PDA

View Full Version : Stress killed case

KoriEllis
09-08-2004, 04:18 AM
Though we'll never know what really happened, this is an interesting article.

Stress killed case
Prosecutor: Bryant's alleged victim faced 'awful anticipation'

rockymountainnews.com/drm...44,00.html (http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_3166944,00.html)

By Peggy Lowe, Rocky Mountain News
September 8, 2004

GOLDEN - The criminal rape case against Kobe Bryant was very strong but ultimately couldn't go forward because the alleged victim was sick at the "awful anticipation" of going through with the trial, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

In a wide-ranging interview, Dana Easter, one of the prosecutors working for the Fifth Judicial District Attorney's Office, said the case could have been proved by the woman's injuries from a "violent sex assault," the NBA star's own statement to police and three witnesses who saw the woman the night of the alleged rape. But the woman backed out of the case last week, and District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said he was forced to dismiss the charges.

Easter also talked of a "remarkable young lady" who stayed strong despite constant hounding by the media and Bryant's investigators, creating a much different picture than the gold-digging promiscuous woman the Bryant legal team has described since the June 30, 2003, encounter.

The then-19-year-old woman didn't know who Kobe Bryant was when his reservation was made, Easter said, and only went to his room to get his autograph for her friend and fellow worker who is a basketball fan.

"One of the sad things is (she) did not get to tell what happened to her, and I don't know that she ever will," said Easter, a deputy in the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office.

Easter, a former nurse, has specialized in sexual-assault cases since 1989.

Easter also offered up many details of the young woman's story that have never been heard and are in direct opposition to Bryant's lawyers' version of events. For instance:

• Sexual-assault experts were going to testify that the woman had severe genital lacerations, including what's called "battering ram" injuries that are found in violent rapes.

• The alleged victim told the first person she saw after her time with Bryant that "He choked me."

• Right after her time with Bryant, the woman, sitting in the dark living room of her parent's home, initially decided she didn't want to tell anyone what happened.

• Bryant's attorney's remark that the woman had had sex with "three men in three days" was a sound bite that has never been proved true, Easter said.

There is no mysterious "Mr. X" who had sex with the woman in the 15 hours after she was with Bryant and before her rape exam. In fact, there was no sperm or semen found inside the woman, and that found on her yellow underwear was because she had worn them after a consensual sexual liaison on June 18.

• The woman had to be hospitalized after the first day of what was a two-day preliminary hearing last fall because she was so devastated at the reporting about her sex life.

• Jury selection was going well, and prosecutors were confident they would find a good panel.

'She was physically ill'

After 14 months of enormous pressures, Easter said the young woman called Hurlbert last Wednesday, about 11 a.m., and told him and others that she couldn't continue with the case and didn't want charges refiled against Bryant.

"She was physically ill. Her anticipation of what was going to be done to her and what was going to be allowed to be done to her was frightening. I don't think any of us will ever experience that kind of awful anticipation," Easter said. "It was very sad for her. I think Mark (Hurlbert) said it very well - 'justice interrupted.' "

Bryant's attorney, Pamela Mackey, said she couldn't comment, as she is still defending Bryant in the woman's federal civil case against him.

Easter, who rarely talks to the media, said she wanted to talk to the Rocky Mountain News because she's concerned that other women won't come forward with their stories of assault - especially acquaintance rape - because of the unusual amount of attention the Bryant case received.

She said she believes "the amount of victim blaming that went on in this case was phenomenal" and that the woman was unprepared for the kind of attention the case got because of Bryant's celebrity. The woman ultimately decided to report it because she "thought it was the right thing to do."

"We really believed in her, and we still do. I can't emphasize that enough," Easter said. "I think because we work in the system, we really believe that is a way for victims to say what happened to them."

Departed quickly

Easter went back and pieced together what happened to the woman the night she gave a tour to Bryant of the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera, where she worked as a concierge.

