PDA

View Full Version : I guess signing T-Mac was just a publicity stunt. In all honesty He may not play

greekgods12
04-22-2013, 06:29 PM
I mean everyone knows how weird pop is about putting new players in the rotation. So T-macs chances of actually getting on the floor are not too high unless someone gets hurt... So it seems like pop picked him up as injury ensurance and also so the Lakers don't pick him up

Proxy
04-22-2013, 06:35 PM
We can guess a lot of things... but it wasn't to keep him from the Lakers and it wasn't a publicity stunt. He just got on the team and isn't in game shape so that could be factor in him dressing out. As far as playing time goes... good luck guessing what Pop is thinking.

ThaBigFundamental21
04-22-2013, 06:36 PM
I mean everyone knows how weird pop is about putting new players in the rotation. So T-macs chances of actually getting on the floor are not too high unless someone gets hurt... So it seems like pop picked him up as injury ensurance and also so the Lakers don't pick him up

The Spurs aren't into publicity stunts. You should know that. He needs to learn the system and get into shape. Tim Duncan pretty much said as much. Listen next time.

racm
04-22-2013, 06:37 PM
:pop: will only play him once we get past the Lakers. Can't let the Second Round Virgin mess things up.

spurraider21
04-22-2013, 06:38 PM
With Diaw being out, Jackson being cut, and Manu's health in question, we needed another body, and Pop valued a guy that can knock down shots and play a couple of different positions. Most people on this forum were content with the fact that t-Mac wouldn't be in the rotation and likely wouldn't see many minutes at all, especially early on in his tenure here

baseline bum
04-22-2013, 06:39 PM
There is I guess more need to activate Baynes against LA for his fouls. I'd expect to see TMac in a matchup with Denver though, should the Spurs take LA's JV team out.

racm
04-22-2013, 06:45 PM
There is I guess more need to activate Baynes against LA for his fouls. I'd expect to see TMac in a matchup with Denver though, should the Spurs take LA's JV team out.

And Baynes would be more useful against a big team.

Denver has good bigs but George Karl likes to go small.

siraulo23
04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
if tmac plays you know the spurs are in trouble/panic mode

Budkin
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
The longer length of the first round series will allow T-Mac to learn the plays, etc. If Timmy says that he thinks T-Mac can help, then you know Pop is considering it for the next round.

Hoops Czar
04-22-2013, 06:53 PM
We can guess a lot of things... but it wasn't to keep him from the Lakers and it wasn't a publicity stunt. He just got on the team and isn't in game shape so that could be factor in him dressing out. As far as playing time goes... good luck guessing what Pop is thinking.

Playing in China doesn't prepare to play four or five minutes in the NBA? What kind of association do they run over there? He's not playig because he's an insurance policy just in case a player goes down with an injury. If he gets playing time, then it's going to be bad news for the Spurs.

Dex
04-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Or it could be just like Pop said...and he is insurance in case another player goes down or gets into foul trouble.

Personally, I'd have him suited up and getting spot minutes already. The Spurs injury situation is dire enough considering the absence of Jackson and Diaw. But I'm not the coach, let alone the Hall of Fame bound coach.

It's looking more likely we won't see much of TMac unless Kawhi or Green go down, or perhaps if Green really starts to slump again.

Legacy
04-22-2013, 06:55 PM
:lol "publicity stunt"

Here we go already ...

LakerHater
04-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Maybe hes not graspin the plays & defensive schemes right??

cheguevara
04-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Tmac said he is weeks away from being in game shape. IMO he will play in round 2

Bruno
04-22-2013, 07:13 PM
McGrady is 33 years old and injury prone. He played his last game on February 17th and has been since that, and in his own words, a couch potato. It will just take a little time and some conditioning work to have him in game shape.

Mugen
04-22-2013, 07:18 PM
McGrady is 33 years old and injury prone. He played his last game on February 17th and has been since that, and in his own words, a potato couch. It will just take a little time and some conditioning work to have him in game shape.

:lol you French are adorable.

04-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Spurs can't risk suiting him up for the first round because of the curse.

BatManu20
04-22-2013, 07:30 PM

This. CIA Pop knows what he's doing.

Johnny RIngo
04-22-2013, 07:34 PM

http://ambirddesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/potato_couch1.jpg

100%duncan
04-22-2013, 07:36 PM
:lol

Solid D
04-22-2013, 07:37 PM
McGrady is 33 years old and injury prone. He played his last game on February 17th and has been since that, and in his own words, a couch potato. It will just take a little time and some conditioning work to have him in game shape.

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm101865557/official-couch-potato-handbook-jack-munoo-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Poolboy5623
04-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Insurance policy...plain and simple. Why does the op think the spurs were keeping him from L.A.? The Lakers, and every other team out there had all season to sign him. With all this said, I don't think they need him in rd 1...but hopefully he'll get some burn, as the competition steps up..

