PDA

View Full Version : Has the world reallY caught up to the NBA?

ICE3000
07-09-2005, 08:06 PM
If caught up means can the rest of the world compete w/o gettin totally embarresed then I would say yes...but if caught up means bein as good as the USA I would have to say absoFUCKINlutly not... I asked this qestion on the spurs board but I think its more appropriate here: Do yall think that if the United States had its best posibble team available for the OLYMPIC games any team even had a chance at beating them what if th team looked somthing like this:

starting line-up

KOBE
T-MAC
TD
KG
SHAQ

BENCH
AI
RAY ALLEN
J-ONEIL
BEN WALLACE
BILLUPS
LEBRON
D-WADE

I just threw a bench together but I still say that team wins the gold easily... what yall think?

Sense
07-09-2005, 08:10 PM
If caught up means can the rest of the world compete w/o gettin totally embarresed then I would say yes...but if caught up means bein as good as the USA I would have to say absoFUCKINlutly not... I asked this qestion on the spurs board but I think its more appropriate here: Do yall think that if the United States had its best posibble team available for the OLYMPIC games any team even had a chance at beating them what if th team looked somthing like this:

starting line-up

KOBE
T-MAC
TD
KG
SHAQ

BENCH
AI
RAY ALLEN
J-ONEIL
BEN WALLACE
BILLUPS
LEBRON
D-WADE

I just threw a bench together but I still say that team wins the gold easily... what yall think?

Where's the point guard?

ICE3000
07-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Where's the point guard?

We dont need a "conventional" point gaurd the way most international teams dont need "conventional" big men... we have guys on that team that can handle the rock well enough to get the job done just fine imo

Leetonidas
07-09-2005, 08:18 PM
AI should be a starter. Amare should be the SF.

ICE3000
07-09-2005, 08:30 PM
AI should be a starter. Amare should be the SF.

damn I forgot Amare!!

Sense
07-09-2005, 08:32 PM
We dont need a "conventional" point gaurd the way most international teams dont need "conventional" big men... we have guys on that team that can handle the rock well enough to get the job done just fine imo

You are playing against the international team, you got enough big man with shaq, kg, and duncan.... you need a good midrange shooter..that's nash for pg.

You do need a pg.

ICE3000
07-09-2005, 09:02 PM
You are playing against the international team, you got enough big man with shaq, kg, and duncan.... you need a good midrange shooter..that's nash for pg.

You do need a pg.

nash would be ineligble I think....

midrang shooter howabout RIP

PG howabout KIDD?

King
07-09-2005, 09:23 PM
The world has caught up when you take a "team" of superstars, give them a week or so to practice, and expect them to win on talent alone. They're matching up against actual teams that have played together for years and years. If you took a championship team from any NBA season and put them in the Olympics, I have no doubt they'd tear through the competition.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-09-2005, 09:50 PM
stupid argument because of the different rules and differnet officiating.

if the best world team played a team of the best american NBA players in an NBA arena withNBA officials they would get made fools of

but if the reverse happens, then we are not number 1 anymore, as has been proven. they have gotten much better but if htey played on our courts theyd get annihilated.

Supreme Allah
07-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Michael Redd=best midrange shot in NBA

orhe
07-10-2005, 11:03 AM

i'm sorry to break your eggs
Rip Hamilton

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 03:18 PM

starting line-up

KOBE
T-MAC
TD
KG
SHAQ

BENCH
AI
RAY ALLEN
J-ONEIL
BEN WALLACE
BILLUPS
LEBRON
D-WADE

excuses, excuses, excuses... :lmao If the US is so sure that they could beat any team with their best, then send your best! and if you don't send your best because you actually don't care about the Olympics then stop bitching about it.

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:25 PM

i'm sorry to break your eggs
Rip Hamilton

I'm sorry but you're totally wrong..

it is Rip Hamilton..

and ManuMania.... the truth is, Argentina did not get the best of the US...so that eventually means that Argentina got it without actual competition.

Yeah, you got it last year, but you can't get it against a dream team..

period.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry but you're totally wrong..

it is Rip Hamilton..

and ManuMania.... the truth is, Argentina did not get the best of the US...so that eventually means that Argentina got it without actual competition.

Yeah, you got it last year, but you can't get it against a dream team..

period. don't tell me, SHOW ME! I'm not saying we would definately win, I'm saying we'll never know unless you DO send your best. Too bad your best don't have the commitment that the rest of the world does. Plus, Stoudamire, Wade... I'm sorry I think you did send the best, they just weren't the best team

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:29 PM
don't tell me, SHOW ME! I'm not saying we would definately win, I'm saying we'll never know unless you DO send your best. Too bad your best don't have the commitment that the rest of the world does. Plus, Stoudamire, Wade... I'm sorry I think you did send the best, they just weren't the best team

Argentina and the rest of the world has nothing to play for after the olympics...the tournaments they play and the leagues are not as competitive.

