PDA

View Full Version : Russel Westbrook has Knee Surgery - Out for the Playoffs

jdelar03
04-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Just heard on sports radio houston westbrook to undergo surgery for knee injury.

dynamodr3w
04-26-2013, 11:45 AM
arthroscopic surgery..it is just cleaning out the torn tissue of the lateral horn which is not serious. He can be back within 7-14 days, or even sooner depending on comfort. Not a major surgery. Just two small little incisions. I don't know why they are saying out for playoffs, I don't think thats valid...but who knows.

Fireball
04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
what? cannot believe this ... but I remember the situation in the Houston game where the injury could have happenend ...

dougp
04-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Didn't Kobe or DWade have this done last year? Thought someone did, and they were back in the next series.

Bill_Brasky
World Peace had this done about 2 weeks before the season ended, not a serious procedure though it will definitely mess with his game if he tries to come back sooner.

DarrinS
woah

Fireball
04-26-2013, 11:49 AM
it will be intresting what consequences this has for OKCs series against Houston ... Westbrook has not missed a game in years

Leetonidas
04-26-2013, 11:50 AM
He has a torn meniscus. He's going to be out for a little bit but I'm sure he'll be back. Anyway, it bodes well for the Spurs, although the excuses for this season are starting to really pile up for the opposition

Cane
04-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Yikes

Although like already mentioned MWP has come back early from this surgery and so did Brandon Roy

Sucks for Westbrook who was an ironman

Harden trade ftl.....or maybe ftw for the silver and black *knocks on wood

Cory Joseph
04-26-2013, 11:51 AM
They're saying no timetable has been set.

jiggy_55
04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Please fix that title.. no timetable has been set!

Fabbs
04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Regardless, it's going to mess up the Thunder for Round 2.

romain.star
04-26-2013, 11:55 AM
1/ At last, OKC will experience what SAS has been through many times in the past

2/ Lebron is still healthy...

emanueldavidginobili
04-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Don't get people excited with the thread title!!, but yeah MWP came back in like 12 days I think for the same thing. RW has never missed a game ever, middle school, AAU, High School, College NBA, pretty remarkable seeing how the way he plays.

davidbowie
i dont want it this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silverblk mystix
Regardless, it's going to mess up the Thunder for Round 2.

This could be a break for the Rockets and/or the Clips in the next round.

Uriel
Richard Brushett ‏@Killerrocky 5m danmccarneysaen I'm hearing that Westbrook is out 4 postseason with a torn meniscus. Friend of mine works w/ team doctor. OKCThunderProbs

Uriel
Richard Brushett ‏@Killerrocky 5m danmccarneysaen I'm hearing that Westbrook is out 4 postseason with a torn meniscus. Friend of mine works w/ team doctor. OKCThunderProbs

Splits
04-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Terrible news, feel so bad for this poor, injury-plagued team

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2013, 11:57 AM
http://static.cdn-seekingalpha.com/uploads/2012/10/17/saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

Mugen
04-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Welcome to the real world NBA, Thunderfan.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2013, 11:59 AM
If true, there's absolutely no excuse for the Spurs to not win the West, tbh..

The realization that Westbrook is out should boost their confidence and belief, tbh, there shouldn't be any doubt in the Spurs locker room that another team in the West can beat them, tbh..

SpursBills
04-26-2013, 11:59 AM
would make sense that he'd be out for the season - torn meniscus in younger patients sometimes means that they're getting the meniscus repaired, which has a much longer recovery period than just cleaning out tissue

Joyrider
04-26-2013, 12:00 PM
So now will critics call this an asterisk season with all the injuries piling up??

BatManu20
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter (https://twitter.com/SportsCenter)9m (https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/327826243582038017)
BREAKING: Thunder G Russell Westbrook will undergo surgery to repair lateral meniscus tear in knee. No timetable set for his return.

Welp.. Spurs-Heat Finals this year!!! Miami in 5 unfortunately.

DesignatedT
I would say at the earliest he'd be back for the NBA Finals IF they were to get there. This different surgery then World Peace and Westbrook has a huge future ahead of him and letting him return early could result in disaster. IMO he's done for the entire playoffs.

Uriel
WOOOHOOOOO! NBA FINALS BABY! BEST NEWS OF THE POSTSEASON.

http://static.cdn-seekingalpha.com/uploads/2012/10/17/saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg
:lol only if Lebron's ACL's explode

benefactor
04-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Welcome to our world, OKC.

Stay healthy Spurs.

BatManu20
04-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Unless Westbrook pulls an Artest and comes back in 2 weeks. Which I could definitely see.

BatManu20
04-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Pretty much tbh..

Floyd Pacquiao
04-26-2013, 12:05 PM
wow....injuries finally hit the thunder and at the worst possible time...no excuses spurs need to focus and take care of buisness these playoffs

will_spurs
RT @WojYahooNBA: One source close to OKC's Russell Westbrook on whether he could return from meniscus tear in this postseason: "Maybe."

Maybe, as I read it, means the Finals at best.

FvckMavs
Bad news. It will make our road to the finals even tougher.

Embedded
04-26-2013, 12:06 PM
I'd rather compete with the Thunder straight up, I don't like asterisks. And the Flakers situation has turned completely dysfunctional. We will get a chance to practice, and I hope Mr. McGrady (funny, he doesn't look Irish) and Mr. Baynes get some playoff time tonight. I saw the play where Houton's Beverly injured his knee, he was going to the corner and had signaled timeout, and Beverly went for the ball, banging into his knee.

DesignatedT
04-26-2013, 12:06 PM

Anything can happen once you get there but just getting back would be awesome.

Or are you one of those " you aint first your last, spurs should have blown it up 5 years ago" guys.

DPG21920
04-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Terrible news for WB and OKC, but the West is so wide open. All teams dealing with injuries and all teams have major flaws. Spurs absolutely need to get healthy and stay that way and they must have a sense of urgency. They cannot let this LA series linger.

Anyone can win the West, but Spurs have to love their chances. OKC should still beat HOU, but MEM/CLIPS will be tough.

emanueldavidginobili
04-26-2013, 12:08 PM
MWP came back in 2 weeks but the difference from RW and MWP is RW is all about explosion and athleticism, while MWP is the opposite and when he came back he looked pretty damn gimpy.

Mugen
04-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Stay healthy, SA.

BatManu20
I'm pulling for the Warriors over the Nuggets. I think they'd be an easier matchup for us in round 2. Then LAC or OKC in the WCF. Then we meet Miami in the Finals if all goes according to plan. We still lose in 5 though and lose our perfect 4-0 record in the NBA Finals.

DPG21920
How unbelievably massive is that Harden trade now? Not only did it lower their overall ceiling, but they could more than survive this with Harden there. Wow.

Stay healthy, SA.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-26-2013, 12:11 PM
*knocks on wood

romain.star
04-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Terrible news for WB and OKC, but the West is so wide open. All teams dealing with injuries and all teams have major flaws. Spurs absolutely need to get healthy and stay that way and they must have a sense of urgency. They cannot let this LA series linger.

Anyone can win the West, but Spurs have to love their chances. OKC should still beat HOU, but MEM/CLIPS will be tough.

This... And nobody talks much about Denver but that should be a tough serie too

Robz4000
04-26-2013, 12:12 PM
God damn.

Stay healthy, SA.

DPG21920
04-26-2013, 12:12 PM
This game tonight is so massive. Spurs need to grab this win. Denver/GS are both going to present some problems for very different reasons. Not sure who I'd prefer actually but I lean towards GS.

Sportcamper
04-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Congratulations to the Spurs organization and their die hard fans for making it to another NBA Finals…:toast

MmP
04-26-2013, 12:14 PM
If Westbrook is indeed out for the season, in a en eventual OKC - Spurs match up I still see OKC being a very difficult team. They're more experienced than last year, especially having HCA. I wouldn't say it's done deal for Spurs, at all.

Mugen
04-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Spurs need to sweep.

Pulling for Golden State & Memphis to advance now.

I think I prefer Memphis if the Spurs are able to advance to the WCF tbh.