After the alleged assault, the woman came through the lobby, where two lodge guests and her friend and Cordillera bellman, Bobby Pietrack, were waiting for her. They had been excited that she would get Bryant's autograph for Pietrack, who played basketball at Fort Lewis College.

The two guests described the woman as "bubbly and excited" to meet Bryant. That changed dramatically after her time with him. She came out into the lobby, "made a beeline" to leave, grabbed her purse and left, Easter said. Pietrack caught up with her.

"Her first words to him were: 'He choked me.' And then it took a while for her to be able to tell him what happened because she was sobbing so hard," Easter said. "When she was finally able to tell him what happened, he was very concerned and immediately, of course, identified it as rape and wanted her to take action that frankly, most victims aren't capable of taking right at that moment."

The woman drove home in her own car, followed by Pietrack, who was worried about her psychological state. He was so upset when he returned home that he woke his father to tell him, Easter said.

The woman went to her parent's house in Eagle.

"When she went in, she said she sat in the dark living room for about half an hour and just tried to think of what she was going to do," Easter said. "She, at that moment, decided she wasn't going to tell anybody. She had, at that point, only told the bellman."

But she later told her former boyfriend, Matt Herr, who returned her call on her cell phone because he knew she was upset.

Then the woman went to her bedroom and pulled on a blue tank top and yellow underwear she found in an overnight bag by her bed - the underwear she had worn after a sexual liaison on June 18, her 19th birthday, Easter said.

"She woke up in late morning, and she said, 'I felt so awful, I knew I wasn't going to be able to get out of bed, and I had to tell somebody,' " Easter said. "She called her mom, and her mom came home from work. They immediately reported it to police, within a matter of moments."

'Violent assault'

Easter also gave these details from the case:

• On the physical evidence, experts were ready to testify that the woman suffered "battering ram" injuries: "It was a physically violent assault. It was a very degrading assault. It was clearly perpetrated by someone who thought he was entitled. It was a case where she had genital trauma, sufficient genital trauma that her blood was transferred to his penis and created smears on his T-shirt. We don't normally see injury in sexual assaults. We see it actually in relatively few cases. . . . She had two 1-centimeter lacerations to her genitalia. Multiple, what the nurses described as 'pinpoint lacerations.' "

• On Bryant's alleged choking of the victim as she was bent over a chair: "The way he maintained control over her was to strangle her. It was very effective. You should try it out. You should get someone who is 10 inches or 11 inches taller than you and have somebody press your throat, your windpipe and your carotid arteries. Not only are you able to easily physically control someone when you're strangling them, but it causes enormous fear to have your air supply cut off."

• On Bryant's apology issued after the dismissal: "I have heard many, many sex offenders say that kind of language. I don't believe it, no. I don't know that there's a man in this world that thinks if you strangle a woman to get her to comply with sex that they had a different view of it. I know that's how people justify their behavior, but I don't believe that. I don't believe that was the first he thought this was wrong."

• On whether the woman's filing a civil case hurt the criminal case: "There were people who had already received money from The Globe to say that she was going to file the civil suit. So, in fact, it was already out there, even though it wasn't true. It did not change the strength of our case. We had a strong case from the very beginning. I can't say that enough."

• On the woman being in drug and alcohol rehab: Easter said the woman spent time in a treatment center because of the trauma of this case and for a medical problem she wouldn't disclose.

"She was in treatment for five weeks, and that, in itself, was like being in prisoner-of-war camp. She could not leave for family visits because of the media. She had to leave there on the floor of her parent's car covered by a blanket. She had to move to five different states to get away."

• On Mackey's "bogus" statement that the woman was with "three men in three days" around the time of the alleged rape: "Of course, none of that was ever substantiated. The problem was it was such a catchy phrase. Everybody heard it. It was easy to remember. It was a sound bite. And nobody looked much farther than that."

Pietrack was one of the "three men" Mackey had alluded to, as he and the woman had sex on June 28.

