PDA

View Full Version : Is TP even at 90% health now or less?

SpurPadre
04-22-2013, 01:27 AM
It's clear he doesn't have his legs all the way back yet but he still moved better than he's had for the past couple weeks. And he made up for his lack of burst with smart decision-making and some nice passes. The fact that there are no back-to-backs will have to give TP a good chance to get to 100% as the playoffs go on. But that's what my eyes see. What do the rest of you think about TP's condition right now and moving forward?

lefty
04-22-2013, 01:44 AM
Playoff form tbh

BillMc
04-22-2013, 01:47 AM
Wasn't there some Skip Bayless "source" a few weeks ago that said Tony's ankle won't recover until after the season when he could be off it for a length of time?? That's when ole Skip jumped off our bandwagon. I have no idea if he can get near 100% while playing or not. Surely a short first round would give him more time to rest, but would it be enough? No idea.

To me, he seemed to have more burst than the last few games. So maybe he's progressing. Wednesday will be interesting.

blkroadrunners
04-22-2013, 01:48 AM
I'd say more 80-85%

siraulo23
04-22-2013, 01:50 AM
70% at best right now

He's basically a jump shooter atm

z0sa
04-22-2013, 01:52 AM
I liked the lift he got on his jumpers, but his speed is below par for our expectations. No way to tell right now quite yet, IMHO.

SpurPadre
04-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Wasn't there some Skip Bayless "source" a few weeks ago that said Tony's ankle won't recover until after the season when he could be off it for a length of time?? That's when ole Skip jumped off our bandwagon. I have no idea if he can get near 100% while playing or not. Surely a short first round would give him more time to rest, but would it be enough? No idea.

To me, he seemed to have more burst than the last few games. So maybe he's progressing. Wednesday will be interesting.

I don't know where he got his "source" but I found his tweet about it: https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/320574567519232000

Whatever is the truth, we need him at or very near 100% for any title hopes but if 39 year old Nash can get up for Game 1, TP can get better healthwise, too.

capek
04-22-2013, 01:59 AM
Playoff form tbh

:lol

I'm hoping it's more that he just needs to get into game shape, and that he'll regain form at some point if we get far enough. To me he looked about 80-85%. He was able to speed past Blake for that impressive steal and finish, and he had another nice finish later in the game on the break, but it's that last 15-20% that it what makes him so great at finishing in traffic, and he doesn't seem to have got that back yet. It's a real shame his great season had to hit this road bump. I would've liked to have seen what this team could achieve with Tony as the best player, playing at the level he was. :(

BillMc
04-22-2013, 02:02 AM
I don't know where he got his "source" but I found his tweet about it: https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/320574567519232000

Whatever is the truth, we need him at or very near 100% for any title hopes but if 39 year old Nash can get up for Game 1, TP can get better healthwise, too.

Yeah, that's the one I saw or Skip mentioned. If it is shin splints, maybe it won't heal during the season? I notice Tony doesn't really answer "are you healthy" questions now, even though Pop says he's healthy to the media. That tends to point to something that won't get better (until after the season) and therefore they won't dwell on it publicly. But that's complete conjecture on my part, I admit.

SpurPadre
04-22-2013, 02:04 AM
And Skip continues to insist TP won't be 100% until the offseason: https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/326076777728466944.

benstanfield
04-22-2013, 02:06 AM
He may not get his first-step quickness back without extended time off, but his jumpers and finishes in traffic will come back with time. Fortunately, LAL is a perfect warmup series for he and Manu because it literally doesn't matter how they play so long as we score above 90 points and play decent defense. The Lakers have no wing scoring to speak of, and Howard/Pau aren't going to give them more than 15-25 a game.

Sean Cagney
04-22-2013, 02:08 AM
And Skip continues to insist TP won't be 100% until the offseason: https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/326076777728466944.

Hell he is probably 100% Correct there, which is why I am not that high on the Spurs winning it all with him that dinged up right now. They might make it outta here in 5 and POSSIBLY the next round, but better hurry here quickly and move on to get him a little more healthy before hand.

