PDA

View Full Version : who will guard Curry?

Baynes
04-29-2013, 08:27 AM
With the GSW up 3-1, and on momentum, it would be hard for the nuggets to win the series.

IF the GSW advances, who will guard Curry?

He is having a terrific first round right now. And it is a pretty scary sight for any opponent when he catches fire.

Can Kawhi guard him? Or will it be Green?

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 08:35 AM
I'll put TP on him if TP is close at 100% in his speed. TP's defense has been very underrated imho. He's one of the best defensive guards in the league. Though you can make an argument that TP will tire out, so will Curry, those shots wont fall every game. And with that the guard spot will cancel out and the rest of the crew can go for the victory.

spursfaninla
04-29-2013, 08:38 AM
TP, green and Corey joseph will grade off guarding curry I think. Probably green to start, just so TP avoids foul trouble. Curry and JJ are both 6-3, so TP can certainly guard them, and TP is probably our best pg defender.

z0sa
04-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Expect Pop throwing multiple looks at Steph.

Spur|n|Austin
04-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Hopefully CJ can continue his solid defensive ways; he'll be vital to us this next round if we end up playing GS.

George Gervin's Afro
04-29-2013, 08:48 AM
kawahi leonard

Russo21
04-29-2013, 09:12 AM
They'll try Kawhi, Parker most people forget, is a fucken good defender in his own right. PG's rarely outplay Tony head to head. So they'll give Kawhi and Tony a shot. Probably wont try Tony for too long on Curry so he doesnt get tired for the other end of the court. But i'm sure the combo's we use of Leonard or Parker will work..

Heck how bout TMAC? He's got the massive size and length and quickness and could really mennace Curry defensively. He'd probably get heaps of fouls but that doesnt matter. I'd Love for Pop to give TMAC an impossible defensive assignment against this little offensive juggaurnught and see how he deals with it. Throw him out of the frying pan and into the fire. The fire thats gonna burn the Curry.

DAF86
04-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Leonard on Curry
Parker on Jack
Green on Thompson

waisman
04-29-2013, 09:27 AM
green

RD2191
04-29-2013, 09:30 AM
green

Curry would drop 50 on green.

Old School 44
04-29-2013, 09:43 AM
I expect TP, Joseph and Green and possibly Kawhi at the end if the game is close. Pop could take the approach and concede 30+ to Curry and shut down everyone else, particularly Jack and Thompson.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
I think Curry would force Parker to exert too much injury but I guess that would go both ways.

I would love to see Kawhi's length bother Curry. You can stick Green on Jack.

RD2191
04-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Green shouldn't play against golden state. Maybe start manu or something. Jack and Curry would both destroy Green.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 10:23 AM

Curry has yet to drop 50 on the shit defenders that Denver has.

NASpurs
04-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Doesn't GSW run Thompson and Curry around screens a lot? I rather Green not be on any of those two players. Green is just horrible getting around screens... unless someone proves me wrong by some advanced stat that I missing but the eye test all season long hasn't failed me. Saying that, I would like Green on Jack.

RD2191
04-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Curry has yet to drop 50 on the shit defenders that Golden State has.

You underestimate how shitty of a defender green actually is.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 10:33 AM
You underestimate how shitty of a defender green actually is.

No. Curry could probably get past him at will, which is why he wouldn't get the assignment, but he's a way better defender than Andre Miller or Ty Lawson.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Doesn't GSW run Thompson and Curry around screens a lot? I rather Green not be on any of those two players. Green is just horrible getting around screens... unless someone proves me wrong by some advanced stat that I missing but the eye test all season long hasn't failed me. Saying that, I would like Green on Jack.

The Spurs did a great job of switching against LA when they went small and tried running multiple screens.

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
The Spurs did a great job of switching against LA when they went small and tried running multiple screens.

Can't compare it tbh. LA can't shoot for shit. GSW guards are perennial shooters. But I'm still confident that our guys win in 5.

Mugen
04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Whoever can run off the 3pt line and towards Timmy would be my guess. He's a great player, not sure if the Spurs have a guy that can adequately defend him.

