PDA

View Full Version : Baynes vs. Perkins

xellos88330
04-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Should the Spurs and OKC meet in the playoffs this season, I wouldn't mind seeing those two matched up against each other. It would be interesting to see how Perkins will handle a former rugby player who doesn't mind a physical brand of basketball. It would definitely be nice for the Spurs to have an "enforcer" type in the paint. If not this season, then I hope next season we see a meaner and angrier Baynes.

Do any of you feel that the Spurs need a player such as this?

RD2191
04-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Yes but Pop would never play him unless the entire frontcourt goes down.

HarlemHeat37
04-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Perkins is the least of our concerns against OKC, tbh..

Thomas82
04-28-2013, 12:39 AM
We should put him in against the Lakers and give him a try.

Brunodf
04-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Baynes would be called for 6 tic tac fouls and foul out in 10 minutes

Whisky Dog
04-28-2013, 01:35 AM
Baynes has no respect from NBA officials yet. He'd get fouls quickly if he tries to muscle anyone. Will be interesting to see if he gets any regular run in game 4

capek
04-28-2013, 04:07 AM
Totally never crossed my mind.

Seriously though, I'll admit I trusted Pop through the Tiago Debacle, but looking back it helped that Manu and Timmy were closer to their prime. You gotta say it was the wrong decision with hind sight of course. But with these two firmly in their twilight years, I've wished Pop would just through Baynes out there since a couple weeks after he got his VISA. Baynes is averaging what, like 1:20 this series, maybe that increases to the point we'll actually get to see him battle outside of nothing minutes? I'd like to think that. But honestly, if Diaw weren't hurt, would Baynes even have been on the active roser? Possibly Patty, but who knows. So I think my optimism on this front has totally evaporated. Though like every one else I hope to be pleasantly surprised. :wakeup

The Reckoning
04-28-2013, 04:52 AM
just use baynes as the spurs' custodian

NickiRasgo
04-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Baynes vs. Collison.

jhuan16
04-28-2013, 05:21 AM
He'll foul out like in 5 minutes of playing time.

aal04
04-28-2013, 09:52 AM
id be more interested seeing him bully Bosh and his twig back.

BackHome
04-28-2013, 01:34 PM
I would like to see him on Howard and Gasol until he gets three fouls and then pull him in case you need him in the fourth. Gasol is tired and him having a big man pushing him and fighting him for rebounds will only help us in the fourth. As far as Howard I don't see him doing the cheap shots that he is giving to Bonner cause he knows he might get one in return.

xellos88330
04-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Nice to see that Baynes can prevent a power player like Howard from running through him. Now I am even more intrigued.

Manufan909
05-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Nice to see that Baynes can prevent a power player like Howard from running through him. Now I am even more intrigued.

Indeed. And Howard is the premier power player in the league, after possibly Pek and maybe one or two other guys. He's definitely the ultimate combination of strength, size, and athleticism today. It was absolutely fantastic to see Baynes neutralize him so completely. Made me pissed when Pop still went to Blair/Bonner. Baynes wasn't in foul trouble or anything, at least in the first half iirc, I wonder why he didn't make sure one of Baynes or Tim was on the court at all times, especially in the first half when the game was possibly in doubt. He could've easily swallowed up half of Blair's minutes. Bonner and Baynes both have range, I guess it makes too much sense for Pop. Or he was being ultra-conservative and wanted Baynes to be available to start the third, which I guess makes sense.

Spur Bank
05-01-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm new to this "basketball," can someone tell me how many basket-points you get for bullying people and pushing them around? You all seem to really like it so it must be worth a lot of points!

We should get Ndamukong Suh to play down low for us. Who cares if he has basketball skills, imagine how much he'd bully people around!!

TheGoldStandard
05-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Baynes would get called for fouling Durant while he sat on the bench.

Baynes
05-01-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm new to this "basketball," can someone tell me how many basket-points you get for bullying people and pushing them around? You all seem to really like it so it must be worth a lot of points!

We should get Ndamukong Suh to play down low for us. Who cares if he has basketball skills, imagine how much he'd bully people around!!

what? Basketball is a very physical game that includes pushing people around. Dafuq is wrong with your brain cells?

spurraider21
05-01-2013, 09:46 PM
what? Basketball is a very physical game that includes pushing people around. Dafuq is wrong with your brain cells?
sounds like a kobe fan tbh

Spur Bank
05-01-2013, 09:59 PM
It definitely is physical, and a stronger is a better player than a weak one, but I think people are vastly overrating the importance of strength. If I were a Thunder fan and had the choice of making Kevin Durant strong as an ox, or giving him an eeeeeever so slightly better jump shot, I'd choose the jump shot. Strength, while good, just doesn't do that much in the NBA.

xellos88330
05-01-2013, 10:00 PM

If you are serious about this, then you have absolutely no clue how to play basketball. It isn't just about points or bullying. It is about finding any advantage that you have and exploiting it. People hated defending Reggie Miller because he was always moving, coming off of screens from the likes of people like Smits. That is a hell of a screen to fight through. Being big and strong is paramount in basketball especially if the opponents offense is run through a big, strong and physical player like Dwight Howard. By your logic we should just have Mills set all the screens because being big and strong doesn't translate into points. Basketball is much more than just putting the ball in the basket. There are ways to help the team score/defend without even being near the ball. If you can't understand that... STFU AND GTFO.

Spur Bank
05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
If you are serious about this, then you have absolutely no clue how to play basketball. It isn't just about points or bullying. It is about finding any advantage that you have and exploiting it. People hated defending Reggie Miller because he was always moving, coming off of screens from the likes of people like Smits. That is a hell of a screen to fight through. Being big and strong is paramount in basketball especially if the opponents offense is run through a big, strong and physical player like Dwight Howard. By your logic we should just have Mills set all the screens because being big and strong doesn't translate into points. Basketball is much more than just putting the ball in the basket. There are ways to help the team score/defend without even being near the ball. If you can't understand that... STFU AND GTFO.
You set that straw man up and beat the ever living shit out of it. Well done!

spurraider21
05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
It definitely is physical, and a stronger is a better player than a weak one, but I think people are vastly overrating the importance of strength. If I were a Thunder fan and had the choice of making Kevin Durant strong as an ox, or giving him an eeeeeever so slightly better jump shot, I'd choose the jump shot. Strength, while good, just doesn't do that much in the NBA.

really? Durant's jumper is already elite, and he hit that historic 50-40-90 thing. adding to his jumpshot is like making shaq stronger. if you gave KD lebron-esque strength in combination with his already lethal jump shot, you'd have yourself a true animal

xellos88330
05-01-2013, 10:09 PM

Strength translates because it helps your team. You are talking more iso play. Last I checked basketball is a team sport. If the only way you can help your team is to shoot jump shots, then you aren't that great of a player. You have to be able to screen, box out, prevent/create separation on drives, fight through screens, rip a ball loose from a rebounder, etc...

xellos88330
05-01-2013, 10:11 PM
really? Durant's jumper is already elite, and he hit that historic 50-40-90 thing. adding to his jumpshot is like making shaq stronger. if you gave KD lebron-esque strength in combination with his already lethal jump shot, you'd have yourself a true animal

Instead of getting potential 2 point plays on calls, imagine getting potential 3 point plays because Durant could finish through contact better. That would be devastating.

Em-City
05-01-2013, 10:51 PM

dumb-ass... have you never watched shaq play?

spurraider21
05-02-2013, 12:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlieN3cvQyg