SpurPadre
04-22-2013, 02:16 AM
Yeah, that's the one I saw or Skip mentioned. If it is shin splints, maybe it won't heal during the season? I notice Tony doesn't really answer "are you healthy" questions now, even though Pop says he's healthy to the media. That tends to point to something that won't get better (until after the season) and therefore they won't dwell on it publicly. But that's complete conjecture on my part, I admit.

Thing is, if he truly has shin splints, why isn't he wearing a running shin splint sleeve? As a long-distance runner who had shin splints at one point, I managed to keep running with the injury while wearing running sleeves and my speed time didn't have much of a drop off and I got better as time went along. I eventually got to 100% without taking more than two days off between my running schedule of 5 days a week. Of course, it was a long process to get to that point but TP has more resources and better access to quality treatment than I did when I had the injury.

Man In Black
04-22-2013, 02:30 AM
The wrong foot take-off is just very Euro. It's a move just like a drop-step. It's not a health adjustment.
I'd say, he's taking less chances to minimize injury because the playoffs are a long process. He's about 90-95 to me because his gait does NOT seem impeded when he's on the court.

BillMc
04-22-2013, 02:36 AM

Sucks if he's right. Tony's already had a lot of rest. Even if we luck into a short series with the Lakers, he'd only have, at most, a week until the second round.

To your excellent point about shin splints...its sounds like Skip is wrong on that front, but who knows?

spurraider21
04-22-2013, 03:28 AM
Every time Skip calls them "my Spurs" I want to drive to sea world and punch a dolphin in the face

siraulo23
04-22-2013, 03:41 AM
so it's the ankle bothering him or he's still holding back?

chapnis
04-22-2013, 03:52 AM
"77.04%" - Pop.

dunkman
04-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Impossible to quantify, but he was missing many shots that are automatic for him. I would say his speed isn't that bad, its the mechanic he uses to shot or lack of practice. I would say it will be better with time.

BillMc
04-22-2013, 04:05 AM
Every time Skip calls them "my Spurs" I want to drive to sea world and punch a dolphin in the face

I agree!:lol

Cane
04-22-2013, 04:13 AM
Probably just holding back still. Kind of like when Manu decided not to try a layup against Metta World Peace...the Lakers like to throw hard elbows and throw players into the ground....Manu and Parker are too old for that shit for a Game 1

Blake was a goddamn defensive monster in the first half though :wow

sehui
04-22-2013, 04:53 AM
If Tony was that hurt, we wouldn't have played him the last couple of games of the season - think about it, if tony had an injury that required enough time until the offseason, do you really think Pop would of played him the last few games of the reg season? No.

While I admit, he looks slow as crap (Steve Blake was able to keep up with him), I don't think it's a lingering injury, otherwise he would of have rested against LA, T'wolves, golden state, etc.

I think he's just getting into gameshape.

I honestly don't think Skip knows what he's talking about.

will_spurs
04-22-2013, 05:07 AM
It's still a reality that Parker didn't really try to get into the paint. He's a jumpshooter at this stage. Actually I was thinking, when watching the game, that this is how Parker is going to play at the end of his career: jump shots, nice passes, smart decisions on the fastbreak. Sadly the Spurs need a bit more than that from him this year.

exstatic
04-22-2013, 06:09 AM
It's still a reality that Parker didn't really try to get into the paint. He's a jumpshooter at this stage. Actually I was thinking, when watching the game, that this is how Parker is going to play at the end of his career: jump shots, nice passes, smart decisions on the fastbreak. Sadly the Spurs need a bit more than that from him this year.

The Lakers have something that no one else in the playoffs has: two shot blockers in the paint. Tony's taking what they're giving him. Be glad that he CAN be a jump shooter.

silverblk mystix
04-22-2013, 07:13 AM
He looked about 35-40% to me.

Stabula
04-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Blake will easily get 30 points game 2.

Leetonidas
04-22-2013, 07:46 AM
He looked about 35-40% to me.

