PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry is pissed about this cartoon

Big Empty
04-26-2013, 08:19 PM
http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2013/04/24/19/36/RTSHf.St.4.jpeghttp://www.washingtonpost.com/business/perry-disgusted-by-california-newspaper-cartoon-depicting-explosion-after-deadly-west-blast/2013/04/26/a80e80e8-aecf-11e2-b59e-adb43da03a8a_story.html
By Associated Press, Apr 27, 2013 12:18 AM EDT
AP Updated: Friday, April 26, 7:18 PM

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas Gov. Rick Perry said Friday he’s disgusted with a Sacramento Bee cartoon that depicts him boasting about business booming in his state and then shows an explosion, and says he wants an apology from the newspaper on behalf of a town where 14 people died in a fertilizer plant blast last week.
The cartoon in Thursday’s edition shows Perry crowing that “Business is Booming,” flanked by signs saying “Low Tax!” “’Low Regs!,” a play on the Republican’s often-repeated mantra that his state’s low-regulation, business-friendly climate has its economy humming.

The next panel reads “Boom!” as a blast engulfs the area behind the governor and his signs.

An April 17 explosion in the town of West, Texas, outside Waco, killed 17 people, left a crater more than 90 feet wide and is estimated to have caused more than $100 million in damage. The blast occurred moments after a fire was reported at the West Fertilizer plant. Ten of those killed were first responders who rushed to the nighttime blaze.
In a letter to the Bee’s editor, Perry said it “was with extreme disgust and disappointment I viewed your recent cartoon.”
“While I will always welcome healthy policy debate, I won’t stand for someone mocking the tragic deaths of my fellow Texans and our fellow Americans,” Perry wrote. “Additionally, publishing this on the very day our state and nation paused to honor and mourn those who died only compounds the pain and suffering of the many Texans who lost family and friends in this disaster.”
President Barack Obama was among those who attended a memorial service for the explosion victims Thursday at Baylor University in Waco.
The Bee’s editorial page editor, Stuart Leavenworth, responded Friday that the artist, Jack Ohman, “made a strong statement about Gov. Rick Perry’s disregard for worker safety, and his attempts to market Texas a place where industries can thrive with few regulations.”
“It is unfortunate that Gov. Perry, and some on the blogosphere, have attempted to interpret the cartoon as being disrespectful for the victims of this tragedy,” Leavenworth said. “As Ohman has made clear on his blog, he has complete empathy for the victims and people living by the plant. What he finds offensive is a governor who would gamble with the lives of families by not pushing for the strongest safety regulations. Perry’s letter is an attempt to distract people from that message.”
Ohman defended his cartoon with an Internet post, noting that the fertilizer plant “had not been inspected by the state of Texas since 2006” and that many “Texas cities have little or no zoning, resulting in homes being permitted next to sparely inspected businesses that store explosive chemicals.”
“My job, as I understand it, is to be provocative,” Ohman wrote. “I provoke, you decide. I don’t dictate, I put out my opinion along with everyone else. I sign my name. I own it. In my opinion, I could have gone further. Much further.”
California has seen Perry’s touting of his state’s pro-business prowess firsthand. In February, a public-private Texas marketing firm ran radio ads featuring Perry denigrating California’s taxes and regulation, and then Perry traveled there to recruit jobs. He made a similar trip — this time backed by a print-media ad buy — to Chicago this past week.
Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, also a Republican, called for Ohman to be fired.
“I think it’s reprehensible for a member of the media to sit in safety and mock such a profound tragedy regardless of any ‘point’ he is trying to make,” Dewhurst said.
Perry, meanwhile, wrote that the newspaper “owes the community of West, Texas, an immediate apology for your detestable attempt at satire.”
Ohman posted that he had received “varying levels of concern about the cartoon depicting Gov. Rick Perry’s marketing of Texas’ loose regulations, juxtaposed with the explosion of the fertilizer plant in West, Texas,” but that he would draw the cartoon again without thinking twice.
___
Eds: Associated Press Writer Juliet Williams in Sacramento contributed to this report.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Nbadan
04-26-2013, 11:54 PM
:lol

baseline bum
04-27-2013, 12:16 AM
:lol Perry trying to hide behind the people killed

Nbadan
04-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Asshat is thinking of running again in 2016

boutons_deux
04-27-2013, 12:32 AM
RickyBobby is such whiny wimp. Trying to poach CA companies, got some serious pushback. :lol

Wild Cobra
04-27-2013, 03:24 AM
Yep, it's a great laugh for you libtards... Laughing at other peoples deaths...

boutons_deux
04-27-2013, 09:01 AM
nobody's laughing at the dead and damages, but laughing at RickyBobby. TX is an pro-business/anti-citizen misogynistic/racist state run in an unregulated "cowboy" style, a Randian paradise. BOOM!

