PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: OFFICIAL Lakers Offseason Thread

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Laker fans...let's talk about the offseason. This season has been beyond lame and boring. I've never seen so many Laker fans so contempt with getting swept since this team has been shit from top to bottom all year. Let's talk about where the organization goes from here, on keeping D12, should they move forward with Kobe or amnesty him? Any offseason signings...etc

midnightpulp
04-27-2013, 04:39 AM
Bury Nash and Metta and Blake in a shallow grave. Amnesty, trade Pau. Develop a fuckin' youth movement for once. Like I said in another thread, this isn't "bad luck." Mitch, Jim and Co. created the perfect environment for an injury plagued season by signing/resigning injury prone old players, trading away all their picks, never finding a backup for Kobe, and hiring Mike D'Antoni, who is known to overwork his players.

The Lakers need to bite the bullet for once and rebuild. You can't always solve your problems through free agency and marquee signings. Dwight, as overrated as he is, is still a good centerpiece to build a competitive team around. Also of primary importance is Kobe adjusting to a role player's role when he returns. He was at the tail end of his superstar form this year, anyhow, and now with the injury, there's no way he should be the offensive focus of any team with playoff aspirations. Time for Kobe to accept 28 minutes per game averaging 15-18ppg.

Unless a better superstar option comes around, this needs to be Dwight's team (which isn't ideal, considering Dwight's limitations, but the Lakers really have no other choice).

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Bury Nash and Metta and Blake in a shallow grave. Amnesty, trade Pau. Develop a fuckin' youth movement for once. Like I said in another thread, this isn't "bad luck." Mitch, Jim and Co. created the perfect environment for an injury plagued season by signing/resigning injury prone old players, trading away all their picks, never finding a backup for Kobe, and hiring Mike D'Antoni, who is known to overwork his players.

The Lakers need to bite the bullet for once and rebuild. You can't always solve your problems through free agency and marquee signings. Dwight, as overrated as he is, is still a good centerpiece to build a competitive team around. Also of primary importance is Kobe adjusting to a role player's role when he returns. He was at the tail end of his superstar form this year, anyhow, and now with the injury, there's no way he should be the offensive focus of any team with playoff aspirations. Time for Kobe to accept 28 minutes per game averaging 15-18ppg.

Unless a better superstar option comes around, this needs to be Dwight's team (which isn't ideal, considering Dwight's limitations, but the Lakers really have no other choice).

Pretty much everything Magic Johnson said was spot on, time to rebuild and Jim Buss sucks. A friend of mine who is a high school bball coach and I had a talk 2 years ago about how Lakers should get Dwight and a solid pg and that's Kobe's only chance to win #6. We talked about how IF that happens Kobe has to take a huge step back and be a leader and a role player instead of the chucker. He proved this season, that he refuses to be a part of a great team and wants to be THE ALPHA. With that said, I think it's time to let go of Bean.

It pain's me to say that because as a So Cal kid growing up I am a huge fan of his and he will always be my era's Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan. But the guy just refuses to be part of a TEAM game. In his prime, his athleticism and ridiculous offensive game was enough to not need to play as a team player to win championships, he was something unseen. Now, he's just a tall Allen Iverson. It's gonna suck ass when he's gone, but I look forward to the future, I just hope Jim Buss gets overruled some how.

Monster1776
04-27-2013, 04:49 AM
God I hope y'all get your shit together. I've never seen a historic franchise like the Lakers sink so low. I fucking hate Kobe and the Lakers, but I hate seeing basketball and the league depreciating in value even more.

Monster1776
04-27-2013, 04:50 AM
Fuck Drose, Bynum, And Dwight and any other fake ass bitch getting paid millions to disgrace this great game.

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 04:53 AM
Fuck Drose, Bynum, And Dwight and any other fake ass bitch getting paid millions to disgrace this great game.

Partna I live 5 minutes from Hollywood, I've bumped into alot of NBA players. I'm not sure if you've ever seen these guys party but they act like 16 year old fuckin morons in person. It's really common to see them or a few Laker players at Hollywood clubs. These guys are the lowest of the lows in real life.

Mal
04-27-2013, 04:56 AM
They are in deep hole. They already own 78 mil to couple guys. They must resign bible Kemp. And Kobe probably wont walk next year. And they have 2nd round pick to bring young talent. :lmao

Monster1776
04-27-2013, 05:04 AM
Partna I live 5 minutes from Hollywood, I've bumped into alot of NBA players. I'm not sure if you've ever seen these guys party but they act like 16 year old fuckin morons in person. It's really common to see them or a few Laker players at Hollywood clubs. These guys are the lowest of the lows in real life.
Oh I have, I've balled with a bunch of them. Some of them are good dudes; believe it or not Blake Griffin is a dude that can be as humble as you can get along with several other guys like Ike Diogu and such. But it's hard to keep on the level when you get payed millions to play a game and just about ever other bitch is wanting to suck your dick. Was with Beasly in Vegas and that dude was fucking living in another fucking Universe his fucking rookie year. Talked with Harden at ASU and he was concerned about chasing that paper trail before getting that success with the Thunder. There's a bunch of good kids with good competitive hearts that get eaten alive and twisted by the fucking league; it's a shame, it's just like fucking hollywood. Too many talented college kids never get a chance to shine, and too many that do get that chance throw it away so they can enjoy their 10 minutes of fame.

