PDA

View Full Version : Bonner is the anti-Howard

benstanfield
04-25-2013, 02:44 PM
This just occurred to me:

One is black. The other is nearly translucent, and possibly gets sunburned by the stadium lights.

One is a moron, literally dumb as nails and gets himself in trouble every time he opens his mouth. The other is well read, well spoken, and always an entertaining interview.

One has an almost superhuman physique, is a physical specimen. The other has no apparent physical gifts, and in street clothes could be mistaken for a high school math teacher.

One relies on easy points and rebounds to rack up high numbers, doing almost no scoring that doesn't involve putbacks, alley-oops, and isolation plays on the block. The other has to scratch and claw for every point, either by finding open areas and taking long threes or by working off the dribble and putting up tough shots.

One contributes nothing to the offense but setting screens and drawing double-teams on the block; he is literally too dumb for his team to run any sort of complicated play for him. The other cannot contribute to the offense except by being smart & savvy, knowing where to be at all times, and creating space by drawing defenders to the perimeter.

One uses his athletic gifts on defense to physically dominate other players and intimidate slashers with his presence as a help defender. The other, just by being on the floor, causes every opposing player to lick his chops, and must rely on footwork, positioning, and grit to contribute solid individual defense.

One could barely be considered a basketball player if he were not 7 feet tall; he has no fundamental skills and sinks his team when asked to make actual skilled contributions (footwork, free throws, dribble in isolation without turning it over, make a jump shot, rotate on PnR). The other relies purely on fundamentals to contribute in the NBA, be it shooting, working off the pumpfake-dribble, or playing defense, and sinks his team when asked to do things that are outside his skillset (playing at SF, grabbing contested boards, blocking shots, creating his own offense).

One was drafted straight out of high school. The other played 4 years in college and graduated with a bachelor's degree.

One floats around the court acting goofy, throwing elbows, and whining to the refs, and puts up 20 and 10 without serious effort. The other knows his role, executes it, and is a solid teammate and a standup guy in limited minutes, and puts up 10 and 5 on a good night.

One has been handed the keys to 2 franchises and done nothing but whine and moan about how the situation is never perfect. The other has been a career role-player and a fan favorite wherever he's been.

One is an NBA champion, the other is a fucking bum that will never. ever. win an NBA championship.

:hat Congrats to Matt for finally putting together a few decent playoff games.

Juggity
04-25-2013, 02:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RaeAc.jpg

Stabula
04-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Pop's going to put Bonner on Durant in the WCF

TampaDude
04-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Pop's going to put Bonner on Durant in the WCF

HA HA that would be awesome!

Let's win 6 more games first, though, m'kay?

MVPCues
04-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Good job, OP!

superbigtime
04-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Well done. :tu

Embedded
04-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Funny, as much as he's paid, he still isn't a team player. He's a selfish individual and a serial impregnator. How the hell do you have 5 kids that you can't raise?!?!?! If you want 5 kids marry somebody and make a family. I used to like him, mostly because he seemed like a smiling, happy guy, but I realize it's an act, he smiles because he knows he's handsome and gets good ratings when he does it. He's had more opportunities then 100,000 of us would have in ten lifetimes, yet he is whiny. As much as he's paid, he can't stand having Kobe be a bigger start than he is. I think his stock has gone down. I don't think he can play any role where he's not given the most attention.

vander
04-25-2013, 08:06 PM
fan favorite?

Bonner is one of the most hated Spurs ever

z0sa
04-25-2013, 08:43 PM
fan favorite?

On here he is. Among more "casual" fans I've rarely heard anything but praise for Matty B, even after his numerous playoff disasters.

Mel_13
04-25-2013, 08:44 PM
fan favorite?

Hated on SpursTalk, but still very popular at the AT&T Center.

Knoxxx
04-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Bonner is clearly in the heads of Faker bigs. First Howard throwing crazy elbows and should be suspended, then the dagger 3 over Gasol baby!

ffadicted
04-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Good stuff tbh lol

peacemaker885
04-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Maybe hated by most posters, but I still think that majority of ST readers and fans like Matty. He's trying his best and that counts for something, at least to me.

boutons_deux
04-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Let's see if Matty continues to harass and piss off DH in front of the Hollywood crowd. I'd love to see DH so pissed off he gets ejected.

Cane
04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Kryptonite

Although I predict the refs will whistle too many fouls against Bonner tonight

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Hated on SpursTalk, but still very popular at the AT&T Center.

Exactly - he's only hated because he's not a great basketball player, but apart from that I don't think there's a single person who wouldn't like his attitude, personality, sense of humor, etc. If any fan could have a beer and a chat with a Spurs player, he could easily end up on top of the list.

Whisky Dog
04-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Bonner is an NBA champion in the same way Sean Marks in an NBA Champion. Technically true, but contributed about as much as the towel boy to winning it.

Can he channel some Horry magic this year and actually come through? His middle name is Robert so will the gods shine on him in 2013?

Whisky Dog
04-26-2013, 11:24 AM
If any fan could have a beer and a sammich with a Spurs player, he could easily end up on top of the list.

mrsmaalox
04-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Nice!

romain.star
04-26-2013, 11:47 AM
People dislike/hate him for what he does on a BB court but love him for who he is off a BB court

skulls138
04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Bonner is clearly in the heads of Faker bigs. First Howard throwing crazy elbows and should be suspended, then the dagger 3 over Gasol baby!
Time for Splitter to pick it up and seal the deal

rasho8
04-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Nothing wrong with Matty. He has shrunk in the playoffs before but he has 2 godo games. Pop needs to know when to use him and he seems to have it right now against LA. During the OKC series Durant was fast enough to not care if Matty was out on the wing waiting for a shot, he could close fast enough and Matt's shooting mechanics means he is easily blocked by someone his own size or slightly smaller (he has a really low release). But he has been really good this year off the dribble and fakign the three and dribbling in or passing it.

All in all I have high hopes for Red Mamba this year and really would love to sit down and buy him drinks. He seems like a genuinely good person even as much as I tear my hair out sometimes watching him play.

GO MATT!

Slutter McGee
04-26-2013, 06:59 PM
fan favorite?

What are you talking about? Everybody here loves Matt Bonner as a person. We just aren't sure we want him on our team.

Slutter McGee

Fernando TD21
04-27-2013, 01:29 AM
Funny, as much as he's paid, he still isn't a team player. He's a selfish individual and a serial impregnator. How the hell do you have 5 kids that you can't raise?!?!?! If you want 5 kids marry somebody and make a family. I used to like him, mostly because he seemed like a smiling, happy guy, but I realize it's an act, he smiles because he knows he's handsome and gets good ratings when he does it. He's had more opportunities then 100,000 of us would have in ten lifetimes, yet he is whiny. As much as he's paid, he can't stand having Kobe be a bigger start than he is. I think his stock has gone down. I don't think he can play any role where he's not given the most attention.
Bonner also has a kid he didn't raise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFXiKEbVTe4