PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Lakers - Round 1, Game 3

timvp
04-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Tim Duncan A+
Wow. What can be said about a 37-year-old who was by far the best player on the court? Duncan's outside jumper was going and that opened up everything else. Whether on the low post, running the court or catching it on the perimeter, he was a monster. On D, he battled hard and rebounded well. Duncan was locked in from the opening tip and had a great game. Even more importantly, he looks to be in outstanding health right now.

Manu Ginobili A-
His numbers aren't as spectacular as they were in the first two games but Ginobili's play was just as promising -- if not more promising. He was exploding well toward the basket, defending with aggression and he exhibited more confidence when making quick bursts. Outside of a few sloppy possessions, Ginobili took another step in the right direction.

Tony Parker B+
Parker's play, particularly in pick-and-roll sets, was instrumental in putting the Lakers back on their heels. His attacking was great in the first half and produced a ton of open shots. In the third quarter, he turned it over too much but otherwise did well maintaining the pressure. I have to knock him a bit due to a handful of lackadaisical possessions on D -- but given his competition, it was understandable.

Kawhi Leonard B+
There was nothing too amazing out of Leonard but he again was an extremely positive force. On offense, his ability to shoot jumpers off the dribble continues to look more and more natural. With the Lakers were forced to go small, he was able to show off his burgeoning moves on the post. On D, while there wasn't much for him to guard against, he provided swift help and was seemingly always in the mix.

Danny Green B-
His stats look better but I wasn't too thrilled with how Green played. Early on, I thought he was forcing shots. Coming out of the gates, it appeared to me as if were pressing -- and that's not a good sign. He settled down as the night progressed but he needs to relax a bit and let the game come to him. The bright spots were his hustle and his play in transition.

Tiago Splitter B-
This big win was marred by a Splitter ankle injury. Early reports have him out up to 10 days. Obviously, this is bad timing. The Spurs will find it much more difficult to win in the second round if they don't have Splitter. As far as this game, he was better. He was less soft, held his ground on D well and boarded better. His finishing is still uncharacteristically poor but the Spurs will surely miss him while he's gone.

Matt Bonner A-
The playoff series of Bonner's life continues. He buried a couple more three-pointers, made quick decisions on O and was a threat the Lakers had to account for at all times. He didn't have quite as much success on D as last game but he was again physical, did a great job of keeping his arms up and wasn't shy about committing hard fouls when necessary.

Gary Neal C-
At times Neal was the Lakers best defender. He was breaking the offense too much -- whether it was to shoot or aimlessly dribble. That he was without a field goal when the game was in doubt made his ball-dominant ways even more annoying. I'll give him some credit for trying hard on D and for providing really good effort on the glass, though.

Cory Joseph A
Since the playoffs have started, Joseph has been a man possessed. I am in love with how he's playing right now. Everything is fast, with purpose, with energy and with physicality. He doesn't take a possession off and he's brimming with confidence. I'm not sure where this has come from but let us hope it stays around. His play at backup point guard is close to perfect right now.

DeJuan Blair B+
I didn't like his defense this game. Blair wasn't doing his work early and was caught out of position repeatedly. That said, there was a whole lot to like about his offense. He ran the court fantastically. His touch around the basket was superb. His screens were great and his timing on rolls was excellent. Add in very good passing (and rebounding) and it was definitely a quality night at the office.

Pop A-
Pop's button-pushing is masterful right now. His rotation makes a ton of sense. He's unveiling new plays left and right -- and they're working. My only minor quibble tonight is that I thought he could have bought more rest for Duncan … but other than that, Pop is rolling.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2013, 01:59 AM
Green is not a B- but otherwise good stuff!

TheyCallMePro
04-27-2013, 02:01 AM
Cory Joseph was AWESOME tonight. Ginobli got the bench going. Duncan was unconscious. Neal and Splitter couldn't get going as usual. Same with Danny until garbage time. We are playing an extremely limited and flawed team, and I think it's disguising a lot of our mistakes, but still. A+ performance tonight. Let's close this one out Sunday.

EricB
04-27-2013, 02:03 AM
Disagree vehemently with Parker's grade.

Robz4000
04-27-2013, 02:09 AM
TP looked the best he's looked since the ankle injury imo, tho I only caught the first half.

Brunodf
04-27-2013, 02:10 AM
:tu

BillMc
04-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Thanks as always for the grades!:toast

timvp
04-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Green is not a B- but otherwise good stuff!

