PDA

View Full Version : Another Authoritarian School Imposing Liberal Values

Wild Cobra
04-22-2013, 04:43 AM
HrNY3SLtKLo

Wild Cobra
04-22-2013, 04:45 AM
Notice in the video, there is a statue of a guy with a rifle?

RandomGuy
04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
I didn't see any context in the video.

LOL "hunting rifle"

School children do not have first amendment rights anyway, not that I agree with that entirely.

I'm sure if it was a picture of a black guy holding a gun, you would be fine with the decision? I wonder.

Oh, Gee!!
04-22-2013, 12:11 PM
maybe it was the cut-off sleeves?

Capt Bringdown
04-22-2013, 02:33 PM
An over-indulged, spoiled brat plays the victim card.

Wild Cobra
04-22-2013, 02:50 PM
link: Student reportedly arrested, suspended after argument with teacher over NRA shirt (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/21/student-reportedly-arrested-suspended-after-argument-over-nra-shirt)

A few snippits:

Logan County Schools' dress code, which is posted on the school system's website, prohibits clothing and accessories that display profanity, violence, discriminatory messages or sexually suggestive phrases. Clothing displaying advertisements for any alcohol, tobacco, or drug product also is prohibited.

Their lawyer, Ben White, said that the T-shirt did not appear to violate any school policy.

Police charged him with disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer, he said.

"The only disturbance was caused by the teacher. He raised his voice," he said.

"If a teacher is telling you to do something that's wrong, I don't think you should follow it. But I also don't think you need to do it in a disrespectful way," he said, adding that he does not think Marcum was disrespectful.

White said he also wants to get the criminal charges dropped.

boutons_deux
04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
so WC is for school kids advertising gun violence on school grounds.

Wild Cobra
04-23-2013, 02:39 AM
so WC is for school kids advertising gun violence on school grounds.
Only someone with the intellectual dishonesty of yourself, can say that such a picture portrays violence.

ElNono
04-23-2013, 02:46 AM
He should've been suspended for the haircut alone, tbh

boutons_deux
04-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Only someone with the intellectual dishonesty of yourself, can say that such a picture portrays violence.

more guns = more gun violence, deaths

the belieber haircut is promoting guns, so the effeminate he is promoting more gun violence, deaths

it's not a "liberal" value to be against unregulated guns and against more gun violence, deaths. It's civilized humanity.

Wild Cobra
04-23-2013, 05:00 AM
And poof...

Oh ho ho, it's magic, and all the guns are gone!

4iiryJwvDtc

George Gervin's Afro
04-23-2013, 09:48 AM
There are no first amendment rights for minors in public schools.. nor should there be..

TeyshaBlue
04-23-2013, 09:55 AM
There are no first amendment rights for minors in public schools.. nor should there be..

Exactly. in loco parentis pretty much makes that point moot.

What should have happened.

School asks the boy to not wear that shirt anymore.

The boy says OK.

End of fucking story.

Kid and his parental shaped objects needs to learn to pick their fights.

mrsmaalox
04-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Stupid reporting. He wasn't arrested for the shirt, he was arrested for making a scene "disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer".

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-23-2013, 10:10 AM
I got dress coded in high school for wearing a Pacman Jones jersey and then was ordered to explain what the term "make it rain" meant (which was fuckin hilarious because all it did was draw attention to the jersey I was wearing). Middle school and high school teachers being dress code zealots and finding any reason they can to dress code somebody because they don't like a shirt personally is something we all had to/have to deal with. It's a part of growing up. If this kid wanted to be a hardcore rebel and stick it to the man, he should have agreed th change his shirt and then gone after the school/teacher for making him change.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-23-2013, 10:11 AM
double post

boutons_deux
04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Here's a lady with REAL BALLS who picked a worthwhile REAL FIGHT against "Christian" assholes claiming to know the Mind of God and trying to impose their morals on everyone