Proxy
04-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Playing in China doesn't prepare to play four or five minutes in the NBA? What kind of association do they run over there? He's not playig because he's an insurance policy just in case a player goes down with an injury. If he gets playing time, then it's going to be bad news for the Spurs.

He said he was a couch potato for a month and just signed with the team suddenly. I don't see any other reason for him to put his recent activity in terms like that unless he intends some kind of meaning behind it, which I'll interpret as, "I'm not in shape." If he's not an insurance policy, then what is he, exactly? I expect he'll be in uniform next series when we don't need Baynes for extra fouls against Dwight and Pau, and Diaw comes back.

crc21209
04-22-2013, 07:53 PM
I would activate him tomorrow tbh. Either bench Baynes, who isn't going to get on the floor ahead of Bonner/Blair anyway, or bench one of CoJo, De Colo, or Mills. All three won't get on the floor in one game. The odd man out would probably be Mills. T-Mac could be useful against a taller guy like Jamison. Then maybe we wouldn't end up with crappy mismatches like CoJo defending Jamison...

Legacy
04-22-2013, 08:11 PM

Aaaahhh yes. Now I remember it all. Thanks for the reminder.

/thread

ThaBigFundamental21
04-22-2013, 08:21 PM

Did you even listen to T Mac's interview? He said he was a couch potato for a month. The Chinese league ended, and he sat at home spending time with his kids. His words "couch potato."

ThaBigFundamental21
04-22-2013, 08:22 PM
He said he was a couch potato for a month and just signed with the team suddenly. I don't see any other reason for him to put his recent activity in terms like that unless he intends some kind of meaning behind it, which I'll interpret as, "I'm not in shape." If he's not an insurance policy, then what is he, exactly? I expect he'll be in uniform next series when we don't need Baynes for extra fouls against Dwight and Pau, and Diaw comes back.

Exactly! Didn't see your post.

ElNono
04-22-2013, 08:34 PM
T-Mac is insurance in case Kawhi's knee flares up or Tony/Manu/Green get injured.

Hoops Czar
04-22-2013, 08:38 PM

Did you even listen to T Mac's interview? He said he was a couch potato for a month. The Chinese league ended, and he sat at home spending time with his kids. His words "couch potato."

No, I didn't listen to the interview because for me, it's a non-issue. I shouldn't be suprised that this forum would go stir crazy over a signing like this after the kind of attention a couple of nobody's in James Anderson and Malik Hairston got when they were here. Anybody thinking he'll get minimal to significant playing time is delusional. It's not the Spurs style to sign out of shape "couch potatoes" and then turn around and give them meaningful minutes. Pop has never been that desperate. IF he gets into the series at all, expect him to takeover Baynes role of Hack-a-Howard followed by take a seat.

Splits
04-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Haha! True story, my wife is Swiss (German speaking part) and right after we moved to the States she said the exact same thing. I just chuckled and didn't tell her the mistake because it was so damn cute. She figured it out eventually though...

Proxy
04-22-2013, 08:54 PM
No, I didn't listen to the interview because for me, it's a non-issue. I shouldn't be suprised that this forum would go stir crazy over a signing like this after the kind of attention a couple of nobody's in James Anderson and Malik Hairston got when they were here. Anybody thinking he'll get minimal to significant playing time is delusional. It's not the Spurs style to sign out of shape "couch potatoes" and then turn around and give them meaningful minutes. Pop has never been that desperate. IF he gets into the series at all, expect him to takeover Baynes role of Hack-a-Howard followed by take a seat.

he was signed for some reason. Why not bring up a d-league guy if it's predetermined he'd signify waiving the white flag? I'll agree that it's delusional to think he'll come in and make a huge impact, but we saw Glenn Robinson help against Denver. If he gets minutes, it's just when Jack's role isn't being filled adequately, worst case scenario (barring injuries).

ManuTastic
04-22-2013, 09:02 PM
If we're down 13 pts with under a minute to go... it's TMac time!

weeks
04-22-2013, 09:20 PM
why the mystery? i thought pop said outright that he was basically an insurance policy, a body to put in place in case of injury that wouldn't be lost in the NBA system

Chris
04-22-2013, 09:27 PM
If anything its going to sell jersies. I'm seriously contemplating buying one myself :lol

Poolboy5623
04-22-2013, 09:37 PM
You're kidding right? I have better things to do with my $$, than buy a jersey of a dude that may not even play one game for the team...ever! Ha

Poolboy5623
04-22-2013, 09:40 PM
With that said, I really want a, stitched, kawhi alt jersey...but can't find them under $200(authentic)??

cheguevara
04-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Also when asked about TMac, TD basically said TMac can help in this series. IMO the plan is to play him eventually.

Old School 44
04-22-2013, 09:54 PM
A publicity stunt is signing Brittney Griner for the playoffs and letting her go up against the Laker bigs. But we'll leave that kind of stuff up to Cubes and the Mavericks.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-22-2013, 11:01 PM
This is the reason:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAlXsxGfcoITm5IClqkaVQnDkF2D78c ZZouNFwj78vpK4o8dJckg
The time will come when McGrady plays

spurs1990
04-22-2013, 11:28 PM

Lol take out Bryant and they're JV. We gotta sweep these guys.

alfahdlan
04-23-2013, 12:14 AM
T-Mac is being prepared especially vs OKC and Miami. Be patient. You'll see.

