PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Simmons agreed to a five year, $47 million deal with the Bucks

kolko
07-08-2005, 10:25 PM
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Former Clippers swingman Bobby Simmons agreed to a five year, $47 million deal with the Bucks on Friday, his agent Mark Bartelstein said.

"Bobby intends to sign with the Bucks when the moratorium ends," Bartelstein told ESPN.com. "He was very appreciative of the opportunity that the Clippers gave him but felt like this was the best opportunity for him."

The move is the clearest signal yet that the Bucks are serious about competiting for a championship this year. In the past week, they signed the No. 1 pick in the draft, Andrew Bogut, agreed to a six-year, $90 million dollar deal with Michael Redd and began the on the court rehab for point guard T.J. Ford.

The Bucks have two more significant free agents, Dan Gadzuric and Zaza Pachulia, that they are also trying to re-sign.

Simmons will join Desmond Mason, Jiri Welsch and Redd to form a pretty potent combination at the shooting guard and small forward positions. Mo Williams and hopefully Ford will take care of the point. Their only area of weakness now is at the four where Joe Smith is the only big guy holding down the fort.

The loss of Simmons, coming on the heels of the rejection by free agent Ray Allen, is yet another blow to the Clippers. Simmons had a breakout year for them and was a key to their success this season. However, head coach Mike Dunleavy was uncomfortable paying Simmons, who has played well for just one season, that type of money.

The Clippers could also lose free agent Marko Jaric this summer, putting into serious question their hopes of making the playoffs next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2103984

timvp
07-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Somewhere AHF sheds a tear.

ducks
07-08-2005, 10:34 PM
seems cheap to me
best deal yet this fa period

ducks
07-08-2005, 10:35 PM
I am more ticked at the bucks for not letting terry porter try to coach this team to a eastern confernce final

picnroll
07-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Simmons is considerably more per year than Manu. Dayam.

Mr. Body
07-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Wow. Expensive.

ducks
07-08-2005, 10:44 PM
dude the guy averaged over 16 points a game
got 6 rebounds a game

he is making about what he is worht in today's standards

less then joe johnson, hughes and ray allen

picnroll
07-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah but Manu would get multiple max offers if he was a FA this year after the year he just had. Spurs dodged a bullet.

timvp
07-08-2005, 10:47 PM
I think Simmons will be a bust in the long haul. How many Clippers' free agents have left with big contracts in hand and been productive? It's a short list.

Playing with the worst team in the league can sometimes make average players look like $50M players.

Mr. Body
07-08-2005, 10:48 PM
That's just crazy. A 16 ppg, 6 rpg guy isn't worth that kind of money. Funny that the league owners are concerned about how high spending is and turn around and throw boffo money away at players who are only decent.

Dampier got "what he is worth in today's standards" last year after a contract year. Then returned to underwhelming form. Simmons: laughing all the way to the bank.

td4mvp3
07-08-2005, 10:49 PM
i'm just waiting for the spurs to do something, sheesh, are they waiting until the allstar break or what?

midgetonadonkey
07-08-2005, 10:56 PM
He can pull down some boards though. Didn't he have a 20 board night earlier this season. Nice pick up but not worthy of championship talk.

Spursdaone
07-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Simmons will be a bust. He will suck this next year. Write it down. He is a contract player and now he has it.

ducks
07-08-2005, 11:02 PM
if he plays like this year he is worth the money

exstatic
07-08-2005, 11:02 PM
i'm just waiting for the spurs to do something, sheesh, are they waiting until the allstar break or what?

They

don't

need

very

much

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2005, 11:13 PM
:depressed

Farewell pipe dream.

CalsonicKansei
07-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Just hope Manu doesnt hear about this.

CalsonicKansei
07-08-2005, 11:16 PM
All these stupid teams are throwing huge amounts of money for SF and SG's when its PF's and Centers they actually need.

Nikos
07-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Simmons could be good in a nice system, like the Spurs. But going to the Bucks? Not sure how effective he will be? I can't see him doing any better than he did last season, but he was pretty solid overall for the Clipps. I guess it all depends on Bogut as to whether this team is actually decent or not.

Mr. Body
07-09-2005, 01:04 AM

What exactly do the Spurs need? Did I miss something? Are they not NBA Champions?

The only things they were ever going to do - despite the prodigious efforts of those on this board trying to inflate dreams into some kind of reality - were to tinker with the bench and try to add some pieces.

The Spurs were NEVER going to sign Simmons or Abdur-Rahim. It wasn't going to happen. Sure, they'd make the approach, but it was highly unlikely.

What was going to happen was what will: sign Scola. Address a 3rd PG, look at backup big men, like Oberto.

That's positively it. This team is practically set.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2005, 01:14 AM

5 year/$47M (avg 9.4) is not much more than 6 year/$52M (8.7M).

mavsfan1000
07-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Ginobili might be a little underpaid but he is no Terrell Owens. :lol

Felonius Monk
07-09-2005, 01:17 AM
5 year/$47M (avg 9.4) is not much more than 6 year/$52M (8.7M).

No, but it's quite a difference when you compare a guy who was instrumental in a championship run against one who has one good season and may or may not start.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2005, 01:19 AM
No, but it's quite a difference when you compare a guy who was instrumental in a championship run against one who has one good season and may or may not start.