TX judges are letting Keystone steal land from Texans under the "common carrier" LIE.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-27-2013, 01:41 PM

They're laughing at Perry's actions, dumbass.

xrayzebra
04-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Stupid liberal cartoon. Should put one up showing Obama and Dumbo. Both have a lot in common.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Perry is a moron. All his actions did is bring the cartoon some attention. Even some of the stupid rednecks of this state will realize the connection between laissez fair and the explosion when its put right in front of their face.

Juggity
04-27-2013, 09:15 PM
"The trouble with Ronald Reagan is not that he was ignorant: It's just that he suffered from Alzheimer's and didn't have a firm grasp on reality for the last 20 years of his life"

Wild Cobra
04-27-2013, 10:38 PM
They're laughing at Perry's actions, dumbass.
How are his actions related to a very bad disaster that killed people?

Now consider how many people get humor out of that.

It's fucking pathetic.

LnGrrrR
04-27-2013, 11:33 PM
How are his actions related to a very bad disaster that killed people?

Now consider how many people get humor out of that.

It's fucking pathetic.

Well, if he talks about lower regulations being great for business, and one of the consequences of those lower regulations is that some facilities don't get inspected for decades, I think that's a fair comparison to make, certainly. I'm not sure what the inspection schedule/cycle is for facilities like that in other states. Hopefully it's more frequent than every 20 years or so.

Wild Cobra
04-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Well, if he talks about lower regulations being great for business, and one of the consequences of those lower regulations is that some facilities don't get inspected for decades, I think that's a fair comparison to make, certainly. I'm not sure what the inspection schedule/cycle is for facilities like that in other states. Hopefully it's more frequent than every 20 years or so.
I see... mistakes, that a regulation would have prevented...

You are making the assumption, or are defending the assumption, that this accident was cause by some preventable mistake.

What is it was something completely unexpected, or sabotage?

Do regulations stop people who don't obey the laws?

What if CC's "what if" is correct, and it was the actions of the firefighters that caused the explosion? What if it had nothing to do with regulations? Shouldn't such allegations, and acceptance of such allegations, wait for evidence? Wouldn't that be the smart thing to do?

ElNono
04-28-2013, 01:28 AM
What if

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Wild Cobra
04-28-2013, 01:33 AM
The expected response from the peanut gallery...

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

FuzzyLumpkins
04-28-2013, 03:13 AM
The expected response from the peanut gallery...

Actually, its analogous to the cartoon in that it's laughing at the fool. He has a similar sense of humor to the cartoonist it seems.

I have a 'what if' though. What if you were to not make up stories to exonerate your political allegiance. All your stories have the same ending.

exstatic
04-28-2013, 08:31 AM
RickyBobby is such whiny wimp. Trying to poach CA companies, got some serious pushback. :lol

This.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2013, 09:31 AM
I see... mistakes, that a regulation would have prevented...

You are making the assumption, or are defending the assumption, that this accident was cause by some preventable mistake.

What is it was something completely unexpected, or sabotage?

Do regulations stop people who don't obey the laws?

What if CC's "what if" is correct, and it was the actions of the firefighters that caused the explosion? What if it had nothing to do with regulations? Shouldn't such allegations, and acceptance of such allegations, wait for evidence? Wouldn't that be the smart thing to do?

If they had inspected it over the past two decades, we might have a much better answer and wouldn't have to rely on what ifs. Isn't that what regulations/standards/inspections are for? And if people aren't obeying the laws, then the companies fail their inspections, fire the people not doing their jobs, then hire new people who will.

Also, isn't it more likely that the explosion was due to improper practices/faulty equipment than sabotage? It's going to be hard to determine NOW if the equipment is at fault, since, you know, the whole place exploded. We wouldn't HAVE to be speculating half as much if they just had an inspection, say, three years ago.

Wild Cobra
04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
If they had inspected it over the past two decades, we might have a much better answer and wouldn't have to rely on what ifs. Isn't that what regulations/standards/inspections are for? And if people aren't obeying the laws, then the companies fail their inspections, fire the people not doing their jobs, then hire new people who will.