And if you really think the Argentina team can beat the US team with their best......

well that's just hilarious. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Argentina and the rest of the world has nothing to play for after the olympics...the tournaments they play and the leagues are not as competitive.

And if you really think the Argentina team can beat the US team with their best......

well that's just hilarious. :lol
hey I understand if you don't want to admit it, I expected that. We'll see if the US rises to the challenge next olympics, or if you just give up and send washouts instead. All i'm saying is the world would like a chance to play against your best, if the US can't provide their best then don't bitch about only getting third place.

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:35 PM
hey I understand if you don't want to admit it, I expected that. We'll see if the US rises to the challenge next olympics, or if you just give up and send washouts instead. All i'm saying is the world would like a chance to play against your best, if the US can't provide their best then don't bitch about only getting third place.

Lmao no one is bitching about third place...

you earned it, but we feel you could've been beated if we had the best..

and indeed you would've... the argentinian team was nothing special. You know you were expecting Argentina to lose too, but you know you had no chance if we had our best, just like all the other years...

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 03:36 PM
This crap is getting old now.

ICE3000 is obviously still pissed from 11 months ago.

so that eventually means that Argentina got it without actual competition.

Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Lebron James, Amare Stoudemire, Stephon Marbury, Dwayne Wade, and all those all-stars.....your right man, they aren't competition.

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Lebron James, Amare Stoudemire, Stephon Marbury, Dwayne Wade, and all those all-stars.....your right man, they aren't competition.

That's obviously not the best.

Amare did not have the game he has now...Lebron was barely improving...stephon marbury SUCKS...allen iverson tried not to ball hog, and Tim was getting jewed by the officials.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 03:42 PM

Amare did not have the game he has now...Lebron was barely improving...stephon marbury SUCKS...allen iverson tried not to ball hog, and Tim was getting jewed by the officials.
Amare started shining early in last season, how good can you get in a couple of months???

Marbury was one of the only leaders on the team last year along with AI.

Lebron was good enough, so was Wade.

Tim was getting "jewed" ?

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Lmao no one is bitching about third place...

you earned it, but we feel you could've been beated if we had the best..

and indeed you would've... the argentinian team was nothing special. You know you were expecting Argentina to lose too, but you know you had no chance if we had our best, just like all the other years...
Oh please!! no one is bitching about third place??? This whole thread is about third place!! Face it, the US sent some of their best to play, and you lost. If you want that to change, don't cry about how "we didn't have our best", that's just pathetic! I guess TD is just the best power forward of all time when he's playing for the Spurs!? Give me a break! If you want to change that, send your so called best next olympics and if you beat everyone then say we are the best, don't be a sore loser.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Because most of "the best" pussied out.

T-mac is scurred of terrorists, Shaq is a lazy fat fuck that would have ran out of breath in no time, just like Yao did, and Yao is in better shape than Shaq.

KG didn't wanna play.

They all had the chance dude, they're just making up excuses like bitches.

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Amare started shining early in last season, how good can you get in a couple of months???

Amare did nothing on the olympics....absolutely nothing, he looked nothing to what he is today.

Marbury was the worst player on the roster. AI and Tim were doing everything, but Tim's no longer going to go to the olympics due to the bad officiating.

Lebron and Wade weren't prepared, they tried, but they looked confused to the style of play... so they contributed nothing.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 03:44 PM
the argentinian team was nothing special. You know you were expecting Argentina to lose too, but you know you had no chance if we had our best, just like all the other years...
???

How do you know what people think?

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Oh please!! no one is bitching about third place??? This whole thread is about third place!! Face it, the US sent some of their best to play, and you lost. If you want that to change, don't cry about how "we didn't have our best", that's just pathetic! I guess TD is just the best power forward of all time when he's playing for the Spurs!? Give me a break! If you want to change that, send your so called best next olympics and if you beat everyone then say we are the best, don't be a sore loser.

You need to stfu and not be proud of the win period... even though I would be for Manu, but the truth stands as it is.

We didn't send a team.

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:45 PM

T-mac is scurred of terrorists, Shaq is a lazy fat fuck that would have ran out of breath in no time, just like Yao did, and Yao is in better shape than Shaq.

KG didn't wanna play.

Let's just say, you guys get beat with our best players.

as simple as that sounds, it's the truth.

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:46 PM
???

How do you know what people think?

It's called knowing moron pride.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 03:47 PM
????

ok.

What's goin on in my mind right now Sense?