midnightpulp
04-27-2013, 05:04 AM
Pretty much everything Magic Johnson said was spot on, time to rebuild and Jim Buss sucks. A friend of mine who is a high school bball coach and I had a talk 2 years ago about how Lakers should get Dwight and a solid pg and that's Kobe's only chance to win #6. We talked about how IF that happens Kobe has to take a huge step back and be a leader and a role player instead of the chucker. He proved this season, that he refuses to be a part of a great team and wants to be THE ALPHA. With that said, I think it's time to let go of Bean.

I also think the Lakers organization needs to jettison this "Championship or bust" mentality for a couple years. As long as the Heat are healthy, it's their league for the next 2 years at least. The short term goal should be to build a young, exciting team around Dwight that will compete but not necessarily contend, much like this year's Warriors. Keep Kobe for veteran leadership, morale, and the occasional vintage game (he can be the David Robinson to Dwight's young Tim Duncan). And maybe by the time that Heat window starts sliding down a little bit, Dwight will have developed into a leader, whatever young players the Lakers have will have become solid/borderline All-stars, and the Lakers will have evolved into a contender.

I understand the Lakers gun for a title every year, but this is one of times where they need to first lay the foundation and try to build something from the ground up instead of just applying a fresh new coat of paint.

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 05:06 AM
They are in deep hole. They already own 78 mil to couple guys. They must resign bible Kemp. And Kobe probably wont walk next year. And they have 2nd round pick to bring young talent. :lmao

Fuck man...when we had Dr. Buss as the owner I had faith we'd EVENTUALLY return. I still believe eventually, the powers to be will put the Lakers back on the map. But I REALLY hope the Lakers dont turn into the new Raiders of the NBA.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f276/Bravo7/crying.jpg

Monster1776
04-27-2013, 05:07 AM
I also think the Lakers organization needs to jettison this "Championship or bust" mentality for a couple years. As long as the Heat are healthy, it's their league for the next 2 years at least. The short term goal should be to build a young, exciting team around Dwight that will compete but not necessarily contend, much like this year's Warriors. Keep Kobe for veteran leadership, morale, and the occasional vintage game (he can be the David Robinson to Dwight's young Tim Duncan). And maybe by the time that Heat window starts sliding down a little bit, Dwight will have developed into a leader, whatever young players the Lakers have will have become solid/borderline All-stars, and the Lakers will have evolved into a contender.

I understand the Lakers gun for a title every year, but this is one of times where they need to first lay the foundation and try to build something from the ground up instead of just applying a fresh new coat of paint.

I talked to a NBA scout for the Orlando Magic a while back, the Lakers need to jettison Howard ASAP. The dude is a team cancer and can't be controlled. He's already spiraled way too far down the rabbit hole.

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 05:11 AM

It's interesting you mention that, I believe this is the new school LG era mentality and it's complete fuckin non-sense. At Dr. Buss' funeral, Phil Jackson talked about how Jerry brought him to his house late in 1999 and discussed how he just 'wanted to see the Lakers win 1 more time.' He really underlined how Dr. Buss really wanted to only see 1 more and relive the glory. At that point, it had been 10 years since the last title and all hell broke loose when Magic announced his HIV contraction.

Phil mentioned how he told him that he thought they had the nucleus to win more than 1 and that's what his goal would be. After winning 5 in 10 years, suddenly the new mentality is win a ring or the year was a failure. I agree that that's our goal as Laker fans, but you have to bite the bullet whether you like it or not and start rebuilding.

I am gonna miss the Kobe era alot, all bs aside, as will Spurs fans when TD, Manu, and Parker are gone and some new asshole noobs are running the team. But it's starting to become inevitable that we have to rebuild. I will end it by saying, I CANNOT imagine the ridiculous horror of next season if Mike D'antoni coaches and they try to bring the majority of these old guys back + a few young players to make up for it while Kobe sits out half the season.

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 05:18 AM
Oh I have, I've balled with a bunch of them. Some of them are good dudes; believe it or not Blake Griffin is a dude that can be as humble as you can get along with several other guys like Ike Diogu and such. But it's hard to keep on the level when you get payed millions to play a game and just about ever other bitch is wanting to suck your dick. Was with Beasly in Vegas and that dude was fucking living in another fucking Universe his fucking rookie year. Talked with Harden at ASU and he was concerned about chasing that paper trail before getting that success with the Thunder. There's a bunch of good kids with good competitive hearts that get eaten alive and twisted by the fucking league; it's a shame, it's just like fucking hollywood. Too many talented college kids never get a chance to shine, and too many that do get that chance throw it away so they can enjoy their 10 minutes of fame.