One High Schooler’s Fight Against Abstinence Ed: ‘If I Can Succeed In West Virginia, Anyone Can’ (http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/04/23/1906311/katelyn-campell-fight-abstinence-ed/)

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Katelyn-Campbell-300x276.jpg

As George Washington High School’s student vice body president, Katelyn Campbell believes it’s her responsibility to stand up for her classmates. That’s why, when her public school’s administrators brought a conservative religious speaker to advocate for “God’s plan for sexual purity (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=270948979707190&set=a.270948976373857.1073741826.270844006384354&type=1&theater)” at a mandatory assembly, the West Virginia teen began to speak out (http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/04/17/1883121/west-virginia-abstinence-assembly/) against the “slut-shaming” messages that she doesn’t want at her school. Now, after Campbell’s story has inspired strangers from around the country to offer their support to her cause (http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/04/19/1893611/katelyn-campbell-support/), she has a message for other teens: Don’t give up the fight for comprehensive sex ed.

“No one should have to feel alone or afraid of repercussions for doing the right thing,” Campbell told ThinkProgress. “If I was able to succeed in the socially-conservative state of West Virginia, then anyone can.”

In Campbell’s conservative community, she did face some opposition after voicing her opposition to the dangerous misinformation (http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/05/14/482665/birth-control-misinformed/) perpetrated by abstinence-only education. Her high school principal, George Aulenbacher, threatened to call the college where she’s been accepted (http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/04/17/1883121/west-virginia-abstinence-assembly/) to tell them about her “bad character” after she began speaking to the press. At a Board of Education meeting this past Thursday to address the brewing controversy, three people spoke on behalf of Campbell and a staggering 37 people spoke against her. A Facebook group emerged (http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=friends+of+aulenbacher&d=4786840830415712&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=EN6-Mclm6aWAzduMTc0Iy81oCCWALuFv) in support of Campbell’s principal.

But Campbell has stood strong — seeking an injunction against Aulenbacher to protect her First Amendment rights, as well as calling for his resignation — and her efforts are having an impact. At last week’s board meeting, the President of the School Board acknowledged that he believes “stricter scrutiny” should be applied to the speakers who are invited to speak at GW High School. Campbell and her fellow students have presented their case about Aulenbacher, and a hearing this week will determine his future. And Campbell’s story has struck a nerve with the thousands of people who have reached out to her to express their support (http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/04/19/1893611/katelyn-campbell-support/).

At first, Campbell was surprised at all of the positive responses she received after her story went public. “I’ve gotten hundreds of messages from people across the country that thank me for sticking up for myself — some have even used the word ‘hero’ — which still hasn’t sunken in,” she said in an interview with ThinkProgress.

But she’s not going to let that momentum go to waste. “I feel like I’ve been given an opportunity here to make a change,” Campbell explained. “If people across the United States, Canada and even Europe have been interested in my story, then I have the justification to go further. I fully advocate comprehensive sex education any and everywhere young minds are sculpted, so I’d like to see more implementation of already-existing policies nationwide, in addition to in my home high school.”

Ultimately, even outside of sex ed reform, Campbell wants to help other high schoolers feel empowered to fight for the things they believe in. As she puts it, “No student should ever have to feel intimidated or threatened by an administrator simply because he or she voiced their opinion.” So far, Campbell hasn’t backed down even in the face of threats — and she hopes that will inspire other young people in other states to speak their minds, no matter what kind of odds are stacked against their favor.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/04/23/1906311/katelyn-campell-fight-abstinence-ed/

Wild Cobra
04-24-2013, 02:20 AM
What about the parents who are OK with his shirt?

Does the school have the right to tell a student he has to deviate from what is acceptable by them, without a clear set of standards in place?

The parents interpretation of the school rules are different.

Wild Cobra
04-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Stupid reporting. He wasn't arrested for the shirt, he was arrested for making a scene "disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer".
Probably by quoting the constitution. It is said that it was the teacher making a scene, not him.

