PDA

View Full Version : Heat: How would the 2013 Heat stack up against the 97 Bulls?

StrengthAndHonor
04-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Heat, looking like repeat champs right now. Lebron to me looks like a man playing among boys. He looks like he's not even playing at 100% and he's already dominating and a step ahead of any player in the league. Can he lead the Heat past the 97 Bulls? Crazy as it may sound, I think Lebron is the only player that can break Jordan led team from defending their championship. Do you agree?

Longley
Rodman
Pippen
Jordan
Harper

Kerr
Kukoc
Dele
Wennington
Buechler

vs

Andersen
Bosh
Lebron
Wade
Chalmers

Udonis
Rashard
Ray Allen
Norris Cole
Anthony

Reck
04-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Heat would get swept.

Brazil
04-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Heat would get swept.

:lol no

irishock
04-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Bulls in 5

100%duncan
04-29-2013, 10:08 PM
I'd still go with MJ imho.

midnightpulp
04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
I think this series would come down to the role players. Can Harper outplay Chalmers? Kukoc outplay Ray Allen? etc.

Reck
04-29-2013, 10:23 PM
:lol no

How many games do you give the Heat?

No more than 1 at best.

resistanze
04-29-2013, 10:27 PM

No more than 1 at best.
Well the Heat are clearly better than the 1997 Jazz, that won 2 games against the Bulls in the 1997 Finals.

Brazil
04-29-2013, 10:28 PM

No more than 1 at best.

It would be a crazy close serie. MJ would have to go against a great perimeter D and Lebron against pippen. I agree with mid it would come down to role players and x-factors.

Venti Quattro
04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
:lmao Shadowflames with the consistent Hoobastank bads

jimbo
04-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Jazz took them to 6, if the Heat couldn't do the same or win it's because of Rodman, not MJ tbqh.

whitemamba
04-29-2013, 10:52 PM
:lmao Shadowflames with the consistent Hoobastank bads

:lmao

whitemamba
04-29-2013, 10:54 PM
pippen and jordan, rodman would eat lechokes brain, i dont think lebron would be able to handle the trash talk imho.

Thebesteva
04-29-2013, 10:56 PM
LOL the answer is the team that makes the NBA the most money would win

whitemamba
04-29-2013, 10:57 PM
LOL the answer is the team that makes the NBA the most money would win

even hypothetical situations have to end up getting stern'd.. come on man

Venti Quattro
04-29-2013, 11:12 PM
I have the 1997 Bulls in 7 games. LeBron is great, but I think he will be worn down with guarding Jordan and being guarded by Pippen.

Reck
04-29-2013, 11:23 PM
This is too rough to watch. I'm just gonna turn the TV off.

StrengthAndHonor
04-29-2013, 11:29 PM
Heat would get swept.

I mean dude. I was 14 when Chicago won their second b2b. I'm one of Jordan's biggest fan really and I still am, but the Bulls are overrated by a lot of people nowadays. Hard for me to say this since I'm not a fan of Lebron but really, no one in that roster can check Lebron.

I'm willing to bet people would call Scottie as one of the most overrated defensive player after the series. :lol

StrengthAndHonor
04-29-2013, 11:31 PM
I have the 1997 Bulls in 7 games. LeBron is great, but I think he will be worn down with guarding Jordan and being guarded by Pippen.

Jordan was 34 or 35 at the time. Pippen a year or two older. I don't think they can wear Lebron down. Rodman would have the stamina to keep up with Lebron but he doesn't have the speed to stay with him.

Wade Jordan matchup is intriguing too.

StrengthAndHonor
04-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Well the Heat are clearly better than the 1997 Jazz, that won 2 games against the Bulls in the 1997 Finals.

Good point.

Venti Quattro
04-29-2013, 11:33 PM
:cry :cry :cry

You have the shittiest basketball takes in the world, and you listen to Avril Lavigne, Lou Bega, Linkin Park, Simple Plan and Hoobastank. You have no right to trash talk anyone.

Venti Quattro
04-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Jordan was 34 or 35 at the time. Pippen a year or two older. I don't think they can wear Lebron down. Rodman would have the stamina to keep up with Lebron but he doesn't have the speed to stay with him.

Probably, but at the least they'll make LeBron work on offense and defense. Pippen was still a primetime defender in 1997 and Jordan was still dropping performances even though he was 34-35. Also, Jordan bleeds competition. He will never give LeBron any inch.

jeebus
04-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Bulls in 6. Pippen would get in Lebron's head so easily; wouldn't be surprised if Lebron pulled a Dwight.

Killakobe81
04-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Bulls in 6 ...
MJ shits on 2013 Wade more than LeBron shits on prime Pippen.

Reck
04-29-2013, 11:39 PM
You have the shittiest basketball takes in the world, and you listen to Avril Lavigne, Lou Bega, Linkin Park, Simple Plan and Hoobastank. You have no right to trash talk anyone.