Also, isn't it more likely that the explosion was due to improper practices/faulty equipment than sabotage? It's going to be hard to determine NOW if the equipment is at fault, since, you know, the whole place exploded. We wouldn't HAVE to be speculating half as much if they just had an inspection, say, three years ago.
So...

Just how liberal do you want to get on regulations and paying for inspectors?

Let's take your "watchman" attitude to a farther extreme. Lets post a policeman at your doorstep, so we know what leads up to the crime you commit in the future.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2013, 03:33 PM
So...

Just how liberal do you want to get on regulations and paying for inspectors?

Let's take your "watchman" attitude to a farther extreme. Lets post a policeman at your doorstep, so we know what leads up to the crime you commit in the future.

Bravo WC. So now, inspecting a plant that can hold tons of highly explosive material more than once every 30 years is akin to instituting thought crime. Could you be any more of a hack?

No, but you're right, the money they saved on inspections those 30 years was totally worth it. I'm sure the families who lost loved ones would agree.

Wild Cobra
04-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Bravo WC. So now, inspecting a plant that can hold tons of highly explosive material more than once every 30 years is akin to instituting thought crime. Could you be any more of a hack?

No, but you're right, the money they saved on inspections those 30 years was totally worth it. I'm sure the families who lost loved ones would agree.
Again, you are taking this from the perspective that something was done wrong.

Would the inspection have eliminated sabotage if this was intentional?

How many times have you seen everyone clean up their act for an inspection, just to go back to the same routine after inspectors left?

Doesn't a business have a vested interest in being safe?

There is no way to be 100% safe. In the case of high pressure containment, I think you pro government regulators are grasping at straws. I see this as a reason to cause more government intrusion Rahm.

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.

Rahm Emanuel

Wild Cobra
04-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Wouldn't it be prudent to find out the cause, before talking about more government oversight?

LnGrrrR
04-28-2013, 04:30 PM
No, whether something was done "wrong" or not is completely beside the point. Inspections are used not only to see if something is wrong, but also as historical documentation for when things are working correctly and fail. If inspections were being done more regularly, and there's no way that x component should have failed, then that means other factories using that equipment should check their stuff.

does a business have a vested interest in being safe? Depends on the bottom line, doesn't it? If a company thinks it is more cost effective to skip inspections, then they might be likely to do so.

Even if someone/thing "cleans up their act" for an inspection, at least that means they are up to date at that moment. Besides, I thought you said the company should have a ""vested interest" in doing things the right way?

"Pro government regulation"? Really? Considering that Tim McVeigh used ammonia nitrate for his bomb, and that there are obviously SOME risk factors at play (you know like the whole place fucking exploding), don't you think a little regulation is in order?

pgardn
04-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Doesn't a business have a vested interest in being safe?

No.
Not at all in some cases.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-28-2013, 11:42 PM
:lol Dumbass doesn't see the value in regulating nitrate factories.

What do profit motivation mean?

Wild Cobra
04-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Far less negative impact than the police not ticketing people for bad driving habits, that end up killing how many thousands each year?

LnGrrrR
04-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Far less negative impact than the police not ticketing people for bad driving habits, that end up killing how many thousands each year?

That analogy makes no sense. What you're actually saying: police don't/can't stop ever bad driver; therefore inspections shouldn't occur. Do you see how those two pieces don't go together?

George Gervin's Afro
04-29-2013, 07:24 AM
rick you're a dick

Wild Cobra
04-29-2013, 07:29 AM
That analogy makes no sense. What you're actually saying: police don't/can't stop ever bad driver; therefore inspections shouldn't occur. Do you see how those two pieces don't go together?
LOL...

Close. I'm saying there are larger issues to deal with. Police flat out ignore such infractions by drivers with dangerous driving habits.

Lack of or lax inspections probably increase such accidents. How many people die each year? How many might have been prevented with inspections? It's a pretty small number, isn't it?

Reckless driving habits of people are plainly visible all the time, and thousands of deaths occur annually from something that is much more clearly preventable.

As a nation, what would you prefer? To tackle the meaningful issues, or the ones the media portrays that tugs on your heartstrings? If you are really concerned about preventable accidents, shouldn't we start with the largest source, and most easily remedied?

I'm sorry, but I have a very big problem with the idea of focusing on a tragedy that is very, very, rare, vs. the daily vehicular deaths. We all see the idiots on the road. We all know that some day, they will likely cause an accident.

