PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Gasol since the achilles

Bynumite
04-26-2013, 03:35 AM
We all know spurfan's favorite hobby is to constantly put Kobe's numbers under the microscope and dissect them to exhaustion but let's have a look at Pau's numbers during the Lakers last 4 games without Kobe:

22/64, Gasol is shooting 34% from the field since Kobe's injury.

3 for 17 vs SAS
7 for 17 vs HOU
7 for 16 vs SAS game 1
5 for 14 vs SAS game 2

As expected Gasol's numbers dropped without Kobe constanly attracting double teams and spoon feeding Pau for open jumpers and on the pick and roll.

I hope he has a dominant game back @ Staples but it's a known fact that spurfan likes to overrate him. Going so far as to say he was the Lakers MVP during the repeat years and that the Lakers are a better team without Kobe on the court.

Imo he was always the perfect 2nd banana, the perfect complement to Kobe's game as we can see from his numbers dropping and overall playoff record without Kobe.

100%duncan
04-26-2013, 03:37 AM
How's bynum's knee/s tbh?

Thebesteva
04-26-2013, 03:39 AM
The Kobe Bryant from 2008-2011 made his teammates better, the proof is in the pudding. I hate stats because they rarely show the real story, but look at how well Ariza, Odom, Gasol, Artest, and Fisher played side by side with Kobe. Yes, he is a player unlike Lebron, who requires Phil Jackson and a solid system to make his teammates better, but when he has that element he is a great teammate to play for.

Unfortunately, when he has coaches like Brown and D'antoni, beta-males with no effective system, he becomes that chucker that is hard to be a fan of.

Thebesteva
04-26-2013, 03:40 AM
How's bynum's knee/s tbh?

http://lynndove.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/broken_glass_s.jpg

spurraider21
04-26-2013, 04:06 AM
We all know spurfan's favorite hobby is to constantly put Kobe's numbers under the microscope and dissect them to exhaustion but let's have a look at Pau's numbers during the Lakers last 4 games without Kobe:

22/64, Gasol is shooting 34% from the field since Kobe's injury.

3 for 17 vs SAS
7 for 17 vs HOU
7 for 16 vs SAS game 1
5 for 14 vs SAS game 2

As expected Gasol's numbers dropped without Kobe constanly attracting double teams and spoon feeding Pau for open jumpers and on the pick and roll.

I hope he has a dominant game back @ Staples but it's a known fact that spurfan likes to overrate him. Going so far as to say he was the Lakers MVP during the repeat years and that the Lakers are a better team without Kobe on the court.

Imo he was always the perfect 2nd banana, the perfect complement to Kobe's game as we can see from his numbers dropping and overall playoff record without Kobe.

to be fair in 3 of those games he was being guarded by the GOAT defensive power forward

baseline bum
04-26-2013, 04:19 AM
to be fair in 3 of those games he was being guarded by the GOAT defensive power forward

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001115161/bigstockphoto_hammer_striking_nail_w_sparks_333329 _answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

whitemamba
04-26-2013, 04:21 AM
bynumite with the goods..

wonder how spurfan is going to :spin this one, "dont blame pau" :lol

Brazil
04-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Just Duncan doin work. Nothing to do with KobeKobe

Leetonidas
04-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Lakerfan with the built in excuse

ambchang
04-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Typical Laker fans ignoring the contributions of MVPau.

Sure he sucked at shooting, but when you look at the numbers, he averaged 14.75 rebounds (that's playing next to the top rebounder in the league every game and across the best PF of all time in 3 out of the 4 games), 3.5 assists, 1.5 steals and 2 blks.

Without Achilles playing next to him, MVPau has to adjust to suddenly getting the ball when he's opened (hey, after years of not expecting the ball, can you blame him?), and it's a really small sample size right now.

On the other hand, without having to cover for penetrating perimeter players, Gasol is finally in position to get defensive rebounds (though there are now less offensive rebounds), and managed to grab an amazing 14.75 a game. He is also putting up solid numbers in assists, blks and stls as a PF, carrying the Lakers to a 2 for 2 record against two extremely tough teams (1 the #8 seed, and 3 games against the #2 seed).