:lol you failing so hard.
:lol not man enough to take up the challenge I gave you

:lol shitty poster who listens to Hoobastank owns you nightly. :lol

lefty
04-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Bulls in 4

Rodman would get Bosh ejected in each game TBH

Killakobe81

Wade Jordan matchup is intriguing too.

You mean the guy missing a closeout game with a bum knee against the ultimate competitor.I think Bulls and even MJ are a bit overrated but they still beat this Heat team.

D-Wade
Bulls in 6 ...
MJ shits on 2013 Wade more than LeBron shits on prime Pippen.

Yep truth. 09 Wade or 06 Wade I'd like to see that matchup with MJ though.

Venti Quattro
04-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Bulls in 4

Rodman would get Bosh ejected in each game TBH

I wanna see Rodman and Birdman go at it.

D-Wade
04-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Bulls in 6. The Bulls have all the psychological/mental advantages.

mercos
04-29-2013, 11:43 PM
I'd take the Bulls in a close series. Nobody is stopping Lebron, but I think Jordan would limit Wade some. Bosh would be reduced to non-factor status by Rodman, who would also give the Bulls a considerable edge on the boards. Would make for a highly entertaining series. Lebron would have to try and check Jordan late in close games, and that would be something to see.

ElNono
04-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Bulls in 5 if you're playing with 97 rules (where handchecking was illegal but not called that much and forearm was allowed).

Bulls in 6 with current rules. MJ would live at the line, IMO.

lefty
04-29-2013, 11:44 PM
How would the Heat defend Kukoc ?

Matchup nightmare, and the fact that he was left-hander threw alot of players off

spurraider21
04-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Would be awesome to see LeBron vs those defenders. He would just back down MJ or Scottie but Rodman will give him all he can handle. If Wade was playing like his prime this series would be even more amazing. It also depends on which era's rules we're going by. Imagine how beast Lebron would be on defense back then

Killakobe81
04-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Yep truth. 09 Wade or 06 Wade I'd like to see that matchup with MJ though.

Agree 2006 Wade vs older MJ would be a battle

lefty
04-29-2013, 11:56 PM
zone or no zone D era ?
defensive 3 seconds or no defensive 3 seconds era ?

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Spo has grown on me but I'm taking PJ with MJ and prime Pippen over every team except maybe showtime Laker

blkroadrunners
04-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Bulls in 6

Kukoc would be the X factor

Jacob1983
04-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Malone's Jazz would have skull fucked Superfriends. There is no comparison. And if Superfriends had played the 1997 Bulls, the Heat would have quit at halftime in game 1 after being down by 50.

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 12:14 AM
zone or no zone D era ?

Let's say no Zone, no defensive 3 seconds. I feel the 3 second rule really doesn't make much difference here anyway. Both teams don't really have a towering defensive center.

Phillip
04-30-2013, 12:14 AM
zone or no zone D era ?
doesnt matter

makes no difference for players and teams this talented

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Malone's Jazz would have skull fucked Superfriends. There is no comparison. And if Superfriends had played the 1997 Bulls, the Heat would have quit at halftime in game 1 after being down by 50.

Come on. Malone is a perennial choker.

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 12:18 AM
I know that's the younger Jordan and he was beefier in his Mid 30's albeit slower but I just think Lebron would destroy the Bulls. Again, I'm not a fan of Lebron but I've seen this guy play 40x this year (thanks league pass) but he's just so freaking unstoppable.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/jordan-says-lebron-not-successful-90s.jpg

Cry Havoc
04-30-2013, 12:43 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao Heat would beat Utah as bad or worse than the Bulls did.

Budkin
04-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Bulls in 5. The chemistry, execution, and defensive prowess on that Bulls team was unreal. Miami would fall apart.

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2013, 01:23 AM
ron harper > gayray

Clipper Nation
04-30-2013, 01:29 AM

Damn, B.... LeBron and the Heat's greatness have got you at uncharted levels of ass-pain :lol

Reck
04-30-2013, 01:52 AM
Damn, B.... LeBron and the Heat's greatness have got you at uncharted levels of ass-pain :lol

Which is puzzling to me since the Mavs have been the only team so far to beat the 3 amigos in a series so not getting where the hate is coming from.

Monster1776
04-30-2013, 01:58 AM
A pointless argument. Who really fucking cares who was the best to ever play sport; it's all perspective. In the end they'll both be idolized by millions everywhere and payed like kings and eventually croak like the rest of us.

Bynumite
04-30-2013, 02:51 AM
After seeing the way a savvy, veteran mavs team shook Lebron in 2011, reducing him to a glorified role player. There's no doubt that Jordan and Pippen would be all up in that ass, planting all kinds of seeds of insecurity in LeBeta's head and he would regress to his old beta self.

Right now, LeBeta is extremely lucky because the east is complete shit and Durant is even more of a cucky beta mental midget than Lebron is. Looking like a starving ethiopian, oversized kenyan marathon runner doesn't help him either.

With that said, Bulls in 6.

Jacob1983
04-30-2013, 03:04 AM
Mavs beat Superfriends in the Finals. Heat fans can't say shit about that. I love it.

