PDA

View Full Version : This team is healthy and peaking at the right time

Uriel
04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Earlier in the season, the Spurs were on top of the NBA standings, and many people here believed them to be even better than last year's team. Injuries however had derailed that, and left many Spurs fans resigned to another playoff collapse.

As of late, however, there have been signs that the team has regained the form that once made it a juggernaut:

1. Tony Parker is once again playing at an MVP level
2. Tim Duncan is finally healthy again after The Scare and continuing his renaissance season
3. Manu Ginobili is currently playing arguably the best basketball of his season
4. Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw will return for the 2nd round, ensuring the roster will be fully healthy for the first time in a long time
5. Gary Neal (who was heavily hampered by injuries and out of the rotation mid-season) has regained his late November / early December form and has emerged as a legitimate scoring option capable of creating his own shot
6. Matt Bonner is playing the best playoff basketball of his career
7. Cory Joseph, who many people in this board believed had the highest upside of all the options at backup PG, is playing with confidence and has entrenched hismself in the rotation
8. The motion offense which looked unsightly towards the end of the season is once again in rhythm
9. Even the defense, which is already significantly better than last year's and is ranked in the top-3 in the NBA, continues to improve with each game

Similarly, there are many other things to consider when assessing this team's championship aspirations:
1. Russel Westbrook is out for the playoffs, making the Spurs the clear-cut favorite in the West
2. Dwyane Wade continues to be derailed by injuries
3. The sweep means that team will have a week off to heal nagging bumps and bruises and continue to further refine itself on both ends of the floor

Now, I don't want to get ahead of myself and suggest that the Spurs will undoubtedly win the championship this year -- Miami remains the clear-cut favorite. But everything appears to be coming together at the right time; this is the best-case scenario. If this perfect storm continues, I don't think an NBA title is out of the question.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2013, 09:56 PM
1. Russel Westbrook is out for the playoffs, making the Spurs the clear-cut favorite in the West

I'm not going to go overboard like some and suggest that the lack of Westbrook makes the Thunder a better team, but there have been times, especially this year, that Westbrook gets into a shooting contest with Parker and actually hurts his team by taking too many low-percentage shots. OKC could actually benefit from the different look against the Spurs. Durant's so impossible to stop that you don't really want him taking 30 shots a game and drawing fouls at the rate he does. They have to get past LA or Memphis first though.

RD2191
04-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Bro. They swept a garbage laker team. They look good but lets not get too excited.

spurs10
04-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Timing is huge!

therealtruth
04-28-2013, 10:22 PM
The Spurs and the Heat are the only teams that sweep. It's looking like they're on a collision course. I believe the Spurs have everything they need to come out of the West. They definitely have the talent and they've done less with more like in '07. In '07 Finley was our starting SG and now we have McGrady at the end of our bench.

Arcadian
04-28-2013, 10:29 PM
The big question for now is, how do we shorten the rotation for future rounds? We have a roster of 15 people who are all capable of being in a playoff rotation.

PG: Parker, Joseph, De Colo
SG: Green, Ginobili, Neal, Mills
SF: Leonard, McGrady
PF: Bonner, Blair, Diaw
C: Duncan, Splitter, Baynes

Who isn't going to contribute? I would guess De Colo and Mills. Everyone else, however, could contribute...

I would say Blair, but that teardrop shot is looking pretty polished. :lol

racm
04-28-2013, 10:31 PM
The big question for now is, how do we shorten the rotation for future rounds? We have a roster of 15 people who are all capable of being in a playoff rotation.

PG: Parker, Joseph, De Colo
SG: Green, Ginobili, Neal, Mills
SF: Leonard, McGrady
PF: Bonner, Blair, Diaw
C: Duncan, Splitter, Baynes

Who isn't going to contribute? I would guess De Colo and Mills. Everyone else, however, could contribute...

I would say Blair, but that teardrop shot is looking pretty polished. :lol

We STAAAAAACKED, tbh

Beaverfuzz
04-28-2013, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't say the team is healthy...Splitter could be out two weeks instead of 7-10 days. That's a minimum of three games next round.

HarlemHeat37
04-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Spurs looked great in round 1 against a team that wouldn't have made the playoffs with the roster they were forced to utilize, tbh..

It's encouraging that Parker and Ginobili looked good, and Duncan played well against the most difficult competition he'll have in the playoffs..it was also a good warm-up, confidence and rhythm-builder..

The Spurs should be favorites in the West, and they drew the easy bracket, but there are still many question marks..I'd like to see how Joseph plays against NBA talent at the guard position, if Bonner can continue playing at the same level, etc..

