PDA

View Full Version : Kerry is still talking about Vietnam

Spurminator
09-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Give it a fucking rest already. (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&u=/nm/20040903/ts_nm/campaign_kerry_dc_3&printer=1)

-----

Kerry Criticizes Cheney for Avoiding Vietnam War

NANTUCKET, Mass. (Reuters) - Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites) hit back at Dick Cheney (news - web sites) on Thursday by raising the Republican's failure to serve in the Vietnam War and asking voters to weigh his two tours of duty against the vice president's five deferments.

Kerry, a decorated Vietnam War veteran, bristled at Cheney's attack on his patriotism during the Republican National Convention in New York and his ability to serve as U.S. commander-in-chief.

"Here's my answer," the Massachusetts senator said in excerpts of remarks he will make at a midnight rally in Springfield, Ohio, shortly after President Bush (news - web sites) delivers his acceptance speech at the Republican convention.

"I'm not going to have my commitment to defend this country questioned by those who refused to serve when they could have and by those who have misled the nation into Iraq (news - web sites)," he said.

Neither Bush, who served in the Texas Air national Guard, nor Cheney went to Vietnam. The vice president obtained five deferments and has since said he had "other priorities" at the time.

Kerry volunteered for two tours of duty and won three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star while serving on a gunboat in the Mekong Delta.

Kerry's political campaign has heavily emphasized his Vietnam record, but his critics say he served only four months in the country. They say he hardly discusses his record during 20 years in the U.S. Senate.

Kerry's decorations -- and his subsequent activism against the Vietnam war -- have been questioned in television ads by a group calling itself Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. The Bush campaign has denied any connection with the organization.

Cheney launched a withering attack on Kerry on Wednesday night at the convention, saying he had a "habit of indecision" that would jeopardize national security, that he failed to grasp the dangers of terrorism, refused to support U.S. troops on the battlefield in Iraq and voted outside the mainstream during his 20 years in the Senate.

"John Kerry says he sees two Americas," Cheney said, playing off the Democrat's contention that there is one America for the rich and another for everybody else. "It makes the whole thing mutual: America sees two John Kerrys."

Advisers have been urging Kerry, who has lost ground against Bush in recent polls, to show a more combative side.

"We all saw the anger and distortion of the Republican Convention," Kerry said. "The vice president even called me unfit for office last night. I guess I'll leave it up to the voters whether five deferments makes someone more qualified to defend this nation than two tours of duty."

Kerry and his vice presidential running mate John Edwards (news - web sites) will kick off the final two months before the Nov. 2 election in the critical battleground state of Ohio where recent polls give Bush a narrow lead. No Republican has ever won the White House without a victory in Ohio.

Yonivore
09-03-2004, 02:07 AM
"Kerry, a decorated Vietnam War veteran, bristled at Cheney's attack on his patriotism during the Republican National Convention in New York and his ability to serve as U.S. commander-in-chief."
I couldn't find anywhere in the article where they report the specifics of this "attack" on Kerry's patriotism. In fact, I specifically remember from Vice President Cheney's speech, him praising Kerry's service in Vietnam. It was what Kerry's actions as a Senator that was criticized. I'm not sure how that can be construed as an attack on his patriotism.

SpursWoman
09-03-2004, 02:11 AM
All I ever remember him being criticized on was his Senate record as well. Everyone that even referred to his service praised him for it and gave him their respect.

Just out of curiosity, how in the hell could a party put Kerry on the ballot with that horrendous voting record and not think he'd get called out on it? That somehow it's irrelevant?

Yonivore
09-03-2004, 02:13 AM
Because, he's a goddamned fucking war hero that served in Vietnam for 4 months. Jeeze, SW, don't quibble.

DeSPURado
09-03-2004, 03:01 AM
How many months Yonivore?

afe7FATMAN
09-03-2004, 05:49 AM
His 1st tour don't count he was in a big BOAT sometimes over 100 miles of the coast of NAM.

Tommy Duncan
09-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Not surprising considering that Kerry and the DNC were claiming that Bush was AWOL from the National Guard earlier this year.

Liberal Democrats like to dish it out, but they certainly can't take it.

Yonivore
09-03-2004, 11:02 AM
"How many months Yonivore?"
4 months in country, DeSPURate. The rest of his tour was on a cruise ship offshore somewhere, downing umbrella drinks.

Samurai Jane
09-03-2004, 11:05 AM
I can't believe that after the convention focused on his Senate record, Kerry is still trotting out Vietnam. I was expecting a much better response than that from him, but I guess that's all he's got.

Yonivore
09-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Yep, pretty much. And, even that isn't all that stellar given the revelations about his lying ways.

SpursWoman
09-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Everyone that even referred to his service praised him for it and gave him their respect.

But even that was a pretty low-blow if you think about it, considering what Kerry did when he got home from Vietnam.

Yonivore
09-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Well good morning gorgeous! :makeout

SpursWoman
09-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Good morning. :kiss

Hook Dem
09-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Kerry has been so far left of the mainstream for so long, that he just doesn't get it! He is killing himself! I say...more power to him!:lol

Samurai Jane
09-03-2004, 01:48 PM
That's what has blown my mind during his whole campaign, SW. For someone who is so proud of his service now, he sure didn't demonstrate that when he got back, did he?