• On going forward with the case without the woman's testimony: "I don't think that any of us on the prosecution team ever considered compelling her to testify. There are cases where we would do that, but I have never seen a sexual-assault case where we would do that. We had to have her testimony. Because it would not have been entirely admissible through hearsay rules."

• On jury selection, which was halted when the case was dismissed: "We met some remarkable people during jury selection. Very strong people who were able to say, 'I can listen to the facts.' And one of the things that really encouraged us was that the whole defense case was out there. Everything had been leaked. But the prosecution's case was not out there and never has been."

What prosecutor said

• On the accuser: "She was physically ill. Her anticipation of what was going to be done to her and what was going to be allowed to be done to her was frightening."

• On the evidence: "It was a physically violent assault. It was a very degrading assault."

timvp
09-08-2004, 04:31 AM
He raped her.

But he's free, that's all that counts ... right Lakers Fans?

DeSPURado
09-08-2004, 05:08 AM
He found the perfect psychological victim too. One that he could control at least thats the way is sounds to me.

Kevin Kaster
09-08-2004, 07:50 AM
He raped her.

But he's free, that's all that counts ... right Lakers Fans?

What counts is credible information. Information from the prosecution that's trying Bryant is hardly credible when Bryant's lawyers aren't able to refute anything that's said. What about the prosecution's own DNA expert (Bander or something, I forget his name) who switched over to the DEFENSE team's witness list because he told prosecutors that her injuries could have occurred during consensual sex? There's so much more evidence Easter talks about here that has been disputed and is simply flat out wrong according to pre-trial hearings that it's sad you'd come to this conclusion timvp. It's understandable, though, you're a Spurs fan that hasn't really followed the trial.

And I still find it ridiculous that this woman would drop out of the case if the prosecution had so much evidence. You don't let your supposed rapist go free if you really care that much. Physically ill from the leaks about her private life? Then why on earth would she go through a civil trial, where she would have far fewer privacy rights and where her personal life will surely be exposed, and where there is certainly no gag order to protect her.

Tony Le Parker
09-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Try getting raped sometime Kevin. It'll do things to your mind. Im sure you think you're tough enough that you'd just shrug it off and pursue justice. I can understand the girl being afraid of being more humiliated (if that's even possible) during the trial and worse, having no one believe her. Do you realize and accept this wonderful phenomenon people have regarding rape? People refuse to believe the victims for some odd reason, almost always citing some urban myth about their friend getting falsely accused by some crazy girl. Never that their friend may be lying.

As for some "crazy" reason why she might pursue the actions she has, it's called precedent. It's called celebrity justice, they always seem to get off. But when it comes to civil trial, there sometimes is a penalty. Biggest case in fact is OJ. He killed 2 people, 99% of the world agrees on that, except 12 people. He was found guilty in a civil trial. Most non-Laker fans have been fairly objective about this case, but I have yet to see a single Laker fan cast aspersions upon their hero. Being a fan is one thing, ignoring morality for a sport is clearly another. I wonder why Shaq never jumped on the Kobe bandwagon?

DeSpurado - Im not a psychologist, but I would venture to say that there's nothing special or unusual about this girl. I think people underestimate the effects of being raped. It's not just a violation of their body, but it's a violation of their will and mind.

Kevin Kaster
09-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Try getting raped sometime Kevin. It'll do things to your mind. Im sure you think you're tough enough that you'd just shrug it off and pursue justice. I can understand the girl being afraid of being more humiliated (if that's even possible) during the trial and worse, having no one believe her. Do you realize and accept this wonderful phenomenon people have regarding rape? People refuse to believe the victims for some odd reason, almost always citing some urban myth about their friend getting falsely accused by some crazy girl. Never that their friend may be lying.