Well, you're about the dumbest fucking person on ST, so that's not surprising

Bruno
04-22-2013, 08:04 AM
He isn't fully healthy/in rhythm/in shape but he is getting better. Time is on his side.

silverblk mystix
04-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Well, I am the dumbest fucking person on ST, so I don't understand what that means,tbh.

fify

you're welcome

jag
04-22-2013, 08:09 AM

This "stage" of his recovery from injury or this "stage" of his career?

If it's the latter, then you must be under the impression he's aged exponentially since early February.

100%duncan
04-22-2013, 09:23 AM
If Tony was that hurt, we wouldn't have played him the last couple of games of the season - think about it, if tony had an injury that required enough time until the offseason, do you really think Pop would of played him the last few games of the reg season? No.

While I admit, he looks slow as crap (Steve Blake was able to keep up with him), I don't think it's a lingering injury, otherwise he would of have rested against LA, T'wolves, golden state, etc.

I think he's just getting into gameshape.

I honestly don't think Skip knows what he's talking about.

This. Parker missing shots on game 1 was more on the technical side of it. Though if he really is not 100%, hope he will be by the 2nd round.

cd021
04-22-2013, 09:28 AM

LMFAO:rollin

Best comment so far tbh

Malice
04-22-2013, 09:35 AM

THIS. So hard.

EVAY
04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
The Lakers have something that no one else in the playoffs has: two shot blockers in the paint. Tony's taking what they're giving him. Be glad that he CAN be a jump shooter.

This. Absolutely.

It is a statement of his maturity that he knows better than to go in to the lane against the best shot blocking tandem in the league, especially when he doesn't have his lift back yet. He is playing smart and going all out. I think that's about all we can ask of him.

I have noticed that he continues to take a long time to warm up in a game, so to speak, and has ever since his injury. He has been better in almost every second half than first half since he came back, and that suggests to me that he is stiff at the beginning of games. Maybe more warming up?

will_spurs
04-22-2013, 10:21 AM
This "stage" of his recovery from injury or this "stage" of his career?

Stage of his recovery, obviously. I thought this was clear given the next sentence where I say this is a preview of the late stage of his career.

Re: the 2 shotblockers, that's indeed an issue, since you can always count on them for a hard foul, or maybe an elbow from MWP, on the way to the rim. So maybe the whole plan (sanctioned by Pop) was not to go into the paint too much. Still, look at my signature: do you think Tony was able to perform that kind of crossover yesterday night? I'd say no way. He was even limping back in transition at some point in the 3rd. I'd say he's about 50% right now, falling back on every aspect of his play that doesn't involve any kind of athleticism. I also noticed many times somebody else was bringing the ball up the court last night: sometimes Kawhi, sometimes Tim, once I think even Bonner.

mercos
04-22-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't think he's 100%, but I also think he's avoiding the paint because of Dwight Howard. Menacing shot blockers do that to him on a regular basis. When Tony stays out of the paint, his game looks awful. Fortunately, it looks like Manu has found his game after a disappointing second half to the season. We can get by the Lakers and Nuggets if Manu plays that well. We'll need TP at close to full strength to beat OKC though.

dbreiden83080
04-22-2013, 12:43 PM
He looked okay he can play his way into the series IMO especially with 2 days off here. I think he has a good game 2..

Mugen
04-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Getting stripped/blocked repeatedly by Mongoloid Blake tells me he's closer to 70-75% tbh. I thought he was saving it for the postseason but he's obviously not right physically. Hope he gets better as the playoffs progress.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
04-22-2013, 12:55 PM
More Cojo would be good if Tony isn't all there yet. Obviously, Cojo is inexperienced but he played better than could have been imagined. I think Tony needs more time to get fully recovered.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Not yet. He looked sharp in some parts of the game. Especially the two lay-ins in a row. But he can do a lot better I can tell

Leetonidas
04-22-2013, 04:41 PM
i like fat prisoner cock in my ass

faggot

ThaBigFundamental21
04-22-2013, 04:53 PM
As long as he doesn't aggravate his injury he is FINE! This series is giving a lot of time off in between games. Pop rested him a lot already. I keep saying Parker will get better as the series goes, and I still think he will. He was out for a while, his shot will come, so will his confidence.

Cane
04-22-2013, 04:57 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN: Tony Parker, informed Steve Nash says he doesn't feel like himself: "That makes two of us."
More Parker, shrugging: "It's the playoffs. Everyone is injured."

ElNono
04-22-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't even know it's all physical, tbh... I'm just guessing, but it looks to me there's a mental block somewhere... hopefully it's just a matter of knocking down some shots, regaining some confidence and getting past it.

ThaBigFundamental21
04-22-2013, 05:50 PM
I don't even know it's all physical, tbh... I'm just guessing, but it looks to me there's a mental block somewhere... hopefully it's just a matter of knocking down some shots, regaining some confidence and getting past it.

This.

DatBoyGood
04-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I hope its just him getting back into game shape...it was frustrating to see him struggle vs Blake when attacking. Good thing was that he still made smart plays and nice passes which helped.

Bruno
04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm just guessing, but it looks to me there's a mental block somewhere...

That's some serious BS.

I'm not sure why you still want to picture Parker as some kind of mental midget while he has proven years after years that he was tough as nails.

There are a lot of way much more likely reason to explain Parker's struggles like lack of rhythm, still not being 100% healthy, not being in great game shape... As a Manu's fan, you should know for sure that it sometimes takes a little time to come back at 100% after injuries.

spursfan09
04-22-2013, 08:09 PM
I thought he missed alot of shots that he knocks in. I'm not sure if its injury or just him trying to get back into rhythm.

Brunodf
04-22-2013, 08:16 PM
63,47% tbh

ElNono
04-22-2013, 08:31 PM
That's some serious BS.

I'm not sure why you still want to picture Parker as some kind of mental midget while he has proven years after years that he was tough as nails.

There are a lot of way much more likely reason to explain Parker's struggles like lack of rhythm, still not being 100% healthy, not being in great game shape... As a Manu's fan, you should know for sure that it sometimes takes a little time to come back at 100% after injuries.

Simmer down, bitch. I've said nothing of the sort, and I'm strictly talking about whatever ails him right now.

My appreciation comes from just watching him play. I don't see him doing anything particularly wrong. I see him having bursts of speed too. His aggression attacking the basket is just not there and his shot, which was automatic, isn't there either.

And Manu talked extensively about the mental aspect of the game, confidence specifically, which is the reason I brought it up. T-Mac was just talking about overcoming the mental aspect of injuries just last week.

The physical aspect is undeniable, but there's also a mental bridge to cross. Tony wouldn't be the first great player that has to overcome more than just the physical aspect, and that doesn't make him a 'mental midget'.

Brunodf
04-22-2013, 08:35 PM
:corn:

EVAY
04-22-2013, 09:19 PM

Well, but after Duncan came back from his last injury it took so long for his shot to come back even people like Timvp were considering panicking because he could not seem to get his form back. It is taking a long time for Tony, but I truly think it is physical. He played smart last night...didn't run into the brick wall
of two 7 foot shot blockers, which was smart, got three steals, had a terrible shooting first half and a much improved second half, and had 8 assists - which could have been a lot more if Green or Neal had been able to sink even 40 % of their 3 pointers.

I think he is not going to have his speed again until this heals completely, and I don't see that happening until after the second round, if we ever get that far.

ElNono
04-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Well, but after Duncan came back from his last injury it took so long for his shot to come back even people like Timvp were considering panicking because he could not seem to get his form back. It is taking a long time for Tony, but I truly think it is physical. He played smart last night...didn't run into the brick wall
of two 7 foot shot blockers, which was smart, got three steals, had a terrible shooting first half and a much improved second half, and had 8 assists - which could have been a lot more if Green or Neal had been able to sink even 40 % of their 3 pointers.

I think he is not going to have his speed again until this heals completely, and I don't see that happening until after the second round, if we ever get that far.

Like I said, I don't see him doing anything 'wrong'. His decisions have been sound, and he's producing. He just isn't dominant him, for some reason.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. I have a problem when people accuse me of painting some imaginary picture. I want Tony to do great, he's a big part of what this team needs to succeed.

Tuddy
04-22-2013, 09:42 PM
There can't be any problem with the ankle he rested it for ages. It has to be something else with foot/shin

pgardn
04-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Honestly if people can't see he is slower...

