PDA

View Full Version : Did Spurs Kill SAR Deal?

Twisted_Dawg
07-08-2005, 11:03 PM
With all the news about SAR being wined and dined by the Nets, and reports he is looking at houses and schools in NJ, it now appears like he is taking a serious look at signing with the Nets.

Siging with the Nets for the MLE which is a lot less than he would have got in a sign and trade for Rasho. Or is it? Could it be the Spurs knew he could not get more than the MLE with other teams and they in turn were only offering to pay him MLE money in a sign and trade deal? A sign and trade deal that would have paid him MLE money and also thrown in another Blazer to make up the difference in Rasho's contract?

It just seems that if the Spurs were willing to do a straight up sign and trade deal for Rasho's contract, then it is a no brainer and the deal would have been done by now. SAR would have gotten a lot more money than signing a MLE with another team, been in a state with no income tax and played with a team that has a good shot at winning more titles---which is what he has said he wanted. Or perhaps SAR got greedy and wanted a six year contract something the Spurs might have balked at.

Dominoes are starting to fall.....players are signing contracts. Right now I just get the feeling SAR is not coming to SA.

exstatic
07-08-2005, 11:04 PM
It was a rumor that didn't pan out. That happens...a LOT.

E20
It doesn't really matter, we're already set with or with out Shareef.

midgetonadonkey
Who cares...we don't need another PF coming off the bench. I'd rather have a 7 foot center coming off the bench than a undersize PF with an attitude problem.

clubalien
07-08-2005, 11:06 PM
he is friends with kidd, he starts there, and they are a title contender, as i said before spurs and nets re his best choices wouldn't be suprised if he plays for the nets

thekingrobert
07-08-2005, 11:07 PM
personally SAR isnt a good fit to the spurs to me they are better off looking elsewhere how about the Haitian Sensation in philly he's gettin no love

CalsonicKansei
07-08-2005, 11:10 PM
I should of known SAR was just gonna sign with teh nets.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2005, 11:14 PM
So SAR sucks because he's actually exploring his options? :lol

If the Spurs want to make the deal, it's there.

picnroll
07-08-2005, 11:16 PM
DId I miss some press release that SAR was about to sign with NJ?

thekingrobert
07-08-2005, 11:21 PM
if SAR can play spurs D then I will welcome him the only thing that separates the spurs from all the other teams in the league is their balance of D and O

clubalien
07-08-2005, 11:23 PM
and reports he is looking at houses and schools in NJ, it now appears like he is taking a serious look at signing with the Nets.

do most people look for houses before they sign or only after

i know that the first thing parents do when looking for house is get a school district and school that is good. but do most people just talk to teams sign a deal and then find a house or do they see if they want to live there what houses and then decided

I know Kidd was looking at houses but he was pretty darn close to signing here,

who knows maybe SAR is wanting to participate in the real estate bubble hehe

Solid D
07-08-2005, 11:30 PM
SAR isn't what the Spurs need. He costs too much for a 6th or 7th man and I believe he lacks the intensity and winner's mentality. I may be wrong but that has been my personal observation over the years.

I can't say that I've ever seen him get on the floor for a loose ball, although he has made a game-winning shot or two. I suppose I could be convinced otherwise, but I just haven't seen it so far.

With that said, I believe that a player like Scola or Oberto at $3-4 M/yr. would be an affordable price for a pivot player. Even Donyell Marshall at a slightly higher price would be a better fit for the Spurs with his 3-point shooting and length, and he makes many more extra-effort plays than does SAR.

Let him go to Jersey where he can start. I'd rather get better value for a Spurs' type of player.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2005, 11:30 PM
and reports he is looking at houses and schools in NJ, it now appears like he is taking a serious look at signing with the Nets.

The same reports made the rounds about Tim Duncan in Orlando, we all know how that turned out.

ducks
07-08-2005, 11:32 PM
and kidd looked at houses in sa

Kori Ellis
07-08-2005, 11:33 PM
The Nets brass took SAR around to schools and neighborhoods, it's normal when courting a free agent. He left there, giving them no commitment and is now going to visit Sacramento and Miami.

ducks
07-08-2005, 11:35 PM
if sar can not understand what shaq is saying he will not want to go there

texbound
07-08-2005, 11:48 PM
if sar can not understand what shaq is saying he will not want to go there

Hello Kettle, this is pot ........

timvp
07-08-2005, 11:53 PM
SAR isn't what the Spurs need. He costs too much for a 6th or 7th man and I believe he lacks the intensity and winner's mentality. I may be wrong but that has been my personal observation over the years.

I can't say that I've ever seen him get on the floor for a loose ball, although he has made a game-winning shot or two. I suppose I could be convinced otherwise, but I just haven't seen it so far.