As for some "crazy" reason why she might pursue the actions she has, it's called precedent. It's called celebrity justice, they always seem to get off. But when it comes to civil trial, there sometimes is a penalty. Biggest case in fact is OJ. He killed 2 people, 99% of the world agrees on that, except 12 people. He was found guilty in a civil trial. Most non-Laker fans have been fairly objective about this case, but I have yet to see a single Laker fan cast aspersions upon their hero. Being a fan is one thing, ignoring morality for a sport is clearly another. I wonder why Shaq never jumped on the Kobe bandwagon?

DeSpurado - Im not a psychologist, but I would venture to say that there's nothing special or unusual about this girl. I think people underestimate the effects of being raped. It's not just a violation of their body, but it's a violation of their will and mind.

Nice post and all, but it still doesn't answer some basic questions:

1) One of her reasons for dropping out of the criminal cases was the leaked information about her private life. Why on earth would you pursue a civil case that risks the exposure of your private life? Makes no sense that I can tell.

2) Why drop out of the case now, 14 months later and on the last day of jury selection, and not months ago when your private information was accidentally leaked?

3) Why force the prosecution to stop prosecuting Bryant? Do you desire your rapist to walk the streets freely?

Not to mention the holes in Easter's comments in this article; like their own DNA expert (who they've used on multiple cases) switching over to the defense team due to his contention that the accuser's injuries could have been caused by consensual sex, or like the fact that there IS (and I can't believe Easter is denying this) evidence that the accuser had consenual sex with a male AFTER the alleged rape. You really can go on and on. I've actually followed the case very closely, and if I thought Kobe could do something like this I'd certainly call him on it like any sane person would. So far there's no compelling reasons to call Kobe guilty or innocent. We just don't know, and probably never will.

tlongII
09-08-2004, 10:59 AM
The prosecution had no chance of winning this case and it should have been dropped much earlier to avoid costing taxpayers the money it did. Kobe "might" have raped her, but it doesn't really matter now. The girl is going for the payday at this point and I think she'll get one.

xcoriate
09-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Kobe payed her off.

adidas11
09-08-2004, 05:42 PM
I'll wait for the actual evidence to come out, before making judgements. As of right now, everything to me is just talk.

bigzak25
09-08-2004, 05:57 PM
since she dropped it, i'm more inclined to believe kobes.

who knows what really happened....all I ever wanted to know was the truth, and I had hoped it would come out at trial....oh well....

SequSpur
09-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Don't be stupid.

The DA made damn sure that they had the evidence to try that mother fucker. It's because he and his lawyers twisted shit around in the media that it made it damn near impossible for that girl to get a conviction.

90 percent of the cases that go to court end up in a conviction. 90 percent! That fucker was going down. To jail, off the court, banged in the ass.

It pisses me off that fuckers like Kobe get off and the fucking stupid ass Laker fans are happy about it.

If the Laker organization had any fucking morals, they would trade him immediately and set an example for dipshits like him.

But since the Lakers are fucking dead anyway, I don't think it matters.

**** Kobe. **** OJ. **** the Lakers.

Tawnia79
09-09-2004, 03:15 AM
90 percent of the cases that go to court end up in a conviction. 90 percent! That fucker was going down. To jail, off the court, banged in the ass.

can I ask where you got that information?

iminlakerland
09-09-2004, 03:43 AM
*yawn*

:sleepy

Kevin Kaster
09-09-2004, 09:44 AM
can I ask where you got that information?

Since we're talking about Sequ here, I'd say he pulled it directly from his anal orifice.

2Cleva
09-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Wow. So many people want to believe Kobe raped her so bad its pitiful. No one with sense is buying that the DA had a case against a rapist and was willing to let him walk free because someone had an upset tummy after 14 months. Please.

And Kobe didn't pay her off. If he did, her lawyers wouldn't be on Good Morning America and making the rest of the news rounds trying to plea their case and cover the false accuser's ass.

And as for that article - full of lies proven in court.

Sexual-assault experts were going to testify that the
woman had severe genital lacerations, including what's
called "battering ram" injuries that are found in violent
rapes.

