PDA

View Full Version : Hack a Howard/hack a Shaquille rule.

Mark919
04-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Why should the league change the rules too help athletes who can't shoot free throws?

RD2191
04-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Why should they?

Mark919
04-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Reggie miller brought it up so did hubie brown.

Mark919
04-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Barely mentioned it i should add.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Because it's ugly, and the NBA cares more about appearances than competition.

Also, Tiago Splitter learned to hit his free throws, and it doesn't cause the Spurs a disadvantage anymore.

KL2
04-29-2013, 12:57 AM
It's not like we'll even need to hack a Howard anymore with Baynes on the roster. Dwight couldn't even budge Baynes, he was so frustrated he got ejected lol.

I think Baynes just might be the strongest NBA player right behind Pekovic, dude is huuuge.

jmanu20
04-29-2013, 12:59 AM
For all that we Spurs fans complain about le Commish, he actually does NOT agree with eliminating the hack-a-bad-free-throw-shooter strategy.

mute
04-29-2013, 01:08 AM
The argument is that how can you change a rule that entails something that is so fundamental to the game of basketball: shooting -- just because someone can't shoot free throws? On the other hand, that's absurd that you can just foul someone off the ball and have them shoot free throws. I guess I'm split on the decision.

spurraider21
04-29-2013, 01:16 AM
there would be no way to enforce it. they'll just make it look unintentional rofl. and if they make every off ball foul free throws + ball back it would be near impossible to defend post entry

Sean Cagney
04-29-2013, 01:24 AM
It's not like we'll even need to hack a Howard anymore with Baynes on the roster. Dwight couldn't even budge Baynes, he was so frustrated he got ejected lol.

I think Baynes just might be the strongest NBA player right behind Pekovic, dude is huuuge.
LOL the HOWARD STOPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW LEARN HOW TO SHOOT FT's and no problem, if not you are short.

NickiRasgo
04-29-2013, 01:26 AM
Yeah why should they. It's like they should remove the three point line as well because some players can't shoot 3's. Players should do their part.

Kidd K
04-29-2013, 01:32 AM
^ Yeah, and they should eliminate the travel rule because some players can't dribble.

Reggie miller brought it up so did hubie brown.

Fuck what Hubie Brown thinks. Dude should be barred from announcing national Lakers games due to being such a gigantic homer for them. Maybe the Lakers can hire him for their home broadcast, because he pretty much already sounds like an atypical homer announcer for the Lakers.

hyhy
04-29-2013, 06:45 AM
and eliminate ending minutes free throw when everyone fouls on purpose to stop time.

exstatic
04-29-2013, 06:59 AM
?? Stern is on record in the last week or so saying they WON'T change it. Who cares what TV analysts say?

I wasn't even happy when they put in the tweaks for the last two minutes.

pgardn
04-29-2013, 07:10 AM
It forces coaches to get big oafs off the floor who cannot carry out one of the easiest tasks in the game.

Or it frustrates the big oafs who then show their frustration by melting down. I found the viewing pleasurable.

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 07:19 AM
You shouldn't be in the NBA if you can't shoot FT's tbh.

exstatic
04-29-2013, 07:35 AM

Not sure I'd go that far, but you shouldn't bitch about it, at any rate. Every player has the power to change the Hack A You.

TampaDude
04-29-2013, 07:36 AM

^ this

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Not sure I'd go that far, but you shouldn't bitch about it, at any rate. Every player has the power to change the Hack A You.

It just shows how incompetent this fucking monkeyballer is. Earning millions and millions just to impregnate another woman, dude's impregnating % is higher than his FT% imo :lmao Rules should not change for a player especially if a player can do something about it.

z0sa
04-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Wilt and Shaq would like a word.

Seventyniner
04-29-2013, 07:56 AM
The easiest way I can think of to get rid of this "hacking" is to allow the fouled team the choice of the two FTs (taken by the fouled player) or take the ball out on the side. Shot clock resets to 14 or 24 the way it does on a normal foul. This is only for off-ball fouls, of course.

TampaDude
04-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Wilt and Shaq would like a word.

If you don't want to get hacked, learn to hit your freebies, tbh.

TVI
04-29-2013, 08:09 AM
and eliminate ending minutes free throw when everyone fouls on purpose to stop time.
Bingo. Fouling to stop the clock is a well respected strategy that guys like Hubie used as a coach, and still promote. It's hypocritical to support that strategy, and then complain about the Hack-a-Shaq. They're variations of the same strategy: taking a chance that your opponent won't hit their free throws.

