PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Corey Joseph's improvement has been STUNNING

Embedded
04-29-2013, 02:32 PM
His shot from the outside was EXCELLENT, albeit against the lowly fLakers. I wonder how he will do against Steph Curry. I find myself rooting more and more for him to be put in the game. I feel he is much better than Nando de Colo at this point. I think Nando de Colo needs development. I wonder is Mr. Joseph will work on a crossover move this summer? Dude is getting exciting to watch. He took so much criticism for coming out of college too early, but we don't know, his financial situation probably warranted it.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2013, 02:35 PM
We'll see how he looks against NBA competition in round 2, tbh..

He looks good so far, though..he's a much different player when he's confident and aggressive, which was an issue for him during the regular season..

spurraider21
04-29-2013, 02:38 PM
he's been doing well against D-League guys all year, so the Lakers series shouldn't be too big a shock. However, he did well in game 1 when Nash and Blake were both playing, albeit Nash was limited

Mr. Body
04-29-2013, 03:09 PM

This.

The Lakers started a backcourt that wouldn't see time together for the Bobcats in the middle of January, for chrissakes.

cd98
04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Right. Remember that Cory Joseph did quite well against D-League competition. Also of note, the guards he was going against in the Laker series were from the D-League. Good D-League players, but still D-League players.

He played well, but the Golden State/Denver series will be more indicative of what he has to offer against more top tier NBA talent.

letmk
04-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Right. Remember that Cory Joseph did quite well against D-League competition. Also of note, the guards he was going against in the Laker series were from the D-League. Good D-League players, but still D-League players.

He played well, but the Golden State/Denver series will be more indicative of what he has to offer against more top tier NBA talent.

Sure CoJo needs more games to show whether he is up for the big stage. However, even though the Lakers guards are nobody, DH and Gasol are still standing there to block shots. And CoJo did very well with his attacking.

Also, not many of his jump shots are catch-and-shoot. Those are legit off-the-dribble shots, and it can not be made by just being hot hand. You have to have both the skills and the confidence to make those moves.

dbestpro
04-29-2013, 03:58 PM
CoJo's play against LA was way better than anything he did in the d-league or during the season. He took the open shot, controlled the offense, made the open pass, and played good defense. The d-league was stat full, which is indicative of the lack of team play that naturally occurs in the league. During the season, CoJo always seemed to be tenative. His play in LA was pure point guard pretty. I for the most part was down on CoJo during the regular season and now am happy to have been corrected.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't know about stunning; it's been slow and steady the past two years. Considering he'd just be finishing his junior year at UT, it's not bad.

z0sa
04-29-2013, 07:57 PM

Dat

The Whopper
04-29-2013, 08:06 PM
However, in his support, he played with poise and confidence and hit open jump shots. From what I understand in the D-league the goal is four feet in diameter which makes the promotion to the NBA so difficult.

T Park
04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Didnt know the first two games he played, which were against Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Artest, and others were considered "D League"

Captivus
04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
I agree that he looks better than NDC, faster,more aggressive, less predictable. I like him, the second unit whit Manu and Neal can score in bunches quickly.

ace3g
04-29-2013, 10:26 PM
As a member of the Canadian national team, Spurs point guard Cory Joseph spent part of his summer working out with the squad’s general manager.
That just so happened to be Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/04/29/spurs-notebook-joseph-learned-from-friend-nash/

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-29-2013, 11:35 PM
His shot from the outside was EXCELLENT, albeit against the lowly fLakers. I wonder how he will do against Steph Curry. I find myself rooting more and more for him to be put in the game. I feel he is much better than Nando de Colo at this point. I think Nando de Colo needs development. I wonder is Mr. Joseph will work on a crossover move this summer? Dude is getting exciting to watch. He took so much criticism for coming out of college too early, but we don't know, his financial situation probably warranted it.

CoJo's play against LA was way better than anything he did in the d-league or during the season. He took the open shot, controlled the offense, made the open pass, and played good defense. The d-league was stat full, which is indicative of the lack of team play that naturally occurs in the league. During the season, CoJo always seemed to be tenative. His play in LA was pure point guard pretty. I for the most part was down on CoJo during the regular season and now am happy to have been corrected.

:tu

He looks good so far, though..he's a much different player when he's confident and aggressive, which was an issue for him during the regular season..

Sure, he wasn't playing against great competition, but he looked really comfortable out there and that bodes well for the 2nd rd. On the flipside, he'll be guarding the best backup PG in the NBA in Jack, and Jarrett will try to take him in the post and bully him, so it'll be quite a challenge.

Didnt know the first two games he played, which were against Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Artest, and others were considered "D League"

:lol Nash. Blake tries hard (and looked good on TP in game 1 when TP was still hobbled), but he's hardly a stopper. MWP didn't guard CoJo.

mercos
04-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Joseph has the skills to succeed in the NBA. The key for him is aggression. When he is aggressive, he is head and shoulders above the Spurs other backup point guards.

racm
04-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Joseph's bulldog D sets him apart from the other guards on the squad... Doesn't need to score but I like his aggression.

He's built for the more physical, intense playoffs.

therealtruth
04-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Joseph's bulldog D sets him apart from the other guards on the squad... Doesn't need to score but I like his aggression.

He's built for the more physical, intense playoffs.

I like his defense as well. Aggressive defense forces the other team to use more energy which is what you want. He can expend that energy because he's not really needed for his offense.

100%duncan
04-30-2013, 06:29 AM
What's amazing is he wasn't matched up with LA's guard on our defense. He actually guarded Antawn Jamison. A PG guarding a PF guys, and outperformed him the whole series.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2013, 08:49 AM
What's amazing is he wasn't matched up with LA's guard on our defense. He actually guarded Antawn Jamison. A PG guarding a PF guys, and outperformed him the whole series.

I think he was probably matched up against a guard, but he ended up guarding Jamison because the Spurs weren't afraid to switch on picks when he was in the game. When's the last time we saw the Spurs switch and not have it bite them in the ass?

100%duncan
04-30-2013, 10:16 AM
I think he was probably matched up against a guard, but he ended up guarding Jamison because the Spurs weren't afraid to switch on picks when he was in the game. When's the last time we saw the Spurs switch and not have it bite them in the ass?

Point is CJ has a lot of defensive upside imho. And we need that more from a back up pg. We already have a lot of scorers on this team and as they say there's no such thing as too many defenders. If you know what I mean.

silverblackfan
04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
One of the Spurs weaknesses was a reliable backup PG. If Cory can continue to play this type of aggressive defense and offense, then it really increases their chances. His speed, quick feet, and defensive instincts are looking better and better each game. If he is good in the next round, it will give the team a lot more confidence and intensity for the playoffs.

Embedded
04-30-2013, 12:37 PM
His energy and confidence caught me off guard. He certainly didn't let the spotlight (Lakers in L.A.) get to him, if anything it energized him. I can't wait to see him against Golden State.

said7
04-30-2013, 12:54 PM
NBA level Defender already. Great pick and roll defense, hardly ever gets lost on picks. Great help defender as well.
Just needs to let it fly on O and he'll be great.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Point is CJ has a lot of defensive upside imho. And we need that more from a back up pg. We already have a lot of scorers on this team and as they say there's no such thing as too many defenders. If you know what I mean.

Couldn't agree more. There's no higher praise than to see the Spurs switch and not immediately give up a mass of points.

Dr Cox
04-30-2013, 07:09 PM
It really is impressive. I want to see how he does on Jack, Thompson...maybe even some on Curry on D.

Anything he does on offense other than not turn the ball over is a plus...