Whisky Dog
04-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Can Lebron or Wade have an injury too? Hmmm

Horse
04-26-2013, 12:15 PM
If true, there's absolutely no excuse for the Spurs to not win the West, tbh..

The realization that Westbrook is out should boost their confidence and belief, tbh, there shouldn't be any doubt in the Spurs locker room that another team in the West can beat them, tbh..
Never discount stern and the lengths he'll go to. If this puts okc out that just means the clippers will get the special treatment.

emanueldavidginobili
04-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Actually now that I think of it, this might not be that bad for the Thunder. The Thunders poison was RW, and now KD is about to be UNLEASHED.

Dex
04-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Sucks for Chuckbrook.

:cry Who will lead the Thunder now? :cry

romain.star
04-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Had they kept Harden, they would have been forced to trade Ibaka so they were going to lower their ceiling no matter what

dbreiden83080
04-26-2013, 12:20 PM
He's not getting rushed back from this.. Rockets now have a real shot to even this up back in Houston. OKC has to be deflated..

FromWayDowntown
04-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Very disappointing for Russell Westbrook, the Thunder, and their fans. This place would explode if Tony Parker had to deal with that sort of thing during a playoff run, but at least we could all have the solace of having seen TP win the whole thing three times and look at the whole thing in light of that. Absolutely hate to see anything like this happen.

By the way, I'd guess that the Thunder will be very cautious with Westbrook's return. Sam Presti learned at the knee of Gregg Popovich whose caution with Tim Duncan in 2000 likely paid its dividends with the successes the Spurs continue to enjoy very late in Tim's career. My suspicion would be that Presti might trade their chances to win this year for greater assurance that Russell Westbrook will be whole next year and for many years to come.

Mugen
If Westbrook is indeed out for the season, in a en eventual OKC - Spurs match up I still see OKC being a very difficult team. They're more experienced than last year, especially having HCA. I wouldn't say it's done deal for Spurs, at all.

If the Spurs can't beat the Thunder without Westbrook/Harden, then they should blow it up this summer tbh.

Floyd Pacquiao
Heat versus Spurs, NBA Finals 2013

book it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Spurs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol don't jinx it

Dex
It's a good thing OKC shelled out for Ibaka so he can be their second scorer and playmaker...

Oh, wait...

Mugen
04-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Very disappointing for Russell Westbrook, the Thunder, and their fans. This place would explode if Tony Parker had to deal with that sort of thing during a playoff run, but at least we could all have the solace of having seen TP win the whole thing three times and look at the whole thing in light of that. Absolutely hate to see anything like this happen.

By the way, I'd guess that the Thunder will be very cautious with Westbrook's return. Sam Presti learned at the knee of Gregg Popovich whose caution with Tim Duncan in 2000 likely paid its dividends with the successes the Spurs continue to enjoy very late in Tim's career. My suspicion would be that Presti might trade their chances to win this year for greater assurance that Russell Westbrook will be whole next year and for many years to come.

I like Russ, his game, and even his personality tbh. He's an easy target and fun to poke at but I'm not happy for his injury like I was for the The Achilles tbh.

Sean Cagney
04-26-2013, 12:23 PM
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter (https://twitter.com/SportsCenter)9m (https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/327826243582038017)
BREAKING: Thunder G Russell Westbrook will undergo surgery to repair lateral meniscus tear in knee. No timetable set for his return.

Welp.. Spurs-Heat Finals this year!!! Miami in 5 unfortunately.

You have to get there first buddy. Spurs fans counting CHICKENS before they hatch again.

phxspurfan
Spurs have a long way to go to start thinking about OKC. They have to beat the Lakers and then a very good Denver or GS team. By the time all that is done Westbrick may be on the way back anyway. He is still young and will recover fast.

silverblk mystix
That Beverly kid from the Rockets should get a mvp nomination consideration tbh

just sayin'

Fireball
04-26-2013, 12:24 PM
cutewizard going nuts ...

G-Nob
Leonard has his first taste of the NBA Finals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tap the brakes, young buck.

BatManu20
Had they kept Harden, they would have been forced to trade Ibaka so they were going to lower their ceiling no matter what

SHould've traded Perkins and another role player. That would've freed up enough money to keep Harden, which they definitely should've done.

silverblk mystix
Spurs have a long way to go to start thinking about OKC. They have to beat the Lakers and then a very good Denver or GS team. By the time all that is done Westbrick may be on the way back anyway. He is still young and will recover fast.

This.

Spurs still need health and another gear to --NOT LOSE-- to the nuggets.

Dex
04-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Agreed. Chances are the Spurs will be facing Denver in the second round. They are a very dangerous team and very difficult to beat at home. The WCFs are far from a guarantee at this point, let alone the Finals.

Anything can happen once you get there but just getting back would be awesome.

Or are you one of those " you aint first your last, spurs should have blown it up 5 years ago" guys.
For this team, anything short of a championship is a failed season and the Spurs have had 5 of those. I think that is pretty obvious. Doesn't mean I can't root for them every year, I'm just a realist stating a fact. Or are you one of those "if you don't agree 100% with Spurs management, you aren't a Spurs fan" guys.

Embedded
Westbrick hasn't had surgery yet. OKC team doctors are in Houston. Timetable for return hasn't even started ticking yet. I don't know about this crop of uber-athletic guards (Westbrick, Rose), it seems like their explosiveness comes at a price.

emanueldavidginobili
04-26-2013, 12:27 PM
The Clippers are going to be tough this season. Everyone better stop saying the finals...even Denver wont be easy. But the Clippers with a healthy CP3 will be tough.

DesignatedT
04-26-2013, 12:27 PM
For this team, anything short of a championship is a failed season and the Spurs have had 5 of those. I think that is pretty obvious. Doesn't mean I can't root for them every year, I'm just a realist stating a fact. Or are you one of those "if you don't agree 100% with Spurs management, you aren't a Spurs fan" guys.

Lol what? People need to stfu with the "realist" shit. If the Spurs can't beat the Heat then nobody can. What do you want Spurs management to do about a superteam forming.

So you'd rather the Spurs blow it up and start rebuilding the last few years :lol. Like they could get back to this level of competition no problem.

If you aint first your last Ricky Bobby!!!!!! WCF means nothing! blow it up and tank for 1st pick!!

timvp
04-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Wow.

Some random thoughts:

1. I didn't know it was physically possible for Thunder players to get injured. I think their team missed a combine two games due to injury this year, tnbh.

2. I think Westbrook will be back at some point. After the procedure, most players report the pain is gone almost immediately. Many athletes have returned in the same week. So Westbrook shouldn't even be counted out for returning in the first round series. By the WCF, I can't imagine he'll be out unless there is more damage than isn't being reported.

3. The bigger impact for Westbrook will be the length of his career. A player like him who relies on athleticism will have trouble playing through the arthritic knee that will develop due to lack of meniscus. He should be okay for a handful of years but he could fall off a cliff at around 28 or 29.

4. This might work out well for OKC now that I think about it. They are going to have to ride Kevin Durant more than ever. But, honestly, they don't ride him enough as it is. If he explodes for some 40-50+ point games and then Westbrook comes back looking to pass more, they may be even tougher. As it is, the easiest way to beat OKC is to hope Westbrook goes cold and implodes with dumb shot after dumb shot.

Dex
04-26-2013, 12:28 PM
This also doesn't guarantee that OKC will be an easy out. Does it hurt their chances? Yes.

But in Durant, they have one of two guys in the league currently capable of going Jordan all over a playoff series (the other being Lebron). Now that KD doesn't have to defer to Westbrook, he's going to be on a mission to get his, and they still have some good pieces around them.

Still gotta play the games.

emanueldavidginobili
04-26-2013, 12:29 PM
The Doctor on ESPN just said if he doesn't need stiches or anything its 2,3,4 weeks. If he needs stiches hes out 6 to 8 weeks MINIMUM.

romain.star
04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
SHould've traded Perkins and another role player. That would've freed up enough money to keep Harden, which they definitely should've done.