Spurs da champs
04-30-2013, 03:08 AM
Bulls in 6

Kukoc would be the X factor

Kukoc would be shut down or at the least limited by Battier/James just as he was by Pippen.

LeBron would have all around dominance in that series. Bosh would be the x factor tho tbqh.

Latarian Milton
04-30-2013, 07:29 AM
bulls don't have no elite big, which would otherwise exploit our weakness in the paint. ronman is a defensive freak but his limited size & offensive game would make him effectless against us imho. a defensive big with size (like TC) will often cause the most troubles to us. MJ is the best to ever play this game, which's still safe to say at this moment but no one can ensure it's still gonna hold much water some 10 years later when my nigga bron retires with 6 or 7 rings. 97 bulls and the current miami team would be evenly matched imho

Captivus
04-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Good way of looking at this.

I have one question: Which team has HCA??!! :lol

blkroadrunners
04-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Kukoc would be shut down or at the least limited by Battier/James just as he was by Pippen.

LeBron would have all around dominance in that series. Bosh would be the x factor tho tbqh.

Kukoc was a 6'10" SF/PF who could score almost anywhere on the court and a really solid playmaker. His game was similar to Lamar Odom. James would most likely be guarding Jordan or Pippen, and I doubt Battier would have much success tbh.

I agree w/ Bosh though since he would present mismatches with Longley and maybe Rodman.

ambchang
04-30-2013, 08:16 AM
For the Bulls:
Defense: Rodman on Lebron, Kukoc on Bosh, Pippen on Allen, and Harper/Jordan on Wade, the three headed monster on Andersen.
Offense, Pippen, Kukoc and Jordan can all handle the rock and create, Rodman crashes the boards. Jordan posts up. Pippen Kukoc give and go, Kerr spots up.
Coaching: KFC will kill Spo

For the Heat:
Defense: Lebron on Pippen, Wade on Jordan, Allen on Harper, Bosh on Kukoc, Andersen to roam/on Rodman
Offense: Lebron handles the rock, tries to penetrate to draw in the defense for kickouts (like what they are doing now). Lots of high low post ups for Lebron and Bosh.

The Bulls in 6, probably 7, but this will be a close series. Real close.

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 08:57 AM
For the Bulls:
Defense: Rodman on Lebron, Kukoc on Bosh, Pippen on Allen, and Harper/Jordan on Wade, the three headed monster on Andersen.
Offense, Pippen, Kukoc and Jordan can all handle the rock and create, Rodman crashes the boards. Jordan posts up. Pippen Kukoc give and go, Kerr spots up.
Coaching: KFC will kill Spo

For the Heat:
Defense: Lebron on Pippen, Wade on Jordan, Allen on Harper, Bosh on Kukoc, Andersen to roam/on Rodman
Offense: Lebron handles the rock, tries to penetrate to draw in the defense for kickouts (like what they are doing now). Lots of high low post ups for Lebron and Bosh.

The Bulls in 6, probably 7, but this will be a close series. Real close.

Dude, Rodman wouldn't last a quarter with Lebron. Bron is just too fast and as Miami's designated ball handler he will wear Rodman out and basically make the worm ineffective since you're taking him out of the post.

This is why I like the Heat's chances. They basically have a younger Jordan in a Karl Malone body.

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Dude, Rodman wouldn't last a quarter with Lebron. Bron is just too fast and as Miami's designated ball handler he will wear Rodman out and basically make the worm ineffective since you're taking him out of the post.

This is why I like the Heat's chances. They basically have a younger Jordan in a Karl Malone body.

1. People overglorify Rodman's defense on those Bulls teams I would say he was at best the third best perimeter defender behind Pippen and a focused MJ. Rodman in ihis Pistons days would of locked down LEbron ...OK I doubt he locks him down but he makes it difficult. Pistons era Rodamn would limit him much the way the Mavs did for stretches plus the help defense on the Bulls were better than the Mavs. But the Bulls version had no chance on Lebron they would have to play Pip on him Lebron is way too fast.

2. The Jazz won 2 games argument is silly since the most of this Heat core lost to a Mavs team that only had one HOF in their prime ...a great team just like the Jazz maybe even better than Utah as a whole ...but they still lost.

3. Lebron may very well prove to be the GOAT. LEbron at his best is on par with MJ no doubt about it and in some aspects (passing and defense) maybe even better. But MJ at his worst on those teams is better than Lebron at worst and MJ at his best has no peer.

4. Gotta go with MJ and Phil but those predicting sweep or Bulls in 5 are overrating the Bulls and underrating the Heat. Heat have won like 47 of their last 50. Mj though the GOAT is not flawless either. Bulls in 6, maybe 7.

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2013, 09:17 AM
bulls will be expose cause of their shitty bigs no offense and shooting % at the line, hack a scrub will bound to happen

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 09:29 AM
Forgot to mention what Bulls era Rodman loses on defense ... he does gain in rebounding which at times is a Heat weakness.
He also was a great flopper for those teams, not sure if it is obvious I prefer the Pistons era Rodman over the Bulls one ...but the Bulls version though overrated on defense was an amazing rebounder. But as a Piston he was still OK on offense and a more versatile defender.