IMO the key is to stop guys like Jarret Jack from putting up 20pt games like he's done the last 3 games.

Jumi
04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Curry's a babyfaced assassin! Put Kawhi on him and hope he doesn't catch fire. Green would get destroyed. I got Spurs in 6, but all six games will be barn burners!

:flag:

superjames1992
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Gary Neal.

2centsworth
04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
kawahi leonard
No brainer to me. Make him shoot over length.

iminol
04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Fell from my chair.

blizz
04-29-2013, 10:43 AM
i would NOT put leonard on him, we need him on the offensive end. it'll be tp and cojo. green will need to be on thompson and if either one are tearing it up i'd expect leonard on that guy in the 4th, otherwise, business as usual. we aren't going to go in there panicking as if we're down 0-3 already. same ol same ol.

RD2191
Gary Neal.

:lmao. Neals head would fukin explode.

NASpurs
Answer: Gary Neal.

Question: Who will Jack, Thompson or Curry torch when the bench makes an appearance?

NASpurs
04-29-2013, 10:44 AM
I would love to see Kawhi post up Thompson or whoever is guarding him.

superjames1992
04-29-2013, 10:52 AM
:lmao. Neals head would fukin explode.
NEAL WITH IT. Tbh...

Question: Who will Jack, Thompson or Curry torch when the bench makes an appearance?
Maybe Pop can play Patty Mills.

Spurs4#5
04-29-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't think it really matters who guards him...pop will make the adjustment to send him into the paint to be force to contend with our bigs...he thompson or jack won't be allowed to shot from the outside as often as they do

Cry Havoc
04-29-2013, 11:08 AM

I'm convinced at this point that you don't actually watch basketball.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Can't compare it tbh. LA can't shoot for shit. GSW guards are perennial shooters.

The Warriors' shooters are definitely better. But that doesn't really matter. It's disciplined defense vs. Nuggets defense. Great shooters or average shooters, nobody shoots as well when there's actually someone defending them. Denver left shooters open because they chased Jack around with 2 people, or guys get caught up in the screens and their defense breaks down. You know Curry's going to hit some amazing step-back threes and make some great plays, but it's the six times he's left completely alone that kills the Nuggets, especially since they lost game 2 at home by 2 points.

If you switch on the screen and Danny Green ends up on Curry, he might hit a contested three, he might go around Green and hit a two or he might draw a foul. That's a maximum of about seven possessions during the game, and all of those results are better than a wide open three pointer.

The Spurs won't double or cheat down, because they don't have to worry about Dwight Howard or Pau Gasol inside. The biggest threat Andrew Bogut poses, and it's not much of a threat, is with offensive rebounds, which doesn't require a double team.

If you keep them in front of you and they still shoot 60 percent from the floor and 48 percent from three point range for the whole series they maybe win in seven games. You shake the hand of any team that can shoot like that over that kind of stretch, because chances are pretty good that nobody's ever done it in the history of the league.

But I'm still confident that our guys win in 5.
And I'd agree with you. Thee Nuggets' inability to take care of the ball in game 4 and their inability to secure a rebound in game 2 kills them as much as their inability to slow the shooters down. If you can't touch their field goal percentage, then you have to limit their attempts. The Spurs know to take care of the ball and rebound. Once you do that, you don't need to gamble on defense, and you don't have to shut down good shooters. David Lee isn't there, so the Spurs are going to have a huge edge in rebounding, and they are going to have fewer turnovers, and they're going to shoot more free throws and make a higher percentage. The Spurs have a pretty good offense, too.

Legacy
04-29-2013, 11:12 AM
The Mac, of course. :hat :lol

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 11:13 AM

He has shitty takes tbh. Might make a case against tdmvpdpoy imho.

RD2191
04-29-2013, 11:14 AM

How many times has green gone for the pump fake on a pull up jumper? Jack would get danny every time. How many times has he left his man open on a missed rotation? Curry is licking his chops.

RD2191
04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
He has shitty takes tbh. Might make a case against tdmvpdpoy imho.

Your mother is a whore imho

EVAY
04-29-2013, 11:18 AM
The Warriors' shooters scare the living daylights out of me, but if we stay out of foul trouble I think we are fine.

