04-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Lol wasting another pick on a llinebacker
lol taking 7 years to rebuild the defense that still sucks
lol not taking a receiver
lol dumbshits who think this dumbshit made Tom Brady
lol most overrated coach in nfl history

monosylab1k
04-26-2013, 10:15 PM
On paper this is Bill's worst draft yet. No "Day 1" picks look like anything beyond an average NFL player.

DeadlyDynasty
04-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Don't really get the Blount move. He's horrible in pass protection and is a terrible receiver out of the backfield. Great north-south runner but NE already has 2 young backs who show promise--w/o the excess baggage.

Chinook
04-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Don't really get the Blount move. He's horrible in pass protection and is a terrible receiver out of the backfield. Great north-south runner but NE already has 2 young backs who show promise--w/o the excess baggage.

Yeah. I loved watching him a couple of years ago. But he's really limited. He's also something of a head case.

He can be a feature back in a run-heavy offense, so he has value for a seventh. But it is pretty much Belichick throwing a pick away, since Blount is almost certainly a rental.

monosylab1k
04-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Demps is worthless since he values his track career more than his NFL career. Blount has value as a short yardage back, which is something the Pats sorely needed last year. Woodcuck and Vereen were too weak in those situations, and Ridley fumbles like crazy in the red zone.

Chinook
04-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Demps is worthless since he values his track career more than his NFL career. Blount has value as a short yardage back, which is something the Pats sorely needed last year. Woodcuck and Vereen were too weak in those situations, and Ridley fumbles like crazy in the red zone.

Bount isn't a short-yardage back. I know he seems that way because of his size, but he isn't good busting through lines or pushing piles. What makes him an effective runner is that he's very big for his style of play (elusive outside rusher) so it's hard for defensive backs to bring him down. He's also relatively slow for that style, however, which makes it hard for him to get going. If Blount can get some momentum, he's hard to stop, as highlights of him suggest. He's not good a getting 2-4 yards, though; he'll get a lot of 0s and -1s and some 8s and 10s with the occasional long run thrown in. Defensive lineman and linebackers give him trouble.

monosylab1k
04-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Bount isn't a short-yardage back. I know he seems that way because of his size, but he isn't good busting through lines or pushing piles. What makes him an effective runner is that he's very big for his style of play (elusive outside rusher) so it's hard for defensive backs to bring him down. He's also relatively slow for that style, however, which makes it hard for him to get going. If Blount can get some momentum, he's hard to stop, as highlights of him suggest. He's not good a getting 2-4 yards, though; he'll get a lot of 0s and -1s and some 8s and 10s with the occasional long run thrown in. Defensive lineman and linebackers give him trouble.

Every scouting report i've read says any short yardage woes he has doesn't stem from physical inability, but from indecisiveness and a desire to bounce outside instead of plowing through inside. Bill will either coach that out of him or cut him. It was worth it to at least give it a shot.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Tbh Bolden should have gotten more carries after his injury. He was beasting early in the season and was the best short yardage back on the team.

monosylab1k
04-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Tbh Bolden should have gotten more carries after his injury. He was beasting early in the season and was the best short yardage back on the team.

Yeah he might be in the mix too. I think the Blount move is also a way to give Bill more options because i don't thinks he's at all sold on Ridley being the feature back. Neither am I tbh

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-28-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm just glad Woodcuck is gone (:lol Chargers).

Idk what the cap situation is, but if they re-sign Brandon Lloyd and also sign Brandon Moore I'd be pretty content with the offense heading into this season.

Raven
04-28-2013, 02:14 PM
what a horrible draft from an excitement standpoint.. our offense was going to be the best in the league no matter what happened in the draft, but i still expected them to take a serious reciever, instead they decided to take two very different recievers and fill the roster with average or below average talent. I'm a bit disappointed, but whatever, both the recievers have some interesting tools on paper.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Bolden stopped getting carries because BB wanted to prove a point.

Chinook
04-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Every scouting report i've read says any short yardage woes he has doesn't stem from physical inability, but from indecisiveness and a desire to bounce outside instead of plowing through inside. Bill will either coach that out of him or cut him. It was worth it to at least give it a shot.

I agree that his short-yardage woes are all mental. The same goes for most of his issues. He's been quite the character in Tampa. He's like Dez Bryant without the paparazzi. If he can get his head right, he'll be fine.

I also think Blount is a good fourth-quarter back. His running style works really well against tired defenses.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-28-2013, 06:40 PM
I still say it's intellectually dishonest to call New England "the best offense in the league" just because of stats when it's extremely one dimensional with where it can attack defenses and gets shut down by any defense capable of jamming up the middle of the field.

Raven
04-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I still say it's intellectually dishonest to call New England "the best offense in the league" just because of stats when it's extremely one dimensional with where it can attack defenses and gets shut down by any defense capable of jamming up the middle of the field.

it may be, but there is no team that can guard the gronk-hernandez combo. It's just a matter of having them healthy.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-28-2013, 07:04 PM
it may be, but there is no team that can guard the gronk-hernandez combo. It's just a matter of having them healthy.
Given the last two seasons, them being healthy for the playoffs is an unrealistic expectation.