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 09:35 AM
1. People overglorify Rodman's defense on those Bulls teams I would say he was at best the third best perimeter defender behind Pippen and a focused MJ. Rodman in ihis Pistons days would of locked down LEbron ...OK I doubt he locks him down but he makes it difficult. Pistons era Rodamn would limit him much the way the Mavs did for stretches plus the help defense on the Bulls were better than the Mavs. But the Bulls version had no chance on Lebron they would have to play Pip on him Lebron is way too fast.

2. The Jazz won 2 games argument is silly since the most of this Heat core lost to a Mavs team that only had one HOF in their prime ...a great team just like the Jazz maybe even better than Utah as a whole ...but they still lost.

3. Lebron may very well prove to be the GOAT. LEbron at his best is on par with MJ no doubt about it and in some aspects (passing and defense) maybe even better. But MJ at his worst on those teams is better than Lebron at worst and MJ at his best has no peer.

4. Gotta go with MJ and Phil but those predicting sweep or Bulls in 5 are overrating the Bulls and underrating the Heat. Heat have won like 47 of their last 50. Mj though the GOAT is not flawless either. Bulls in 6, maybe 7.

Most sensible post so far. Its intriguing when you addressed Rodman being overrated, I don't agree with that btw. He was defending some if the nastiest forwards and centers in that span, like the Davis brothers, Shaq for short stretches, Mourning and Malone to name a few.

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Forgot to mention what Bulls era Rodman loses on defense ... he does gain in rebounding which at times is a Heat weakness.
He also was a great flopper for those teams, not sure if it is obvious I prefer the Pistons era Rodman over the Bulls one ...but the Bulls version though overrated on defense was an amazing rebounder. But as a Piston he was still OK on offense and a more versatile defender.

I thought Pistons Rodman was a better defender and was underrated. He was a lot more active in the perimeter. He didn't get much exposure because he didn't looked as charming as the Bulls version and was considered public enemy for beating then Americas favorite son.

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Most sensible post so far. Its intriguing when you addressed Rodman being overrated, I don't agree with that btw. He was defending some if the nastiest forwards and centers in that span, like the Davis brothers, Shaq for short stretches, Mourning and Malone to name a few.

Im saying overrated because his feet were no longer elite. Watch Pistons era Rodman dude was amazing at sliding his feet. He also cared more about locking his man and helping on defense than just padding rebound totals and taking overly dramatic charges. Outside of rebounding I just felt he was more show than substance. and yes those forwards were nasty but not very skilled. I saw Kemp bust Rodman's ass over 6 games in the Finals but yet people were calling him the best defender in the game still ... GTFO. Great player good defender but By that time I dont know if he could shut down Bosh tbh if Chris's jumper is falling.

Putting him on Lebron would be suicide ...

Venti Quattro
04-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Putting him on Lebron would be suicide ...

He's gonna run rings around Rodman, but Rodman is totally gonna dick slap Bosh on the boards.

Clipper Nation
04-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Mavs beat Superfriends in the Finals. Heat fans can't say shit about that. I love it.
Yet you continue to have a meltdown at the mere mention of the Heat :lol

vander
04-30-2013, 10:13 AM
that bulls team would be less able to stop Lebron than half the teams in the playoffs this year

bigger faster stronger

Heat in 6

Joyrider
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
that bulls team would be less able to stop Lebron than half the teams in the playoffs this year

bigger faster stronger

Heat in 6

experience >>>> being athletic monkeys. Just ask the 2011 Mavs.

Venti Quattro
04-30-2013, 10:19 AM

The 2013 Heat core already have a championship in their bag.

Joyrider
04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
I think mentally, Bulls will get under Heat skin then ever before. Especially with Phil and how great that Bulls crowd was.

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 10:24 AM

Usually true but like Venti said Heat has ample experience with 2 trips to the Finals, Wade and Udonis had 3 trips.

Clipper Nation
04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
The 2013 Heat have experience, and they aren't just a bunch of "athletic monkeys".... there's an actual, sophisticated offensive and defensive system being run, tbh, unlike 2011...

mercos
04-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Rodman would not be guarding Lebron for long stretches, if it all. By the late 90s he was a post defender, guarding the likes of Shaq in 1996 and Malone in 97-98. Pippen would likely get the assignment on Lebron, and while he wouldn't stop him, he would make life more difficult for Lebron than any individual defender does today. Bulls also had terrific team defense, as almost all Phil Jackson led teams do. Jordan and Harper checking D-Wade would also be crucial, as the Heat do not have similarly talented defenders outside of Lebron to guard Jordan.

JRHernandez88
04-30-2013, 11:47 AM
That would be a sick ass series but I say Bulls in 7.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/723/888/MJLBJtopper12612_original.jpg?1360786919

That Jordan clutch gene would be too much...