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Amare did nothing on the olympics....absolutely nothing, he looked nothing to what he is today.

Marbury was the worst player on the roster. AI and Tim were doing everything, but Tim's no longer going to go to the olympics due to the bad officiating.

Lebron and Wade weren't prepared, they tried, but they looked confused to the style of play... so they contributed nothing.
Look, noone is telling you the US didn't have more individual talent, they just weren't playing as a team! that's why you lost! not lack of talent! What makes you think that if you put more talent in, that they will win everything when that wasn't the problem to begin with! Stop making dumb excuses

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 03:48 PM
moron pride!??? ok now you're just being an asshole!! Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!! Who the fuck do you think you are!??

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Look, noone is telling you the US didn't have more individual talent, they just weren't playing as a team! that's why you lost! not lack of talent! What makes you think that if you put more talent in, that they will win everything when that wasn't the problem to begin with! Stop making dumb excuses

There's no excuse in the truth.

We've always sent our best, and they always had chemistry... allstar games, playoffs, etc.

The fact is we didn't send the star players you all hate to love.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Sense you are a bandwagoner.

Coming into the Olympics, you probably thought that your team was gonna kick ass...but you were wrong.Not only Argentina, but Puerto Rico and Italy also beat the US last summer...

Then after the 1st loss, you probably said you guys are the worst team ever.

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:50 PM
????

ok.

What's goin on in my mind right now Sense?

rofl, I don't think I said

"reading morons minds"..

I'm sorry I don't do that.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 03:50 PM
There's no excuse in the truth.

We've always sent our best, and they always had chemistry... allstar games, playoffs, etc.

The fact is we didn't send the star players you all hate to love.
oh give me a fucking break!! You know what, I'm not even going to continue this stupid argument, you think what you need to think to keep your ego intact!

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Sense you are a bandwagoner.

Coming into the Olympics, you probably thought that your team was gonna kick ass...but you were wrong.Not only Argentina, but Puerto Rico and Italy also beat the US last summer...

Then after the 1st loss, you probably said you guys are the worst team ever.

Bandwagoner?
:lol

No, I didn't think they were winning at all...just by looking at the sophmore players and the rookie on it. the ballhug and the simply bad players all in the mix...with Tim Duncan.

No, I actually thought they were the worst olympic team...just like everyone else.

Because by the results..they were.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 03:54 PM
rofl, I don't think I said

"reading morons minds"..

I'm sorry I don't do that.
Oh ok, I'm a moron because I have pride in my country and what they did on the basketball court last summer, and how that was their first gold medal???
Yeah, I guess that does make me a moron....

Sense, you are one ignorant, hypocritical bastard.

Last week, you were complaining so badly that the thread in the Club called La Migrahad a video that made fun of Mexicans. You were flipping on how ignorant that was.

But not all of the sudden,
Tim was getting jewed by the officials.

Interesting...

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Oh ok, I'm a moron because I have pride in my country and what they did on the basketball court last summer, and how that was their first gold medal???
Yeah, I guess that does make me a moron....

Sense, you are one ignorant, hypocritical bastard.

Last week, you were complaining so badly that the thread in the Club called La Migrahad a video that made fun of Mexicans. You were flipping on how ignorant that was.

But not all of the sudden,

Interesting...

You like to be a smartass when the time comes.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 03:57 PM
You like to be a smartass when the time comes.
Explain how I'm being a smart ass, I'm just goin by the facts.

You get mad when people make fun of Mexicans, but you enjoy making fun of jews.

Sense
07-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Explain how I'm being a smart ass, I'm just goin by the facts.

You get mad when people make fun of Mexicans, but you enjoy making fun of jews.

The thing is you like do be an asshole, lmao...

Fine by me.

We start talking about the olympic teams and you end up "backstabbin shall we say?"

Whatever, I'm not wasting my conversation on Argentinian stupid fucks who think they know what they are talking about, ignoring the facts and the past.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Just admit you're a senseless ignorant prick and then it will be all good.

Sense
07-10-2005, 04:03 PM
I admit your a stupid fuck who doesn't know his basketball.

After that...

it's all good for me.

:D

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Have it your way, Dirty mexican.

I expect you workin on my lawn at about 6:00 PM sharp.

It's all good for me.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I admit your a stupid fuck who doesn't know his basketball.

After that...

it's all good for me.

:D
how old are you sense!?? 10? you can't be older than 10 and be this thick! Are you retarded? 'cause if you are, just tell us, it would help us make sense out of this whole deal.

Sense
07-10-2005, 04:09 PM
You guys are cool! :D

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Sense, you know I wouldn't say what I did like I just to insult you, but I'm doin it to show you what you do, only to different people. You're gonna get your ass banned again sooner or later, I'd bet all my vbookie $ on it.