Westbrook, is that you? :lol

Monster1776
04-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Westbrook, is that you? :lol

No, I'd be wearing Joesph's fucking coat of many colors while squinting through my lensless glasses saying, "No more comments for you *brah*" if I was.

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 05:47 AM
No, I'd be wearing Joesph's fucking coat of many colors while squinting through my lensless glasses saying, "No more comments for you *brah*" if I was.

Ya'll niggas is trippin (just cuz the reporter asked did you guys lose the game or did Utah win it?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo7d9k83Y88

midnightpulp
04-27-2013, 05:50 AM
It's interesting you mention that, I believe this is the new school LG era mentality and it's complete fuckin non-sense. At Dr. Buss' funeral, Phil Jackson talked about how Jerry brought him to his house late in 1999 and discussed how he just 'wanted to see the Lakers win 1 more time.' He really underlined how Dr. Buss really wanted to only see 1 more and relive the glory. At that point, it had been 10 years since the last title and all hell broke loose when Magic announced his HIV contraction.

Phil mentioned how he told him that he thought they had the nucleus to win more than 1 and that's what his goal would be. After winning 5 in 10 years, suddenly the new mentality is win a ring or the year was a failure. I agree that that's our goal as Laker fans, but you have to bite the bullet whether you like it or not and start rebuilding.

I am gonna miss the Kobe era alot, all bs aside, as will Spurs fans when TD, Manu, and Parker are gone and some new asshole noobs are running the team. But it's starting to become inevitable that we have to rebuild. I will end it by saying, I CANNOT imagine the ridiculous horror of next season if Mike D'antoni coaches and they try to bring the majority of these old guys back + a few young players to make up for it while Kobe sits out half the season.

Yeah, it's totally unrealistic to think you can win a championship every year, and that mentality has led the Lakers into some rash signings and waiving of players over the past few years. I don't care what Artest did in '10, Ariza had just as an impressive of an outing the year prior, is 6 years younger, and matches up better in this new era of quick, long, athletic small forwards. If I remember, the Lakers didn't want to give him 33 million, which is what they wound up paying Artest anyway. His '09 campaign should've earned him a future with the Lakers, but a bigger "name" was available, and in time honored Lakers fashion, they preferred the name player. I always felt Ariza was just a perfect fit, from a roster and chemistry standpoint. Artest has been a trainwreck for the Lakers since that big 3 he hit in Game 7 of the Finals.

I don't recall the details, but I thought letting go Farmar go was a big mistake. A young, quick PG who was part of two championship teams let go in favor of signing Steve Blake for the same amount of money. Even in '10, the Lakers had trouble with quick PGs, so they respond by signing an older and slower one as a backup to the slowest one in the league? And it showed when Chris Paul went off in round 1 that year and when Jason Terry torched the Lakers.

Never developing Devin Ebanks and instead signing John McRoberts and Troy Murphy, burying him at the 3rd/4th string. Versatile 6'9" SFs don't come around too often and I think the Lakers should've given him a shot.

The Nash signing was a massive mistake. As Lakerfans were ejaculating here after the signing, I warned them to be prepared for Steve Blake playing 25 minutes a game and seeing Nash in a suit quite often. Sessions would've been a much better fit. Lakers are in desperate need of penetration, and he can get into the lane at will. Also great at drawing fouls.

The time is now for the Lakers FO to be patient and develop something for the future instead of trying "roll the dice" on high profile FAs. You'll never develop team chemistry with that kind of revolving door policy.

midnightpulp
04-27-2013, 05:57 AM
I talked to a NBA scout for the Orlando Magic a while back, the Lakers need to jettison Howard ASAP. The dude is a team cancer and can't be controlled. He's already spiraled way too far down the rabbit hole.

Problem is, who else is out there for the Lakers to build around?

I agree about Howard, but if the Lakers jettison him, they'll be a lottery/fringe playoff team for years to come, and the 10's Lakers will be the Randy Pfund era revisited, meaning less ticket sales, no marquee player jerseys to sell, and a very pissed off Time Warner. I guess you can say, "they're the Lakers. They'll find a way," but with a 3 billion dollar TV deal, Laker brass can't afford to be patient and hope the next big star signs with them.

For better, for worse, Howard is their meal ticket on that end. And from a business perspective, the Lakers can't afford to let him go.

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 06:00 AM
Yeah, it's totally unrealistic to think you can win a championship every year, and that mentality has led the Lakers into some rash signings and waiving of players over the past few years. I don't care what Artest did in '10, Ariza had just as an impressive of an outing the year prior, is 6 years younger, and matches up better in this new era of quick, long, athletic small forwards. If I remember, the Lakers didn't want to give him 33 million, which is what they wound up paying Artest anyway. His '09 campaign should've earned him a future with the Lakers, but a bigger "name" was available, and in time honored Lakers fashion, they preferred the name player. I always felt Ariza was just a perfect fit, from a roster and chemistry standpoint. Artest has been a trainwreck for the Lakers since that big 3 he hit in Game 7 of the Finals.