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
jordan has already found out and how lebron likes to move on the court, force him to the left....

jimbo
04-30-2013, 12:03 PM

They don't need to say anything. They could just show you a picture of Lebron and watch you menstruate all over the floor

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Rodman would not be guarding Lebron for long stretches, if it all. By the late 90s he was a post defender, guarding the likes of Shaq in 1996 and Malone in 97-98. Pippen would likely get the assignment on Lebron, and while he wouldn't stop him, he would make life more difficult for Lebron than any individual defender does today. Bulls also had terrific team defense, as almost all Phil Jackson led teams do. Jordan and Harper checking D-Wade would also be crucial, as the Heat do not have similarly talented defenders outside of Lebron to guard Jordan.

I think the biggest factor is officiating. Will they allow Scottie or any defender body Lebron. Touch fouls are rarely called in the 90's. This amoint has increased and is probably at its worst in this era.

HarlemHeat37
04-30-2013, 12:17 PM
:lol 90s nostalgia, tbh..

Weakest era in NBA history, a shitty time for the league..

Jordan was like 33-34 at the time, feasting on 6'3 guards, tbh..

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Bulls would have the best player (though LeBron is close) better coach and also the third best player in a potential series tbh

HarlemHeat37
04-30-2013, 12:21 PM
:lol No, they wouldn't..

Prime Jordan > Prime Lebron
Past his prime Jordan << Prime Lebron

Jordan was 33 or 34 at the time, he isn't touching the current version of Lebron..

Wade and Pippen are equals in this scenario, with Wade being slightly past his prime..

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 12:22 PM

You are correct but Bulls were an exception. Also with all the injured star players this years playoff field is as shitty as the 90s maybe worse.

Achilles, Rose, Love, Westbrook, Rondo and Lee all out ...All were allstars last year iirc

HarlemHeat37
04-30-2013, 12:24 PM
You are correct but Bulls were an exception. Also with all the injured star players this years playoff field is as shitty as the 90s maybe worse.

Achilles, Rose, Love, Westbrook, Rondo and Lee all out ...All were allstars last year iirc

Only Rose and Rondo are relevant to the Heat, and they have already proven they dominate both teams with Bosh in the lineup..

Phillip
04-30-2013, 12:25 PM
If I had to choose, I would probably take the Bulls just to be safe. But that could change, depending on how much the Heat dominate in this playoff run. If they breeze through and only lose 1 or 2 games (sweeping every series is not out of the question, although unlikely) then I may change my pick to the Heat.

The main differences in this series I think would boil down to Bosh and Rodman. Bosh provides a noticable offensive advantage, while Rodman provides a noticable rebounding advantage. If the Bulls find a way to neutralize Bosh while Rodman continues to dominate on the boards, Bulls probably win. And vice versa, if Bosh can dominate offensively, and the Heat find a way to help keep Rodman off the offensive glass, the Heat probably win. But I'm thinking that there is a better chance of Bosh being limited offensively, than Rodman being limited on the boards, which is why my initial pick would go to the Bulls. But they would not dominate the Heat by any means. It would be 6-7 hard fought, slug-out games.

Phillip
04-30-2013, 12:28 PM
And all the "rule changes" and "officiating" stuff is meaningless. These are perhaps two of the greatest basketball teams in history. While both teams are good at taking advantage of the way games are officiated, they aren't necessarily reliant on it. It's not like the Thunder of these past few years, where they basically were incapable of winning games unless they were going to the foul line over and over and over. Teams that found a way to take away their ability to draw bullcrap fouls (Dallas and Miami) were able to dominate them.

lebomb
04-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Noone could really stop Bosh, Wade would have a field day on jump shots and driving to the hole.........Lebron would just be lebron, unstoppable............. Bulls in 5.

AaronY
04-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Only Rose and Rondo are relevant to the Heat, and they have already proven they dominate both teams with Bosh in the lineup..
Still doesn't change his original point which is that the field is horribly shitty this year, also after just running some of the starting two guards this year in my head...Billups, Eric Gordon, Kidd, Monta, Mayo, Beal, Stuckey, Lou Williams, Devin Harris, there's plenty of midget two guards starting now too. Probably as many as back then if not more

AaronY
04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Addressed this in previous post

HarlemHeat37
04-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Those players don't guard Lebron..James' position is currently the toughest in the NBA, tbh..

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Still doesn't change his original point which is that the field is horribly shitty this year, also after just running some of the starting two guards this year in my head...Billups, Eric Gordon, Kidd, Monta, Mayo, Beal, Stuckey, Lou Williams, Devin Harris, there's plenty of midget two guards starting now too. Probably as many as back then if not more

Yep. And only reason I brought that up was because of Harlem's point. I dont do injuries Heat can only beat the teams in front of them, same as Bulls.
I was no Bulls fan but the 90's was weak argument only goes so far. Sure it might explain them breaking the record but if you put that team in this current NBA they still win 60+ games and still would be difficult for the Heat to defeat.

Also as good as this Heat team in how many Bucks, Wiz, Kings, Raptors, Bobcats and even Lakers wins were part of that streak?