Disagree vehemently with Parker's grade.

Tbh, I'd find it easier to respond if I knew the direction of your disagreements, IMO.

crc21209
04-27-2013, 02:25 AM
The best part about each game that passes is that Tony looks more and more like himself....:tu

007nites
04-27-2013, 02:29 AM
I was hoping Baynes, Patty, and Cojo would be on the quick grades as well. Tbh I thought Neal was hogging the ball too much in garbage time.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2013, 02:29 AM
Tbh, I'd find it easier to respond if I knew the direction of your disagreements, IMO.

You said you were not too thrilled and thought the game came to him later but B- is too much IMO! I give him a C at best! B anything is too much for him right now IMO! I am glad as hell we won but man thats too much right now. He is not playing well right now on both ends.

jestersmash
04-27-2013, 02:37 AM
I liked the fact that Pop made a concerted effort to get Leonard more involved in the offense, especially when he had a mismatch in the post. That was sorely missing in game 1 and even game 2, albeit to a lesser extent.

I liked the fact that Leonard is slowly (re?)-expanding his game to take that pull up mid range jumper out of the pick and roll. We saw a lot of that during summer league and during the early regular season, but I thought he went away from that for much of the latter half of the regular season. Nice to see his pick and roll to pull up re-emerge.

jesterbobman
04-27-2013, 02:37 AM
Neal showed the downside of iso/1 on 1 scorers. It's good to have the option if the offense goes in the tank, but if the offense is working well at all, it shouldn't happen, it's just less efficient. Thought he was comfortably the weakest Spur tonight.

Cory was fantastic. Like Hill before him, passiveness can be a concern, but when he's playing like a disruptive little guy who's aiming to piss off opposing players and play with physicality, he's excellent.

Kawhi posting on Laker guards seemed cruel. They fronted him, guards tossed it out of their reach, Kawhi grabbed and then had easy looks against small players from 5 feet away. They could've run that all game if it got close, the only answer is doubling and TD(WOW) and Bonner are good enough shooters to make that a losing proposition.

It should end in 2 days.

JingleJangleJingle
04-27-2013, 02:39 AM
TP looked the best he's looked since the ankle injury imo, tho I only caught the first half.

he was kinda lazy in the 2nd half and had a ton of dumb turnovers.

HI-FI
04-27-2013, 02:43 AM
i can be a TP hater but I don't mind the grade. besides, timvp gives Parker the Pitchfork treatment with his grades, it's almost always in the B range no matter what.:hat

Robz4000
04-27-2013, 03:00 AM
he was kinda lazy in the 2nd half and had a ton of dumb turnovers.

By then the game was basically over. As long as he didn't look bad athletically it's fine.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-27-2013, 03:12 AM
Good grades timvp, thanks as always. One thing that concerned me regarding pop was that line up in the 2nd I believe with CoJo, green, neal, blair...It was pretty damn terrible for playoff standards tbh, lets just hope pop was screwing around and new the team was in no danger because if he plays that line up in the 2nd round they'll get burned imho

waisman
04-27-2013, 03:47 AM
TP Bad condition ?

spurs10
04-27-2013, 03:59 AM
In all honesty does anyone think we shoot 60 +% without TP's play and aggression. Yes he wasn't unconscious like 3rd qtr game 2, and he turned the ball over 3 times in a row, but he was far from worrisome to me. We win by 30, Tim is off the chart PERIOD!!, Manu again looks great. and TP looked pretty damn spry for someone getting the crap knocked out of him consistently. I'm optimistic about the playoffs, and have been concerned after our end o f the season collapse. It was probably somewhat orchestrated to an extent. Now is the time to play!!
:flag::flag::flag:

SanDiegoSpursFan
04-27-2013, 04:25 AM
I think TP still isn't 100%, but the d-league combo made him look as quick as he normally is.

99 Problems
04-27-2013, 04:32 AM
One for the ages. TP, besides the short TO spate was brilliant. TD, only a true wordsmith could do him credit. Red Mamba, he went to All Star Weekend did he not. CJ, wow he looks a playoff player. Blair, I will not rest until he dunks over Dwight.

100%duncan
04-27-2013, 06:28 AM
I think you can switch Manu's with TP's but fair enough. Thanks LJ.

Old School 44
04-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Nice grades. TP played great, but I think he let Goudelock gain some confidence by hitting those 3s.
But really nothing too much to complain about across the board.