My bad... However, giving up Perkins and a role player was not going to improve their ceiling anyway. That being said, retrospectively, yes sir, keeping Harden was the right thing to do

Mugen
04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Wow.

Some random thoughts:

1. I didn't know it was physically possible for Thunder players to get injured. I think their team missed a combine two games due to injury this year, tnbh.

2. I think Westbrook will be back at some point. After the procedure, most players report the pain is gone almost immediately. Many athletes have returned in the same week. So Westbrook shouldn't even be counted out for returning in the first round series. By the WCF, I can't imagine he'll be out unless there is more damage than isn't being reported.

3. The bigger impact for Westbrook will be the length of his career. A player like him who relies on athleticism will have trouble playing through the arthritic knee that will develop due to lack of meniscus. He should be okay for a handful of years but he could fall off a cliff at around 28 or 29.

4. This might work out well for OKC now that I think about it. They are going to have to ride Kevin Durant more than ever. But, honestly, they don't ride him enough as it is. If he explodes for some 40-50+ point games and then Westbrook comes back looking to pass more, they may be even tougher. As it is, the easiest way to beat OKC is to hope Westbrook goes cold and implodes with dumb shot after dumb shot.

I agree with #1 & #3 but i think you're way off with #2 & #4 tbh.

04-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Lol what? People need to stfu with the "realist" shit. If the Spurs can't beat the Heat then nobody can. What do you want Spurs management to do about a superteam forming.

So you'd rather the Spurs blow it up and start rebuilding the last few years :lol. Like they could get back to this level of competition no problem.
:lol keep burying your head in the sand, crossing your fingers hoping players from opposing teams gets injured. That's a wonderful strategy. One down, one more from the Heat to go. The Spurs have failed building a championship team the last 5 years. That is proven by the 0 championships they won the last 5 years. Why can't I criticize that?

hooperflash
04-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Now who was the one saying he was just being dramatic? :lol

DesignatedT
04-26-2013, 12:37 PM
:lol keep burying your head in the sand, crossing your fingers hoping players from opposing teams gets injured. That's a wonderful strategy. One down, one more from the Heat to go. The Spurs have failed building a championship team the last 5 years. That is proven by the 0 championships they won the last 5 years. Why can't I criticize that?

Never said you couldn't. but "LOL Lebrons ACLs have to explode" isn't criticizing anything. It's being a moron.

Sportcamper
04-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Spurs have a long way to go to start thinking about OKC. They have to beat the Lakers

Rumor has it that Stern is imposing T-Ball mercy rule & end the Lakers season after tonight's game...

Mugen
04-26-2013, 12:41 PM
-No way Presti doesn't shut him down for the rest of the playoffs IMO. He's 1/2 of their franchise for the next 10-15 years. It'd be ridiculous to risk his career for a chance to get stomped by Miami again tbh.

-Durant is an amazing player but the loss of Harden/Westbrook is just too much to overcome tbh. You can deal with Durant going off for 30-40 but now Russ isn't there to put up the same amount.

Man In Black
04-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Rumor has it, that it's a meniscus tear. Simply put, he has some frayed cartilage. If they tried to do a repair, he's out for 6 weeks minimally. I don't think he'll go that route. I think the surgeon will shave off the frayed parts so his cartilage is lessened but clear so there won't be any serious lingering pain. I've been in training rooms where a HS QB has Surgery to clear the frayed parts on Saturday, and he's back on the field by Friday the same week.

Having said that, we can use MWP as a model to show you it's possible that an athlete could come back sooner than expected but...even MWP admits his lateral quickness isn't there yet and I would expect the same from Westbrook. But, for him to have the surgery early means that Presti is rolling the dice that his team can still advance AND that Westbrook will be back in the playoffs at some point barring them getting eliminated prematurely.

Spurs-Eyes on the Prize-Focus only on TEAM!

phxspurfan
04-26-2013, 12:48 PM

This is along the lines of what I first thought. I have always thought the Thunder was one Westbrook trade away from realizing what they really have in Durant. For instance, if they traded Westbrook instead of Harden, they'd probably be right there with Miami in the stratosphere of unbeatable-ness. Imagine Durant with a PG that is more pass-friendly and still takes pressure off him and spaces the floor. Dude would average Wilt numbers.

Mugen
04-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Rumor has it, that it's a meniscus tear. Simply put, he has some frayed cartilage. If they tried to do a repair, he's out for 6 weeks minimally. I don't think he'll go that route. I think the surgeon will shave off the frayed parts so his cartilage is lessened but clear so there won't be any serious lingering pain. I've been in training rooms where a HS QB has Surgery to clear the frayed parts on Saturday, and he's back on the field by Friday the same week.

Having said that, we can use MWP as a model to show you it's possible that an athlete could come back sooner than expected but...even MWP admits his lateral quickness isn't there yet and I would expect the same from Westbrook. But, for him to have the surgery early means that Presti is rolling the dice that his team can still advance AND that Westbrook will be back in the playoffs at some point barring them getting eliminated prematurely.

Wasn't Brandon Roy coming back so shortly from his meniscus tear a big part of why he's out of the league now? I know he had major knee issues before but surely playing that soon couldnt have helped.

loveforthegame
04-26-2013, 12:54 PM
OKC is still a dangerous team should Westbrook be out for the playoffs.

Man In Black
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
True Brandon Roy has cartilage issues, but is main problem is that, in addition to the cartilage issues, he also has CHRONIC DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS.
In essence, his body is failing him even if he gets the surgery to clean up his cartilage. There is only so much until you are bone on bone. Then it's time to think about your family and such.
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/11/brandon-roy-has-degenerative-arthritis-in-his-knees/

SpurPadre
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Unless Westbrook pulls an Artest and comes back in 2 weeks. Which I could definitely see.

Unless he turns out to be a pussy like Derrick Rose, who was cleared to play over a month ago and has practiced several times since but still won't suit up for the Bulls, who have players dinged up and still playing.

dbestpro
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Well, I guess this is what they signed Fisher for.

bklynspursfan
04-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Pop sat Duncan for the 2000 playoffs with this injury, despite Tim saying he was ready to go. (running sprints and all) With someone of WB's importance to OKC & their future, wouldn't be out of the question to shut him down for the rest of the playoffs.

dbreiden83080
04-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Unless he turns out to be a pussy like Derrick Rose, who was cleared to play over a month ago and has practiced several times since but still won't suit up for the Bulls, who have players dinged up and still playing.

WTF is Rose problem? Someone give him Tim Duncan's number and he can tell Rose about playing on a bad knee for years and still manning up.. Rose is a punk..

superjames1992
04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
If it is serious, that just means more minutes for Spurs-killer Derek Fisher. Yuck. Yes, he's ancient, but he still manages to drill a million threes every time he plays the Spurs.

lefty
04-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Can Lebron or Wade have an injury too? Hmmm
I can make it happen :

Lebron and Wade will never get inured again !!!!!!!

SpurPadre
04-26-2013, 01:14 PM

Good point and if we thought Durant was a monster before, imagine him taking an additional 10 shots now. And as much shit as people give old man Fisher, he still loves to torture us and this will just give him more opportunities to hit annoying threes on us. Still, I'd rather play them at full strength and get fair revenge on them.

Venti Quattro
04-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Did I use the word "INTENTIONAL" anywhere in my fucking post? No, I never said it was fucking intentional, NBA athletes have enough respect for each other to not try and purposefully injure their peers; unless they're a fucking nutjob like Artest.

What I said was it was a "FUCKING STUPID DIRTY PLAY" and is the exact reason why you don't barrel through someone trying to steal the ball when you know they're about to call a timeout; I can understand it was an honest hustle play in the playoffs trying to make a difference, but you just don't fucking do it. You're not going to steal the ball before the ref awards a timeout, and the player is defenseless against contact; plus it negates any foul that may happen. It's the same fucking thing of hitting a player in the air from behind or under them; you just don't fucking do it. Of course a fucking no name punk ass rookie like Beverley wouldn't know any better; nor any of these lame ass bitches on here who haven't stepped on a hardwood court in their life.