I just dont see the relevance. Question was Bulls vs. Heat not 90's vs. 2013 NBA

ambchang
04-30-2013, 01:17 PM

Though dumars guarded jordan most of the time, roman did so in stints and was fine with it. If rodman was quick enough for Jordan, he is quick enough for Lebron. And no, Lebron is not a younger Jordan, their games, approaches, strengths and weaknesses are totally different.

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Jordan faced some of the easiest guards during his second 3 peat. Kendall Gill, Jalen Rose, Reggie Miller, McKey, Calbert Cheaney, Bobby Phills, Nick Anderson and Steve Smith were assigned to him. It was no surprise that when Jordan finally faced an All NBA defense guard like Payton, he logged his lowest and most inefficient Finals series. You look at what Lebron and Wade brings to the table and its not hard to imagine them taking the series from the Bulls.

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Those players don't guard Lebron..James' position is currently the toughest in the NBA, tbh..

Wait, what?

James
Durant

Melo
Pierce

Iggy
Rudy Gay
Deng
Granger

I must be missing some guys but Not all that impressive, better than SG ...way better than center but PG has better overall qualityand PF is close tbh ... especially if Duncan is added to that list.

PG

Paul
Westbrook
Rondo
Curry
Parker
Wall
Rose
Lawson
Conley
Kyrie

SF is top heavy tbh ...

PF

Dirk
KG
Josh Smith
ZBO
Blake
Lee
Pau
Love
Duncan
Eyebrows
AL Jeff
Bosh

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Though dumars guarded jordan most of the time, roman did so in stints and was fine with it. If rodman was quick enough for Jordan, he is quick enough for Lebron. And no, Lebron is not a younger Jordan, their games, approaches, strengths and weaknesses are totally different.

No he is not, at least not the Bulls version of Rodman ... he was not quick enough for Shawn Kemp.
NO WAY he can defend Lebron. Pippen is the best bet on that team. Followed by a locked in MJ ...

thunderup
04-30-2013, 01:30 PM
After Lebron, there is a significant dropoff in terms of talent in today's league. Kevin is a distant second so the argument that this era is strong relative to the 90's is absolute bullshit. No surprise Lebron fan runs with that argument.

This era and the 90's are different for a couple of things, some more so apparent than others:

1. The perimeter players in this era are much more talented and athletic.

2. The bigs in the 90's are light years more talented than this era's.

3. Officiating, of course.

Bulls win in 5 or 6. MJ and Pippen would mindfuck Lebron and co.

AaronY
04-30-2013, 01:42 PM
You implied Jordan did well because he plsyed against weak comp. Go on basketball-reference and look at the current level of starting two guards..its a pile of dog shit..Im not bb historian but I have to believe this is one the weakest crops ever..Also there literally only like 8-9 starting two guards above 6'4 in the entire league right now. I mean he would also get to go against guys like guys like JJ Redick, Dion Waiters, Harden, Jared Dudley, Klay Thompson, etc who would have less than zero chance of slowing him down even like 1%

admiralsnackbar
04-30-2013, 01:49 PM
The rule changes in the intervening years mean the Bulls and Heat play fairly different kinds of basketball. If Miami had to play in the 90's, I like Chicago's chances; if Chicago had to play now, it's the Heat's series to lose.

SpursBills
04-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Which team today do you guys think would do the best if they played the 80's and 90's?

Phillip
04-30-2013, 02:14 PM
2. The bigs in the 90's are light years more talented than this era's.

Yes and no.

I don't disagree that the general quality of bigs in the 90s was probably higher, but the bigs today are being underestimated. The center position may not be as heavily dominated, but that's because most of the skilled big men play "PF" now, because playing at that spot allows them much more versatility. I think we can thank Tim Duncan for changing that trend, because I think a lot of people who currently play PF, would probably have been playing C, had they grew up in an era that put them in the 80s and 90s. Also, the way big men are being trained today is different than the big men who were playing through the 80s and 90s, and have more perimeter oriented abilities, which I think is largely due to what Dirk has been able to accomplish.

I think 10-15 years from now, we will all really see just how much of an effect that Duncan and Dirk had on the game, and how they really changed the way big men play. Duncan showed us all the benefits of having twin tower offenses, and Dirk showed the benefits and mismatches that can be created with having a big man with shooting guard skills.

mercos
04-30-2013, 02:36 PM

I was a Bulls fan back then (typically 90s front running kid at the time) and even I now admit they are overrated in terms of the annals of history. However, this year's Heat team is also overrated. The league is weak right now, with many of the former powers falling into obscurity (Mavericks, Lakers, Suns, Celtics, etc). The only other new power to emerge is the Thunder, and their rise has been predicated on touch fouls and free throws. Too many people are caught up in the moment in terms of the Heat. They are a good championship team, but I am not ready to call them a great one after one ring.

ambchang
04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
No he is not, at least not the Bulls version of Rodman ... he was not quick enough for Shawn Kemp.
NO WAY he can defend Lebron. Pippen is the best bet on that team. Followed by a locked in MJ ...

