the Spurs are capable of playing that level of defense? You try to solidify your argument by citing the Mavs and downplaying Dirk being the only star, but not only did Dirk have a superstar level run(28/8 46% from distance and 94% from the line)...he had a great defensive big man and healthy role players that caught fire in a major way. The Spurs aren't even fucking healthy right now and if they were, they wouldn't beat that Mavericks team at the level they were playing at.

I've told you that all the way healthy and completely in rhythm this Spurs team can beat OKC. That's all I can give you. They can't beat Miami. Lebron is playing at an individual level we have not seen since Jordan and when they are dialed in Miami can lock teams down defensively.

Right now all the Spurs are is a beat up team that's being carried by their ageless franchise big man and their young, talented forward while praying for magic in a bottle to mend all the injuries to players they need in order to get out of the next round of the playoffs. They are nothing close to the Mavericks of '11 or the Pistons of '04.

will_spurs
04-23-2013, 06:32 AM
I've told you that all the way healthy and completely in rhythm this Spurs team can beat OKC. That's all I can give you. They can't beat Miami. Lebron is playing at an individual level we have not seen since Jordan and when they are dialed in Miami can lock teams down defensively.

So basically everybody should go home, hand over the title to Miami and be done with it? Because I don't see how you could give OKC a chance if you aren't giving any to the Spurs.

Beating Miami is a really tall order and would be a major upset (regardless of which team represents the West in the Finals) but it's certainly not impossible. Let's first see how they make it to the Finals, what their confidence will be, how tired they will be... They are playing great right now for sure, they are still 11 games away from the Finals, like everybody else (except the Clippers).

Cane
04-23-2013, 06:49 AM
I thought Miami would be on the verge of a god damn three peat by now but then Dirk and the Mavs did their work a couple of years ago. Hopefully it's a Texas thing that works for Duncan and the Spurs too

benefactor
04-23-2013, 07:13 AM
So basically everybody should go home, hand over the title to Miami and be done with it? Because I don't see how you could give OKC a chance if you aren't giving any to the Spurs.

Beating Miami is a really tall order and would be a major upset (regardless of which team represents the West in the Finals) but it's certainly not impossible. Let's first see how they make it to the Finals, what their confidence will be, how tired they will be... They are playing great right now for sure, they are still 11 games away from the Finals, like everybody else (except the Clippers).
OKC can't beat them either.

And of course anything can happen. I could hit the fucking lotto tomorrow and never work again. It's highly unlikely though.

All I'm saying is it's horribly unrealistic to look at this Spurs team and say championship or bust...especially when they looked like ass late in the season and they aren't even healthy. RIGHT NOW they are not close to being a contender and to get even close they will have to A. get completely healthy and B. get completely in sync to the point where they are playing at an extremely high level. If you want me to put a number to that I'd say there is about a 10% chance that happens.

will_spurs
04-23-2013, 07:49 AM
10% is fine for me. Definitely better than "can't".

Slippy
04-24-2013, 04:15 AM
The defense on lakers bigs was very good. The open jumpshots Laker perimeter players got was by partly by design because of the doubling down low. When you got Dwight Howard shooting 15 foot jumpshots that's certainly a good sign the defense was working.