SpurPadre
04-26-2013, 01:17 PM
WTF is Rose problem? Someone give him Tim Duncan's number and he can tell Rose about playing on a bad knee for years and still manning up.. Rose is a punk..

He's basically stealing money from the Bulls now, too.

will_spurs
04-26-2013, 01:18 PM

I really value your expertise on this (always great to read your takes) but the current reporting says he's going to go full repair, which could take him out of a while:

RT @WojYahooNBA: Hard to compare Westbrook/World Peace recoveries, b/c RW plays so much faster, more stress on knee. Strong chance Westbrook gets full repair
RT @Monroe_SA: Re. Westbrook injury relative to MWP, Metta's meniscus was removed, rather than repaired; he's back, but has NOT been the real MWP yet
RT @JMcDonald_SAEN: From what I understand, Metta had his damaged meniscus removed entirely, not repaired.

hater
04-26-2013, 01:34 PM

shhh how dare you bring sensibility and logic in here. Don't you know spursfan already celebrating Spurs - Heat finals? :lmao

rascal
04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
I have been saying all along the Spurs only shot at a title is injuries to the top teams. Expect a major injury in Miami now and the Spurs get their final title.

diego
04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Okc has never had to adapt their lineups and rotations before

And even if he comes back, Westbrook has never had to deal w/ the psychological aspect of recovering / playing injured.

this definitely weakens okc, not necessarily fatal but definitely weakens them

rascal
04-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Good point and if we thought Durant was a monster before, imagine him taking an additional 10 shots now. And as much shit as people give old man Fisher, he still loves to torture us and this will just give him more opportunities to hit annoying threes on us. Still, I'd rather play them at full strength and get fair revenge on them.

The Clippers are advancing to the WCF this year, OK City is finished this year.

DesignatedT
04-26-2013, 01:40 PM
shhh how dare you bring sensibility and logic in here. Don't you know spursfan already celebrating Spurs - Heat finals? :lmao

Out of this entire thread a total of 2 gnsf's are "celebrating" such thing. :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

maverick1948
04-26-2013, 01:45 PM
meniscus tear? How bad is it? Is it frayed or torn? If frayed it can be shaved and he can return in 1 to 2 weeks. But he will lose some of the jump and push off of that leg. Torn? That is a longer timetable. 6 to 8 weeks. I had torn meniscus. It was 3 days off of it completely. 2 weeks of walking thru crutches, not touching the ground. Then 2 weeks of walking with cruthches. Then walking for 2 weeks before starting rehab. Even now, I still have less mobility in that leg. I lost the explosion off the blocks when running. I lost the push from it. Yes he can cut that time some but not by much and the possibilty of addition injury is there if he comes back too quick.

Darius McCrary
04-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Westbrook is coming back from this, wtf

BatManu20
04-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Skip Bayless ‏@RealSkipBayless (https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless)4m (https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/327859556845772801)
For what it's worth, I had meniscus surgery on both knees. Running 1 wk later 1st time, 2 wks 2nd. Bet Westbrook misses no more than next rd

quentin_compson
04-26-2013, 02:09 PM
This sucks for the Thunder, but well, injuries are part of the game, although you wouldn't have thought this applied to OKC looking how healthy they have been so far.
It's going to be interesting how RW and the Thunder organisation deal with this. Rushing him back (which I am sure is what he would like to do, he is a competitor like that) might do some damage long term, and honestly, why shouldn't the Thunder at least reach the WCF for the next couple of years in a row. This team is young, they still have time.

DesignatedT
04-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Yeah, just depends on the severity of it. I just have a hard time seeing OKC letting Westbrook rush back from something like this and jeopardize his future.

ducks
04-26-2013, 02:22 PM
cp 3 8 points in a playoff game and 4 turnovers
clippers are toast if cp3 plays like that

jmanu20
04-26-2013, 02:27 PM
The Clippers are going to be tough this season. Everyone better stop saying the finals...even Denver wont be easy. But the Clippers with a healthy CP3 will be tough.

Regardless of what ESPN tries to tell you about that series last year, both CP3 AND BG were fine. They just didn't have enough pieces around them last year, plain and simple. Also, Del Negro is their coach.

A "healthy" CP3 scored 8 points last night. TP has torched him more than once this year. Will the Clippers be tough if they meet the Spurs? Definitely, but people need to stop saying he CP3 was hurt last season, because he wasn't.

Darius McCrary
04-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Ok well screw this celebratory stuff if this isn't a major injury
You guys are blowing this way outta proportion

emanueldavidginobili
04-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Lakers-No Kobe
Bulls-No Rose
Celtics-No Rondo
Nuggets-No Gallinari
Warriors-No Lee
Spurs-TP injured
Heat-EVERYONE HEALTHY...

Bruno
04-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Well, it sucks for him and OKC.

I'm waiting to see how much tie he will miss before burying the Thunder. Without Westbrook, Thunder should still beat Rockets but Clippers/Grizzlies should be too much. If Westbrook can come back in the middle of the second round, which is in about 2 weeks, they should be fine.

emanueldavidginobili
Lakers-No Kobe
Bulls-No Rose
Celtics-No Rondo
Nuggets-No Gallinari
Warriors-No Lee
Spurs-TP injured
Heat-EVERYONE HEALTHY...

Brunodf
If it is serious, that just means more minutes for Spurs-killer Derek Fisher. Yuck. Yes, he's ancient, but he still manages to drill a million threes every time he plays the Spurs.
Bro, OKC won't beat the Clips

emanueldavidginobili
04-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Regardless of what ESPN tries to tell you about that series last year, both CP3 AND BG were fine. They just didn't have enough pieces around them last year, plain and simple. Also, Del Negro is their coach.

A "healthy" CP3 scored 8 points last night. TP has torched him more than once this year. Will the Clippers be tough if they meet the Spurs? Definitely, but people need to stop saying he CP3 was hurt last season, because he wasn't.

Tony Allen was covering him, we don't have a Tony Allen, and yeah they didn't have enough pieces last year you're right, but now they have Jamal Crawford who can drop 30 any giving night they have Barnes who has been playing really good and gives you defense and can knock down the 3 and they have Eric Bledsoe who is another year better, It will be tough.

MmP
04-26-2013, 03:11 PM
None has adressed the fact that not having RW can affect the chemistry and morale of OKC, which have never faced this situation. Lets how they handle

phxspurfan
04-26-2013, 03:17 PM
True...if the NASF musings come true and Spurs then go on to win against the Heatles, the asterisk on this 'ship will be bigger than Wade's steroid jaw.

objective
04-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Doubt OKC beats Houston now.

RD2191
04-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Tony Allen was covering him, we don't have a Tony Allen, and yeah they didn't have enough pieces last year you're right, but now they have Jamal Crawford who can drop 30 any giving night they have Barnes who has been playing really good and gives you defense and can knock down the 3 and they have Eric Bledsoe who is another year better, It will be tough.

We have a Kawhi Leonard so fuckkkkkkk uuuu

wildbill2u
04-26-2013, 03:19 PM
You know he will try to come back asap. Good luck to him on his surgery.

SanDiegoSpursFan
04-26-2013, 03:21 PM
He got jinxed. Announcers started talking about our great road record at the beginning of the year, and we proceed to suck on the road. They talk about Westbrook being iron-man, and now he gets injured.

benstanfield
04-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Yet the Heat are still oddly without any significant injuries.

RD2191
04-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Errbody please stfu about the asterisk. Injuries are a part of the gme. Do the Lakers have an asterisk by
their first 2 titles in their 3peat? Tim Duncan went down in his first title defense ans Derek Anderson went down in the 2000-01 playoffs.

superjames1992
04-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Bro, OKC won't beat the Clips
The Clips don't have an offense. Del Negro is not a good coach, tbh. They just run iso all day long. We'd crush them. :lol

I'm not convinced they'll beat the Grizzlies.

pgardn
04-26-2013, 03:45 PM
OKC did not get Fish to man Westbrooks spot.

Locker room and the big 3.

He will have to hustle to get the ball past half court. 8 seconds at his top speed is tough.

pgardn
04-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Errbody please stfu about the asterisk. Injuries are a part of the gme. Do the Lakers have an asterisk by
their first 2 titles in their 3peat? Tim Duncan went down in his first title defense ans Derek Anderson went down in the 2000-01 playoffs.