With that said, I believe that a player like Scola or Oberto at $3-4 M/yr. would be an affordable price for a pivot player. Even Donyell Marshall at a slightly higher price would be a better fit for the Spurs with his 3-point shooting and length, and he makes many more extra-effort plays than does SAR.

Let him go to Jersey where he can start. I'd rather get better value for a Spurs' type of player.

I'm pretty much with Solid D. I haven't seen much out of SARS that would indicate to me that he's Spurs material. The only good thing about him are his stats.

But to me, if the Spurs are to make a Rasho for SARS deal ... I can't be said with that. You get a rotational player for a player that barely got any minutes in the playoffs. At worst, SARS would still be a tradeable commodity.

At best, you start him next to Duncan and he becomes a Robert Horry type floor spacer.

TMSKILZ
07-09-2005, 12:30 AM
If that muslim guy (SAR) signs with the Nets, it will be a very nice addition for them.

This would be the Nets starting Lineup...

JKidd
VC
RJ
SAR
Nenad
that's a solid lineup. All mobile guys to run with JKidd.

Mr. Body
07-09-2005, 12:58 AM
It was highly unlikely he'd ever become a Spur. Despite what some denizens of this board, who play the role of ringleaders of its public opinion, had to say, Shareef was an extreme longshot to join this franchise. The truth of the matter was, he was not a great fit here for the price and the assets we already had. But more to the point, much more to the point, the Spurs were not a good fit for him. I hope he goes to New Jersey and has lots of luck.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2005, 12:59 AM
It was highly unlikely he'd ever become a Spur

Dude, you're acting like it's over with. Still a lot to play out over the summer.

constantstate
07-09-2005, 01:03 AM
It was highly unlikely he'd ever become a Spur. Despite what some denizens of this board, who play the role of ringleaders of its public opinion, had to say, Shareef was an extreme longshot to join this franchise. The truth of the matter was, he was not a great fit here for the price and the assets we already had. But more to the point, much more to the point, the Spurs were not a good fit for him. I hope he goes to New Jersey and has lots of luck.
i think everyone wants the best team you can get... especially to not stand still after winning it all. its not like there werent any rumors floating around... theres still some out there linking the spurs to sar.

i've always thought scola/horry would be a good/great offseason... and with rasho and nazr around, to let one go and trade big for small (small forward) get someone in here good enough to spell bowen now, and semi-young enough to take over in 2 years full time... but all thats tough to do, and its fun to toss around names etc..

Mr. Body
07-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Dude, you're acting like it's over with. Still a lot to play out over the summer.

It's still 'highly unlikely' up until the point he makes a decision. Which will probably be the Nets.

What people don't seem to get is why basketball players play basketball, which is to maximize their potential and feel good about their efforts and accomplishments. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, a good player would rather play an active, important, even major role for a decent team than play half or a quarter of the minutes for a contender that doesn't really need him. It's not ego at all... it's more like pride, or a sense of self-worth. It's what caused Malone to finally turn San Antonio down (even if he was a goob during the whole process).

If you understand players and their motivations, their senses of self-worth, you can see why Abdur-Rahim is highly unlikely to join the team for a small, in-active role. Maybe once he's accomplished more and his career is dwindling, he'd accept a diminished role, but this is a player in the prime of his career and the prime of his life. Who expects him to dampen his spirits in this way?

Some fall into the 'Marcus Bryant' kind of thinking, where a player is insane if he doesn't immediately fall into the arms of the Spurs for whatever 5 minute incremental scraps he'll receive. And then people bad-mouth them for making good decisions.

timvp
07-09-2005, 01:38 AM
It's still 'highly unlikely' up until the point he makes a decision. Which will probably be the Nets.

What people don't seem to get is why basketball players play basketball, which is to maximize their potential and feel good about their efforts and accomplishments. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, a good player would rather play an active, important, even major role for a decent team than play half or a quarter of the minutes for a contender that doesn't really need him. It's not ego at all... it's more like pride, or a sense of self-worth. It's what caused Malone to finally turn San Antonio down (even if he was a goob during the whole process).

If you understand players and their motivations, their senses of self-worth, you can see why Abdur-Rahim is highly unlikely to join the team for a small, in-active role. Maybe once he's accomplished more and his career is dwindling, he'd accept a diminished role, but this is a player in the prime of his career and the prime of his life. Who expects him to dampen his spirits in this way?

Some fall into the 'Marcus Bryant' kind of thinking, where a player is insane if he doesn't immediately fall into the arms of the Spurs for whatever 5 minute incremental scraps he'll receive. And then people bad-mouth them for making good decisions.