Just remember that I was the reason you got back into this forum after you were banned the 1st time.

Sense
07-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I'll bet bookie on the fact that I won't get banned.

And I think anyone else would've done me the favor of pmin Kori, it's not that hard.
You have to see it from my point of view... 2 paisanos ganging up on what I believe is right.

That's just nothing cool.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 04:19 PM

And I think anyone else would've done me the favor of pmin Kori, it's not that hard.
You have to see it from my point of view... 2 paisanos ganging up on what I believe is right.

Ganging up on you???

I got involved in this thread when you were basically pointing your finger and laughing at Argentina, on how they suck at basketball, saying that they didn't play real competition.

I came in and expressed my opinion, nothing wrong about that.

I guess your favorite player, Tim Duncan, and AI, aren't any competition, but they are 2 of the best players on the planet.

mysterious_elf26
07-10-2005, 04:22 PM

starting line-up

KOBE
T-MAC
TD
KG
SHAQ

BENCH
AI
RAY ALLEN
J-ONEIL
BEN WALLACE
BILLUPS
LEBRON
D-WADE

I can't help but laughing because we as Americans still don't give the rest of the world credit where credit is due. You make it sound like we sent a bunch of scrubs to the olympics. TD, King James, C. Anthony were on our team for crying out loud. This is the future of our league and we can't hang with guys that grew up using apple baskets as rims. The bottom line is the only reason the NBA is losing respect and losing in ratings compared to all sports is because of the players. The majority would rather think about their next pay day rather than love the sport. The fact of the matter is, b-ball has become a sport where heart and loving the game rules over talent and we got taught that in the olympics and the World Championship. The rest of the world has caught up and admit it because those other countries were toying with players that many of us still fear to play against in the U.S.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 04:23 PM
I can't help but laughing because we as Americans still don't give the rest of the world credit where credit is due. You make it sound like we sent a bunch of scrubs to the olympics. TD, King James, C. Anthony were on our team for crying out loud. This is the future of our league and we can't hang with guys that grew up using apple baskets as rims. The bottom line is the only reason the NBA is losing respect and losing in ratings compared to all sports is because of the players. The majority would rather think about their next pay day rather than love the sport. The fact of the matter is, b-ball has become a sport where heart and loving the game rules over talent and we got taught that in the olympics and the World Championship. The rest of the world has caught up and admit it because those other countries were toying with players that many of us still fear to play against in the U.S.
*clap*clap*clap*

Sense
07-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Ganging up on you???

I got involved in this thread when you were basically pointing your finger and laughing at Argentina, on how they suck at basketball, saying that they didn't play real competition.

I came in and expressed my opinion, nothing wrong about that.

I guess your favorite player, Tim Duncan, and AI, aren't any competition, but they are 2 of the best players on the planet.

I'm pointing at ManuMania and the fact that he thinks Argentina can beat the best of the US. They never did except for this year, I truthfully don't think so, and Dirk, and Manu don't think so.

I don't think the team sucked, I like, obviously Manu Ginobili, and Scola...

But the fact is, you can't compare them to the best in the world, even when it comes to a team.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm pointing at ManuMania and the fact that he thinks Argentina can beat the best of the US. They never did except for this year, I truthfully don't think so, and Dirk, and Manu don't think so.

But the fact is, you can't compare them to the best in the world, even when it comes to a team.
They can compare to them. How can't they? Is your deffinition of comparing to another team being better than the other? It wouldn't be a walk in the park of the US team either.

Actually, the US lost to Argentina in 2002 in the Indiannapolis World Championships, where Duncan and KG both played. I have a video clip of Nocioni dunking on TD and KG, but I won't post it because we aren't supposed to.

mysterious_elf26
07-10-2005, 04:35 PM

KG didn't wanna play.

That is exactly what I mean. It is pretty fuckin embarrassing that people who are chosen to represent their own country would actually back down because they are scared of terrorists. Bootom line is every athlete in every country were scared, the difference was that they took the honor to represent rather and making bullshit excuses.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 04:40 PM
I think the amount of money these guys get paid has a lot to do with their selfishness. If I had a chance to represent my country, I would do it in a heartbeat, and it wouldn't necessarily have to be basketball. If they paid players to compete in the olympics, then maybe they would go. Who knows.

The love of the game seems to diminish after players get to the superstar status in the NBA.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 04:46 PM

WE DID BEAT THE BEST THE US WAS WILLING TO SEND!!! what the hell do you call TD? or AI? scrubs?? All I'm saying is if you're going to make excuses like "we didn't send our best" then send your best and stop crying! You're the one that called our pride in our basketball "moronic"!!