Our front line should have a terrific series against these guys.

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 11:27 AM
The Warriors' shooters are definitely better. But that doesn't really matter. It's disciplined defense vs. Nuggets defense. Great shooters or average shooters, nobody shoots as well when there's actually someone defending them. Denver left shooters open because they chased Jack around with 2 people, or guys get caught up in the screens and their defense breaks down. You know Curry's going to hit some amazing step-back threes and make some great plays, but it's the six times he's left completely alone that kills the Nuggets, especially since they lost game 2 at home by 2 points.

If you switch on the screen and Danny Green ends up on Curry, he might hit a contested three, he might go around Green and hit a two or he might draw a foul. That's a maximum of about seven possessions during the game, and all of those results are better than a wide open three pointer.

The Spurs won't double or cheat down, because they don't have to worry about Dwight Howard or Pau Gasol inside. The biggest threat Andrew Bogut poses, and it's not much of a threat, is with offensive rebounds, which doesn't require a double team.

If you keep them in front of you and they still shoot 60 percent from the floor and 48 percent from three point range for the whole series they maybe win in seven games. You shake the hand of any team that can shoot like that over that kind of stretch, because chances are pretty good that nobody's ever done it in the history of the league.

And I'd agree with you. Thee Nuggets' inability to take care of the ball in game 4 and their inability to secure a rebound in game 2 kills them as much as their inability to slow the shooters down. If you can't touch their field goal percentage, then you have to limit their attempts. The Spurs know to take care of the ball and rebound. Once you do that, you don't need to gamble on defense, and you don't have to shut down good shooters. David Lee isn't there, so the Spurs are going to have a huge edge in rebounding, and they are going to have fewer turnovers, and they're going to shoot more free throws and make a higher percentage. The Spurs have a pretty good offense, too.

Agreed especially on the bolded parts. I completely forgot to take into consideration the difference between the defenses, which of course was stupid on my part. I actually saw a vid in youtube in the channel Bballbreakdown or I think one of the articles in SBnation, where they showed the defensive lapses of Denver and a lot of the defensive lapses were supposed to be easy covers as the GSW offensive ran the same play many times. Those were just game changers imho because as we all know the first 3 games have been extremely close. Their players were tired or just plain stupid, and those were EXPOSED on that video.

Yup, if a team can shoot lights out the whole series then you gotta hand it to them but then again our defense is way better than Denver's and we just have the better team against either GS or Denver. If we can't win against either of the two then we don't deserve to be in the WCF, simple as that. Spurs need to beat the teams they are supposed to beat. Spurs in 5. :smokin

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 11:27 AM

:cry I'm a tough guy, I talk trash of other poster's mothers on the internet :cry
:lmao

TheCerebral1
04-29-2013, 11:33 AM
I imagine it will go between Parker and Leonard. With Lee out, their inside game is lacking. Duncan and hopefully Splitter back will handle the block.

sananspursfan21
04-29-2013, 11:40 AM
I expect TP, Joseph and Green and possibly Kawhi at the end if the game is close. Pop could take the approach and concede 30+ to Curry and shut down everyone else, particularly Jack and Thompson.

This. If curry is the only one having any success on offense, who gives a crap what Steph curry does really. Kind of always been my defensive philosophy fwiw. Curry can drop 50 all he wants to as long as everyone else is pretty well shut down. Curry: 50 rest of team:<35 then I really like our chances

tomtom
04-29-2013, 11:49 AM
I'd say start with Parker and if things get bad throw Kawhi on him.

Chinook
04-29-2013, 12:12 PM
The Spurs did a fine job on him in one game in the regular season until the last few minutes. Green and Parker guarded him pretty well, but Neal let him get hot and force overtime. I don't think you'll see Leonard on him too much to start, as Klay Thompson is no joke. You don't want to give them a size advantage.

Jack may be pushed back to the bench next series, which would mean that Leonard or Green would have to guard Barnes. Then the other would have to guard Thompson, because Parker probably wouldn't be able to do it. So I expect Parker, Green and Joseph to spend the most time on him, while Leonard, Green and Ginobili will guard Thompson, and Leonard, Ginobili, Green and Neal will guard Barnes. Joseph, Green, Parker and Ginobili and Neal will probably guard Jack.