And no way they beat the Celtics 7th game without Perkins going down. * that one as well.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Miami was missing Bosh for the majority of last year's playoffs, not sure why people are acting like they haven't been hurt:lol..

pgardn
04-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Miami was missing Bosh for the majority of last year's playoffs, not sure why people are acting like they haven't been hurt:lol..
The East last year... Bad.

Dro210
04-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Cry me a river about Beverley's play being "dirty". Dribble right up to me and try to casually call a timeout, I'm gonna attempt to take that shit EVERY time, and any hungry player in the playoffs should. Since when did that become a play with such injury concern :lol Westbrick fucked himself by trying to be a hardass and get back at him on the next possession instead of checking his knee. Got that steal and fast break dunk, landed on it wrong and finished himself. Watch the replay.

Sean Cagney
04-26-2013, 04:10 PM
One year too late! If this is last year with Harden gone and him being hurt the Spurs breeze to the finals! Good lord why not last year :( Spurs still have a tough road ahead of them, if OKC can't beat LAC or Memphis next year the Spurs will have to face either or in the WCF! Do not look past Denver though at all! Infact we have to win tonight first of all and then worry about later. You have a series ahead of you now, going to LA for two games so settle that first you guys jumping way ahead.

Stabula
04-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Westbrick is overrated the biggest impact to OKC will be morale.

SpursOwn
04-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Hope it ends up being a career ender. Fuck Westbrook.

superjames1992
04-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Hope it ends up being a career ender. Fuck Westbrook.
umadbro?

KaiRMD1
04-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Well that sucks, does this mean D Fish gets the starting point guard gig? Does this mean this will be the third year in a row that a number 8 seed beats a number 1 seed? That would be nuts but doubtful, either way Thunder are better without Westbrook.........maybe

SpursOwn
04-26-2013, 04:45 PM
umadbro?
Wrong forum, whoops.

Libri
04-26-2013, 04:49 PM

:D

Spurs and Mavs fan
04-26-2013, 05:22 PM
The Spurs' chances of emerging as the Western Conference champs just increased significantly.

Budkin
04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
The Spurs' chances of emerging as the Western Conference champs just increased significantly.

Too bad their chances of winning it all didn't.

TD 21
04-26-2013, 05:40 PM
If true, there's absolutely no excuse for the Spurs to not win the West, tbh.. The realization that Westbrook is out should boost their confidence and belief, tbh, there shouldn't be any doubt in the Spurs locker room that another team in the West can beat them, tbh.. Finally. It took four and a half pages of skimming (I went through it back to front) to find someone who finally said it. Typical overly cautious Spurs fans. That being said, I do expect him to return at some point during the Conference-Semis (I also wouldn't rule out them winning that series without him), but in what form? He can't possibly have his usual athleticism/explosiveness and in the absence of that, the Spurs should be the favorites.

I don't know what you're talking about with the Heat, though. Other than Wade's balky knee (which is more ongoing soreness/pain threshold than actual injury), they've not only been remarkably healthy (in fairness, they did have quite a few injuries the previous two seasons), but they've had every imaginable break, from virtually any team in the East who could have at least given them a series having a significant injury, to pulling seemingly every close game out of their ass. That has more to do with them than it does the opposition, but there's still some luck to that.

skulls138
04-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Westbrook is injured? He must be old and washed up. You know, like people said about Ginobili.

Captivus
04-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Photo or Russell in hospital preparing for surgery. Apparently one of the doctors stole his shirt!!

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/picture_this/public/2012/09/04/301354-injured-critically-endangered-hawksbill-sea-turtle-lay-eggs-at-hospita.jpg

heyheymymy
04-26-2013, 06:26 PM
it's the same situation we feared with the lakers. will the absence of a chucker actually help the team, despite the fact that he was a star player?

the lakers don't have the personnel to excel, but they are a better team without kobe chucking.

what worries me is the thunder could gel around KD getting more touches and have enough depth imo to distribute WB's role as a pretty decent band-aid. still will be weaker without a star in the playoffs though.

DesignatedT
04-26-2013, 06:37 PM
it's the same situation we feared with the lakers. will the absence of a chucker actually help the team, despite the fact that he was a star player?

the lakers don't have the personnel to excel, but they are a better team without kobe chucking.

what worries me is the thunder could gel around KD getting more touches and have enough depth imo to distribute WB's role as a pretty decent band-aid. still will be weaker without a star in the playoffs though.

No and they certainly don't have the time to figure out how to effectively play without him. The Oklahoma City Thunder have played a total of 0 games without Westbrook in its existence.

The Lakers played off pure adrenaline and effort those last few regular season games without Kobe but if they had played with that type of urgency and effort when Kobe was healthy, they would have been in the playoffs long before they were.

Neither LA or OKC are better because one of their stars got hurt.

NickiRasgo
04-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Yet the Heat are still oddly without any significant injuries.
Banged-up Wade gets treatment, remains day-to-dayhttp://sports.yahoo.com/news/banged-wade-gets-treatment-remains-day-day-172148064.html

Stabula
04-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Damn this has been a horrible year for the NBA regarding injuries.

crc21209
04-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Damn this is crazy. I thought Durant or Westbrook would never get injured. OKC's fans and team have been lucky as hell over the past couple of years to never have any serious injuries. Now they know how the Spurs and pretty much every other team feel. Injuries happen, it happens. It happened to TD in 2000, Dirk in 2003, etc....

Kidd K
04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
He's not going to be out very long. He bumped his padded knee into another guy's knee in the 2nd quarter yet still played 37 minutes, jacking up 30 shots and getting 29 points and 4 steals.

He'll be back in for game 5 at the latest and only if the Rockets take games 3 and 4. I would not be surprised if he's back as early as game 3 or 4 either. He could obviously still play after bumping his padded knee.

Don't get so excited.

cd021
04-26-2013, 08:07 PM
it will be intresting what consequences this has for OKCs series against Houston ... Westbrook has not missed a game in years

Hasn't missed a game ever. high shool, college, NBA

cd021
04-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Photo or Russell in hospital preparing for surgery. Apparently one of the doctors stole his shirt!!

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/picture_this/public/2012/09/04/301354-injured-critically-endangered-hawksbill-sea-turtle-lay-eggs-at-hospita.jpg

Fucking classic:lmao

sventhedog
04-26-2013, 08:21 PM
the basketball gods have spoken.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Finally. It took four and a half pages of skimming (I went through it back to front) to find someone who finally said it. Typical overly cautious Spurs fans. That being said, I do expect him to return at some point during the Conference-Semis (I also wouldn't rule out them winning that series without him), but in what form? He can't possibly have his usual athleticism/explosiveness and in the absence of that, the Spurs should be the favorites.

I don't know what you're talking about with the Heat, though. Other than Wade's balky knee (which is more ongoing soreness/pain threshold than actual injury), they've not only been remarkably healthy (in fairness, they did have quite a few injuries the previous two seasons), but they've had every imaginable break, from virtually any team in the East who could have at least given them a series having a significant injury, to pulling seemingly every close game out of their ass. That has more to do with them than it does the opposition, but there's still some luck to that.

I agree that they've gotten lucky with the injuries to the rest of the East, but I wouldn't call them "remarkably healthy"..Bosh was out for most of last year's playoffs, along with several injuries to role players, and Wade's knees have frequent flare-ups..

tmtcsc
04-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Anyone who thinks OKC will easily beat Houston is crazy. This injury is devastating for OKC no matter who their opponent is. They are going to struggle to get out of round one without Westbrook. This thing goes 6 or 7 and I'm saying its a toss-up.

Not only did they lose an explosive player, they are now going to have to adjust to not having him on the court. Durant is going to be pressured like never before and that means Martin and Jackson are going to have to step up and take more of a role.

I love what this means for Ibaka. He's bitched about being a third wheel in the offense and now he's going to be taking the opportunity to try and score more. I see an epic fail and melt-down coming if he plays outside his limits.