Darius McCrary
04-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Tentative injured splitter = we are fishing in 2 weeks.

Brazil
04-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Who defended Goudelock most of the time?

itsamanuthree
04-27-2013, 09:44 AM
I really expected to see Manu getting a B or something. I'm really glad to see Timvp is an intelligent person who's able to look beyond stats, because I thought Manu was looking great. The game didn't demand much from him, but he was very sharp passing and reading his teammates and opponents, stealing the ball, and made all good unselfish decisions. :toast

I hope he can keep doing just that. Even if he doens't take many shots, I know it's because he deemed the team didn't need him to, and that would be a good sign. When needed to score, I'm sure he will be up to the challenge.

On the other hand, I was happy to see Parker drive his defenders mad again. I think he got a little bit greedy, or blind, whatever, after half time though, for instance trying to dribble past 3 or 4 guys, and lossing the ball, of course. It's a good thing it happened now though, so Pop can start giving him a good talk about it before we face a tougher opponent.

freetiago
04-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Popovich is far from an A tbh
some of the defensive plans should have been adjusted
Gasol isnt worthy of a double team
they should be showing him as much respect as they show Kendrick Perkins tbh
not doubling him and freeing up the Lakers one dimensional 3 point shooters

and he also thinks he can fuck around in the playoffs
that 2nd quarter lineup which he let play for around 6 minutes
something like joseph/neal/green/bonner/blair
save that for the 2nd half once theyre down by 30
not when you have a 15 point lead in the first
dont give them an opportunity to make it close

Legacy
04-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the grades, timvp. :D

... Hoping Tiago has a speedy recovery.

Chinook
04-27-2013, 11:31 AM
I thought Green played well. It's not very often that he can be as aggressive as he was and finish 5-7 with no turnovers. Everything was working for him in the second half. I know that's mainly because of who was guarding him, but that was kind of the point. Green needed a glorified practice like this to get his rhythm back -- which is why I think Pop kept him in for as long as he did in the fourth. I thought this was the best game he played since the regular-season game against the Lakers. His defense was good, and his mid-range game was nice to see.

ElNono
04-27-2013, 11:47 AM
The impression I got about Green is that he couldn't shot for shit when the team actually needed it, but started hitting when the team was already up 20+... which is really the story of Matty's playoff life before this series.

letmk
04-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Other than Neal, who doesn't fit with the offense for the whole night, I don't think anybody else plays bad, including Splitter and Green.

From grading wise, Tony deserves B+ with too many TOs. But I'm even more encouraged by his movement and his versatile attacking approaches than after game 2.

Tim is simply amazing, and no words can describe how lucky Spurs fans are. For that lob, I was wondering if Green just saw a open cut and didn't think much, or he really saw it was Tim and still trusted Tim can catch and dunk it. It's totally unexpected, thus so exciting.

wildbill2u
04-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Green was adequate in garbage time. Until then he sucked. If he gained some confidence in his shot, well and good. Otherwise he really isn't worthy of starting but we'd have to plug Manu in there and that would hurt the second unit. We just have to hope he'll come around.

Bruno
04-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Lakers aren't a good matchup for Green. They just don't have a classical SG to put Green on. Not having that well defined task defensively push him to step outside his offensive role.

Chinook
04-27-2013, 03:50 PM
The impression I got about Green is that he couldn't shot for shit when the team actually needed it, but started hitting when the team was already up 20+... which is really the story of Matty's playoff life before this series.

I don't know if that evaluation is fair. Green only missed two shots, so that well within the margin of error. Both came with the Spurs up by 10. His makes were when the Spurs were up by 12, 10, 16, 21 and 26. He definitely got a few of his points in garbage time, but most of the game was garbage time, so that's not surprising.

Green got his first three rebounds when the Spurs were up by less than 14 (including the first two when the Spurs were up by less than five), and he got his first two assists when the game was within seven (the other two in garbage time).

That's not even mentioning that Morris and Goudelock did almost nothing when Green was in the game until garbage time. Danny definitely earned his plus-minus -- he was leading the team in that category until the final run.

EVAY
04-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Parker said today in an interview that his vision was blurred after getting hit in the eye last night, and that during and after the game he was a bit light-headed. He said the vision was still blurry today, but that the docs said that it should be fine by tomorrow.

Let's hope he is right.