It sure wasn't going to be the SANE nurses (nurse who examined her at the rape exam) or Dr Baden. Both had decided to testify for the defense.

The alleged victim told the first person she saw after
her time with Bryant that "He choked me."

Wrong again. First person she saw was her boss - which she
didn't even bring up the issue with. The same boss who said
she looked fine, that the police didn't want a statement
from yet she gave anyway. Yes, she would have testified in
court. This "outcry witness" for the prosecution is her
former boyfriend the bellboy who she slept with before.

There is no mysterious "Mr. X" who had sex with the woman
in the 15 hours after she was with Bryant and before her
rape exam. In fact, there was no sperm or semen found inside
the woman, and that found on her yellow underwear was
because she had worn them after a consensual sexual liaison
on June 18.

DNA evidence and science be damned I guess.

Jury selection was going well, and prosecutors were
confident they would find a good panel.

85% of the potential jurors polled said they believed Kobe
was either "innocent" or "likely innocent".

Then the woman went to her bedroom and pulled on a blue
tank top and yellow underwear she found in an overnight bag
by her bed - the underwear she had worn after a sexual
liaison on June 18, her 19th birthday, Easter said.

Kate originally testified to putting on clean underwear. Now she conviently put on dirty ones? Please

Read the court transcripts. Read the motions. Read the rulings and then you'll have the truth. But many like just following whatever they want to believe.

:next3

2Cleva
09-09-2004, 11:12 AM
There is so much to this case that the general public doesn't know because they don't care to research it.

For example, the prosecution made a motion the last week of the proceedings to have their DNA expert remain annonymous throughout the whole process - even to the jury. What kind of mess is that?

1Parker1
09-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Like I've said before, I think Kobe is just one of those players that people love to hate. I think that's why so many people are pissed that he got off easy. Personally, I'm just glad for it all to be over. Kobe has talent, and is a lot of fun to watch.

ducks
09-09-2004, 08:51 PM
ok lets not say it is kobe
lets say it is a talented guy
lets say he is in the top 10 players in nba for having talent
should he get off so we can watch him as fans since he has talent?

I for one was a fan of kobe
I thought he brought MORE to lakers then shaq
I do not hate kobe
I think what he did was wrong and I would rather see a trial then what happened
they already spent 400,000 why not go thru with it?
I would have rather lived with a non gulity verdict then this.

Spurminator
09-09-2004, 09:04 PM
should he get off so we can watch him as fans since he has talent?

If there's not enough evidence to convict him, or if the accuser is unwilling to move forward with the trial, then yes.

ducks
09-09-2004, 09:16 PM
he should get off if he is innocent only
NOT because he has talent

if he was the greatest player ever to play the game and he raped a women he should pay for it

Spurminator
09-09-2004, 11:55 PM
he should get off if he is innocent only
NOT because he has talent

Who said it was about talent?

If there's no case, there's no case. You seem to want to convict him because of his celebrity.

If this was some average Joe Steelworker, and he was accused of rape but the accuser backed out before trial, would you be upset that the defendant got off?

2Cleva
09-10-2004, 01:22 AM
If there's no case, there's no case. You seem to want to convict him because of his celebrity.

If this was some average Joe Steelworker, and he was accused of rape but the accuser backed out before trial, would you be upset that the defendant got off?

Exactly. The fact that he was a celebrity is the reason the case went on as long as it did. If this was Joe Schmoe with the same evidence for and against him, no way charges are even brought forth, let alone it go to trial.

The case was dropped because the prosecution knew they had no shot of winning. So what she was sick? She still could have been subpenoed to get a criminal behind bars if thats what they could prove.

But the prosecution/police dept shot themselves in the foot from the start
- not preforming the DNA tests until months later.
- not checking the background of the accuser and taking her word for everything.
- having a racist mindset by ordering hangmen t-shirts.
- not properly checking the crime scene.
- rushing behind the DA's back to get a warrant then pulling Kobe back in town and making the news public when it was originally agreed upon to be kept quiet by the DA until the evidence was analyzed.