MR-Clutch
04-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Gotta get out of the first round, then well play Tmac. Can't risk the curse.

DapDaGenius
04-23-2013, 02:31 AM
They said that he is insurance. I'm just hoping that he isn't gaawbage with the 3s.

The Reckoning
04-23-2013, 02:50 AM
lol potato couch

will_spurs
04-23-2013, 04:02 AM
Too bad he isn't in game shape, the garbage time at the end of game 1 would have been a good opportunity to get some minutes. I hope we will see him in at least one game, and that he will contribute.

Rito3d30
04-23-2013, 06:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMd0ILltcc0
at least he can be a mentor to Leonard

Spur|n|Austin
04-23-2013, 09:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMd0ILltcc0
at least he can be a mentor to Leonard

Noice! :tu

100%duncan
04-23-2013, 09:42 AM
T-Mac is being prepared especially vs OKC and Miami. Be patient. You'll see.
CIA Pop. :hat

Legacy
04-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Repeat this mantra to yourself over and over again right here... "It's all up to Pop... it's all up to Pop... it's all up to Pop... it's all up to Pop... it's all up to Pop..." You'll hopefully understand it and accept it sooner or later. ;) :lol :p:

Spurs4#5
04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
I think pop is saving him for the conference final if they make it that far....gives them about a month to draw up new playsthat tmac can be a part of and it will throw okc for a loop...this is just what I think would be the smartest thing to do

etbluffer
04-23-2013, 10:44 AM
No one here think Spurs signed him to keep him from helping a Laker team who needs him.... Or maybe a Denver team?

moisaenz
04-23-2013, 11:14 AM
T-Mac will only play in the first round if we lose a game.. not that he is a savior but it would be a good response to a loss, but unless Spurs lose there is no reason to fix it.

Capt Bringdown
04-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Brought in to hit the series winner against Miami.
-book it!

dbreiden83080
04-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Of course he won't play.. Nobody thought he would..

Budkin
04-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I think pop is saving him for the conference final if they make it that far....gives them about a month to draw up new playsthat tmac can be a part of and it will throw okc for a loop...this is just what I think would be the smartest thing to do

I was thinking second round but same idea.

8FOR!3
04-23-2013, 02:48 PM
We can all sit and speculate but I wonder how much T-Mac truly has left in the tank.

callo1
04-23-2013, 05:31 PM
:pop: will only play him once we get past the Lakers. Can't let the Second Round Virgin mess things up.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lol at this...good one.

I honestly think Tmac can get some minutes. His stroke looks good from the limited footage we have seen...granted there were no defenders on the court. His length and ball handling alone should warrant a look in a game situation. Hopefully the Spurs are up by a wide margin and we get to see him.

TD 21
04-23-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure what about this it is that is so confusing to people.

They signed him for 4 reasons . . .

1. They had an open roster spot and it would have been flat out ignorant to not fill it when they had such a glaring positional deficiency.

2. With Jackson released and Diaw injured, they lack mid sized players. This is a problem in a league that increasingly goes small (including the two conference favorites), as big SF's, are the key to playing small.

3. If Leonard get's injured, they wouldn't have had a single true SF and say what you want about McGrady, but if it comes down to having to trust him for a good chunk of minutes or a McGuire/D-League type, he's a far more appealing option.

4. If Ginobili get's injured again, they'd have no semblance of perimeter play making on the 2nd unit.

Sure, they'd be done if either 3 or 4 happen anyway, but that doesn't mean you don't try to have as good a contingency plan as possible.

ohmwrecker
04-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Do you guys think that McGrady might have been humorously exaggerating a bit when he said "couch potato", or do you think he literally sat on a couch for a month?

Dex
04-23-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure what about this it is that is so confusing to people.

They signed him for 4 reasons . . .

1. They had an open roster spot and it would have been flat out ignorant to not fill it when they had such a glaring positional deficiency.

2. With Jackson released and Diaw injured, they lack mid sized players. This is a problem in a league that increasingly goes small (including the two conference favorites), as big SF's, are the key to playing small.

3. If Leonard get's injured, they wouldn't have had a single true SF and say what you want about McGrady, but if it comes down to having to trust him for a good chunk of minutes or a McGuire/D-League type, he's a far more appealing option.

4. If Ginobili get's injured again, they'd have no semblance of perimeter play making on the 2nd unit.

Sure, they'd be done if either 3 or 4 happen anyway, but that doesn't mean you don't try to have as good a contingency plan as possible.

B-b-b-bingo!

Even if McGrady does get minutes without Leonard or Ginobili going down, it's probably not going to happen in the first round, and it certainly isn't going to happen if the Spurs are winning games without him.