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 04:47 PM

Ganging up on you??? You're the one that started the insults! don't come crying when we insult you back!

spurschick
07-10-2005, 04:51 PM
...the argentinian team was nothing special

Then why do the Spurs have so much interest in Scola and Oberto? And why did they put such a priorty on signing Manu last summer?

A lot of people remember the original dream team that wiped the floor with everyone. Those guys were, IMO, the ultimate dream team. They checked their egos and played as a team. I don't think we've seen anything like that from Team USA since. Most of the guys that go are good guys, i.e. Tim, but they just don't have the chemistry of the original dream team.

I think that the success of Argentina had a lot to do with them having played together for so long. They've scrapped it out through the years and it's finally paying off. I'd say that any national team that has kept their core guys together and stayed focus have a chance to beat anybody. You take a group of USA's best guys and have them play together for a couple of years, they would definitely give anyone a run for their money. But that's not how Team USA works. They obviously got the message though and are making some changes - I'll be interested to see what happens next.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Then why do the Spurs have so much interest in Scola and Oberto? And why did they put such a priorty on signing Manu last summer?

A lot of people remember the original dream team that wiped the floor with everyone. Those guys were, IMO, the ultimate dream team. They checked their egos and played as a team. I don't think we've seen anything like that from Team USA since. Most of the guys that go are good guys, i.e. Tim, but they just don't have the chemistry of the original dream team.

I think that the success of Argentina had a lot to do with them having played together for so long. They've scrapped it out through the years and it's finally paying off. I'd say that any national team that has kept their core guys together and stayed focus have a chance to beat anybody. You take a group of USA's best guys and have them play together for a couple of years, they would definitely give anyone a run for their money. But that's not how Team USA works. They obviously got the message though and are making some changes - I'll be interested to see what happens next.
I agree 100%!! I like you spurschick!http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 05:38 PM

dude alvarez, if you think amare stoudamire was playing in the olympics the way he was against the spurs in the WCF youre a moron
if you think marbury was a leader on that team you are just repeating stuff you probably read on the internet

wade did shit in the olympics too
lebron played pretty good defensively but thats it

and tim was getting jewed like no freaking other....

spurschick
07-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Okay everybody... hug it out. :spin

spurschick
07-10-2005, 07:14 PM
American Reign Is Over for Good
By Adriano Albuquerque
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jul 7, 2005, 15:23
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_13283.shtml

US basketball fans, I'm sorry to break this one to you, but the reign is over and it's not coming back. Most people thought that loss to Argentina in the 2004 Olympics was just a lapse, the wake up slap in the face americans needed to get back on the horse and become dominating again in the world stage, but it's not gonna happen. Not if USA Basketball works the way they've planned.

Right after the 2004 Olympics, the organization started making plans for the country to not repeat the Athens fiasco. Panels of former Olympic coaches and players were assembled to discuss how to change the picture on the National Team, to make the best players want to represent the country in the world stage, plus making trials for them to prove themselves.

Then, comes the first world-stage test for americans, the Tournament of Americas, which happens next August in the Dominican Republic, but nothing happens. USA Basketball nominates former USA Basketball and CBA coach Mo McHone as the head coach and starts trials for NBDL and other leagues players. NBA guys? Nowhere to be found. And if that wasn't bad enough, they only get together for training in August 6th, less than a month away from the Tournament, which qualifies for next year's World Championships, in Japan.

I wonder what those guys are thinking, seriously. I wonder, they probably think Argentina was an overnight story. They forget that, by now, they almost got beaten at the Sydney Olympycs, at the Goodwill Games one year after that, and then got beaten at the World Championships (in Indianapolis), at the PanAm Games and in Athens, by Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Puerto Rico and Lithuania.

The Tournament of Americas qualifies four teams for the Worlds. Argentina's already qualified, but that doesn't make the job any easier. There's still Brazil, Canada, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Puerto Rico, all teams with NBA players on their rosters. Not to mention Uruguay, Venezuela and Panama, which complete the field and can be threats. There's a HUGE risk that americans don't make it to the Worlds, which is the best preparation stage they will find for the 2008 Olympics.

Argentina wasn't overnight. That group of kids, with Ginobili, Luis Scola, Fabrício Oberto, Andres Nocioni, Leonardo Gutierrez and Pepe Sanchez, has been playing together since they were teenagers. They know each other better than they know themselves. They've played the FIBA game forever and the rule differences that bother americans mean nothing to them.

Brazil, Canada and Puerto Rico aren't overnight, either. Their training camps will start in July and they're deep and hungry. They're not preparing just for the Worlds, they're already making the basis for 2008. USA tells me they're gonna send some CBA people and solve it? The time to start preparing for China-2008 is now.