On the other hand, Lin's weak ass may think about what an injury is or isn't. A chest bruise? C'mon man. If your wheels work, you gotta play through the pain and contribute some other way..

LonghornMike
04-26-2013, 08:29 PM

The surgeon is going to prioritize the type of meniscal injury and the age of the patient. It's probably not a "frayed" meniscus b/c that type of degenerative injury happens more in older athletes, IE MWP. This type of surgery reduces the ability of the meniscus to do it's job of absorbing force, since there's less of it, so early arthritis is a risk. But for a younger guy like Westbrook, it's probably not going to be a degenerative issue, thus making the surgery a repair that needs a longer timetable to heal because they literally suture the meniscus back onto the bone. The benefit is that Westbrook will have more of his meniscus remaining for the duration of his career. So I'm going to guess that those factors will mean that the Thunder will have to live without Westbrook for the 6-8wk timetable.

TheGoldStandard
04-26-2013, 08:57 PM

It doesn't help when Danny Green or Gary Neal leave him wide open to shoot those shots.

LonghornMike
04-26-2013, 08:59 PM
It doesn't help when Danny Green or Gary Neal leave him wide open to shoot those shots.

Without Westbrook getting into the lane and drawing defenders, those looks for Fisher, Ibaka and the others that need his help creating shots will dry up.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Without Westbrook getting into the lane and drawing defenders, those looks for Fisher, Ibaka and the others that need his help creating shots will dry up.

Yup..

Westbrook is criticized more than any player in the NBA, and rightfully so, but even ignoring his scoring(whether you believe it's good or bad), his amount of usage is effective in 2 major ways:

- he generates open looks for dependent players(which is every OKC player other than Durant and occasionally Kevin Martin)

- he allows the other players in the rotation to fit their role perfectly

With Westbrook out, this forces Martin and Ibaka to assume the roles of #2 options when either guy is on the floor, which is great news for opposing teams..

Also, while Durant has improved as a passer, he's not a penetrate and dish passer, but rather a mid-post passer, a different dynamic IMO..

Danny.Zhu
04-26-2013, 09:11 PM
I feel sorry for him. Westbrook is a more likable player than Durant.

lmbebo
04-26-2013, 09:20 PM
The surgeon is going to prioritize the type of meniscal injury and the age of the patient. It's probably not a "frayed" meniscus b/c that type of degenerative injury happens more in older athletes, IE MWP. This type of surgery reduces the ability of the meniscus to do it's job of absorbing force, since there's less of it, so early arthritis is a risk. But for a younger guy like Westbrook, it's probably not going to be a degenerative issue, thus making the surgery a repair that needs a longer timetable to heal because they literally suture the meniscus back onto the bone. The benefit is that Westbrook will have more of his meniscus remaining for the duration of his career. So I'm going to guess that those factors will mean that the Thunder will have to live without Westbrook for the 6-8wk timetable.

Depends on what kind of meniscal tear it is. From what I've read is that he has an isolated lateral meniscal tear, which if true, is a very rare.

Next bit is what kind of tear it was. Oblique, radial, horizontal, bucket handle, or the lump term "complex". To add more to it, whether it was in the periphery of the meniscus that has some penetrating vasculature or more central where the meniscus is avascular.

All these different aspects will influence how it is treated and likely recovery time.

It may be a longer recovery if they sutured the periphery of the meniscus and are giving it time to heal versus shaving/debrieding a relatively avascular portion of the meniscus.

You can't look at how quickly World Peace came back and use him as an example for how long it'll take Westbrook to come back.

z0sa
04-26-2013, 09:28 PM
I don't wish injury on anyone but after the fact, my only reaction right now is FUUUUUCK YEAHHHHH

tmtcsc
04-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know how Tim's meniscus injury in 2000 compares to MWP and Westbrooke's ?

exstatic
04-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Does anyone know how Tim's meniscus injury in 2000 compares to MWP and Westbrooke's ?

I believe Tim's was a hole. He probably could have played in the playoffs, but Pop is an old woman about injuries, and rightly so.

tmtcsc
04-26-2013, 11:51 PM
I believe Tim's was a hole. He probably could have played in the playoffs, but Pop is an old woman about injuries, and rightly so.

Yeah, 3 rings later and him resigning with us (partly because Pop looked out for his career) seemed to work out.

tmtcsc
04-26-2013, 11:51 PM

Yeah, 3 rings later and him resigning with us (partly because Pop looked out for his career) seemed to work out.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-27-2013, 12:15 AM
The West is now WIDE open. If we can get some momentum we could steamroll through to the Finals, although so could Memphis or the Clips. I would have added Denver to that list but they look very vulnerable against GSW even though they're missing Lee.

exstatic
04-27-2013, 09:30 AM
The West is now WIDE open. If we can get some momentum we could steamroll through to the Finals, although so could Memphis or the Clips. I would have added Denver to that list but they look very vulnerable against GSW even though they're missing Lee.

Denver was always going to struggle without Gallinari. When you run an ensemble offense, you need all of your pieces, especially your top couple of scorers.

TampaDude
04-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Yay! We're going to win the West and have the privilege of losing to the Heat in the Finals. :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
04-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Yay! We're going to win the West and have the privilege of losing to the Heat in the Finals. :lol

Pretty much :lol

look_at_g_shred
04-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks OKC will still win without westchimp. The refs are just going to allocate all his whistles he would get to Durant now. Expect Durant to be at the line at least 20 times. I also believe they will have no problem beating clips/mem either.

Mr. Body
04-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Tonight should be very interesting. Was looking like it could be a decent series even with Westbrook, now almost anything could happen.

Kamnik
04-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Is there a chance Westbrick returns in the next 2-3 weeks? Or is he finished?

I am reading all these mixed reports all over...

DesignatedT
04-27-2013, 01:50 PM
InsideHoops.com ‏@InsideHoops 3m
Russell Westbrook undergoes knee surgery, out for rest of #NBAplayoffs: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=13127

He's officially out for the remainder of the playoffs.

emanueldavidginobili
04-27-2013, 01:53 PM
OUT FOR REMAINDER OF PLAYOFFS

thunderup
04-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Oh god....

Kamnik
04-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Nice...! Unfortunately this means the ball a lot more in the hands of Durant which is.... ah. But I think the Spurs just became the strong favorites in the West.

No Westbrick and Harden when comparing to last year!!!

phxspurfan
04-27-2013, 02:05 PM
wow...out of nowhere, the Thunders are relegated to fodder status.

DatBoyGood
Thunder must be definitely wishing they kept Harden now. But instead theyre playing against him now haha

davidbowie
kd is about to be exposed for the cream puff he is. dude no shows constantly in the 4th quarter. dont want to be second anymore? well here's your chance.

crc21209
04-27-2013, 02:06 PM

Yeah just saw this on TNT...

tlongII
04-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Yep

exstatic
04-27-2013, 02:12 PM

We're the Heat's worst matchup coming out of the West. We have pound it down post scoring and a quicksilver PG, both of which they struggle with.

People act like LeBron is God. He's 1-2 in the Finals.

exstatic
04-27-2013, 02:16 PM
kd is about to be exposed for the cream puff he is. dude no shows constantly in the 4th quarter. dont want to be second anymore? well here's your chance.

:lol I was just thinking that when I heard about Westbrook yesterday.

davidbowie
04-27-2013, 02:20 PM
i'm genuinely going to miss his dumb ass sail boat shirts and over sized glasses to giggle at after each game

ahh well...

emanueldavidginobili
04-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Don't doubt KD seriously, I can see him making a Dirk Nowitzki run tbh

DesignatedT
04-27-2013, 02:29 PM
The Thunder with KD are still a great team. Thing that is going to hurt OKC is that they have 0 time to figure out how to play without Russell.

The Thunder, in their existence have played a total of 0 games without Westbrook. He is also "their closer" every game, meaning he is the one who has the ball in his hands down the stretch setting up the offense or taking the shot. Durant has his hands full and I don't see him being able to figure it all out without an adjustment period. They are definitely still going to be a tough out. I think MEM or LAC can beat them now though.

exstatic
04-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Don't doubt KD seriously, I can see him making a Dirk Nowitzki run tbh

Dirk didn't have to go through us. I think a one player team would really struggle trying to do that.