I wasn't compared the players. I was comparing just the salaries. To me, it's not "considerably more" salary. But yes, to me Manu is light-years ahead of Bobby Simmons in terms of value to his team.

mavsfan1000
07-09-2005, 01:22 AM
I can't trust Bobby Simmons to be dedicated to getting better. To me he is motivated by cash and not for the teams sake. Unfortunately Dampier was the same way. I am not a Dampier fan even though I like Dallas.

constantstate
07-09-2005, 01:28 AM
im thankful that we're not in the same position with manu or parker that phoenix is with jj. they're going to end up paying more than they would have if they had taken care of him before... and they may even end up paying him max money if someone decides to start a bidding war with them.

mavsfan1000
07-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Thank God for Atlanta. :lol

constantstate
07-09-2005, 01:47 AM
Thank God for Atlanta. :lol
:lol

mark cuban. you know, just when i thought i had a chance to watch mavs games without breaking out in a cold sweat (due to aj) they have to go and give phoenix steve nash. with as crazy as the "mien cuban" doctrine is... somewhere down the line he better pay those bitches back for that.

somewhere right now... dirk is yelling at a waitress and blaming her because he forgot to order his drink.

mavsfan1000
07-09-2005, 01:52 AM
I wish Dirk would get over the lost of Nash because it is not like they won a championship with Nash. The only way they have a chance for a championship is a traditional style with Terry who is a great shooter. They need a defensive shooting guard who can hit the 3. Howard is very solid at the 3. Dirk and Dampier but need an athletic 4/5 to replace him in certain matchups. That team would go far.

constantstate
07-09-2005, 01:59 AM
I wish Dirk would get over the lost of Nash because it is not like they won a championship with Nash. The only way they have a chance for a championship is a traditional style with Terry who is a great shooter. They need a defensive shooting guard who can hit the 3. Howard is very solid at the 3. Dirk and Dampier but need an athletic 4/5 to replace him in certain matchups. That team would go far.

calling your teammates out on camera and then going out and not hitting any of your shots... call me crazy, but thats not gonna do it. that being said... dallas just needs to play defense. they need to figure out what kind of defense they want to play too. getting a shotblocker or playing more of a team d thing. and who's the go-to guy? i remember everyone asking that when they had more scorers than half the league... all this time later and they still dont know.

mavsfan1000
07-09-2005, 02:07 AM
I don't think offense is a problem and hopefully defense won't be either with our new coach as Avery Johnson. He will make this team very disciplined in that area of the game unlike Nelson. Dallas hasn't had any problems with offense in the last 5 years.

DDS4
07-09-2005, 02:07 AM
Pure lunacy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2005, 02:09 AM
To me he is motivated by cash and not for the teams sake.

This cracks me up. The guy was IR fodder until he finally got some playing time this year.

He was the Clips' best defender, one of the better on the ball defenders in the league, and was one of the best shooting swingmen in the league.

If that makes him somehow selfish, I don't see how you can be a Mavs fan with all those guys you get to call a 'team.'

rayray2k8
07-09-2005, 02:11 AM
looks like the bucks are building up a nice little team together.. now if they could just do something about those damn uniforms cuz they are really fucking ugly :vomit.
hell the whole arena needs a make over!!

mavsfan1000
07-09-2005, 02:15 AM
This cracks me up. The guy was IR fodder until he finally got some playing time this year.

He was the Clips' best defender, one of the better on the ball defenders in the league, and was one of the best shooting swingmen in the league.

If that makes him somehow selfish, I don't see how you can be a Mavs fan with all those guys you get to call a 'team.'
What? Simmons seems to be by his personality that he is very driven by money. I might be wrong but he brought alot more last year than before. His shooting percentage is 10% higher which means he has been working much harder than before. I don't think he can keep that intensity of being driven. I understand what you are saying about Dallas but they are fun to watch. I don't think they can win a championship but you never know.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2005, 02:19 AM
I might be wrong but he brought alot more last year than before

YOu are wrong, dumbass.

Again, the guy was injured reserve fodder, i.e., he wasn't even getting to play.

Early injuries to Kerry Kittles and Corey Maggette are the only reason he even saw the court this year.

The fact that he can actually play and showed it doesn't mean the guy was motivated by greed.

I don't think they can win a championship but you never know.

I'm just using the same flawed logic you're using when saying Simmons is a greedy kid because he actually got more than garbage time this year and showed he could play.

mavsfan1000
07-09-2005, 02:24 AM
You're the dumbass if Bobby Simmons plays like shit next year. I don't like him and many other players in the nba feel the same way. I figured I would argue with an Aggie fan since I root for the Longhorns. Next year will decide everything.

Sandman52
07-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Almost guarantees that DMason is shipped for a PF. But who's on the market? Stro or Chandler in a sign and trade?

baseline bum
07-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Man, Milwaukee has made some bonehead moves this season. I don't think Simmons is much of an upgrade over Mason, if at all. Redd is way too expensive. I don't know anything about Bogut, so I can't really say anything there.

T Park
07-09-2005, 04:17 AM
Nesterovic or

BENO and Scola for Desmond Mason??

Do it Spurs, get Desmond Mason.

Russ
07-09-2005, 09:56 AM
More good news for Clippers season ticketholders (like me).

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Just for grins...

I don't like him and many other players in the nba feel the same way.

Prove it.

Sense
07-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Can we start to say "look out for the Bucks in the east?"

wildbill2u
07-09-2005, 04:12 PM
seems cheap to me
best deal yet this fa period

At more than 9 million a year, Simmons is getting more than anyone on the Spurs except Duncan.

I don't think he'd fit into our salary structure.