Specially with pro basketball, with NBA players, which don't get rests and friendly games during the season. They only have about two months per year to do that kind of training together, so do it. Don't wait another year.

If the Americas field is already that deep, imagine when you throw in Europe, with Italy, France, Spain, Lithuania, Serbia & Montenegro, Germany, Turkey... And don't forget Australia and China!

Americans don't need panels of former greats, don't need to make trials. It's pure and simple: get the best ones on the floor, and get them early. Get Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Jason Kidd, Tracy McGrady, AI, Ray Allen, Tim Duncan, KG, Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, SHAQ, and get them practicing now.

Yeah, I know that's impossible... And that's probably why the reign is over. For good.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 07:33 PM
dude alvarez, if you think amare stoudamire was playing in the olympics the way he was against the spurs in the WCF youre a moron
if you think marbury was a leader on that team you are just repeating stuff you probably read on the internet

wade did shit in the olympics too
lebron played pretty good defensively but thats it

and tim was getting jewed like no freaking other....
That is not my fault!!!

Amare had the same talent as he did in the WCF, he just had a different point guard, by the name of Steve Nash, but talent wise, he was right there.

I have a fucking question:
When did the theory that if you have the good players, they are required to play well, or if they don't and they lose, then the opposing team didn't deserve it, pop up.

What you guys are saying is rediculous, it's not my fault that they didn't perform well or anything, but the talent was there. You can't assume that your players will play with excellence in every single game. Get real, shit happens.

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 07:36 PM
US basketball fans, I'm sorry to break this one to you, but the reign is over and it's not coming back
Period.

:smokin

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 07:47 PM
im all for argentina winning that trophy, im glad the us lost to tell you the truth guys, you'll never see me trying to stick up for the "team" that we sent out there

i knew we were fucked when it took an allen iverson 60 foot three pointer to beat the germans....

The only reason Sense and I were talking smack because even though we can admit you guys were by far the best team in the olympics, we're not blinded and still know that if the best americans teamed up and practiced for years together, then the world would still stand no chance.

yes the americans are greedy, selfish, etc. all we're sticking by is that simple fact. if we sent our best and they practiced together for an extended period, the world would have got owned once again. but it didnt happen. theres a reason that NOONE called last years olympic team a dream team....cuz it wasnt....

furthermore, i firmly believe that if the USA team we DID send, played against the argentina or lithuiania or any team imaginable on an NBA COURT with the NBA THREE and NBA REFS, then you guys would still stand no chance.....not because we're better than you but because anyone could tell that they called the game differently
its fact, not opinion.

alvarez if they called tim duncan for shit in the nba playoffs the way they did in the olympics you'd be pissed like no other

ALVAREZ6
07-10-2005, 08:02 PM
alvarez if they called tim duncan for shit in the nba playoffs the way they did in the olympics you'd be pissed like no other
I know I would.

But do you honostly think the NBA players need to spend years of practice together? They play from 2-4 games against every team in the league during the regular season, and then there's play-offs. They also play in all-star games, and they all know how each player plays.

W/ the Argentine national team, most of the players play in different countries, in some cases continents, so they really don't see each other until the times where they are recruited to play for the big competitions.

I just think the NBA players on the US team didn't know how to play like a real team. Adding more superstars might even be worse, if you think about it. T-mac, kobe, shaq, AI...they don't wanna share the rock.
If you remember from the olympics, guys like Boozer and Jefferson where making more of a difference than a lot of the superstars.

spurschick
07-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Just because the U.S. put their "best" players together, it doesn't mean they had the chemistry to win. Look at the 04 Lakers. They were supposed to be the best NBA team evey assembled. I think that all this speculation about the best U.S. guys in the NBA beating any international team is just that... speculation. Without chemistry, it's hard for any team to get it done. That's why I think a handful of these international teams are doing so well now. They've been playing together for years and have established great chemistry. Look at the Spurs - they've done the same with their core players.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
im all for argentina winning that trophy, im glad the us lost to tell you the truth guys, you'll never see me trying to stick up for the "team" that we sent out there

i knew we were fucked when it took an allen iverson 60 foot three pointer to beat the germans....