I don't recall the details, but I thought letting go Farmar go was a big mistake. A young, quick PG who was part of two championship teams let go in favor of signing Steve Blake for the same amount of money. Even in '10, the Lakers had trouble with quick PGs, so they respond by signing an older and slower one as a backup to the slowest one in the league? And it showed when Chris Paul went off in round 1 that year and when Jason Terry torched the Lakers.

Never developing Devin Ebanks and instead signing John McRoberts and Troy Murphy, burying him at the 3rd/4th string. Versatile 6'9" SFs don't come around too often and I think the Lakers should've given him a shot.

The Nash signing was a massive mistake. As Lakerfans were ejaculating here after the signing, I warned them to be prepared for Steve Blake playing 25 minutes a game and seeing Nash in a suit quite often. Sessions would've been a much better fit. Lakers are in desperate need of penetration, and he can get into the lane at will. Also great at drawing fouls.

The time is now for the Lakers FO to be patient and develop something for the future instead of trying "roll the dice" on high profile FAs. You'll never develop team chemistry with that kind of revolving door policy.

I agree with everything you said except about Ariza. I loved Trevor's game, was SUPER FUCKING pissed when he left. But it was all his agent aka Andrew Bynum's and Ariza's scumbag agent David Lee who fucked it all up for everyone. I remember everything perfectly that offseason, Odom, Shannon Brown, AND Ariza were free agents.

The Lakers goal was to resign all 3, and Ariza wanted to rejoin for less. David Lee wouldn't have it, he demanded $35 million when the Lakers offered $27. IF the Lakers had resigned Trevor, they didn't have the space to resign Odom, so the question in all of LA at the time was Odom or Ariza? We had plenty of threads on LG and Laker nation and many were furious at the fact Odom was willing to take a HUGE paycut while Ariza wanted the whole pie to himself.

So Mitch did what he does best, he and Jerry Buss got Artest on the team and then cut ties with David Lee, and this is what I believe ultimately led them to getting rid of Bynum as well. I can guarantee you, David Lee will not be welcomed back in LA or with any elite team again in the NBA. (Are the Lakers still elite? Whatever)

midnightpulp
04-27-2013, 06:05 AM
I agree with everything you said except about Ariza. I loved Trevor's game, was SUPER FUCKING pissed when he left. But it was all his agent aka Andrew Bynum's and Ariza's scumbag agent David Lee who fucked it all up for everyone. I remember everything perfectly that offseason, Odom, Shannon Brown, AND Ariza were free agents.

The Lakers goal was to resign all 3, and Ariza wanted to rejoin for less. David Lee wouldn't have it, he demanded $35 million when the Lakers offered $27. IF the Lakers had resigned Trevor, they didn't have the space to resign Odom, so the question in all of LA at the time was Odom or Ariza? We had plenty of threads on LG and Laker nation and many were furious at the fact Odom was willing to take a HUGE paycut while Ariza wanted the whole pie to himself.

So Mitch did what he does best, he and Jerry Buss got Artest on the team and then cut ties with David Lee, and this is what I believe ultimately led them to getting rid of Bynum as well. I can guarantee you, David Lee will not be welcomed back in LA or with any elite team again in the NBA. (Are the Lakers still elite? Whatever)

That makes sense. You keep Odom, all day.

Forgot the details with the Ariza drama. But it looks like Lee tried to milk all he could from when Ariza's value would be at its highest ever and the Lakers FO didn't take too kindly to being extorted like that, promptly telling him to fuck off.

Can't blame them.

LkrFan
04-27-2013, 06:15 AM
Ya'll niggas is trippin (just cuz the reporter asked did you guys lose the game or did Utah win it?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo7d9k83Y88
I still can't believe he said that shit! :rollin :lmao :rollin

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 06:34 AM
I still can't believe he said that shit! :rollin :lmao :rollin

If the reporter asked something rude Id understand. It's THE most common question asked amongst reporters, it's a way of asking if you felt you gave the game away. I just dont understand why he is so emotional and butt hurt all the time.

100%duncan
04-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Get rid of Nash, MWP, D antoni. Keep Blake as a back up pg. Trade Pau for a starting PG, a young one might I say. Like Mid said, build around that clown Howard because you got no choice. And be young for once tbh. I dont think keeping Kobe will be a good idea, the dude will never learn, he'll just destroy/slow down your rebuilding process.

ezau
04-27-2013, 08:39 AM

It pain's me to say that because as a So Cal kid growing up I am a huge fan of his and he will always be my era's Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan. But the guy just refuses to be part of a TEAM game. In his prime, his athleticism and ridiculous offensive game was enough to not need to play as a team player to win championships, he was something unseen. Now, he's just a tall Allen Iverson. It's gonna suck ass when he's gone, but I look forward to the future, I just hope Jim Buss gets overruled some how.

Business-wise, it's going to be a terrible decision to let Kobe go because he's a major draw in Los Angeles. Buss, being the businessman that he is, isn't stupid enough to make that happen.