Namundy
04-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Way to jinx us fucker

HI-FI
04-28-2013, 11:20 PM
still got some battles ahead of us. Health is paramount.

however, watching so many teams get hurt, I'm so grateful of Pop's minute management. I've never criticized him for it, because it gives everyone lots of experience and exposure to the bright lights, plus our guys get more time to heal up.

racm
04-28-2013, 11:40 PM
who's worse? playoff bucks or playoff lakers?

Bucks kept it closer than the Lakers.

MmP
04-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Bro. They swept a garbage laker team. They look good but lets not get too excited.

sprrs
04-29-2013, 12:50 AM

Yeah, but the Spurs of even just two weeks ago were struggling with garbage teams.

Sean Cagney
04-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Bro. They swept a garbage laker team. They look good but lets not get too excited........................
Yeah, but the Spurs of even just two weeks ago were struggling with garbage teams.

The Spurs and the Heat are the only teams that sweep. It's looking like they're on a collision course. I believe the Spurs have everything they need to come out of the West. They definitely have the talent and they've done less with more like in '07. In '07 Finley was our starting SG and now we have McGrady at the end of our bench.

I know about that! Finley hit a ton of threes though in those playoffs! HE WENT APESHIT on Denver! This year Danny Green is our starting SG and he can't hit sh*t. Good lord we have Mac on the end of our bench but my GOD we have Green starting!

ElNono
04-29-2013, 01:24 AM
I know about that! Finley hit a ton of threes though in those playoffs! HE WENT APESHIT on Denver! This year Danny Green is our starting SG and he can't hit sh*t. Good lord we have Mac on the end of our bench but my GOD we have Green starting!

I'm so glad the Spurs swept. I was thoroughly concerned about your health if the Spurs dropped a game :lol

Sean Cagney
04-29-2013, 01:26 AM
I'm so glad the Spurs swept. I was thoroughly concerned about your health if the Spurs dropped a game :lol

LOL YEP! I am fine and happy as hell! If they dropped a game I would be right when I said Spurs in 5 though ;) Even though man when we won the last one by 31 were up 20 tonight! IF WE happened to pull a usual Spurs lapse and lose this one I would be drunk off my ass tonight in a corner cursing hahaha.

Stabula
04-29-2013, 01:32 AM
The big question for now is, how do we shorten the rotation for future rounds? We have a roster of 15 people who are all capable of being in a playoff rotation. PG: Parker, Joseph, De Colo SG: Green, Ginobili, Neal, Mills SF: Leonard, McGrady PF: Bonner, Blair, Diaw C: Duncan, Splitter, Baynes Who isn't going to contribute? I would guess De Colo and Mills. Everyone else, however, could contribute... I would say Blair, but that teardrop shot is looking pretty polished. :lol I fucked the shit out of your mom

Budkin
04-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Yeah let's see how we do against a team that... well, a team.

Kidd K
04-29-2013, 01:39 AM
I hope that's the case bro, but honestly, the Lakers just really sucked. I'm not 100% sure we're "peaking" right now or if an 80% Spurs is just that much better than a 60% Lakers.

I'm not saying I'd rather have played the Rockets since we probably would've had to go to 5 games, but it may have been nice to have some actual competition. Whoever we get in the next round is going to be vastly superior to the pile of shit, weak excuse for a team we just swept.

Arcadian
04-29-2013, 01:57 AM
They still had Howard and Gasol. They alone could have made the matchup difficult. So I think we deserve some credit for the sweep.

Stabula
04-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Howard is overrated and Gasol does poorly in the D'Antoni system. Spurs merely capitalized on one of the biggest playoff collapses of all time. Truth be told however that some unexpected role players really stepped up this series.

Spursfanfromafar
04-29-2013, 03:18 AM
Wet towel - The Spurs beat the worst team in the playoffs (yes, including the Buck-nakeds).

Silver Line - Improving Health (despite Splitter's injury)

Caution alert - do not underestimate the Warriors.

Uriel
04-29-2013, 10:27 AM
The fact that we beat an injury-depleted team is irrelevant. The bottom line is the state of the Spurs itself, and all the signs appear to be pointing in the right direction (health, rhythm, match ups, etc). It's the perfect storm.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
I hope that's the case bro, but honestly, the Lakers just really sucked. I'm not 100% sure we're "peaking" right now or if an 80% Spurs is just that much better than a 60% Lakers.