DPG21920
04-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Huge talent blow but his replacement isn't a scrub. Plus he will find Durant more often like WB should so they might end up with more consistent good looks.

jermaine
04-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Im not a fan of winning when a teams superstar is out. I think it will always be said what if, or wouldve could've. I cant wait to see us in the 2nd round.

DesignatedT
04-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Im not a fan of winning when a teams superstar is out. I think it will always be said what if, or wouldve could've. I cant wait to see us in the 2nd round.

There is what ifs in every playoff. Nobody remembers things like this when looking back at history. Injuries are apart of the game and the Spurs have been on the wrong side of this many many times. Nobody felt sorry for us.

SA210
04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
If the Spurs were able to make it to the Finals and actually beat the Heat (which I do think is very possible if all healthy), nobody will care about the OKC situation, bc we were able to beat the Heat.

I'm not one of the ones that think the Heat would automatically trample us. Depends on health and Spurs mindset at the time. Hopefully they are rolling and make it that far.

silverblackfan
04-27-2013, 03:06 PM
There is what ifs in every playoff. Nobody remembers things like this when looking back at history. Injuries are apart of the game and the Spurs have been on the wrong side of this many many times. Nobody felt sorry for us.
This.
I don't celebrate another teams injuries, but I sure as hell will appreciate the advantage. Your whole season can go to crap in a twist of an ankle or knee.

Bruno
04-27-2013, 03:14 PM
With this injury, I don't see OKC making the WCF. For Spurs, it quite erases the issues created by the waiving of Stephen Jackson. Spurs have what it takes at SF to compete with the other WC teams. It remains Miami, but with or without Jackson, Spurs will be crushed by them if they reached the Finals.

LonghornMike
04-27-2013, 03:14 PM
I hate to say I told you so lmbebo, but...

"Although we are of course disappointed that Russell will be unable to return to the floor with his teammates this season, the opportunity to repair the meniscus as opposed to remove it was the best possible scenario for Russell's long term health as a player and person," said Thunder executive vice president and general manager Sam Presti in a statement.

My prognostication was from having a medical background, not google.

Depends on what kind of meniscal tear it is. From what I've read is that he has an isolated lateral meniscal tear, which if true, is a very rare.

Next bit is what kind of tear it was. Oblique, radial, horizontal, bucket handle, or the lump term "complex". To add more to it, whether it was in the periphery of the meniscus that has some penetrating vasculature or more central where the meniscus is avascular.

All these different aspects will influence how it is treated and likely recovery time.

It may be a longer recovery if they sutured the periphery of the meniscus and are giving it time to heal versus shaving/debrieding a relatively avascular portion of the meniscus.

You can't look at how quickly World Peace came back and use him as an example for how long it'll take Westbrook to come back.

lmbebo
04-27-2013, 04:56 PM
I hate to say I told you so lmbebo, but...

"Although we are of course disappointed that Russell will be unable to return to the floor with his teammates this season, the opportunity to repair the meniscus as opposed to remove it was the best possible scenario for Russell's long term health as a player and person," said Thunder executive vice president and general manager Sam Presti in a statement.

My prognostication was from having a medical background, not google.

How does anything I said actually NOT coincide with what was reported?

As I quote myself "It may be a longer recovery if they sutured the periphery of the meniscus and are giving it time to heal versus shaving/debrieding a relatively avascular portion of the meniscus."

I diagnose these tears every day... I don't have the greatest knowledge in there management (still learning, but thats primarily up to the orthopedic surgeon when they go and scope the patient).

If you really want to learn about the meniscus there is a great article in the AJR - American Journal of Roentgenology (Yellow journal) from September 2012 written by a radiologist by the name of Arthur De Smet (from Univ of Wisconsin) about how he evaluates the menisci and tears. He spent his career researching the menisci. (edit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22915388)

If your going to bust out the "I hate to say I told you so" line, make sure you read first and can understand it. And are you sure your not the one using google?

Plus, no information was released (that I've seen) that actually said what kind of tear he had. Just that it involved the lateral meniscus.

Man In Black
04-27-2013, 05:08 PM
I theorized that Westbrook could opt to go the Ronnie Lott method and go macho and take the shave but I hedged and said that if he goes repair, he's out for 6 weeks minimally. I don't know how many people are like me and spent their 500 hours in an Athletic Training room studying Sports Medicine, but realize that there are others here who do this professionally at some sort of capacity.

Since he went REPAIR, it simply means that the Doctor was able to repair what probably was a bucket handle tear that had good blood supply. I agree with Presti whole-heartedly. Like Pop, who had to the same thing with Tim in 2000, Presti learned about how Pop handled it and decided that if the Surgeon could repair, then he would shut Westbrook down. Good for the athlete, bad for OKC this playoff run.

Uriel
04-27-2013, 05:17 PM
With this injury, I don't see OKC making the WCF. For Spurs, it quite erases the issues created by the waiving of Stephen Jackson. Spurs have what it takes at SF to compete with the other WC teams. It remains Miami, but with or without Jackson, Spurs will be crushed by them if they reached the Finals.
Stop being realistic. We want to dream. :lol

timvp
04-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Considering that the chances of the Spurs run also getting derailed by injury is pretty high, it's difficult to know what to feel about this news. Obviously, it sucks for Westbrook and OKC ... but it doesn't impact the Spurs much right now since the second round will be far from a given.

Spurs and Mavs fan
04-27-2013, 06:14 PM
There've been four times when the Spurs could have played the Heat in the NBA Finals: 1999, 2005, 2006, and 2012. Let's hope it finally happens this time.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-27-2013, 07:33 PM
This has to be the craziest year in NBA history in terms of injuries.

urunobili
04-27-2013, 07:37 PM
even if the Spurs get out of the west, how in the world would they be able to beat the Heat?

Robz4000
04-27-2013, 07:38 PM
This has to be the craziest year in NBA history in terms of injuries.

Last year was pretty nuts as well tbh. More season ending injuries this year tho.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-27-2013, 07:43 PM
If Spurs lose against Thunder, there will be NO excuses. It goes in our favor now though.

TD 21
04-27-2013, 07:46 PM
I agree that they've gotten lucky with the injuries to the rest of the East, but I wouldn't call them "remarkably healthy"..Bosh was out for most of last year's playoffs, along with several injuries to role players, and Wade's knees have frequent flare-ups..

I'm talking about this season and I said aside from Wade's knee, which is more soreness than actual injury.

As far as the Finals go, people are overstating the gap between the Heat and Spurs. Don't get me wrong, they deserve to be and are overwhelming favorites, but no way the Spurs don't at the very least make it a competitive series. Not only do they match up better with them than anyone else, both personnel/style wise, but much like the Mavs in '11, they'd know that it would more than likely be their last chance at glory.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Heat would crush the Spurs in 5. Spurs would struggle with an elite defensive team and Battier/Miller always go HAM on us for whatever reason. It's a shame we only have one Kawhi Leonard instead of 3.

But whatever, I'll take a crack at the Finals even if that means spoiling Duncan's perfect Finals record.

Spurs and Mavs fan
04-27-2013, 08:26 PM
even if the Spurs get out of the west, how in the world would they be able to beat the Heat?

How in the world did the 2007 Warriors beat the Mavericks?

chapnis
04-27-2013, 08:39 PM
How in the world did the 2007 Warriors beat the Mavericks?

Stephen Jackson. If only the spurs could get him.

therealtruth
04-27-2013, 08:50 PM
There've been four times when the Spurs could have played the Heat in the NBA Finals: 1999, 2005, 2006, and 2012. Let's hope it finally happens this time.

No. The Heat only made the Finals in '06, '11, and '12.

Man In Black
04-27-2013, 10:33 PM
I refuse to believe we can't compete with those fux. They can't stop a resurgent Tim Duncan and none of those other teams have the requisite personnel and schemes to slow down a superstar and 1 needed role player. That's it.