Well, probably I am being overly nostalgic about the late 80's Pistons. I always thought Daly was the best coach of all time, and I probably kept thinking about the Pistons Rodman even though his game (defense) got worse starting in the early 90s.

That said, I still think Rodman could guard Lebron, and I don't think Kemp was too quick for Rodman. He had like 2 really good games vs. the Bulls that series, and was decent to pretty good in the other games. Speaking of Kemp, he was built very similar to Lebron, similar strength, Lebron is a little quicker, but of course, Lebron had way better basketball IQ, sees the court better, handles the ball better, etc ...

ffadicted
04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Bulls in 5, I give batman and robin one game in south beach to keep it interesting

hater
04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Bulls sweep. MJ would put Wade in a wheel chair by game 2 tbh

StrengthAndHonor
04-30-2013, 06:35 PM
That said, I still think Rodman could guard Lebron, and I don't think Kemp was too quick for Rodman. He had like 2 really good games vs. the Bulls that series, and was decent to pretty good in the other games. Speaking of Kemp, he was built very similar to Lebron, similar strength, Lebron is a little quicker, but of course, Lebron had way better basketball IQ, sees the court better, handles the ball better, etc ...

Rodman can guard Lebron in a few stretch, sure, but what does that do for the Bulls rebounding?

Even if Kemp is built similarly to Lebron and has the other attributes you mentioned above, this doesn't render the fact that Lebron plays a different game. Rodman would be worn out after the first half considering Lebron is a ball handler. Rodman is a bad match up.

Phil will take his chances and use Pippen all day.

Latarian Milton
04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
my nigga bron is capable of playing both PF and SF, and he always poses a conspicuous matchup advantage over his opponents wherever he plays imho

Killakobe81
04-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Well, probably I am being overly nostalgic about the late 80's Pistons. I always thought Daly was the best coach of all time, and I probably kept thinking about the Pistons Rodman even though his game (defense) got worse starting in the early 90s.

I respect your hoops acumen (outside of the overreliance on stats) but that is EXACTLY why I doubt Rodman (Bulls era) could guard Lebron.
The only reason this matters to me because I still played a lot of hops was not a great scorer so I studied Coop, Dumars, DJ, Bobby Jones, TR Dunn, Moncrief and Pistons Rodamn etc. (Later on Bowen, Battier, KG) I watched their footwork, the way they shaded players to their off hands etc. Rodman didnt do AS MUCH of that anymore ...dont get me wrong ...still very good especially with his hands and using leverage but that point he was a post defender and had no shot at Lebron ...doubt he could even defend a healthy wade but I think he woud have a better shot ...

hater
04-30-2013, 08:13 PM
my nigga bron is capable of playing both PF and SF, and he always poses a conspicuous matchup advantage over his opponents wherever he plays imho

nigga MJ would absolutely obliterate Wade to the point of driving him to tears by mid-series. Then its just about beating Lebron and the most formidable defense in NBA history would probably easily do it

Big Empty
04-30-2013, 08:16 PM
So when we beat the Heat this year i guess this years Spurs would beat both

Latarian Milton
04-30-2013, 08:29 PM
wade ain't that bad and he would do a decent job guarding MJ at SG imho. we would try our best to speed up the match and to tire out those 97 TOSB bulls. not saying we're bound to beat them 97 bulls but it ain't easy for them to beat us either, shit would be a toss-up imho.

ambchang
05-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Rodman can guard Lebron in a few stretch, sure, but what does that do for the Bulls rebounding?

Even if Kemp is built similarly to Lebron and has the other attributes you mentioned above, this doesn't render the fact that Lebron plays a different game. Rodman would be worn out after the first half considering Lebron is a ball handler. Rodman is a bad match up.

Phil will take his chances and use Pippen all day.

Pippen is a great defensive player, but I felt he wasn't strong enough to guard Lebron, also, by putting him on a weaker player, he could wreck havoc in the passing lane.

ambchang
05-01-2013, 07:47 AM
I respect your hoops acumen (outside of the overreliance on stats) but that is EXACTLY why I doubt Rodman (Bulls era) could guard Lebron.
The only reason this matters to me because I still played a lot of hops was not a great scorer so I studied Coop, Dumars, DJ, Bobby Jones, TR Dunn, Moncrief and Pistons Rodamn etc. (Later on Bowen, Battier, KG) I watched their footwork, the way they shaded players to their off hands etc. Rodman didnt do AS MUCH of that anymore ...dont get me wrong ...still very good especially with his hands and using leverage but that point he was a post defender and had no shot at Lebron ...doubt he could even defend a healthy wade but I think he woud have a better shot ...

I watched Rodman a lot when he was a Spur, and he was total garbage at that point because his mind wasn't in it. In fact, his mind was only in it when he was playing for Daly or Jackson, the only two coaches who actually spent time understanding him and accepting him. When he was with the Bulls, he played a huge amount of low post defense because that's what the Bulls needed, Pippen and Jordan were more than enough to cover the perimeter defense, and to be fair, there wasn't anyone like Lebron playing back in the day with that combination of speed and power.