Guess what the LAL record is against the other 7 WC seeds for the season. Come on, guess. It's a dismal 9 for 17.

Now guess what the LAL record is against the other 7 WC seeds for the season is when MVPau is playing? It's a respectable, if not spectacular, record of 9 for 9.

Do you see anything interesting? Right, you are right, all of those 9 games the LAL won against the other WC teams during the regular season? The LAL had MVPau in them. Without MVPau? They actually won ZERO, yes, 0, games against any WC playoff teams in EIGHT tries. That's right, 0-8.

Without Achilles? 2-0.

Now tell me who the real leader of the team is.

EDIT: BTW, 34%>25%

Bynumite
04-26-2013, 08:58 AM
^lol, suddenly regular season wins are the end all, be all stat. Still waiting for the Lakers team leader Gasol to man the fuck up and pop his playoff cherry without Kobe.

The spurs are doing a good job with the help defense on our bigs but 34% from the field is pretty mediocre for a 7 footer.

At the end of the day you either play good defense or put the ball in the basket and Gasol is doing none of those things consistently.

ambchang
04-26-2013, 09:00 AM
^lol, suddenly regular season wins are the end all, be all stat. Still waiting for the Lakers team leader Gasol to man the fuck up and pop his playoff cherry without Kobe.

The spurs are doing a good job with the help defense on our bigs but 34% from the field is pretty mediocre for a 7 footer.

At the end of the day you either play good defense or put the ball in the basket and Gasol is doing none of those things consistently.

What do you mean suddenly? I have been talking about regular season wins for the last decade. Did you not see the Winshares thread, or is it that you don't understand how WS works and my rationale of using it to determine the worth of a player?

Hey if 25% from a perimeter player being guarded one on one by a player who is not known to be a defensive juggernaut is enough to win the FMVP, 34% is pretty damn good.

Latarian Milton
04-26-2013, 09:02 AM
dude never won a single game in the playoffs as the #1 of his team imho, spurs will let the trend continue

AaronY
04-26-2013, 09:50 AM
There is some truth to this thread as much as I hate to admit it..if you look at Gasol's career numbers his fg% skyrocketed when he joined the Lakers: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolpa01.html?mobile=false

dunkman
04-26-2013, 10:01 AM
There is a reason why 7-8th seeded teams got into that position. While there were cases of teams catching fire late in the RS, in most of the cases those teams are seeded like that because they aren't good. They normally, barring late RS injuries, face much better teams and the outcome can be a sweep. In first round that's frequent.

AaronY
04-26-2013, 10:06 AM
There is a reason why 7-8th seeded teams got into that position. While there were cases of teams catching fire late in the RS, in most of the cases those teams are seeded like that because they aren't good. They normally, barring late RS injuries, face much better teams and the outcome can be a sweep. In first round that's frequent.
Thats why I like coming to this forum..I learn something new every day..

Mugen
04-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Let's get this bad boy to 6 pages.

Latarian Milton
04-26-2013, 10:23 AM
pau's playoff record as the #1 of his team now stands at 0-14, and will turn 0-16 by the end of this series. dude's playoff hymen is probably even more intact than t-mac's tbh

Captivus
04-26-2013, 10:40 AM
The day is november 13, 2012.
Kobe and Gasol play a game agasint the Spurs.

Gasol FG%.....30% (3/10).

So actually, he is getting better without Kobe, when playing against the GOAT PF.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201211130LAL.html

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Pau Gasol is currently past his prime, injured and playing on a team that doesn't utilize his skill set, tbh, even with Rapist out of the lineup..

Let's take a look at Pau's numbers in games Kobe has missed, from 2007-2008 until D'Antoni's arrival..

Bryant missed 18 games during this stretch with Pau in the lineup..

Gasol's numbers were 19 PPG on 51% shooting, which was slightly lower than his usual efficiency, which is expected as you switch to the #1 option and your starting SG is replaced by a mediocre player..