Monster1776
04-27-2013, 01:31 PM
If the reporter asked something rude Id understand. It's THE most common question asked amongst reporters, it's a way of asking if you felt you gave the game away. I just dont understand why he is so emotional and butt hurt all the time.

His personality on the court isn't fake or for show, he's a very competitive emotional dude. He was probably pissed and took the question the wrong way while still being full of adrenaline and dismissed the reporter. Some of the inane questions they get asked daily gets really annoying. I think Kobe had a couple of incidents like these but without using the word "brah"

phxspurfan
04-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Perfect time to amnesty Kobe. He's about to get another coach fired, he's hurt, he's old and may never be the same. He also would free up enough cap space to buy about 20 free agents

Bill_Brasky
04-27-2013, 02:21 PM
God I hope y'all get your shit together. I've never seen a historic franchise like the Lakers sink so low. I fucking hate Kobe and the Lakers, but I hate seeing basketball and the league depreciating in value even more.
The Dallas Cowboys say hi.

Clipper Nation
04-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Fuck that, the league can survive with the Lakers being a joke....

Brunodf
04-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Lakers should trade Nash/Artest tbh

whitemamba
04-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Lakers should trade Nash/Artest tbh

thats a little premature to say now, we need to see what a full training camp and shit can do, i doubt there will be much roster change by next year, if anything its going to be a coaching change if the team is fucking up.

DMC
04-27-2013, 03:38 PM
The league needs to be turned upside down. You can only watch the same movie so many times before you just don't watch it again. The NBA has always been big market vs big market, and yet they try to expand to capture small market dollars. They've bitten off more than they can chew and the talent in the league is so diluted right now that it's barely watchable on most nights. The product needs to be higher quality on average. Shit can the D-league, you either make it to the NBA or you don't. Developmental leagues for the NBA are full of shitty players and with expansions, those players end up in the NBA. People like James fucking White end up being in the dunk contest and stinking it up.

It's a saturation of mediocre basketball, and it's lowered the expectations of NBA fans who cannot wait for the NFL season to begin. Instead of the classic matchups of now HOFers, you get a Lebron James/Wade vs someone like Danny fucking Granger and Paul George. There's the barely alive Celtics who threw together some old fuckers and won a ring, and that led to the Heat, Knicks, Lakers and Clippers stacking.

When you know at the beginning of the season who the final 4 will be, it's a fruitless endeavor to watch the games if your team isn't part of those 4.

So I'd like to see the Lakers suck dick for 300 years and eventually break off into the Pacific along with that shithole state they occupy so we can once again make decent automobiles without destroying them with emissions fuck overs.

whitemamba
04-27-2013, 03:43 PM
The league needs to be turned upside down. You can only watch the same movie so many times before you just don't watch it again. The NBA has always been big market vs big market, and yet they try to expand to capture small market dollars. They've bitten off more than they can chew and the talent in the league is so diluted right now that it's barely watchable on most nights. The product needs to be higher quality on average. Shit can the D-league, you either make it to the NBA or you don't. Developmental leagues for the NBA are full of shitty players and with expansions, those players end up in the NBA. People like James fucking White end up being in the dunk contest and stinking it up.

It's a saturation of mediocre basketball, and it's lowered the expectations of NBA fans who cannot wait for the NFL season to begin. Instead of the classic matchups of now HOFers, you get a Lebron James/Wade vs someone like Danny fucking Granger and Paul George. There's the barely alive Celtics who threw together some old fuckers and won a ring, and that led to the Heat, Knicks, Lakers and Clippers stacking.

When you know at the beginning of the season who the final 4 will be, it's a fruitless endeavor to watch the games if your team isn't part of those 4.

So I'd like to see the Lakers suck dick for 300 years and eventually break off into the Pacific along with that shithole state they occupy so we can once again make decent automobiles without destroying them with emissions fuck overs.
almost passed out reading that

Venti Quattro
04-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Ultimately, I do not care whether Dwight Howard walks in the off-season or not. He is a waste of time, money and energy. For an 8-year veteran, he still has the same game as compared to when he entered in the NBA. What a pity. Surely they won't let Kobe walk (literally and figuratively), because from a business standpoint, he generates more business than his $30 million per year contract. Amnestying him will mean a lot of business lost for the organization, in jersey sales and match day tickets, and 95% of the fan base will be very angry and/or will be contemplating suicide.

