PDA

View Full Version : Is Tim Duncan Responsible for Matt Bonner's Breakout Success?

Embedded
04-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Remember the first game when Matt Bonner did that floater over Dwight Coward, then the cameras showed after that play TIm Duncan giving him a long talk of encouragement, tapping him on the head? Is this the result of a moment of tremendous leadership? IF so, if Matt Bonner did blossom after that, then I think he might carry this throughout the playoffs. Matt Bonner has never gotten this level of press before. THis is great to see.

Knoxxx
04-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Bonner is a great guy by all accounts. His problem is that he disappears in the playoffs COMPLETELY and has done so every year. His 3 point shot vanishes and he becomes unplayable in tightened playoff rotations against the other team's top 7-8 players. We all know this.

We also know that despite his limitations he has some game and has proven that in the regular reason. Great three point shooter, gives strong effort, has that running one handed shot when run off the 3 PT line, and a pretty smart player.

So in conclusion, great to see him holding his own against the Lakers bigs and frankly outplaying Splitter considerably. I agree that this is great to see for all Spurs fans, let's hope he keeps it up and Splitter ups his game as well.

Two10Whitey
04-25-2013, 10:42 PM
His 3 point shot vanishes and he becomes unplayable in tightened playoff rotations against the other team's top 7-8 players.

Same reason Danny Green can't hang. At least Bonner has his little running hook and improved defense. It's great to see Matty playing well but I'm still not convinced.

Spur|n|Austin
04-25-2013, 10:49 PM
TD is responsible for most his teammates' success, tbh.

Trainwreck2100
04-25-2013, 10:53 PM
If anything is the reason for it, it's the three point contest. Almost every eye in the basketball world was on him and he delivered so maybe that snapped him out of it.

KaiRMD1
04-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Matt Bonner has never gotten this level of press before. THis is great to see.

When that kid got suspended for getting a Matt Bonner shaved in his hair, that was the most press Matt Bonner had gotten

Sean Cagney
04-26-2013, 12:24 AM
TD is responsible for most his teammates' success, tbh.

^^^^^^^^^^ This.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2013, 12:25 AM
:lol Not sure if OP is trolling, tbh..

DarrinS
04-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Still drives me nuts when he passes up an open look.

BadOne
04-26-2013, 07:55 AM
The guy has managed not to get completely murdered by Dwight Howard, I wouldn't exactly call that "Breakout Success". We all know he's out there to shoot 3's. In the playoffs, he disappears.

100%duncan
04-26-2013, 08:50 AM
The guy has managed not to get completely murdered by Dwight Howard, I wouldn't exactly call that "Breakout Success". We all know he's out there to shoot 3's. In the playoffs, he disappears.

You do realize that the last 2 games where he's played even/outplayed Howard are in the playoffs? Stop trying to sound realistic and "smart" because you end up looking like a dumb motherfucker who didn't watch games 1 and 2.

SupremeGuy
04-26-2013, 09:35 AM
TD is responsible for most his teammates' success, tbh.Bingo.

Embedded
04-26-2013, 09:41 AM
He's not shooting threes from the paint that he's guarding on the defensive end. I am really proud of him. This series is ours, no doubt, and I hope that fact can settle down the nerves Matt Bonner and Danny Green. Corey Joseph has been seemingly unfazed by the playoffs, that is excellent.

xellos88330
04-26-2013, 09:48 AM
I hope Bonner can keep this up. That is all.

michaelwcho
04-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Photoshop thread?

https://www.google.com/search?q=white+man+can't+jump+woody&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7RNQN_enUS483&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UJR6UbrkMu2C2gX-m4GoAQ&ved=0CEoQsAQ&biw=1145&bih=649#imgrc=vF20ku5Akph1FM%3A%3BjQc40vQfigTKzM%3 Bhttp%253A%252F%252F25.media.tumblr.com%252F159189 4bfea79637e03f3fa950bf61d7%252Ftumblr_mfsgra6rBp1r m3tuto1_500.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tumblr.co m%252Ftagged%252Fwhite%252520men%252520can't%25252 0jump%3B468%3B619

Old School 44
04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
If anything is the reason for it, it's the three point contest. Almost every eye in the basketball world was on him and he delivered so maybe that snapped him out of it.
Yep...that's what I mentioned in another thread. Still needs to show if he can do it against a better perimeter defending team. But at this point, I'm sure the Spurs will take what they can get! Go Red Mamba!

rasho8
04-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Still drives me nuts when he passes up an open look.

The problem is its not actually open. Watch his three mechanics, he keeps his arms really low and releases his shot really low. Its ridiculously accurate but anyone even close to his size can block it since he has such a low release. So if someone is within 5 feet of him and running with his hands up it isnt actually an open shot based on where his release is. It would be more like Patty Mills being rushed by KD and trying to shoot a 3 over him.

Matt has added his little dribble forward move as the person flies by trying to block the 3 to compensate for that and it has been successful. If he could master a crazy Manu style fake to get them to leave their feet and do a side step he would be killing it.

DJB
04-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Yes, Tim Duncan simply taps his teammates on the head and they become hall of famers, tbh.

