PDA

View Full Version : Kings: [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/allen-iverson-jumper-steps-over-tyronn-lue.gif[/img]

irishock
04-29-2013, 04:04 PM
@WojYahooNBA (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA): The NBA committees have voted no to relocation of Kings to Seattle, sources tell Y! Sports.

:cry :cry

ElNono
04-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Seattle been Sterned again, tbh... :lol

Juggity
04-29-2013, 05:59 PM
I seen it coming.

Seattle will get an expansion team in a few years.

jeebus
04-29-2013, 06:02 PM
I seen it coming.

Nah, they'll get some struggling team with a horrible owner that'll end up selling.

spurraider21
04-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Clippers takin over LA, so naturally Seattle Lakers soon enough :hat

Findog
05-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I seen it coming.

No, the owners don't want to split the tv money 31 ways instead of 30. Seattle will get a relocated team or there won't be a return of the NBA to the Emerald City for a generation.

Findog
05-02-2013, 12:02 PM
The team is worth more in Seattle than Sacramento, they would draw better, have a richer local tv contract, as well as being a luxury taxpayer instead of a team that is a tax recipient. They're also further along in the process of new arena construction. Also, you had an ownership group with Steve Ballmer and the Nordstrom family in it. Any professional sporting league would love to have a deep-pocketed group like that committed to spending money and fielding a winner.

The NBA rejected the bid for two reasons:

1) the Seattle arena plan is mostly privately funded whereas the Sacramento arena plan rapes the taxpayers. You can guess which funding method the NBA prefers.

2) Seattle is worth more as a boogeyman to bully existing markets into building a taxpayer-raping arena than it is as an actual NBA city. Just as the NFL prefers to use the LA market as leverage to force existing cities to build new taxpayer-financed stadiums, the NBA wants to do the same with Seattle.

If there was no way at all that the NBA was ever going to let the Maloofs sell to an out of town group that would relocate a franchise, they should have never let them proceed with the PSA. There's no way the Board of Governors is going to overrule the Relocation Committee's recommendation so I doubt the Kings will end up moving. But this could get ugly when it comes to lawsuits, etc...

Trainwreck2100
05-02-2013, 12:10 PM
The team is worth more in Seattle than Sacramento, they would draw better, have a richer local tv contract, as well as being a luxury taxpayer instead of a team that is a tax recipient. They're also further along in the process of new arena construction. Also, you had an ownership group with Steve Ballmer and the Nordstrom family in it. Any professional sporting league would love to have a deep-pocketed group like that committed to spending money and fielding a winner.

The NBA rejected the bid for two reasons:

1) the Seattle arena plan is mostly privately funded whereas the Sacramento arena plan rapes the taxpayers. You can guess which funding method the NBA prefers.

2) Seattle is worth more as a boogeyman to bully existing markets into building a taxpayer-raping arena than it is as an actual NBA city. Just as the NFL prefers to use the LA market as leverage to force existing cities to build new taxpayer-financed stadiums, the NBA wants to do the same with Seattle.

If there was no way at all that the NBA was ever going to let the Maloofs sell to an out of town group that would relocate a franchise, they should have never let them proceed with the PSA. There's no way the Board of Governors is going to overrule the Relocation Committee's recommendation so I doubt the Kings will end up moving. But this could get ugly when it comes to lawsuits, etc...

was just going to post this, maloof;s gonna be out 20million

Findog
05-02-2013, 12:12 PM
was just going to post this, maloof;s gonna be out 20million

Hansen/Ballmer are ready to put their money completely in escrow whereas supposedly the Sacto group is tapped out. I wonder what would happen if they renegotiate the binding PSA and up the sale price. Hansen has already said that he isn't going to withdraw his bid but force the BOG to vote it down. Obviously Stern was hoping Hansen would go away after the relo committee vote and withdraw.

Juggity
05-02-2013, 12:21 PM
No, the owners don't want to split the tv money 31 ways instead of 30. Seattle will get a relocated team or there won't be a return of the NBA to the Emerald City for a generation.

The NBA (Adam Silver, I think) has already indicated rough plans to expand to Europe, so I think expansion is definitely on the table

Findog
05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
The NBA (Adam Silver, I think) has already indicated rough plans to expand to Europe, so I think expansion is definitely on the table

That will never happen because of the sheer logistics involved in having a team on another continent 6 hours ahead of the East Coast. Plus, if NBA players never enjoyed playing in a city with legal weed and prosties (Vancouver), and don't like playing in a city like Toronto with all that it has to offer ( lots of nightlife and hot bitches), I don't see how they would go for London or Paris.