I don't think the Spurs are close to playing their best basketball right now, but they're light years ahead of where they were two weeks ago. Give them another week to rest and this could be the healthiest playoff Spurs team since what, 2007?

hooperflash
04-29-2013, 12:17 PM
IT'S OUR FOCUS.

quentin_compson
04-29-2013, 01:29 PM
While it's true that the Lakers were just terrible and not a true test even for the first round, the Spurs are healthier and playing better than down the stretch of the RS. Let's hope this trend continues when they face competition that is actually worthy to be in the playoffs.

emanueldavidginobili
04-29-2013, 02:34 PM
I agree with you, but the Lakers are one of the worst if not worst team to make the playoffs. The Mavs or the Jazz would have beat this team

Cry Havoc
04-29-2013, 02:49 PM

Save your money. We aren't making it out of the 1st round.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212407&p=6483288#post6483288

You're stupid.

You're really really stupid.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2013, 03:02 PM
We said the same thing when the Spurs went up 2-0 against OKC.

RD2191
04-29-2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212407&p=6483288#post6483288

You're stupid.

You're really really stupid.

I like how you waste time trying to make me look bad. Starting to creep me out. And you can't tell me you knew the Lakees were going to play that terrible. Also, the way the Spurs looked closing the reg season was anything but impressive. A first round exit didn't seem that farfetched at the time.

Cry Havoc
04-29-2013, 03:16 PM
I like how you waste time trying to make me look bad.

You make it sound like it takes more than 5 seconds to do so. When 95% of what you say is filler or pure idiocy, you make it really damn easy.

I'm wrong.

:lol :lol :lol

RD2191
04-29-2013, 03:18 PM
You make it sound like it takes more than 5 seconds to do so. When 95% of what you say is filler or pure idiocy, you make it really damn easy.

:lol :lol :lol

You sick bastard.

Kidd K
04-29-2013, 05:45 PM
I don't think the Spurs are close to playing their best basketball right now, but they're light years ahead of where they were two weeks ago. Give them another week to rest and this could be the healthiest playoff Spurs team since what, 2007?

Yeah I agree, I definitely don't think we're "peaking" right now. As for health, what about last year? We weren't too banged up compared to every year between that and 2007. I'm not sure Tony and Manu are 100% (Manu seems to not be too close), and now Splitter. :\ Always seems to be somethin. . .

hater
04-29-2013, 06:00 PM
eh. all this could change in a manner of minutes. Let's wake up and realize all our hopes and dreams rest on a pair of 37 year old knees. To reach the finals that is. Cause nobody is beating the Heat. Nobody.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-29-2013, 06:05 PM
I want to see a legitimate series against Warriors (we know Nuggets are done for). And I agree especially on the Bonner point. I don't think he has gotten this many playoff minutes before, but he has earned them in the first round.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
eh. all this could change in a manner of minutes. Let's wake up and realize all our hopes and dreams rest on a pair of 37 year old knees. To reach the finals that is. Cause nobody is beating the Heat. Nobody.

I agree, but I'd fucking LOVE to see a healthy Spurs team give it a try. There's one team in the entire league that Miami isn't absolutely sure they can beat, and it's San Antonio.

Halberto
04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
The OP is overly optimistic. Our health is looking up, but Splitter's absence shouldn't be overlooked. We really need Leonard to make that next step forward with clay thompson on the other side, and I'm already having nightmares about Gary Neal defending Curry.

I'm praying this season isn't a flashback of 2010 where we looked solid against the Mavs in round 1 just to get SWEPT by the Suns in round 2. This GS is similar to the Suns team that destroyed us...

daslicer
04-29-2013, 08:04 PM
The OP is overly optimistic. Our health is looking up, but Splitter's absence shouldn't be overlooked. We really need Leonard to make that next step forward with clay thompson on the other side, and I'm already having nightmares about Gary Neal defending Curry.

I'm praying this season isn't a flashback of 2010 where we looked solid against the Mavs in round 1 just to get SWEPT by the Suns in round 2. This GS is similar to the Suns team that destroyed us...

The spurs could lose to the warriors but I still disagree with you on the suns comparision. Not even close not even close considering the Warriors have no one who was as good as Steve Nash. Nash went off on the spurs in that series due to not having to deal with Bowen anymore. Stephen Curry does not have the great distributing skills that Nash possesed. Also the suns had a young Amare who was still an elite big back then and this warrior's team now with Lee gone doesn't have that. That suns team in '10 had suprisingly solid defense that gave the spurs problems. If the warrior win against the spurs its going to be because of hot shooting.