LnGrrrR
04-29-2013, 07:54 AM
LOL...

Close. I'm saying there are larger issues to deal with. Police flat out ignore such infractions by drivers with dangerous driving habits.

Lack of or lax inspections probably increase such accidents. How many people die each year? How many might have been prevented with inspections? It's a pretty small number, isn't it?

Reckless driving habits of people are plainly visible all the time, and thousands of deaths occur annually from something that is much more clearly preventable.

As a nation, what would you prefer? To tackle the meaningful issues, or the ones the media portrays that tugs on your heartstrings? If you are really concerned about preventable accidents, shouldn't we start with the largest source, and most easily remedied?

I'm sorry, but I have a very big problem with the idea of focusing on a tragedy that is very, very, rare, vs. the daily vehicular deaths. We all see the idiots on the road. We all know that some day, they will likely cause an accident.

WC, I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. I'm not saying that they should be inspected every 6 months, or even every year. However, I don't think an inspection each 5 or even 10 years would be that strenuous. Would you agree with that statement?

And there's nothing that says I can't be concerned about more than one thing at a time. Frankly, given that we just had a terrorist (yes, I know there were no political ramifications known making it technically "not" terrorism, whatever) attack, AND an accident involving a building that stores a highly explosive material, I think now's a great time to look at making our inspection policies more timely.

Finally, this is MUCH easier to fix than stopping vehicular deaths. We don't have to rely on millions of cops doing their job, analyzing millions of drivers. This is an inspection for a building. It's comparing apples and oranges. If we wait until we "fix" a certain issue to fix other issues, then nothing would ever get done. "Guys, you can't worry about developing a more effective vaccine for the flu, millions are dying of cancer!"

boutons_deux
04-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Regulations of businesses are required, inspection frequent, infractions fined heavily, because its mortally obvious that businesses refuse to self regulate.

eg, 500+ killed "walking down the corn" over decades.

oil spills, refinery explosions, foreclosure fraud/home-stealing, etc, etc.

BobaFett1
04-29-2013, 09:12 AM

If a conseravtive did this cartoon Chris Matthews would be crying foul.

boutons_deux
04-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Republicans Have Created a World Where Going to Work Can Get You Killed

Conservatives spend inordinate amounts of time trying to neuter the government from its role as a regulatory body with the power to rein in corporate depravity. For them, unfettered capitalism is a religion because the “invisible hand” of the market place is supposed to somehow overcome the malevolent tendencies of the profit-motive and churn out a healthy society. The rash of employee deaths on the job across a number of industries has received inadequate responses from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) for several decades now as conservatives have undermined them. There is one additional guarantee for employers across the country; no matter how egregious their worker safety violations become, they know they will never have to face real criminal consequences.

OHSA isn’t doing any better at protecting the oil & gas workforce, steel mill workers, trench diggers, or as we all keenly aware following the West, Texas explosion, chemical plant workers. During a 4-month period in 2010, 58 workers were killed in the oil and gas industry, and one union health and safety inspector notes (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/06/10/95701/oil-gas-worker-safety-record-weak.html), “They are basically self-regulated.” It isn’t surprising, because the penalties that OSHA is allowed to assess are among the lowest of any regulatory agency. By law, they haven’t been able to increase penalties (http://www.nationofchange.org/even-after-workplace-deaths-companies-avoid-osha-penalties-1356193566) with inflation since 1990. They are not even allowed to force an employer to fix a safety hazard after they issue a citation, often settling for a “pledge” from the company to behave. For example, a worker death at Crucible Steel Industries came after OHSA had cited the company for 70 safety violations and issued it $250,000 in fines. These figures stand out, because “serious” violations defined by OSHA as “most likely result in death or serious physical harm” carry a maximum penalty of $7,000 and “willful” violations receive a maximum fine of $36,720.