Rodman may lack in speed (slightly), but Pippen lacks in the bulk to stop Lebron in the post. If Miami is smart, an attack with Bosh in the high post, Wade slashing, Lebron in the low post, and Allen spotting up on the perimeter would be a fairly tough offense to stop, and is a good counter to the Bulls strength, which is perimeter defense. Create an offense from inside out (using Lebron, very much like how the Lakers used Magic in the late 80s), in order to draw the Bulls perimeter defenders in. In the post, speed will not be as important, and a guy like Rodman would be able to contain Lebron without using extensive double teams.

If Lebron plays on the perimeter, I still believe Rodman has some of the quickness and defensive basics to handle Lebron, him not demonstrating that side of his defense on the Bulls was more due to need than him not having it (I think).

StrengthAndHonor
05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
So when we beat the Heat this year i guess this years Spurs would beat both

Not a chance tbh. Heat vs Spurs is looking more like it this year though. I'd say Heat in 5.

100%duncan
05-01-2013, 08:48 AM
wade ain't that bad and he would do a decent job guarding MJ at SG imho. we would try our best to speed up the match and to tire out those 97 TOSB bulls. not saying we're bound to beat them 97 bulls but it ain't easy for them to beat us either, shit would be a toss-up imho.

MJ would dominate the shit out of Wade tbh.

StrengthAndHonor
05-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I watched Rodman a lot when he was a Spur, and he was total garbage at that point because his mind wasn't in it. In fact, his mind was only in it when he was playing for Daly or Jackson, the only two coaches who actually spent time understanding him and accepting him. When he was with the Bulls, he played a huge amount of low post defense because that's what the Bulls needed, Pippen and Jordan were more than enough to cover the perimeter defense, and to be fair, there wasn't anyone like Lebron playing back in the day with that combination of speed and power.

Rodman may lack in speed (slightly), but Pippen lacks in the bulk to stop Lebron in the post. If Miami is smart, an attack with Bosh in the high post, Wade slashing, Lebron in the low post, and Allen spotting up on the perimeter would be a fairly tough offense to stop, and is a good counter to the Bulls strength, which is perimeter defense. Create an offense from inside out (using Lebron, very much like how the Lakers used Magic in the late 80s), in order to draw the Bulls perimeter defenders in. In the post, speed will not be as important, and a guy like Rodman would be able to contain Lebron without using extensive double teams.

If Lebron plays on the perimeter, I still believe Rodman has some of the quickness and defensive basics to handle Lebron, him not demonstrating that side of his defense on the Bulls was more due to need than him not having it (I think).
In this case I'd bet Phil rolls the dice and puts the quicker player in front of Lebron and allows help defense to react. Pippen guarded Anthony Mason and Charles Smith in the post before and this was his skinnier days, he bulked up better in the second 3 peat run, so Pippen is no stranger in physical imposing players.

Lebrons first step is ridiculous. This is a guy who guarded Rose and was pretty succesful. His footwork is insane, Rodman wouldn't stand a xhance. At least length bothers Lebron a bit more as shown by Tayshaun Prince during the Cavs-Pistons series, granted he didn't stop James but he did well than most defenders and Pippen was 3x the defender Tayshaun was.

ambchang
05-01-2013, 10:09 AM
In this case I'd bet Phil rolls the dice and puts the quicker player in front of Lebron and allows help defense to react. Pippen guarded Anthony Mason and Charles Smith in the post before and this was his skinnier days, he bulked up better in the second 3 peat run, so Pippen is no stranger in physical imposing players.

Lebrons first step is ridiculous. This is a guy who guarded Rose and was pretty succesful. His footwork is insane, Rodman wouldn't stand a xhance. At least length bothers Lebron a bit more as shown by Tayshaun Prince during the Cavs-Pistons series, granted he didn't stop James but he did well than most defenders and Pippen was 3x the defender Tayshaun was.

I admit I am hanging on the Daly version of Rodman, so my biases are here, but I am not convinced Rodman lack the necessary speed to guard Lebron. Rodman guarded Magic, Jordan, Drexler, and who bunch of ultra-quick Gs in his days.

Phillip
05-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Lebron is almost certainly faster and quicker than Rodman, but Rodman still has enough speed to stick with him at least decently. But in the end, it's not going to make a whole lot of difference, because Lebron is just so damn good :lol

elbamba
05-01-2013, 10:29 AM
1997 Eastern Conference actually had good teams that the Bulls had to play through. In their division, there were 5 teams over .500. In the Atlantic Division there were another four teams. The Bulls played a Washington team that had a winning record. they then beat great teams in the Hawks and the Heat. The Bulls won 69 games against a good conference, in this years Eastern Conference thwy would have won 75 games. The second best team in the East is New York and this NY team would have been destoryed by the 1997 Knicks. Hell the 1997 Heat might have been able to beat this Heat team. The Chill in his last season would have figured it out and shut him down.

Phillip
05-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Hell the 1997 Heat might have been able to beat this Heat team. The Chill in his last season would have figured it out and shut him down.

retarded

Otaku
05-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Played with today's rules or 97's rules?