Corey frickn Joseph is faster right now. The Lakers are extraordinarily slow on the perimeter... Blake usually does not have enough speed to even foul him. We can get past the Lakers with a slow, smart Parker. But that's it.

Bruno
04-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Simmer down, bitch. I've said nothing of the sort, and I'm strictly talking about whatever ails him right now.

My appreciation comes from just watching him play. I don't see him doing anything particularly wrong. I see him having bursts of speed too. His aggression attacking the basket is just not there and his shot, which was automatic, isn't there either.

And Manu talked extensively about the mental aspect of the game, confidence specifically, which is the reason I brought it up. T-Mac was just talking about overcoming the mental aspect of injuries just last week.

The physical aspect is undeniable, but there's also a mental bridge to cross. Tony wouldn't be the first great player that has to overcome more than just the physical aspect, and that doesn't make him a 'mental midget'.

Uh no, there aren't "mental bridge" or "mental block" in that case. It just makes no sense.

Players can have these mental issues when they are mentally weak and/or coming back from a big injury and/or always injured. For example, a "mental block" is surely part of the reason why Rose is delaying his comeback from his ACL surgery. In Parker's case he is tough dude that has been quite healthy lately and who hasn't had a big injury. There are nothing that could hint of some kind of mental issue.

There is an obvious and logical explanation for his struggles. A jumpshot is a high precision mechanism and he is out of sync after the games he has missed. For the lack of drive in the paint, he isn't for the moment as explosive as he was before his ankle sprain and scoring in the paint is tough against Gasol/Howard. I don't know why you aren't fine with these and you want to put your mental BS into that.

And Spurs are damn lucky to have had such competitors like Duncan, Parker or Ginobili. When playoffs arrives, they just put aside all of their potential issues and gives everything they have even when they are limited physically or in their basketball game.

Brazil
04-23-2013, 04:23 PM

Don't call Bruno bitch, bitch...

I don't often post but when I do it's usually because I have something important to say. Now I don't want you to take this personal but your threads are terrible. Again I don't know who you are, what you do, etc but I certainly hope that your contribution to this website is not the culmination of your life.

:lol

hater
04-23-2013, 04:36 PM

I don't often post but when I do it's usually because I have something important to say. Now I don't want you to take this personal but your threads are terrible. Again I don't know who you are, what you do, etc but I certainly hope that your contribution to this website is not the culmination of your life.

Budkin
04-23-2013, 04:39 PM
I hope its just him getting back into game shape...it was frustrating to see him struggle vs Blake when attacking. Good thing was that he still made smart plays and nice passes which helped.

Well he was way better in game one than he was against Blake last week. He looked like he was moving in molasses.

Man In Black
04-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Again, the playoffs is a long process. The Spurs do not gain much by TP attacking the rim and then taking an unneeded blow this early in the playoffs. When he got hurt against Sacramento, that was unlucky. When you are playing the LAL, it will be a physical brand of defense.

TP has burst, he doesn't have a limp that's caused by injury that I see. Discomfort, probably, but with the tape job and his competitive nature, he can still play at a high level. Again, I look at him and I see 90-95% but like Manu, Pop wants for TP to take the low-risk, high reward move this early in Round 1.

ElNono
04-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Uh no, there aren't "mental bridge" or "mental block" in that case. It just makes no sense.

Players can have these mental issues when they are mentally weak and/or coming back from a big injury and/or always injured. For example, a "mental block" is surely part of the reason why Rose is delaying his comeback from his ACL surgery. In Parker's case he is tough dude that has been quite healthy lately and who hasn't had a big injury. There are nothing that could hint of some kind of mental issue.

I'm sorry, I though it was *you* that said:

The left one, so fuck.

He only has 1 of the main 3 ligaments left in that ankle.

So yeah, I would think there are reasons for him to be concerned about re-injuring that ankle.

I'm ok with you disagreeing, but don't start making up stuff like I'm calling him a mental midget or anything like that. I did no such thing.

ElNono
04-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Don't call Bruno bitch, bitch... :lol