Despite its lack of substantive regulatory power, Republicans have worked hard for decades to eliminate the ability of OSHA to do its job (http://www.remappingdebate.org/article/caution-going-work-may-still-be-dangerous-your-health?page=0,4). There are only 2,200 inspectors for 8 million work sites (http://www.salon.com/2012/03/02/obamas_osha_improved_but_still_weak/). Many Democratic lawmakers, listening to health and safety experts, agree (http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-180164607/lawmakers-osha-criminal-civil-penalties-weak-and#articleDetails) that OSHA is “weak and ineffective” and therefore, they have proposed laws (http://www.publicintegrity.org/2013/03/28/12403/bill-aims-strengthen-osha-workplace-enforcement) strengthening the agency. This is particularly evident when reviewing OSHA procedures for handling worker safety complaints (http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/Directive_pdf/CPL_02-00-150.pdf#page=222). Once an employee contacts OSHA to report their workplace, the agency does not immediately send inspectors to investigate the problem. Instead, they notify the employer, ask the employer to investigate the reported safety violation, and then the employer has five days to report back to the agency. If the agency is satisfied with the response given by the employer, no inspection is scheduled. Essentially, businesses are free to police themselves. Clearly, that is not working.

http://www.politicususa.com/republicans-created-world-work-killed.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29 (http://www.politicususa.com/republicans-created-world-work-killed.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29)

BobaFett1
04-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Republicans Have Created a World Where Going to Work Can Get You Killed

Conservatives spend inordinate amounts of time trying to neuter the government from its role as a regulatory body with the power to rein in corporate depravity. For them, unfettered capitalism is a religion because the “invisible hand” of the market place is supposed to somehow overcome the malevolent tendencies of the profit-motive and churn out a healthy society. The rash of employee deaths on the job across a number of industries has received inadequate responses from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) for several decades now as conservatives have undermined them. There is one additional guarantee for employers across the country; no matter how egregious their worker safety violations become, they know they will never have to face real criminal consequences.
OHSA isn’t doing any better at protecting the oil & gas workforce, steel mill workers, trench diggers, or as we all keenly aware following the West, Texas explosion, chemical plant workers. During a 4-month period in 2010, 58 workers were killed in the oil and gas industry, and one union health and safety inspector notes (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/06/10/95701/oil-gas-worker-safety-record-weak.html), “They are basically self-regulated.” It isn’t surprising, because the penalties that OSHA is allowed to assess are among the lowest of any regulatory agency. By law, they haven’t been able to increase penalties (http://www.nationofchange.org/even-after-workplace-deaths-companies-avoid-osha-penalties-1356193566) with inflation since 1990. They are not even allowed to force an employer to fix a safety hazard after they issue a citation, often settling for a “pledge” from the company to behave. For example, a worker death at Crucible Steel Industries came after OHSA had cited the company for 70 safety violations and issued it $250,000 in fines. These figures stand out, because “serious” violations defined by OSHA as “most likely result in death or serious physical harm” carry a maximum penalty of $7,000 and “willful” violations receive a maximum fine of $36,720.
Despite its lack of substantive regulatory power, Republicans have worked hard for decades to eliminate the ability of OSHA to do its job (http://www.remappingdebate.org/article/caution-going-work-may-still-be-dangerous-your-health?page=0,4). There are only 2,200 inspectors for 8 million work sites (http://www.salon.com/2012/03/02/obamas_osha_improved_but_still_weak/). Many Democratic lawmakers, listening to health and safety experts, agree (http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-180164607/lawmakers-osha-criminal-civil-penalties-weak-and#articleDetails) that OSHA is “weak and ineffective” and therefore, they have proposed laws (http://www.publicintegrity.org/2013/03/28/12403/bill-aims-strengthen-osha-workplace-enforcement) strengthening the agency. This is particularly evident when reviewing OSHA procedures for handling worker safety complaints (http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/Directive_pdf/CPL_02-00-150.pdf#page=222). Once an employee contacts OSHA to report their workplace, the agency does not immediately send inspectors to investigate the problem. Instead, they notify the employer, ask the employer to investigate the reported safety violation, and then the employer has five days to report back to the agency. If the agency is satisfied with the response given by the employer, no inspection is scheduled. Essentially, businesses are free to police themselves. Clearly, that is not working.
http://www.politicususa.com/republicans-created-world-work-killed.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29

It is not the repubs and libtards that killed anyone. I guess you libtards blame someone else for a tragedy.

Wild Cobra
04-29-2013, 03:38 PM
WC, I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. I'm not saying that they should be inspected every 6 months, or even every year. However, I don't think an inspection each 5 or even 10 years would be that strenuous. Would you agree with that statement?

Look...

I wouldn't disagree that periodic inspections would be good. I'm just of the impression that you think it would have made a difference in this case. I simply don't think it would have.

And there's nothing that says I can't be concerned about more than one thing at a time. Frankly, given that we just had a terrorist (yes, I know there were no political ramifications known making it technically "not" terrorism, whatever) attack, AND an accident involving a building that stores a highly explosive material, I think now's a great time to look at making our inspection policies more timely.

