PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. George Jones

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Poor guy doesn't even get a memorial thread? He ain't just playing possum. "No Show" is riding his mower to the big liquor store in the sky.

UquXUYfHYok

ohmwrecker
04-27-2013, 09:42 AM
He died of crankiness.

Capt Bringdown
04-27-2013, 11:59 AM
The country Frank Sinatra? George Jones was certainly at that level, one the 20th century American music giants, he ranks right up there.
My favorite Jones song, one of his early ones:

SEASONS OF MY HEART

"The seasons come the seasons go
We get a little sunshine rain and snow
That's the way that it was planned to be
There's no seasons in my heart
Whilst you play the leading part
For the flowers will bloom eternally

ref: Your leaving will bring Autumn sorrow
And tears like leaves from trees will fall
But spring will bring some glad tomorrow
And darling we could be happy after all

As it is in Nature's plan no season gets the upper hand
Oh how I try to keep that fact in mind
The trees are bare and the cold wind blows
But by experience we know
Tho winter comes, the spring is close behind"

mrsmaalox
04-27-2013, 12:07 PM
My mom was a big George Jones/Tammy Wynette fan, but the only song I ever recognize is Finally Friday. I just read his Wiki, and learned about the references in the OP of "No Show" and the lawnmower :lol Thanks for the thread SFIE! RIP Possum.

IRQ8jJsWEvQ

lefty
04-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Who the fuck is that ?

TheRealCB
04-27-2013, 01:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExw77xJsBQ

Great fucking singer :cry

DMC
04-27-2013, 02:43 PM
He's been dying for 40 years.

Twisted_Dawg
04-27-2013, 04:08 PM
The Rolling Stones played in San Antonio in 1964 at something called the Teen Fair which featured George Jones and some trained monkeys. This is when Keith Richards met George Jones and began a lifetime of admiration of Jones. Richards learned Memphis tuning from one of Jone's guitarist. From a Richards interview in Life Magazine in 2010:

Richards, in Life: (2010):
On to Texas and more freak show appearances, in one case with a pool of performing monkeys between us and the audience at the San Antonio Texas State Fair. That was where I first met Bobby Keys, the great saxophone player, my closest pal. … The other guy on that gig was George Jones. They trailed in with tumbleweed following them, as if tumbleweed was their pet. Dust all over the place, a bunch of cowboys. But when George got up, we went whoa, there’s a master up there.

In 1994 Richards played with George Jones on a album that featured Jones' hits singing with other artists. Keith sang and played guitar on "Say It's Not You." In a later interview Keith had this to say about Jones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QnxG4BoUi8

Avante
04-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and George Jones the Mount Rushmore of country musc (could debate Jimmie Rodgers, The Carter Family).

Nobody had a voice more suited for country music than George Jones. I must confess I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did considering his life style. Yep, an American music icon, one of the giants.

WE5pM1HXxlI

Capt Bringdown
04-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Nobody mentioned ole George was a Texan, born and raised.

Avante
04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Nobody mentioned ole George was a Texan, born and raised.

Imagine a box set dedicated to just Texas bluesmen, country and rockers. Something I have put together.