The only reason Sense and I were talking smack because even though we can admit you guys were by far the best team in the olympics, we're not blinded and still know that if the best americans teamed up and practiced for years together, then the world would still stand no chance.

yes the americans are greedy, selfish, etc. all we're sticking by is that simple fact. if we sent our best and they practiced together for an extended period, the world would have got owned once again. but it didnt happen. theres a reason that NOONE called last years olympic team a dream team....cuz it wasnt....

furthermore, i firmly believe that if the USA team we DID send, played against the argentina or lithuiania or any team imaginable on an NBA COURT with the NBA THREE and NBA REFS, then you guys would still stand no chance.....not because we're better than you but because anyone could tell that they called the game differently
its fact, not opinion.

alvarez if they called tim duncan for shit in the nba playoffs the way they did in the olympics you'd be pissed like no other I think that if the US has the same players they had in Athens, but this time, makes sure that these "superstars" actually learn how to play like a team, then yeah I think they would beat nearly everyone they went up against. But until they do, that will always be an IF, and it doesn't change the fact that right now, the US is simply not the best in basketball anymore. Not because of lack of talent, because everyone knows they have it, but lack of chemistry! Which is much more important IMO. Personally I do think the US is going to win next Olympics, but until then...

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I know I would.

But do you honostly think the NBA players need to spend years of practice together? They play from 2-4 games against every team in the league during the regular season, and then there's play-offs. They also play in all-star games, and they all know how each player plays.

W/ the Argentine national team, most of the players play in different countries, in some cases continents, so they really don't see each other until the times where they are recruited to play for the big competitions.

I just think the NBA players on the US team didn't know how to play like a real team. Adding more superstars might even be worse, if you think about it. T-mac, kobe, shaq, AI...they don't wanna share the rock.
If you remember from the olympics, guys like Boozer and Jefferson where making more of a difference than a lot of the superstars.

yes man i do think that. like you said 2-4 games against every team...thats jack shit...im sure real teams play 2-4 games against each other in the course of 1-2 days not 1 entire season.

its like playing in real life man it takes you constant hours of working together to know each others tendencies and shit, its different than playing together or playing against...

Sense
07-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Whatever, I understand you want to give your teams a chance when it comes to international basketball..

So I don't care, I stand for what I believe, and I'm not American.

SpizdiStrann
07-11-2005, 03:10 AM
guys you all talk about US agains Argentina and other smaller European countries.. but you canīt compare US to Italy, or France, or even Slovenia.. US have 300. milion people, Slovenia just 2 million!!! there is no sense. and if you are thinking of making a dream team, that can not be beaten, think also about another way. what about european dream team????? createn from players from nba and EL, against your superstars.
my dreamteam roster::

C: Ilgauskas, Brezec, rasho
PF: Nowitzki, Gasol
SF: Stojakovic, Kirilenko, Radmanovic
SG: Macijauskas, Nachbar, some other sharpshooters
PG: Sarunas, Parker, Lakovic

and there are many other great player..
and if these players really become a team.. is there any possible team that can stop them??? i donīt think so :smokin

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-11-2005, 05:08 AM
They can compare to them. How can't they? Is your deffinition of comparing to another team being better than the other? It wouldn't be a walk in the park of the US team either.

Actually, the US lost to Argentina in 2002 in the Indiannapolis World Championships, where Duncan and KG both played. I have a video clip of Nocioni dunking on TD and KG, but I won't post it because we aren't supposed to.

Neither KG or TD played in the 2002 World Championships, that Nocioni dunk is from a Olympics Qualifying Tournament (I believe the year was 1999 or 2000).

For the people that say that TD was getting jewed: Actually he was getting the non-NBA calls. That means, "I don't care if you are a two times NBA champ, three times MVP, I'm still calling a foul when I should". Fans of international basketball will certainly tell you that appart from the different rules, and the more team oriented play, the other big difference with the NBA is that most of the referees don't give cheap star calls.

ALVAREZ6
07-11-2005, 06:06 AM
Neither KG or TD played in the 2002 World Championships, that Nocioni dunk is from a Olympics Qualifying Tournament (I believe the year was 1999 or 2000).

Oh really, I thought they did. I forgot when the Nocioni dunk was from.

samikeyp
07-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Tim was getting hosed. I do agree that the refs were calling actual fouls on the US players, something they were not used to...but they were also stacking it against Timmy because he was an NBA star, IMO. That being said, it doesn't matter. The fundamental flaw in USA Basketball (the organization) finally proved fatal. Spurschick hit it on the head. Argentina's team has played together for years. They know what each other can do and where they like the ball, how they move, etc. The US team just had no contiunity. It wasn't so much of a case of the world catching up to the NBA, it was the world saying "this is the way we play, like it or not" and sticking with it and letting their game evolve. If Team USA takes the talent it has, and conforms the team to the international game they will be a lot more successful. And yes, we need to send the best. Despite Manumania's rantings to the contrary, it wasn't a matter of USA basketball not sending the best, it was the individual players refusing. All those players that refused were invited, they just chose to turn it down. One thing I will give the international players, to them it seems that playing for your country is the ultimate honor. A lot of US players could care less. The "sportscenter, And 1, hood rat, I gots ta get mine" mentality that has infected NBA basketball has replaced Gold with green.