Since Kobe is gonna be out for at least half of the season next year, they should let Dwight Howard walk and show the door to Ron Artest. He was funny and cool during his first two years in Los Angeles, but the guy has been non-effective already. I do not see the purpose of making him stay for a contract year. I like to see Pau take over while Kobe's out. I really like the guy, despite things that he can't be on the court, and I want him to retire as a Laker. Trading Nash seems to be a good idea but there aren't a lot of point guards in the NBA that Kobe will respect and listen to, so I say just keep him too.

spurraider21
04-30-2013, 04:12 AM
Bump. Not to rub salt in the wounds, but because I'm legitimately curious as to what Laker fan opinions are on their offseason to-do list.

a) Will they keep D'Antoni?
Mitch said he'll be back, but he also called Mike Brown's job safe. D'Antoni was in major damage-control mode in the post-game and exit interview, nonstop citing the rebound from 17-25, or how they finished 28-12 or whatever it was. Will they fire yet another coach. My guess is they'd only can him if Phil was on his way, and that doesn't seem likely with how he wants to be a front office guy or a coach-GM or somethin. Do you guys give him the benefit of the doubt based on how they closed the season and were banged up, or do you get rid of him and find another coach. Do you think Lakers brass wants to pay for a 3rd coach

b) Will Dwight Howard return?
This is two fold. Do you think Dwight will resign with the Lakers? I think its pretty clear the Lakers have almost no choice but to throw the max at him, regardless of his attitude and demeanor. His struggles this season were obvious, but had some reasonable explanations to it. He was noticeably smaller than he was on Orlando, largely because he couldn't lift weights coming off back surgery, and I'm sure tearing his labrum didn't help him much either. He'll have the offer. Does he want back? I don't think he liked the LA press, and he even called this year a nightmare. Would he sign into another nightmare since Kobe's health is a huge question mark? Also, do you guys want him back? Do you want to make him the cornerstone guy by throwing 5 years 117 million at him?

c) Will the amnesty be used?
i) MWP is going to exercise his player option. He'll be making over 7 mil. That is a lock. He probably wouldn't get 7 mil on a 3 year deal anywhere else, let alone for 1 season. Will the Lakers amnesty him? If so, who starts at the 3 next year, Clark? Jamison? Meeks? or do they sign another minimum salary scrub and just plug him into the starting 5?
ii) Pau is another option. I'm sure ideally they want to trade him, but its tough to deal a 19 million dollar contract. The Gasol-Love rumors are there because the Wolves know Love is going to bolt, and Pau would likely resign with them at seasons end to play with Rubio. On your end, a Dwight-Love duo would gobble every fucking rebound in existence, assuming Dwight is back. Your defense probably gets worse though. Love is no better than Pau is and with the reduced length, he's less of a paint presence/deterrent. He is also a better offensive fit alongside a Dwight since he is a natural outside shooter that prefers it out there, whereas Pau CAN hit outside shots but that's not his game. Still, that trade does seem like a longshot to go down anyway, as I don't think in the end Minnesota would want an aging big man with a myraid of injuries this season. So if Pau can't be traded, would they actually amnesty him? Or would they pay him 19 million + luxury tax. They probably won't be competing for a title anyway next year, so why not clear cap? Bottom line though, amnestying Pau is unlikely in my eyes. It would allow another western conference team to get his services and end up biting the Lakers in the ass.
iii) Kobe? I think its an obvious no. We all know the cases for/against. Jim Buss doesn't have the balls to make this move, although it makes sense, especially if their main goal is to convince Dwight to stay. Then again, we saw how the Lakers backcourt looked during the postseason.

Aside from that, not a lot of action to be expected from the Lakers. The only free agent signings you can make is vets minimum and the mini-mid-level exception (3 years 9 mil). Earl Clark will get some interest outside, but he stupidly said he'd play for less money to play for the Lakers, although he also wants a bigger role. Steve Nash said he has zero intention to retire, so his 10 million will be paid, and he's not an amnesty option.

But whatever happens, your perimeter defense will still suck, and there's no way to work around your shitty cap position to make huge roster improvements unless an unlikely Pau deal happens.

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 09:36 AM

I agree just not 100% sold on Howard ...

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Bump. Not to rub salt in the wounds, but because I'm legitimately curious as to what Laker fan opinions are on their offseason to-do list.

a) Will they keep D'Antoni?
Mitch said he'll be back, but he also called Mike Brown's job safe. D'Antoni was in major damage-control mode in the post-game and exit interview, nonstop citing the rebound from 17-25, or how they finished 28-12 or whatever it was. Will they fire yet another coach. My guess is they'd only can him if Phil was on his way, and that doesn't seem likely with how he wants to be a front office guy or a coach-GM or somethin. Do you guys give him the benefit of the doubt based on how they closed the season and were banged up, or do you get rid of him and find another coach. Do you think Lakers brass wants to pay for a 3rd coach

b) Will Dwight Howard return?
This is two fold. Do you think Dwight will resign with the Lakers? I think its pretty clear the Lakers have almost no choice but to throw the max at him, regardless of his attitude and demeanor. His struggles this season were obvious, but had some reasonable explanations to it. He was noticeably smaller than he was on Orlando, largely because he couldn't lift weights coming off back surgery, and I'm sure tearing his labrum didn't help him much either. He'll have the offer. Does he want back? I don't think he liked the LA press, and he even called this year a nightmare. Would he sign into another nightmare since Kobe's health is a huge question mark? Also, do you guys want him back? Do you want to make him the cornerstone guy by throwing 5 years 117 million at him?