Chinook
04-28-2013, 07:14 PM

Baltimore did a pretty good job on Gronk in the regular season last year. He's definitely the focus of a gameplan, but he can be slowed down. Also, what Ellerbe said about Brady may factor into other teams' gameplan now. We may see a lot more passes batted over the middle of the field, which should affect Hernandez more than Gronk, obviously.

Raven
04-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Baltimore did a pretty good job on Gronk in the regular season last year. He's definitely the focus of a gameplan, but he can be slowed down. Also, what Ellerbe said about Brady may factor into other teams' gameplan now. We may see a lot more passes batted over the middle of the field, which should affect Hernandez more than Gronk, obviously.

I am not sure, but if i remember correctly, Hernandez was not playing in that game.

Raven
04-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Given the last two seasons, them being healthy for the playoffs is an unrealistic expectation.

well if they are not healthy they are pretty much justified to lose, it's not like teams in the nfl can survive without their top weapons.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Most teams in the NFL don't lock up so much cap room with two injury prone tight ends.

Chinook
04-28-2013, 08:08 PM
I am not sure, but if i remember correctly, Hernandez was not playing in that game.

I do believe you are correct. However, that was also back when Welker was supposedly killing it, so the dangerous slot role was already filled.

In any event, I was just pointing out that there are game plans that can slow down that combination. If that's all the Patriots have next season, their offense may struggle in the playoffs.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-28-2013, 08:36 PM
The Patriots' offense played well in their regular season game against the Ravens. 30 points in spite of McDaniels giving Woodcuck 15 carries and a few wasted redzone opportunities. They lost that game because of how bad the defense was at the time. Welker and Lloyd did what NE needs their receivers to do when the other team is entirely focused on stopping everything over the middle.

It's not like I'm saying they need Roddy White and Julio Jones at WR, they just need somewhat of an outside threat who can take advantage when the other team's defense is begging Brady to throw deep and outside. Since Brady's deep ball has historically been inaccurate, IMO the receiver needs to be a bigger player who can adjust for balls not thrown perfectly.

Chinook
04-28-2013, 08:54 PM
The Patriots' offense played well in their regular season game against the Ravens.

I'm not saying they didn't. I am saying Gronk didn't. He caught two passes for 21 yards and no touchdowns. I was responding to Raven's suggestion that no team could stop a Gronk-Hernandez combination. I think the Ravens could, although they didn't play them both at the same time last season.

Raven
04-28-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm not saying they didn't. I am saying Gronk didn't. He caught two passes for 21 yards and no touchdowns. I was responding to Raven's suggestion that no team could stop a Gronk-Hernandez combination. I think the Ravens could, although they didn't play them both at the same time last season.

well the argument doesn't stand, of course you can stop one, but both of them is pretty much a mission impossible, that was my point.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-28-2013, 09:53 PM

They did a decent job stopping it in the 2011 AFCCG. That would be a better example imo.

Chinook
04-28-2013, 10:45 PM
well the argument doesn't stand, of course you can stop one, but both of them is pretty much a mission impossible, that was my point.

And I disagree. I don't think Hernandez is nearly the match-up nightmare Gronk is. If the Ravens can stop him, they should be able to stop both. There are players in the league who can cover Hernandez one on one. He's just a big slot receiver, not too different from Boldin, although he's more athletic and somewhat bigger.

My argument stands just fine; it just hasn't been tested. I believe the Ravens can guard both. We know Seattle can.

They did a decent job stopping it in the 2011 AFCCG. That would be a better example imo.

If you look back at my first post about this, I mention both games. The Ravens stopped Gronk in the first game, and they stopped the middle passing to other players in the second game (by blocking Brady's vision and batting some balls). I don't think the Ravens would play Gronk the same way they'd play other receivers over the middle, which is why I am not keen on using the last game as an indicator of their future success against New England's tight-ends.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-28-2013, 10:50 PM
No, you didn't mention the 2011 AFFCG. You mentioned both games this year.

I'm not sure why you took a thread about the Patriots and tried to make it about how amazing and awesome the Ravens are. Go jack off somewhere else.

Chinook
04-28-2013, 11:16 PM
No, you didn't mention the 2011 AFFCG. You mentioned both games this year.

I'm not sure why you took a thread about the Patriots and tried to make it about how amazing and awesome the Ravens are. Go jack off somewhere else.

Sorry. Misread your quote. You're right, and I perhaps should have mentioned it. The way it ended makes me block the rest of the game from my memory, though. :lol

I didn't know a thread titled "LMAO Belichick" was one in which I had to agree that Gronk and Hernandez were unstoppable. I thought we were talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the team, and mentioning teams that have had success against them doesn't seem out of line to me. I didn't start talking about the Ravens to down the Patriots. I mentioned them as a team that has game-planned well against the Patriots' tight-ends. They didn't have to face both for a whole game, though. I would have brought up other teams, I only saw and handful of Patriots games and didn't feel entitled to talk about those games.

You make it sound like I've been going around saying "the patriots suck the ravens are way better, lol". I've made no threads about the Ravens, and I don't really go to threads about other teams and bring up the Ravens being the best team or anything like that. I'm just talking football with fans of another team. Had the Ravens lost to the Patriots, I imagine we'd be having this same discussion, provided you still felt the need to make a thread downing New England's draft before it even ended.