Captivus
04-29-2013, 08:47 AM
If a marcian comes to earth and asks me: "What is basketball?"
My answer would be: "Is a game in which you shoot a ball inside a circle"

snickles
04-29-2013, 12:17 PM
?? Stern is on record in the last week or so saying they WON'T change it. Who cares what TV analysts say?

I wasn't even happy when they put in the tweaks for the last two minutes.

WOW!!!

thats quite a flip flop. in december he was singing quite a different tune

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/52212/david-stern-vs-ludicrous-hack-a-shaq

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/david-stern-stamp-hack-shaq-tactics-231558614--nba.html

i wonder what brought on the change of heart.....

Budkin
04-29-2013, 01:08 PM

Exactly... these guys shoot baskets for a living. The fact that many of them can't hit the most basic of shots is downright embarrassing. That and not boxing out are my two biggest pet peeves watching games.

Budkin
04-29-2013, 01:08 PM
If a marcian comes to earth and asks me: "What is basketball?"
My answer would be: "Is a game in which you shoot a ball inside a circle"

You put a ball in a hole. That's it.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 01:15 PM
It remains difficult for me to believe that a professional basketball player can't shoot free throws better than I can, particularly a player who shoots 600-900 free throws a season. Think about the scoring margins in a basketball game, then think of the value of a player who leaves six to eight points out there every single game on something so simple.

The only thing more difficult to fathom is Dwight Howard being surprised that teams would rather foul him than let him shoot.

mercos
04-29-2013, 01:17 PM
I can see both sides of the argument. First and foremost, there is no excuse for NBA players that shoot 60% or less on free throws. This is a job you are being paid millions of dollars to do, and it is not hard to get better at free throw shooting. Those that claim to be working hard to improve are clearly not working hard enough.

On the other hand, watching Hack-A-Shaq is boring as hell. At the end of the day, the NBA is a business. If people don't watch, the NBA disappears. Right now there is not a huge outcry from fans over the issue, so there is no need to change it. In the future if this became a bigger problem, the league would have to take a serious look at it.

Big Empty
04-29-2013, 01:20 PM
It entertaining in a "funny" capacity when ther player is shooting bricks

TampaDude
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
It remains difficult for me to believe that a professional basketball player can't shoot free throws better than I can, particularly a player who shoots 600-900 free throws a season. Think about the scoring margins in a basketball game, then think of the value of a player who leaves six to eight points out there every single game on something so simple.

The only thing more difficult to fathom is Dwight Howard being surprised that teams would rather foul him than let him shoot.

^ this

ironman2886
04-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Other than game 1, when Pop hacked Howard for mere minutes, the frontline, double teams, and hard fouls did enough to neutralize Howard and infuriate him to an eventual ejection. Where were consistent hacks-a-Howard to warrant a discussion during the game?

Drachen
04-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Other than game 1, when Pop hacked Howard for mere minutes, the frontline, double teams, and hard fouls did enough to neutralize Howard and infuriate him to an eventual ejection. Where were consistent hacks-a-Howard to warrant a discussion during the game?

This is what I was thinking. Pop employed it pretty darn judiciously. I wouldn't be surprised (considering how seldom it was used and when it was used) if pop's only motivation in using it was to begin frustrating Howard right at the beginning rather than an in-game tactic.

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Dwight is one of the stupidest players ever. He makes everything complicated. Just practice your freethrows and teams will stop fouling you.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Dwight is one of the stupidest players ever. He makes everything complicated. Just practice your freethrows and teams will stop fouling you.

Or work on your post moves, or work on passing out of double teams.

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Or work on your post moves, or work on passing out of double teams.

One thing, practice. But instead there's a greater possibility that he'll impregnate someone again this off season than him being better at those aspects come end of October, tbh. :lol

CGD
04-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Just for clarification: Spurs used the hack strategy a WHOOPING one time in the series v Mental midget, right?

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Just for clarification: Spurs used the hack strategy a WHOOPING one time in the series v Mental midget, right?

Yes, and it was turrible strategery. Gave the Lakers a 2 for 1. It was brilliant psy-ops in that it set the stage for Howard's frustration.

Tuddy
04-30-2013, 04:26 AM