c) Will the amnesty be used?
i) MWP is going to exercise his player option. He'll be making over 7 mil. That is a lock. He probably wouldn't get 7 mil on a 3 year deal anywhere else, let alone for 1 season. Will the Lakers amnesty him? If so, who starts at the 3 next year, Clark? Jamison? Meeks? or do they sign another minimum salary scrub and just plug him into the starting 5?
ii) Pau is another option. I'm sure ideally they want to trade him, but its tough to deal a 19 million dollar contract. The Gasol-Love rumors are there because the Wolves know Love is going to bolt, and Pau would likely resign with them at seasons end to play with Rubio. On your end, a Dwight-Love duo would gobble every fucking rebound in existence, assuming Dwight is back. Your defense probably gets worse though. Love is no better than Pau is and with the reduced length, he's less of a paint presence/deterrent. He is also a better offensive fit alongside a Dwight since he is a natural outside shooter that prefers it out there, whereas Pau CAN hit outside shots but that's not his game. Still, that trade does seem like a longshot to go down anyway, as I don't think in the end Minnesota would want an aging big man with a myraid of injuries this season. So if Pau can't be traded, would they actually amnesty him? Or would they pay him 19 million + luxury tax. They probably won't be competing for a title anyway next year, so why not clear cap? Bottom line though, amnestying Pau is unlikely in my eyes. It would allow another western conference team to get his services and end up biting the Lakers in the ass.
iii) Kobe? I think its an obvious no. We all know the cases for/against. Jim Buss doesn't have the balls to make this move, although it makes sense, especially if their main goal is to convince Dwight to stay. Then again, we saw how the Lakers backcourt looked during the postseason.

Aside from that, not a lot of action to be expected from the Lakers. The only free agent signings you can make is vets minimum and the mini-mid-level exception (3 years 9 mil). Earl Clark will get some interest outside, but he stupidly said he'd play for less money to play for the Lakers, although he also wants a bigger role. Steve Nash said he has zero intention to retire, so his 10 million will be paid, and he's not an amnesty option.

But whatever happens, your perimeter defense will still suck, and there's no way to work around your shitty cap position to make huge roster improvements unless an unlikely Pau deal happens.

No matter what we do we won't win next year. Here is my plan.

1. Sign Dwight for as little as you can under the max. IF he wants max to stay I say trade him for draft picks ... gain Lebron took a bit less to build a contender you sell him on that. If not let him go to a Texas team in a sign and trade for picks or a 3-way with picks plus a prospect.

2. Try and get Phil if not, keep Mike D one more year so the no training camp/injury excuse is taken away and we can see how he coaches

3. Trade Pau if howard stays. Keep him if he does not unless you can get Love. He looked better down the stretch but I think if Dwight stays still not a great fit. Plus he deserves to be back on the block tough to get those touches with Dwight.

4. Amnesty MWP he gave us all he had Im grateful for saving us in the Finals in 2010 but he is not worth $14 million ... ($7 mill plus lux tax) which may be even more with new CBA but Im not sure.

5. Urge Kobe not to rush back him at 75-80% does more harm than good.

6. Re-sign Earl Clark. USe him as 3/4 off the bench he is not a starter on a contender (but we are not that)

7. Get a young athletic 3 like Corey Brewer to come over and replace MWP

8. Find a young cheap hybrig guard who can provide minutes at both G spots especially defensively.

Banzai
04-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Jus read that Jamison skipped his exit interview and wouldn't answer his phone. He's not coming back.

Venti Quattro
04-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Jus read that Jamison skipped his exit interview and wouldn't answer his phone. He's not coming back.

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 10:19 AM
I think the most logical way to semi rebuild is trade Gasol, re-sign Dwight and Clark, amneaty MWP and get another guard, wing player that can back up Kobe. They really don't have a lot of option but allowing Dwight to walk would be another step backward. Look at the 2014 and 2015 FA class. No one is a better realistic option.

If they can snag 2 guys like Tony Wroten from Memphis, Nick Young, or Kyle Korver and a guy like Korver to address their perimeter shooting and perimter speed they will be tons better and those are cheap moves. Hill is also projected to have another solid season, do their frontcourt is already decent.

Tbh, the Lakers are not that old once they shed players like Gasol (33) Artest (34) and Jamison (37).

Mugen
04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Have fun in Miami next year, Antawn.

Mel_13
04-30-2013, 10:54 AM
No matter what we do we won't win next year. Here is my plan.

1. Sign Dwight for as little as you can under the max. IF he wants max to stay I say trade him for draft picks ... gain Lebron took a bit less to build a contender you sell him on that. If not let him go to a Texas team in a sign and trade for picks or a 3-way with picks plus a prospect.

2. Try and get Phil if not, keep Mike D one more year so the no training camp/injury excuse is taken away and we can see how he coaches

3. Trade Pau if howard stays. Keep him if he does not unless you can get Love. He looked better down the stretch but I think if Dwight stays still not a great fit. Plus he deserves to be back on the block tough to get those touches with Dwight.