Brent Barry: Came to the Spurs last summer for less money and no chance to start when he had offers on the table for more money and a chance to start.

Bruce Bowen: Has turned down $10's of millions of dollars to play on the Spurs.

Devin Brown: Turned down a guaranteed contract with the Denver Nuggets a few years ago to try out with the Spurs.

Rasho Nesterovic: Turned down more money and an automatic starting job for less money and having to prove himself in training camp.

Tim Duncan: Saved the Spurs money by opting out early.

Tony Parker: Could have hardballed the Spurs into a bigger contract by becoming a free agent this summer.

Mike Wilks: Turned down a two-year contract offer from the Rockets to join the Spurs.

And that's just players who make up this roster. Explain how this all happened.

Magic?

Mavs<Spurs
07-09-2005, 01:39 AM

I think I'm with you on this :fro

slayermin
07-09-2005, 01:44 AM
Damn. I lost $4 Vbookie geez.

zeleni
07-09-2005, 07:24 AM
Brent Barry: Came to the Spurs last summer for less money and no chance to start when he had offers on the table for more money and a chance to start.

Bruce Bowen: Has turned down $10's of millions of dollars to play on the Spurs.

Devin Brown: Turned down a guaranteed contract with the Denver Nuggets a few years ago to try out with the Spurs.

Rasho Nesterovic: Turned down more money and an automatic starting job for less money and having to prove himself in training camp.

Tim Duncan: Saved the Spurs money by opting out early.

Tony Parker: Could have hardballed the Spurs into a bigger contract by becoming a free agent this summer.

Mike Wilks: Turned down a two-year contract offer from the Rockets to join the Spurs.

And that's just players who make up this roster. Explain how this all happened.

Magic?

No, Pop.

exstatic
07-09-2005, 08:13 AM
he is friends with kidd, he starts there, and they are a title contender

Well, two out of three isn't bad. NJ hasn't been a title contender in two full seasons, and even SAR isn't likely to change that.

conversekid
07-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Who's SAR?

We don't need him; he's not spurs material.

Scola and marshall would fit much better.

Mark in Austin
07-09-2005, 10:03 AM

Great post...I agree...and thought the rumors were/are just a bit overblown, because I think the front office would see this as well.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2005, 10:48 AM
I think we should fall in lock step with the "Mr. Body" mode of thinking and shut this board down because we cannot have any discussions about anything this summer.

Shut up already, your act is tired.

PS...Learn about the CBA.

Spursdaone
07-09-2005, 11:07 AM
I don't think SAR wants to be here because the high expectations and he wouldn't get the money here as if he went somewhere else like NJ. He likes cash.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2005, 11:08 AM
RIF

Kori Ellis
07-09-2005, 11:17 AM
I don't think SAR wants to be here because the high expectations and he wouldn't get the money here as if he went somewhere else like NJ. He likes cash.

Where is NJ getting all this cash?

clubalien
07-09-2005, 11:27 AM
under the table?

rascal
07-09-2005, 11:49 AM
It was a rumor that didn't pan out. That happens...a LOT.

Especially with the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Man, if we had traded for Vince -- we coulda won the championship this year.

rascal
07-09-2005, 11:54 AM

Excellant points.

clubalien
07-09-2005, 11:55 AM
chump, i agree with you we cou dl of won a champ this year, but since we did it is meanlingless

if you are a nets fans
would you rather have KMart for the MAX
or SAR for the MLE?

rascal
07-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Man, if we had traded for Vince -- we coulda won the championship this year.

They would have won it with Vince Carter also.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2005, 11:58 AM
They would have won it with Vince Carter also.Debateable.

clubalien
07-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I heard minesota was intrested in RASHO and k Garnet doesn't want to play with RASHo

so what are some trade senores with rasho +beno
rasho +barry
rashoo+sign and trade devin
rasho + parker
or whatever that get us KG

KG can pla y 3 a little and we can move tim to C and play KG as a 4
i think it might be a good cominnation then nazr can come off the bench

clubalien
07-09-2005, 12:08 PM
no i would still do rasho for SAR
but i won't go it for marshall
do it for ron artest + filler

however i woudl perfer

KG over SAR
and since minesota wants rasho and KG doesn't want to play with rasho

this deal can get done
remember that KG has an OLD contract like shaq so it is higher then than "max"

wildbill2u
07-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Scola will be less money than SAR and while he isn't a proven NBA PF, his rep as the best PF in Europe may prove he's at the least a very capable backup for TD. We don't need both of these guys.

Meanwhile, we can either keep both centers as insurance (and keep other teams from having them) or trade one to a team without a legitimate center for an exceptional deal.

I like where we sit at this poker table. Everyone is betting into us and we have a pat hand without even going to a draw.