View Full Version : Bulls still have eye on Williams

Kori Ellis
07-09-2005, 04:51 AM
Bulls still have eye on Williams
By Mike McGraw
Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Saturday, July 09, 2005

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=71321

General manager John Paxson would have welcomed Jay Williams on the Bulls’ summer league team had the former No. 2 draft pick felt ready to play.

Now two years removed from a motorcycle accident that severely damaged his left leg, Williams is playing full-court basketball with other NBA players at the West Loop Athletic Club.

“He’s not going to play summer league this year,” said Kevin Bradbury, one of Williams’ representatives. “He’s probably about four weeks away. The goal is to be ready for training camp.”

When the Bulls bought out Williams’ contract for $3 million and released the 6-foot-2 guard a few months following the accident, he promised to give his former NBA team the right of first refusal if he was ever ready to play again.

It’s been widely assumed that the Bulls would not pursue re-signing Williams because they already have three small guards in Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon and Jannero Pargo. But Paxson said he remains interested in watching Williams’ recovery.

“I would hope we’d be contacted first,” Paxson said. “I’ve talked to (Williams’ agent Bill Duffy) about it, too. He (Williams) can do what he wants. I just asked that we get the first crack at it.”

Williams’ chances of returning to the NBA next season may be steep, but he should have plenty of options when he looks for a place to try out.

“Right now, there are a ton of teams that have interest,” Bradbury said. “We’ll leave (a return to the Bulls) up to Pax. Gar (Forman, the Bulls’ director of player personnel) said to me, ‘If the kid can play, we’ve got to take a look at him.’“

Bradbury also represents Duhon and was in Paxson’s office Friday morning with Duffy to discuss a new contract. Bradbury said progress was made, but there is not yet an agreement.

Duhon turned down the Bulls’ initial offer of the $1.7 million lower-level exception. To pay the second-year point guard more than that, the Bulls will have to use a portion of the mid-level exception, worth about $5 million.

Duhon’s statistics weren’t gaudy last season, but it’s hard to dispute the bottom line. The Bulls posted a 47-26 record during the regular season when he started at point guard.

“We’re nowhere near asking for the average salary for a starting point guard in the NBA,” Bradbury said. “There’s interest from other teams. They’re all being patient because they feel the Bulls are going to match whatever happens.”

On Friday evening, the Bulls faced Orlando in their second game at the Reebok Vegas Summer League. The Bulls opened with an 83-79 win over Washington on Wednesday behind 16 points from center Jared Reiner. Rookie guard Eddie Basden also played well.