Curry's good, but he's overhyped as a star. Green's a pretty good man defender, and I'd take Curry blowing past him just to have to deal with Duncan and Splitter over him shooting, anyway.

Cry Havoc
04-29-2013, 12:17 PM

How you aren't pinked yet is a fucking mystery.

NASpurs
04-29-2013, 12:23 PM

Is he the reincarnation of that nazi guitardude? I have my suspicion. :lol

spurraider21
04-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Leonard on Curry
Parker on Jack
Green on Thompson

This would be awesome if it happened. I'm not sure if the warriors are going to continue with the 3 guard starting lineup, especially if it means starting Harrison Barnes at the 4. Assuming Splitter is back, Barnes literally won't be able to defend his man. If they're going to let Barnes go 1 on 1 on Splitter every time, I'll take that, takes the ball out of Curry's hands. They'll probably be forced to go with Landry at the 4 and bring Jack off the bench though.

But if they do stick with the 3 guard lineup, I love the prospect of Kawhi on Curry

superjames1992
04-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Wow, brilliant take, tbh, per par.

superjames1992
04-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Tbh, I'm not sure if Kawhi has the quickness to keep pace with Curry or not. Thoughts?

I say put Tony on him and then Cojo when our bench is on the floor.

Spur|n|Austin
04-29-2013, 12:32 PM

No kidding, I wanted to pull up some of his pre-playoffs quotes earlier when he doubted our chances against the Lakers and pretty much said we were done. I thought it was brave of him to post again after his melt down :lol

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
How many times has green gone for the pump fake on a pull up jumper?

How many times does someone pump fake on a pull up jumper for it to happen? I'll go out on a limb and say the answer to your question is maybe a half dozen times all season.

Green's not going to be running three point shooters off the line because the Warriors have no inside threat to require him to leave his man. Don't get caught out of position, grab your rebounds and don't turn the ball over.

Brazil
04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Heck how bout TMAC? He's got the massive size and length and quickness

you lost me here

EricB
04-29-2013, 12:50 PM
People act like Danny Green is the only one to fall for a pump fake. Also, when did he become a bad defender?

TampaDude
04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Curry is playing like a superstar right now, but I'm not too worried about GS as a whole. Our frontcourt will dominate. Spurs in 5.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 01:08 PM
I completely forgot to take into consideration the difference between the defenses, which of course was stupid on my part.

Not really. It's a valid point that you have to really respect shooters like that, but you respect them by not leaving them alone. Jack can shoot threes all fucking night if he wants to, and you dare him to beat you four times from long range.

maverick1948
04-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Danny Green stayed on the Spurs because he plays defense and can hit 3's. The front court belongs to the Spurs. Unless Landry starts there is only Bogut to stop Timmy and that aint gonna happen. Timmy will eat his lunch. Should they try to double him, Tiago or Bonner or some other 3 point shooter is going to be open. Everyone seems forget we have beaten them twice this season when we had a full squad and in the last game we lost we had NO Tim, Tony or Kawhi. Our biggest problem is going to be stopping all 3 of the guards at the same time, but they can't stay on the court 48 minutes per game.

Thompson Kawhi Ginobili
Curry TP CJ Nando
Jack Green CJ Nando

Duncan Bogut
Tiago Bogut
Bonner Landry
Blair Landry
Baynes Bogut

The biggest question is not who we are guarding but how can they match up with the speed, size and depth of the Spurs.

Brunodf
04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Gary Neal.
This. Pop will go small to "counter" GSW and Neal will guard Curry just like that game we lost when Pop put Neal on Curry in the 4th

elec99
04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
GSW doesnt have the inside threat that would cause our perimeter players to cheat off their man and sag towards the paint. Biggest threat will be speed from curry, and who defends him. I'd like for it not to be tony as it would take away from his offense. Not many can guard curry so just contain him and keep the other 4 from getting hot.

ginobilized
04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
My guess is that TP and CoJo get the assignment early and with much help on the team defense front. I expect Kawhi and Green to get the assignment situationally. Perhaps Kawhi gets the assignment late in tight games ala Bowen back in the day.