Wild Cobra
04-24-2013, 02:23 AM
I got dress coded in high school for wearing a Pacman Jones jersey and then was ordered to explain what the term "make it rain" meant (which was fuckin hilarious because all it did was draw attention to the jersey I was wearing). Middle school and high school teachers being dress code zealots and finding any reason they can to dress code somebody because they don't like a shirt personally is something we all had to/have to deal with. It's a part of growing up. If this kid wanted to be a hardcore rebel and stick it to the man, he should have agreed th change his shirt and then gone after the school/teacher for making him change.
We don't know the full story. Still, I find it rather fascist of the school to do what they did.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-24-2013, 08:04 AM
We don't know the full story. Still, I find it rather fascist of the school to do what they did.

I find a lot of things schools do fascist. I think it's bullshit high schools make students take their hats off when they're inside, or take their cell phones away if they see them out (my high school made the rule that they would take your cell phone away even if you used it in between classes). This kid isn't the first person who got screwed by an authoritarian faculty member, he's just enough of a spoiled brat to not accept it.

FromWayDowntown
04-24-2013, 09:41 AM

Does the school have the right to tell a student he has to deviate from what is acceptable by them, without a clear set of standards in place?

What if his shirt had said something like "Crucify Christians!"

Would you let him wear that to school? Assume that his parents would be okay with that shirt.

TeyshaBlue
04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Situationally irrelevant. Ditch the shirt and take it up with the principal/board later

Absolutely.

Of course it is. Shocking.

DarrinS
04-24-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't have any problem with this.

The one that pissed me off was the case where some California students were sent home for wearing American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. WTF?

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-24-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't have any problem with this.

The one that pissed me off was the case where some California students were sent home for wearing American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. WTF?

Yeah that I'd agree with you is fuckin bullshit. They were probably doing it to start a ruckus and provoke the Mexicans who get be@nered out every year for Cinco de Mayo (even though most of them don't even know why Cinco do Mayo is celebrated), but it's not their fault that wearing an American flag T-shirt offends Mexicans who live in America.

FromWayDowntown
04-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Situationally irrelevant. Ditch the shirt and take it up with the principal/board later

Indeed. Choosing to be bombastic doesn't give you license to avoid the rules; it gives you a platform to argue that the rules should be changed.

Blake
04-24-2013, 10:19 AM
What liberal values are being imposed here, Wild Cobra?

boutons_deux
04-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Paddling, banned since 2010, resumes in Fla. county's elementary school

A Florida county restricted corporal punishment three years ago and instated an alternative discipline program. Despite a decline in out-of-school suspensions, the school board yesterday decided to allow elementary school principals to paddle students misbehaving.

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/2013/0424/Paddling-banned-since-2010-resumes-in-Fla.-county-s-elementary-schools?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feeds%2Fcsm+%28Christian+Scie nce+Monitor+|+All+Stories%29

violence begets violence, sooner or later

Blake
04-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Paddling, banned since 2010, resumes in Fla. county's elementary school

A Florida county restricted corporal punishment three years ago and instated an alternative discipline program. Despite a decline in out-of-school suspensions, the school board yesterday decided to allow elementary school principals to paddle students misbehaving.

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/2013/0424/Paddling-banned-since-2010-resumes-in-Fla.-county-s-elementary-schools?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feeds%2Fcsm+%28Christian+Scie nce+Monitor+|+All+Stories%29

violence begets violence, sooner or later

Another authoritarian school imposing conservative, Christian, VRWC values!

FromWayDowntown
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Another authoritarian school imposing conservative, Christian, VRWC values!

Yeah, but those are real values that shouldn't be questioned.

Wild Cobra
04-24-2013, 06:23 PM
What if his shirt had said something like "Crucify Christians!"

Actually having that message is not the same as wearing a cross.

Why such a stupid example?

Blake
04-24-2013, 08:03 PM
smh WC

Drachen
04-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Actually having that message is not the same as wearing a cross.

Why such a stupid example?

how about something a little less overt, like an upside down cross with a burning jesus nailed to it?