ICE3000
07-11-2005, 06:45 PM
guys you all talk about US agains Argentina and other smaller European countries.. but you canīt compare US to Italy, or France, or even Slovenia.. US have 300. milion people, Slovenia just 2 million!!! there is no sense. and if you are thinking of making a dream team, that can not be beaten, think also about another way. what about european dream team????? createn from players from nba and EL, against your superstars.
my dreamteam roster::

C: Ilgauskas, Brezec, rasho
PF: Nowitzki, Gasol
SF: Stojakovic, Kirilenko, Radmanovic
SG: Macijauskas, Nachbar, some other sharpshooters

C:SHAQ, BEN WELLACE
PF:DUNCAN,AMARE
SF:GARNETT,T-MAC
SG:KOBE,WADE

ADD ONS: REDD;LBJ; AND ANYBODY ELSE

You have to be kidding me... you got Rasho on that list your team loses the minute he steps on the court against the U.S DIRK cant fade KG GASOL wil get murdered by TD lets not talk about the SG position that team wouldnt beat the NC tarheals lol
PG: Sarunas, Parker, Lakovic

and there are many other great player..
and if these players really become a team.. is there any possible team that can stop them??? i donīt think so :smokin

MaNuMaNiAc
07-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Tim was getting hosed. I do agree that the refs were calling actual fouls on the US players, something they were not used to...but they were also stacking it against Timmy because he was an NBA star, IMO. That being said, it doesn't matter. The fundamental flaw in USA Basketball (the organization) finally proved fatal. Spurschick hit it on the head. Argentina's team has played together for years. They know what each other can do and where they like the ball, how they move, etc. The US team just had no contiunity. It wasn't so much of a case of the world catching up to the NBA, it was the world saying "this is the way we play, like it or not" and sticking with it and letting their game evolve. If Team USA takes the talent it has, and conforms the team to the international game they will be a lot more successful. And yes, we need to send the best. Despite Manumania's rantings to the contrary, it wasn't a matter of USA basketball not sending the best, it was the individual players refusing. All those players that refused were invited, they just chose to turn it down. One thing I will give the international players, to them it seems that playing for your country is the ultimate honor. A lot of US players could care less. The "sportscenter, And 1, hood rat, I gots ta get mine" mentality that has infected NBA basketball has replaced Gold with green.
It wasn't rantings my friend, and I understand that the US can only invite the players to go, its the same over here. I was just saying that apparently US players don't care enough about representing their country to participate in the olympics.

ICE3000
07-11-2005, 06:55 PM
how come everybody keeps pointing out the fact tha the US did indeed have talent on the 2004 squad? This is not my argument... of course we had talent we are the U.S for crying out loud. The argument is that we did not send the best possible collection of players to represent... my other claim is that even with only 2-3 weeks of practice our very best collection of players are still good enough to beat any team in the world easily

the incredible ICE300 has spoken

pooof......

ICE3000
07-11-2005, 06:56 PM
how come everybody keeps pointing out the fact tha the US did indeed have talent on the 2004 squad? This is not my argument... of course we had talent we are the U.S for crying out loud. The argument is that we did not send the best possible collection of players to represent... my other claim is that even with only 2-3 weeks of practice our very best collection of players are still good enough to beat any team in the world easily

the incredible ICE3000 has spoken

pooof......

danyel
07-11-2005, 08:01 PM
The US didnt lose based on talent, we can all agree on that. Team USA could actually build 3 teams and still be the 3 more talented teams.

They lost because of lack of commitment, chemistry, heart, pride, adapting to the rules and the refs, etc.

I don't see a single reason why that all would change whoever you send to the next big tournament.

In the other hand, Argentina has been playing the same core group of guys the last years, they have great chemistry, heart, etc. Why should I think they won't be able to beat Team USA again no matter who they send? its just one game, 40 minutes, wanting it more makes a difference, and that has been shown in the WBC 2002 and the Olympics last year.

ICE3000
07-12-2005, 12:08 AM
they would definitely give anyone a run for their money.

A run for their money? Thats it? a run for their money? you cant be serious

Sense
07-12-2005, 12:14 AM
shut up ice....

Timoha
07-12-2005, 03:03 AM
Team U.S.A had more talent but lacked the prepertion and chemistry. If the U.S. sent out one of it's better NBA teams, I think that it might have had a better chance then team U.S.A. Obviously, this tem had less talent then teams of the past. This team actually needed a lot of time to practice to develop chemistry, and it didn't. Also, I question how important the Olympics were to some players since the N.B.A championship is usually considered more important, whereas the olympics are extremely important to the other teams and they spent a lot of time preparing for them.

Also, can someone explain what getting "jewed" means and why this word is spelled as such.