DejuanorwhatDude
04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
People should just expect big games from Curry at this point. He will shoot great. Limit his team and they will not win. If the Spurs lose this series it's because they hand it to the Warriors, not because they are the better team.

look_at_g_shred
04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
If it happens.. I Can't fucking wait for this series. It's gonna be a great playoff series!!

Old School 44
04-29-2013, 02:14 PM
The flip side of the equation is who will guard Tony?

Captivus
04-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Im not scared of Curry (a lot?), he will score no matter what.
The guy that scares me is Klay, he is not as regular as Curry, he can be stopped.
Klay is also starting to develop a post game (he doesnt use too much) so I would say Kiwi has to guard him.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/lineup_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=single&lineup_type=5-man&output=total&year_id=2013&is_playoffs=Y&team_id=GSW&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=ge&c4val=&order_by=mp

One other thing, Curry, Klay and Jack is the 3 men line-up with more minutes for GSW in the POs; so Parker,Green,Manu and Kiwi will have to play big minutes unless the Spurs risk other players to guard them. So Tiago/Baynes with Barnes and TD with Bogut.

This minutes distribution scares me a little, the backcourt plays well, they score and the play a lot of minutes.
If I had to guess, Kiwi will only rest a few minutes, and hopefully Cojo can handle Curry.
The frontcourt...idk...
One thing is certain, the game plan is completely different (reversed?) than the one the Spurs used to face the Lakers, now the backcourt is our problem and apparently without Lee the frontcourt is a little easier.

Rk
Lineup
Tm
Season
G
MP

H. Barnes (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barneha02.html) | A. Bogut (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bogutan01.html) | S. Curry (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html) | J. Jack (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jackja01.html) | K. Thompson (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thompkl01.html)
GSW (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2013.html)
2012-13 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2013.html)

H. Barnes (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barneha02.html) | A. Bogut (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bogutan01.html) | S. Curry (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html) | D. Lee (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leeda02.html) | K. Thompson (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thompkl01.html)

H. Barnes (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barneha02.html) | A. Bogut (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bogutan01.html) | S. Curry (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html) | J. Jack (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jackja01.html) | C. Landry (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/landrca01.html)

S. Curry (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html) | F. Ezeli (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/ezelife01.html) | J. Jack (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jackja01.html) | C. Landry (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/landrca01.html) | K. Thompson (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thompkl01.html)

A. Bogut (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bogutan01.html) | S. Curry (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html) | D. Green (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greendr01.html) | J. Jack (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jackja01.html) | K. Thompson (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thompkl01.html)

Blake
04-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Curry is on painkillers for that ankle.

It might be an issue for him at some point during the next round.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Kawhi guards Curry, Green/Manu on Thompson, Parker on Jack..

Brazil
04-29-2013, 03:09 PM
I agree with Harlem

Curry is going to do his thing no matter what, if Kawhi can play physical and make him work for his buckets that's a plus. Now we absolutely need to keep Jack from going nuts as a X-factor of this serie. Overcome big nights from Curry, Klay and Jack will be tough and if healthy Curry will have it, Klay can be inconsistent but Green could help him :lol, Jack can really take off, parker is the best suited to prevent that from happening

007nites
04-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Parker will guard him for the majority of the first quarter. For the end of the first Manu will guard him and for the majority of the 2nd Green should guard him. In the 3rd TP and Green will guard him. For the 4th we might want to put Leonard on him and have Manu or Green on Klay.

In terms of lateral movement and getting past screens on defense no one is quicker then Leonard.

angelbelow
04-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Other than the obvious, I don't know much about Curry's game. I do know that in the 3rd quarter of game 4 between the Nuggets and Warriors that George Karl and crew left Curry open for 3 or 4 shots (mostly 3s) in a row. Even worse, they never made the adjustment to pressure him or stick someone on him. Curry is impressive but I doubt he gets many open looks against us in the Semifinals.

phxspurfan
04-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Congratulations Golden State Warriors, your 2013 NBA Champions.