4. Amnesty MWP he gave us all he had Im grateful for saving us in the Finals in 2010 but he is not worth $14 million ... ($7 mill plus lux tax) which may be even more with new CBA but Im not sure.

5. Urge Kobe not to rush back him at 75-80% does more harm than good.

6. Re-sign Earl Clark. USe him as 3/4 off the bench he is not a starter on a contender (but we are not that)

7. Get a young athletic 3 like Corey Brewer to come over and replace MWP

8. Find a young cheap hybrig guard who can provide minutes at both G spots especially defensively.

1. If you assume that Dallas and Houston have enough cap space to sign him outright, there's no incentive for Dwight or Dallas/Houston to participate in such a sign and trade.

4. Depending on the total payroll, using the amnesty on MWP could save 20-30 million in luxury tax. See the table here: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21

5. Absolutely. See Jeter, Derek.

7. The Lakers will have the mini-MLE (3yrs/9m) and the vet minimum to offer FAs.

8. Can Morris be developed to be that guy?

Mugen
04-30-2013, 11:11 AM
If I were a Lakerfan, I'd be happy if they did the following:

1. Resign Dwight
2. Amnesty Artest
3. Trade Pau for some athletic wings/picks
4. Don't rush Kirby back

I'm iffy on Pringles. My guess is Dwight doesn't come back unless Pringles is gone and that's a no-brainer decision if you're Kupchak.

A team with a healthy Dwight + the haul you get from Pau is good enough to make the playoffs in the West. Kirby comes back sometime between Christmas and All Star weekend and you've got a team that could conceivably get to the WCFs based on circumstance.

Even if they won't ring next year, you'll have enough free taco nights and Kirby tweets to satisfy your fanbase. You have a boatload of cap room in a big name FA summer of 2014 with a solid No. 2 man in Dwight & a still serviceable Bryant going forward.

All Jimmy & Kupchak have to do is not to overreact based on their retarded fanbase and realize they're still in a pretty enviable position with a chance to be legit title contenders starting 2014. They are in a MUCH better position than say the Celtics.

snickles
04-30-2013, 11:30 AM
i've also been curious about the future of the laker franchise.

if the numbers ive found online are correct...if they do nothing, let dwight walk, cut all the salary they can (assuming MWP doesn't opt out) they will but just above the tax line. i've read "Trade nash" and "trade pau", but who would / could take them? would any team take a chance on nash's back? and pau is making almost $20M. it would be awesome for the lakers if they could trade him for several pieces, but who would give up quality talent for a guy eating up 1/3 of the cap? i can't think of any teams out there like the celtics of a few years ago, ready parlay young talent for a run at a title (especially with only 1 year left on Pau's contract).

basketball reasons say you should stand pat, see what pau and nash can do with the squad (there IS some talent on that bench), ride it out, and maybe get a high pick. with only nash under contract for 14-15, they could be MAJOR players in the FA market, or facilitate a trade to maybe get them a star disgruntled with his current team.

but business reasons say you don't do that. rebuilding is generally not an option for the league's marquee team. but even if you amnesty someone, you'll still only be playing with the MLE (not sure if they have the other exception to play with this year or not). so do you field the best team possible, tax be damned? or do you cut costs for a year?

the immediate future looks pretty bleak either way, but i suspect they'll be back in a year or 2.

Raven
04-30-2013, 11:58 AM
the lakers situation in this offseason is really interesting, they basically can't do shit. They have four absolutely untradable contracts in Bean, Pau and Nash, and one almost as ugly in MWP. The four toghether will cost 66.7M. If we assume they resign Coward for 10M (not happening), that means they used their whole cap for just the starting team that is a bottom feeder anyway.
Here's what i would do: amnesty Pau, trade MWP for Gerald Wallace, Buyout Chris Duhon, trade Steve Blake for Kyle O'Quinn and a second rounder, then give up and shoot myself.

pad300
04-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Have fun in Miami next year, Antawn.

Currently 37 and having wrist surgery. I think retirement beckons, not the Heat... Although Miami might not be a bad place to retire too...

spurraider21
04-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Killakobe81 do you think Dwight would actually accept less money to come back to the Lakers? It seems that's their main selling point, that they can offer him more years

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Killakobe81 do you think Dwight would actually accept less money to come back to the Lakers? It seems that's their main selling point, that they can offer him more years

I dont think so, but again if that is the only selling point for him ... fuck him tbh.
Im not saying take less years or a huge 10 million dollar discount but if he took a bit less to ensure another young star joined him he can make that up easily. Harlem is a Lebron dick rider but the part he nailed (not the he did it for the kids) from day one is that Lebron took less when he did not have to . Sure he "joined" Wade's team but he has taken it over and is reaping the rewards. If Dwight is too selfish (and again it's not my $ it's his) to place winning first then let him walk.

We wont win teh title with him as our #1 anyways. Like Pau he is meant to be a #2 ...