Wouldn't a terrorist be more incline to want to obtain the factories product instead of blowing it up?

Finally, this is MUCH easier to fix than stopping vehicular deaths.

See, that's what I disagree with. Sometimes in this chaotic world, shit happens. No matter how much to try to prevent bad things from happening, we are not Gods.

We don't have to rely on millions of cops doing their job, analyzing millions of drivers.
The police are out there to Protect and Serve. They aren't protecting anybody when they see and don't stop dangerous drivers. Hell, I'll bet most people don't understand how dangerous their driving is. Society has allowed generations of reckless driving now.

This is an inspection for a building. It's comparing apples and oranges. If we wait until we "fix" a certain issue to fix other issues, then nothing would ever get done. "Guys, you can't worry about developing a more effective vaccine for the flu, millions are dying of cancer!"

Again, show me something needs to be fixed first. We should wait for the investigative results of the accident.

RandomGuy
04-29-2013, 05:16 PM

What if?

From what I understand, regulations require that nearby fire departments are informed and trained to fight the fires. Morally it was the responsibility of the owner to do that.

If they didn't bear the cost, then their profits very directly came at the negative externality of the firefighters lives, however well meaning the owner.

People like you bitch abou tthe cost of gubmint regulations, when all those regulations tend to do, is make sure that the TRUE cost of a good or a product is fully paid for by the business itself, and all such negative externalities are paid.

Nbadan
04-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Perry's indignation wasn't about the explosion and neither was Ohman’s cartoon. Ohman used the explosion as a metaphor. The purpose of the cartoon was to target Rick Perry and his policies, not West’s victims. Most realists in Texas know that Rick Perry is upset by nothing, unless it has to do with Rick Perry and Rick Perry’s image. The cartoon portrayed him as the scoundrel he is, that's why he's mad.

http://lubbockonline.com/interact/blog-post/carol-morgan/2013-04-28/rick-perry-was-stung-bee

The Reckoning
04-30-2013, 01:27 AM
when the hell will this chode leave office?

George Gervin's Afro
04-30-2013, 07:52 AM
but he's got great hair!

Wild Cobra
04-30-2013, 07:57 AM
What if?

From what I understand, regulations require that nearby fire departments are informed and trained to fight the fires. Morally it was the responsibility of the owner to do that.

If they didn't bear the cost, then their profits very directly came at the negative externality of the firefighters lives, however well meaning the owner.

People like you bitch abou tthe cost of gubmint regulations, when all those regulations tend to do, is make sure that the TRUE cost of a good or a product is fully paid for by the business itself, and all such negative externalities are paid.
Wow...

Such certainty, and we don't know the cause yet.

I understand Boutons. Blame the evil corporations, no matter what.

boutons_deux
04-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Blame the evil corporations, no matter what.

WC: "blame the evil employees."

ChumpDumper
04-30-2013, 02:21 PM
What if CC's "what if" is correct, and it was the actions of the firefighters that caused the explosion?Texas under Perry slashed the money allocated to the training of volunteer fire departments as well, so there's that.

Wild Cobra
05-01-2013, 03:43 AM
Texas under Perry slashed the money allocated to the training of volunteer fire departments as well, so there's that.
This may be true. However... Isn't such a thing suppose to be paid by communities?

As a nation, we need to ween ourselves off of big government. Stop expecting the state to do local stuff. Stop expecting the feds to do state stuff.

My God people...

ChumpDumper
05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
This may be true. However... Isn't such a thing suppose to be paid by communities?

As a nation, we need to ween ourselves off of big government. Stop expecting the state to do local stuff. Stop expecting the feds to do state stuff.

My God people...True. We need to blame blame the victims as much as possible.

Even if they are Republicans.

boutons_deux
05-01-2013, 01:25 PM

My God people...

rurals have benefited from super cheap phone service through the socialistic Universal Service Fund. Should that be abandoned and the rurals forced to pay back what it really cost to run a telephone to their isolated houses?

do you think rural electric and telephone coops should be privatized, eg, like Barry is proposing to do with TVA?

TeyshaBlue
05-01-2013, 01:35 PM

Ever think there's a reason the communities have a volunteer fire department?

smh

Homeland Security
05-01-2013, 01:58 PM
So was the ultimate result of the West explosion 15 canceled Czechs?

Th'Pusher
05-01-2013, 02:38 PM
^ ��