DAF86
04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
People act like Danny Green is the only one to fall for a pump fake. Also, when did he become a bad defender?

When did he become a good one?

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 05:22 PM

Put Danny Green on Denver and he's suddenly their Bruce Bowen.

siraulo23
04-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Tp/cory would be the best options tbh. Kawhi/Danny would do decent on ball but not so well chasing him around screens

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Tp/cory would be the best options tbh. Kawhi/Danny would do decent on ball but not so well chasing him around screens

The Spurs won't chase anyone around screens, they'll just switch. Every shot will be defended. The Warriors don't have a mismatch to exploit.

jesterbobman
04-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Dean Oliver noted on twitter that after Curry gets blocked in a game, his shooting % drops off hugely as he starts thinking about it. I'd start with TP, Switch Kawhi on periodically and aim to mix up the coverage he gets. He'll make shots(Calling him the best shooter of all time is reasonable. He's pretty good at it) but make him think about it.

Dex
04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
The Spurs won't chase anyone around screens, they'll just switch. Every shot will be defended. The Warriors don't have a mismatch to exploit.

Bingo. Spurs need to do what OKC did to them last year. Switch everything, stay home on the perimeter, and watch the shooting percentages fall.

Kidd K
04-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Parker will probably get the duties because he's the quickest guy we have. Don't forget someone has to guard Jarret Jack too. Klay Thompson isn't a slouch either, so it isn't like it's really a "where can we hide someone?" situation. They have solid players at every position except PF since Lee is out.

I could see it being a straight up situation, except we're going to hide Neal on someone if Curry and Jack are both out there. At best, Tony may get switched to Jack and Green to Curry, if not just so Tony can conserve more energy for offense. Tony's not incapable of guarding him well though.

aal04
04-29-2013, 06:09 PM
TP has problems with long players. We know that. Curry isnt long.

So it comes down to speed. TP is possibly the fastest guy in the nba.
This is promising

siraulo23
04-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Bingo. Spurs need to do what OKC did to them last year. Switch everything, stay home on the perimeter, and watch the shooting percentages fall.

do you trust td/splitter/bonner/blair to contain curry on the perimeter?

okc had ibaka and their team had better length overall that bothered the spurs a lot

SpursIndonesia
04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
i'd rather have Tony spend his energy in offense mostly, rather than chasing Curry around. Green & Manu/CoJo should do a decent job if Curry's on ball, while Kawhi would be the guy if he's playing off the ball with Jack as the ball handler.

Maddog
04-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Who guards Parker?
Curry and his gimpy ankle?
Especially when you have TP Manu and kawhi in together

hater
04-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Corey Joseph

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 06:30 PM

The Thunder get some credit for Thabo on Parker, but they also needed their own guys to shoot ungodly percentages while the Spurs just forgot how to hit anything. This isn't even close to the same kind of matchup. What the Spurs really need to do is rebound and take care of the ball. If they do that and contest every shot, Golden State has no chance because they won't get up enough shot attempts to compete.

Not only is Denver's defense bad, but their offense is nothing to write home about. The Spurs are going to score points.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Who guards Parker?
Curry and his gimpy ankle?
Especially when you have TP Manu and kawhi in together

Thompson will guard Parker for stretches, which is good news for the Spurs, from a defensive standpoint(Thompson is streaky and erratic to begin with, fatigue won't help his cause)..

It'll be an interesting development, as if they go with their preferred Curry-Jack-Thompson trio, Leonard could easily post Jack if they have Thompson covering TP..

Obstructed_View
04-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Thompson will guard Parker, which is good news for the Spurs, from a defensive standpoint(Thompson is streaky and erratic to begin with, fatigue won't help his cause)..
So, about 25 ppg for Leonard sound about right?

:lol I just saw your addendum. :toast

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Also, IIRC, haven't the Warriors been playing some zone vs. Denver?..

That's fine against a team with no shooters and halfcourt offense like Denver, but the Spurs would tear it to shreds, tbh..

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Not really. It's a valid point that you have to really respect shooters like that, but you respect them by not leaving them alone. Jack can shoot threes all fucking night if he wants to, and you dare him to beat you four times from long range.