And on and on and on. You mix a bad investigation, with a prosecution team trying to get famous more so than searching for the truth and add only one witness who has more skeletons in her closet than a mortuary then combine that by accusing one of the most popular athletes in the world of one of the worse possible crimes and you have the perfect cocktail for disaster.

SequSpur
09-10-2004, 02:05 AM
Bullshit.

That mofo is just as guilty as OJ is. Kobe's defense team went media and imo broke fucking rape shield laws and those fucks should be held accountable.

Look, you are a fan of a team with no morals, a team with a rapist and a team that is soon to be the doormat of the NBA.

Also, if you had a daughter and she got kobied in a hotel room in Colorado, would you have the same opinion?

You have no argument, that mofo is a rapist.

And you are a rapist lova.

Blow me.

Kevin Kaster
09-10-2004, 02:07 AM
You think that’s bad, you should read (if you already haven’t) some of the early pre-trial hearings from last year; Judge Ruckriegle tore Hulbert apart for not following protocol or being on time. That was the first of several clues that signaled how clueless this prosecution was.

And honestly, who the hell drops a case that is supposedly as strong as Easter claims it is in this article simply because the accuser dropped out? It's a blow to their case, sure, but it hardly destroys their case when you can subpoena her and when you (supposedly) have all this physical evidence and testimony that the defense (supposedly) doesn’t. But of course, Easter was just talking out of her butt, a lot of what she said is directly contradicted in one way or another by what the defense claims to have had during the pre-trial hearings. So, unless Easter has reason to believe the defense team is lying, I don’t see why she went public with this information, except maybe to veil the Colorado DA’s ineptitude.

Anyway, there are so many holes in the prosecution's case and story (and some in Kobe's too) that I very much doubt we’ll ever know the real truth.

Kevin Kaster
09-10-2004, 02:12 AM
Bullshit.

That mofo is just as guilty as OJ is. Kobe's defense team went media and imo broke fucking rape shield laws and those fucks should be held accountable.

There is no "IMO" when you have no evidence that the defense team leaked the accuser's private life. Especially since the judge himself admitted to accidentally allowing the information to leak. :rolleyes

Look, you are a fan of a team with no morals, a team with a rapist and a team that is soon to be the doormat of the NBA.

Same things were said last year, except now Kobe's case is dropped and the Spurs were back door swept by a Lakers squad that didn't care.

Also, if you had a daughter and she got kobied in a hotel room in Colorado, would you have the same opinion?

If she slept with someone after being raped I'd ask her why I should believe anything she has to say. I highly suggest reading next time.

Blow me.

I thought you were a woman?

SequSpur
09-10-2004, 02:13 AM
Kobe is a rapist.

:next3

Kevin Kaster
09-10-2004, 02:23 AM
So Sequ is a woman?

SequSpur
09-10-2004, 02:29 AM
Quit while your ahead.

Rapist lova.

Tawnia79
09-10-2004, 03:17 AM

again, I ask myself why I even read your posts...

First off, I challenge you to find just one article where one of Kobe's attorneys talked about any of the evidence to the media during the course of this trial. All of the leaks that the media reported on were either attributed to their own investigations, by the fact that they were allowed to be in open court hearings, or through the mistakes made by members of the COURT, not the defense team.

Secondly, and this kills me, why on earth does anyone believe rape shield laws were broken??? THE JUDGE admitted the woman's sexual history within a very relevant timeframe. Nothing was broken, nothing was done illegally, it was all within the limits of the law.

Seriously, why don't you read at least one article on the case before you open that huge hole in your head and start spewing out nonsense?

Kevin Kaster
09-10-2004, 03:54 AM
Quit while your ahead.

Rapist lova.

A compliment coming from someone who's openly derided on his own board for not being a loyal Spurs fan.