PDA

View Full Version : Australian field hockey player dies after snake bite

Thebesteva
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
He picked up what he believed was a python during a jog and gets bit. Throws the snake down...turns out to be a brown snake aka THE MOST venomous snake in the world, second to none. Steve Irwin used to talk about this Brown snake alot on his show, used to mention most victims have their eyes bleeding within 30 minutes and go blind. How in God's name do you confuse a brown snake for a python?

PYTHON

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB4Sk2dKhTh4gnp4H7tdPwdUdeYR6fZ HJSkr0aALjGgx3G-Hdn

Venomous brown snake

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTniiYDt1xoFRDiteB1IhMr2ewac--gZJ7pRFTl2pDqFZ_mZXr3

DARWIN, Australia — A field hockey player has died after he was bitten by a venomous king brown snake in Australia’s tropical Northern Territory and then went for a run.Fairfax Newspapers reported Friday that 26-year-old Karl Berry was cleaning up at Marrara Hockey Centre in Darwin on Tuesday when he picked up a snake. He thought it was a nonvenomous python and threw it into the bushes.

Berry was bitten on the hand but did not realize the bite was poisonous and went on a 1.2-mile training run before collapsing.
St. John’s Ambulance operations manager Craig Garraway was quoted as saying Berry was conscious when paramedics arrived. But he took up to 15 minutes to mention the bite. Berry, captain of the Commerce-Pints team, died Wednesday. Garraway said the run pumped the venom around his system faster.

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2013, 01:20 PM
when you have 7 of the top 10 deadly snakes in your country, you have no business picking up any snake....

resistanze
04-26-2013, 02:14 PM
He picks up, gets bitten by an unknown snake, then goes for a jog? Well he wasn't the smartest guy in the world, that's for sure.

Big Empty
04-26-2013, 02:49 PM
He picks up, gets bitten by an unknown snake, then goes for a jog? Well he wasn't the smartest guy in the world, that's for sure.Fosters, Austrialian fo bea

The Reckoning
04-26-2013, 03:05 PM
well it's fitting since this guy is from Darwin.

UZER
04-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Every snake is the "the most venomous" snake in the world. Just so I know for sure, which one is it?!?!

The Reckoning
04-26-2013, 10:32 PM
sea snakes, tbh.

but there are several different types of venom.

the coral snake can also be listed as one because it carries a lethal neurotoxin, but it's mouth is too small to effectively bite a grown adult unless it gets your fingers or toes.

Creepn
04-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Took him 15 minutes to mention the bite to paramedics after collapsing? Pretty stupid.

dirk4mvp
04-27-2013, 01:15 AM

:rollin

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 06:10 AM
sea snakes, tbh.

but there are several different types of venom.

the coral snake can also be listed as one because it carries a lethal neurotoxin, but it's mouth is too small to effectively bite a grown adult unless it gets your fingers or toes.

Actually, after checking most lists, Taipan is the #1 and Eastern Brown is considered #3 overall but the most venomous in all of Australia. The thing is, they are all deadly, they just measure these things on how many humans 1 cc can kill.

I searched youtube about Brown snakes and this expert posted this comment that I found interesting in this particular video where he handles cobras and brown snakes:

Yep I’ve been bitten four times by large venomous snakes, twice by Taipan’s once by a Death Adder and a Mexican Moccasin snake. None injected venom, in fact the first Taipan died two weeks after it bit me so I’m deadly to snakes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFtCFdfm7CI

z0sa
04-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Just what I was thinking.

Who gets bit by a snake they are clueless about and just doesn't give a fuck?

Blake
04-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Reminds me of fraternity hazing days whenever i hear of a snake bite

Frat idiot: "if a snake bit one of your fraternity brothers on the dick and the only way to save him was to suck out the venom, what do you do?"

mrsmaalox
04-29-2013, 10:28 AM
when you have 7 of the top 10 deadly snakes in your country, you have no business picking up any snake....

Really. A few years ago I was screening employment applications from Australian nurses and was shocked to see so many of them had "envenomation" as their area of expertise and that there are hospitals there with dedicated envenomation units :wow

Spur|n|Austin
04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Reminds me of fraternity hazing days whenever i hear of a snake bite

Frat idiot: "if a snake bit one of your fraternity brothers on the dick and the only way to save him was to suck out the venom, what do you do?"

Greek up in LBK huh? I was an SAE, you? Was Greek Circle there when you were there?

Blake
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Greek up in LBK huh? I was an SAE, you? Was Greek Circle there when you were there?

Yeah, Greek circle 1 was there and they were building houses on Greek circle 2.

Is Greek circle(s) not there any more? I don't keep up with current frat happenings..

Spur|n|Austin
04-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Yeah, Greek circle 1 was there and they were building houses on Greek circle 2.

Is Greek circle(s) not there any more? I don't keep up with current frat happenings..

Yeah it's still there, our lodges were on Greek Circle 2 and there were a couple still being built around it. I'd say there are now like 9-10 houses on 2.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Really. A few years ago I was screening employment applications from Australian nurses and was shocked to see so many of them had "envenomation" as their area of expertise and that there are hospitals there with dedicated envenomation units :wow

yes sperm is dangerous