:toast

Also I complete agree in that other post of yours that Spurs won't be double teaming this series so they just got to focus on their man. If some of them still ,somehow for whatever the fuck the reason is, leave their man wide open continually then Pop shouldn't let them see important minutes.

Stay on your man, rebound, take care of the ball. Game. Spurs in 5. :flag:

EricB
04-30-2013, 12:31 AM

Sigh....

TheyCallMePro
04-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Parker is a very underrated defender. He shut down Chris Paul in the playoffs last year, so I know he can shut down Curry. And we can sic Joseph on him off the bench. I don't think Kawhi should guard him; because curry might be too quick. I really think we match up well with Golden State. At least a lot better than we do with Denver. Everything seems to keep falling into place. I don't think its ironic that the Spurs and the Heat are the only undefeated teams left in the playoffs. Were destined to meet in the finals, just as we should have last year. I cant wait!

Horse
04-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Who gives a shit let him score 50 shut down everyone else done deal!

spursparker9
04-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Let Curry get his 30+ pts.

The real danger is Jack going for 20+ pts.

The_Worlds_finest
04-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Who is going to guard Richard Jefferson!!! I kid I kid. If Steph Curry is the only match up problem, we have no real problems.

exstatic
04-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Make Curry earn his 30+ pts.

The real danger is Jack going for 20+ pts.

exstatic
04-30-2013, 08:04 AM
The flip side of the equation is who will guard Tony?
This. He should carve them up into tiny pieces.

I guarantee you that his looks will be a LOT easier than Curry's.

exstatic
04-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Another thing is that one of the best ways to slow a shooter down is to ATTACK him on offense. I don't think Mark Jackson is stupid enough to guard Parker with Curry, but whoever he is guarding needs touches, even if it's Green. Burn those legs making him run through screens, more screens, and double and triple screens.

Old School 44
04-30-2013, 08:34 AM
^ I'm with you. Make Curry work. I can see him tiring chasing Green and Neal off the three point line.
First game, whenever it starts, I would run at every opportunity. Test those ankles.

exstatic
04-30-2013, 11:16 AM
^ I'm with you. Make Curry work. I can see him tiring chasing Green and Neal off the three point line.
First game, whenever it starts, I would run at every opportunity. Test those ankles.

The ankles are a different issue. They'll hold up or they won't. If you run his ass, even if he's healthy, those legs are going to burn, and he'll start leaving the jumpers short.

Legacy
04-30-2013, 03:14 PM
http://cjzero.com/gifs/CurryIgnoresGreen.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=xWN-e1sLt3dWZM&tbnid=OL6Nhvg8C1BHVM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fminustwentytwo.com%2F2013%2F02%2F 28%2Fstephen-curry-leaves-draymond-green-hanging-gif%2F&ei=5iOAUZKGDOTV2QWG3IDACQ&bvm=bv.45645796,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNErux--XuZnIgoLpdFesmQffwBsTw&ust=1367438538342738) :lol :lol :lol http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2246459/currydance.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=KJExd3xsqHrM8M&tbnid=PwTarb7C2c2DpM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbnation.com%2F2013%2F2%2F27% 2F4038472%2Fstephen-curry-is-drilling-threes-dancing-at-madison-square-garden&ei=RCWAUautH8jb2AXf1YHABQ&bvm=bv.45645796,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNErux--XuZnIgoLpdFesmQffwBsTw&ust=1367438538342738)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/files/2013/02/curry1.jpg

moisaenz
04-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Jack has been more dangerous than Curry,even when he played in New Orleans. Curry most probably will show up but if Jack's contribution can be diminished this will pressure Curry to take more shots.

tmtcsc
04-30-2013, 04:03 PM
They need to keep the ball out of his hands. That would be a good start. If or when he gets it, try and trap hard like teams do to Tony and make him give it up. It wears players down physically to work this hard before even getting to shoot. Just my opinion.

GS has other options that have hurt us this year. We've done a decent job on Curry if I'm not mistaken but Jack has gone off and exceeded his averages.
Curry will usually get his points but you have to judge that against how many shot it takes him to get there. His best game against us was when we benched Tim, Manu and Tony.