Maddog
04-26-2013, 01:26 PM
The problem is its not actually open. Watch his three mechanics, he keeps his arms really low and releases his shot really low. Its ridiculously accurate but anyone even close to his size can block it since he has such a low release. So if someone is within 5 feet of him and running with his hands up it isnt actually an open shot based on where his release is. It would be more like Patty Mills being rushed by KD and trying to shoot a 3 over him.

Matt has added his little dribble forward move as the person flies by trying to block the 3 to compensate for that and it has been successful. If he could master a crazy Manu style fake to get them to leave their feet and do a side step he would be killing it.

I've always felt that this was one of the reasons he fails so miserably in the playoffs. Defenders close out harder in the playoffs than regular season and the margin of error to get his shot off is so small. Now that he has a "salvage move" maybe he is more relaxed.

ploto
04-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Bonner is successful against two slow big men who can not cover the perimeter. Plain and simple.

Richie
04-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Bonner is fools gold. I'm happy while it lasts but there will come a point where his play will fall off a cliff.

Having said that, I don't think there's a player I'm happier to see do well. Bonner seems really, really likeable.

Johnny RIngo
04-26-2013, 03:48 PM
After watching Matty fail the past five years, it's about time he had a decent series. Then again, every post-season choke artist has one or two good series in his career.

PingPong
04-26-2013, 04:34 PM

This. getting the second place in a all league contest can boost anyone's self-confidence.

Old School 44
04-26-2013, 05:50 PM
I thought this nugget from Grantland's weekend playoff preview was kind of sad. Just confirms everyone knows of Bonner's playoff past. The article is actually complimenting Bonner's play and the Lakers poor defense which leads to this note.

(Note: This is not super encouraging in the long run, since competent defenses taking Bonner out of games, and eventually out of Gregg Popovich's rotation, is an annual playoff tradition at this point.)

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9215198/do-die-playoff-questions-boston-celtics-atlanta-hawks-more

DMC
04-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Bonner made his shots. If he misses those threes he goes into his shell and doesn't come out until next season. His confidence is on a moment by moment basis. He doesn't have short term memory like great shooters should.

mercos
04-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Duncan is responsible for the whole franchise's success. On this small scale though, I think Bonner's development of a little running hook is a big reason he is more successful. As others have pointed out, defensive rotations get tighter in the playoffs, leaving Matt Bonner's low release shot very vulnerable to being blocked. Having guys run at you also makes it easier to miss. After seeing him compete so well in the three point contest, I feel the whole choker label was unfairly given. Defenses played him tighter in the playoffs, and he was brought back down to Earth. This year his game evolved a bit, and he is having more success.

BadOne
04-26-2013, 07:23 PM
You do realize that the last 2 games where he's played even/outplayed Howard are in the playoffs? Stop trying to sound realistic and "smart" because you end up looking like a dumb motherfucker who didn't watch games 1 and 2.

ROFL. :lol

Stay classy bro. Watched em both and saw what you saw. Bonner took advantage of a quitting over rated fool, who doesn't want to be there. Bonner's out there to "spread the floor" according to Pop. He's passed up open threes during this series, which tells me he's lacking confidence. Realism = His past performance in the playoffs. Numbers don't lie bro. Didn't mean to offend your man crush for Matty bro.

Arcadian
04-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Probably. Let's just assume yes. He's Tim Duncan; he makes everyone better.

therealtruth
04-26-2013, 08:30 PM
A realistic view of things is yes Bonner is playing better but the Lakers have also been bad at defending the 3pt shot. We don't know what Bonner will do when we go against an athletic team.

100%duncan
04-26-2013, 09:05 PM
ROFL. :lol

Stay classy bro. Watched em both and saw what you saw. Bonner took advantage of a quitting over rated fool, who doesn't want to be there. Bonner's out there to "spread the floor" according to Pop. He's passed up open threes during this series, which tells me he's lacking confidence. Realism = His past performance in the playoffs. Numbers don't lie bro. Didn't mean to offend your man crush for Matty bro.
Realism is about the present. And yup you are a dumb noob, because you know what? I actually am one of Bonner's biggest hater. Just calling it how I see it. And nope, don't call me bro we're not close. :lol

BadOne
04-27-2013, 12:42 AM
Realism is about the present. And yup you are a dumb noob, because you know what? I actually am one of Bonner's biggest hater. Just calling it how I see it. And nope, don't call me bro we're not close. :lol

Ok brah! :lol

100%duncan
04-27-2013, 12:53 AM
Ok brah! :lol

You are not my brah tbh.

BillMc
04-27-2013, 12:56 AM
That picture of Duncan smiling at a po'ed Howard in 100%Duncan's signature is priceless!!:toast

SpursRock20
04-27-2013, 12:58 AM
That picture of Duncan smiling at a po'ed Howard in 100%Duncan's signature is priceless!!:toast

Can anyone tell what Howard is even saying? :lmao

BadOne
04-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Can anyone tell what Howard is even saying? :lmao

It looks like he's saying "F*** you man!"

:lmao Agreed...this is priceless.