F MIA...it'll be uphill but that's what will make this the sweetest ever if the Spurs believe and execute with precision.

therealtruth
04-27-2013, 10:52 PM
I refuse to believe we can't compete with those fux. They can't stop a resurgent Tim Duncan and none of those other teams have the requisite personnel and schemes to slow down a superstar and 1 needed role player. That's it.

I believe that's the only chance we have against the Heat. We have to beat them in the post. I don't think we can expect our perimeter game to be our advantage against them. It will have to be complementary to a post first attack.

JRHernandez88
04-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Well damn we really might get another crack at OKC & this time without Harden & Westbrook. I always thought we were the only team that could beat or actually compete with Miami FOR REAL FOR REAL but i just didnt see us getting past OKC. Now, well shit...

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2631/obamahmmw.png

milkyway21
04-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Thunder ball boy accused of sending tweets threatening Houston's Beverley

Thunder ball boy Mitchell Brown reportedly sent out a tweet on his own account that read, "Patrick Beverly, I'm coming to kill you," police said. Brown also sent a similar tweet to Beverley's official Twitter account, saying, "@pavbev21 I'm coming to kill you," police said.
The incident is believed to have stemmed from a play in which Beverley injured Russell Westbrook, which tore Westbrook's meniscus, requiring surgery and forcing him to miss the remainder of the playoffs.

:cry sometimes fans go overboard... this is just a game of basketball people.

Arcadian
04-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Fuck this defeatist mentality that "the Heat would crush the Spurs." Not necessarily. If the Spurs are playing well enough to make the Finals, they will make it an interesting series.

The matchup is very interesting because the teams are good for different reasons. The Spurs' best positions are PG and C (Parker and Duncan). The Heat's best positions are SG, SF, and PF (Wade, James, Bosh). So there wouldn't be any classic individual battles, but both teams would capitalize on the other's weaknesses. I think it would be a fascinating series, and it's the matchup everyone should hope for.

Johnny RIngo
04-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Fuck this defeatist mentality that "the Heat would crush the Spurs." Not necessarily. If the Spurs are playing well enough to make the Finals, they will make it an interesting series.

The matchup is very interesting because the teams are good for different reasons. The Spurs' best positions are PG and C (Parker and Duncan). The Heat's best positions are SG, SF, and PF (Wade, James, Bosh). So there wouldn't be any classic individual battles, but both teams would capitalize on the other's weaknesses. I think it would be a fascinating series, and it's the matchup everyone should hope for.

The last time we played the Heat they made a concerted effort in stopping Parker...and it worked. And that was without Lebron/Wade. I don't think the Spurs have a chance unless Wade gets injured. Even then, I'd still favor Miami since Lebron is a much better first option than Tony.

exstatic
04-28-2013, 10:26 AM
The last time we played the Heat they made a concerted effort in stopping Parker...and it worked. And that was without Lebron/Wade. I don't think the Spurs have a chance unless Wade gets injured. Even then, I'd still favor Miami since Lebron is a much better first option than Tony.

Wade IS injured. That knee bone bruise isn't going away until the offseason. Superman LeBron is also 1-2 in the NBA Finals.

The Heat struggle against two kinds of offensive players: proficient post scorers and super quick PGs. I'll let you connect the dots. If we're playing Spurs basketball, we can beat them.

100%duncan
04-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Agree with exstatic tbh. Fuck the defeatist mentality. Ya'll sound like a hypocrite with that.

HarlemHeat37
04-28-2013, 10:52 AM
:lol Parker would be defended by Lebron, and as we have seen many times, shutting down Tony with a long wing is a reliable strategy..especially with the best defensive wing in the NBA..

The Spurs only chance vs. Miami would be for Duncan to have prime-Duncan type of series, the shooters to get hot and Wade playing a poor series, tbh..

As I've said many times, a Spurs team in good rhythm is the worst matchup in the NBA against the Heat, but I still can't see the Spurs beating them..let's worry about getting there first though, tbh..

exstatic
04-28-2013, 11:02 AM
:lol Parker would be defended by Lebron, and as we have seen many times, shutting down Tony with a long wing is a reliable strategy..especially with the best defensive wing in the NBA..

The Spurs only chance vs. Miami would be for Duncan to have prime-Duncan type of series, the shooters to get hot and Wade playing a poor series, tbh..

As I've said many times, a Spurs team in good rhythm is the worst matchup in the NBA against the Heat, but I still can't see the Spurs beating them..let's worry about getting there first though, tbh..

If they put LeBron on him, I wouldn't even run pick and roll. Just clear out and let Tony work. LeBron is a beast help defender, but over rated as a one on one defender, especially against smaller and quicker players. A half dozen breakdowns leading to 5 on 4 in the half court would cure the Heat of that shit.

Mugen
04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
If they put LeBron on him, I wouldn't even run pick and roll. Just clear out and let Tony work. LeBron is a beast help defender, but over rated as a one on one defender, especially against smaller and quicker players. A half dozen breakdowns leading to 5 on 4 in the half court would cure the Heat of that shit.

That'd be disastrous tbh. As quick as TP is, I don't think he's quick/crafty enough to work LeBron on a 1v1 situation. Even if he managed to get a step, LeBron's recovery and jumping ability would pretty much negate the quickness advantage.

Like HH said, the only way the Spurs have a shot at Miami is Prime Timmy and hot outside shooting. With the way Duncan has looked so far, it's not entirely out of the question that he has a big series in a potential matchup against them. But I don't have the same faith in Green/Bonner/Kawhi/Neal to shoot well enough against a great perimeter D like the Heat.

LonghornMike
04-28-2013, 12:18 PM
That'd be disastrous tbh. As quick as TP is, I don't think he's quick/crafty enough to work LeBron on a 1v1 situation. Even if he managed to get a step, LeBron's recovery and jumping ability would pretty much negate the quickness advantage.

Like HH said, the only way the Spurs have a shot at Miami is Prime Timmy and hot outside shooting. With the way Duncan has looked so far, it's not entirely out of the question that he has a big series in a potential matchup against them. But I don't have the same faith in Green/Bonner/Kawhi/Neal to shoot well enough against a great perimeter D like the Heat.

Miami always traps the pick and roll hard, and if Timmy is the man setting the screen and getting release valve man, then he's going to get plenty of open looks at the basket or time to find the open man and force more rotations. I like both of those options. Also, if Lebron is guarding Parker, that means they have a size advantage at the other spots and those 3 point looks won't be as tightly contested for Manu, Green and Kawhi. Also, Kawhi has been showing some chops in the post lately, so if he gets Chalmers, Cole, or even Wade on him, I say give him the ball and let him go to work.

EricB
04-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Lebron is a help defender. When did he become regarded as the second coming of Bruce Bowen?!

DPG21920
04-28-2013, 12:38 PM
smh

therealtruth
04-28-2013, 12:41 PM

It might be up to TP. I remember they tried Lebron on him in the '07 Finals and it didn't work.

Mugen
04-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Lebron is a help defender. When did he become regarded as the second coming of Bruce Bowen?!

Not sure if you forgot when LeBron locked up Rose when it mattered in 2011.

Mugen
04-28-2013, 12:48 PM
It might be up to TP. I remember they tried Lebron on him in the '07 Finals and it didn't work.

I'd hope not since Parker can be slowed by a bigger defender as evidenced throughout this season and the Heat are chock full of them.

superjames1992
04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Mixed feelings about this...

On one hand, I hate to see a guy get injured...

On the other hand, this may be the Spurs' last chance before age takes its toll and the stars seem to be aligning, tbh...

I'll take it, though Miami is going to be a meat-grinder in the Finals (if we make it).

spurs10
04-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Wade IS injured. That knee bone bruise isn't going away until the offseason. Superman LeBron is also 1-2 in the NBA Finals.

The Heat struggle against two kinds of offensive players: proficient post scorers and super quick PGs. I'll let you connect the dots. If we're playing Spurs basketball, we can beat them.
Great post!!:toast
Also, think putting Lebron on Tony would be a good thing...for us!!

spurs10
04-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Westbrook's injury is horrible. Him not playing if we play the Thunder, not so horrible.