His rebounds remained steady at 10.4 per game, and his assist numbers during this span were an elite 4 APG, very impressive for a big man..

More importantly, the Lakers record during these games was 11-5, hardly missing Bryant, tbh..

Regular season games aren't of paramount importance, but we don't have a sample size of Gasol in playoff games without Kobe in a system that utilizes him properly, tbh..he deserves some criticism for not playing great so far, but he's playing against Duncan, his team's guards are terrible, and he's still being forced to shoot from outside..

dunkman
04-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Thats why I like coming to this forum..I learn something new every day..

:lol

DeadlyDynasty
04-27-2013, 06:49 PM
All we can fairly ask of Gasol is to win one playoff game without Kobe. Apparently dets too much to ask though...

AaronY
04-27-2013, 06:52 PM
All we can fairly ask of Gasol is to win one playoff game without Kobe. Apparently dets too much to ask though...
It's Kobe's fault he can't win a playoff game on his own IMO

DeadlyDynasty
04-27-2013, 07:04 PM
It's Kobe's fault he can't win a playoff game on his own IMO
This old lady cut me off on US-1 today.

It was Kobe's fault.

Brunodf
04-27-2013, 07:20 PM
This

Bynumite
04-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Swept while never losing by less than 10 points... that's my Pau.

But it's my fault tbh, i should have lowered my standards and asked for close losses instead of one simple W without Kobe.

0-16 smh.

midnightpulp
04-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Blaming the wrong dude. Your love Daaaawhite and that fucktard D'Antoni should be receiving the brunt of Laker fan criticism.

7 points, 5TOs, and baited into an ejection against Aron Baynes.

But let's blame Pau!

Bynumite
04-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Blaming the wrong dude. Your love Daaaawhite and that fucktard D'Antoni should be receiving the brunt of Laker fan criticism.

7 points, 5TOs, and baited into an ejection against Aron Baynes.

But let's blame Pau!

I'm not blaming the spanish vagina, i was simply asking for one measly win without Kobe.

I really thought i wasn't asking for too much, apparently i was wrong.

midnightpulp
04-28-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm not blaming the spanish vagina, i was simply asking for one measly win without Kobe.

I really thought i wasn't asking for too much, apparently i was wrong.

Why couldn't the chimp step up?

This was supposed to "his team," following the Achilles.

In Pau's defense, he's 32 years old, has tons of basketball mileage, suffering from PF and knee tendinitis, while "the next great Laker big," is in the prime of his life and supposedly healthy. And he responds with 7 points against Aron fuckin' Baynes?

I sincerely hope your Dwight Howard jersey finds itself in a fire pit tonight.

HarlemHeat37
04-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Really hoping LA amnesties Pau, tbh..

He would look great on the Spurs, and our fanbase would show him the respect he deserves, tbh:(..

lmbebo
04-28-2013, 08:55 PM
When your backcourt is decimated by injuries, a coach who never plays his bench really and you got a starting center with emotional center of a 12 year old girl. How do you expect Pau to win?

Pau competed hard and gave everything he had. But there was no team play and not enough talent.

Plus you got a lousy coach ...

HI-FI
04-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Really hoping LA amnesties Pau, tbh..

He would look great on the Spurs, and our fanbase would show him the respect he deserves, tbh:(..

+1000

i've been saying the same on here since i got on here. I've always respected what MVPau brought to the table, even though Laker fan throws him under the Kobe bus.

He would be respected here and utilized the right way. Plus nigga could speak in his native tongue.

TDMVPDPOY
04-28-2013, 08:57 PM
+1000

i've been saying the same on here since i got on here. I've always respected what MVPau brought to the table, even though Laker fan throws him under the Kobe bus.

He would be respected here and utilized the right way. Plus nigga could speak in his native tongue.

take him over that turd blair and bonner

whats the spurs payroll like for the summer?

HI-FI
04-28-2013, 09:02 PM
take him over that turd blair and bonner

whats the spurs payroll like for the summer?

fuck if I know. CBA shit is like my kryptonite.