PDA

View Full Version : Montana Police Have to Stop One Vehicle an Hour

Cant_Be_Faded
07-09-2005, 09:58 PM
http://www.news10.net/storyfull10.asp?id=11889

HELENA, MT (AP) -- For motorists wondering whether police are working on a quota system, an answer can be found in Montana.

A new policy requires state troopers to stop at least one vehicle an hour, whether the driver has done anything wrong or not. But the driver doesn't have to be ticketed, so police officials say it's not a quota system.

State police Colonel Paul Grimstad said the rule that took effect on Monday is intended to reduce traffic accidents and drunken driving.

Montana had the highest number of alcohol-related deaths per miles traveled in a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report released in December 2003.

police state anybody?

CalsonicKansei
07-09-2005, 11:28 PM
I honestly thought Texas did, but I may be wrong. I will not be traveling to Montana anytime soon.

MannyIsGod
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Thats fucking bullshit. So if they see no violations in the hour they just randomly fuck with some innocent driver? Freest country on earth indeed.

Nbadan
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
To think that just a few years ago Montana had no real highway speed limits. The policy of 'safe and reasonable' slowly gave way to 80 MPH highways, which is still fast for most drivers. Shit, you gotta drink up there, its fucken cold.

thispego
07-10-2005, 02:16 PM
What would be the point of pulling someone over without having a reason to?
Even if that person was doing something illegal, if it was an arbitrary stop then it would be illegal for the officer to do anything but send them on their way.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 02:18 PM
What would be the point of pulling someone over without having a reason to?
Even if that person was doing something illegal, if it was an arbitrary stop then it would be illegal for the officer to do anything but send them on their way.

not anymore pego

thats the point, they're pulling over people randomly in the chance that their gamble pays off and they find drugs or weapons or a drunk, etc

thispego
07-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Yeah, but they can't insist upon a search, can they?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 02:28 PM
i dunno i'd ask nbadan on that one

scott
07-10-2005, 05:03 PM
FWD, can you provide some legal commentary? Without probable cause, what basis is there for a stop?

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 05:38 PM
is nothing sacred anymore? the recent supreme court ruling on eminent domain definitely makes me wonder, as well as some parts of the patriot act.

Mr. Ash
07-10-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm thinking that article has "filled in some facts". Here (http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2005/07/07/build/state/25-patrol-guidelines.inc) is another article which is a touch more robust. It would appear that they still need probable cause to make a stop - they just don't care whether a ticket is issued (i.e. a warning is issued) to count in their metrics.

shelshor
07-10-2005, 06:43 PM
To think that just a few years ago Montana had no real highway speed limits. The policy of 'safe and reasonable' slowly gave way to 80 MPH highways, which is still fast for most drivers. Shit, you gotta drink up there, its fucken cold.

And the bars in Montana used to give you to go cups, and a few out in the rural areas had drive thru windows

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 06:51 PM
at 10 til 7pm on a july texas evening, montana seems like a dream.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2005, 07:12 PM
A Cop can't pull you over with probable cause in theory. But the truth is that the traffic code is so damn extensive, they can usually find a law that you're breaking and use that as a reason to pull you over.

You don't have to consent to a search either, but failing to do so will just get your car impounded. They make it to where "cooperation" is the only course of action to avoid a hassle. I know, I've had more than my share of being pulled over because my car fit a description or because I fit a description and had my car searched. And by searched, I mean I've had my shit thrown around by a cop with no regard to it being my personal property because surely a brown man in Alamo Heights is doing something wrong and has SOMETHING worth sticking him in jail over.

Yeah, nothing.

Most people don't realize how much the law is in favor of the police and how easy it is to actually abuse.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 07:42 PM
clandestino would not see it that way though and as long as people like him still live laws like this will keep getting support

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks to the willingness of some to put on the uniform and endure a ton of shit including the prospect of getting shot at and killed on a daily basis we can enjoy our freedom.

This is not to say that we shouldn't be concerned about infringements on our rights, no matter the motivation, but we shouldn't be ingrates to those who do a lot to keep us free.

mookie2001
07-10-2005, 10:50 PM
cops dont keep me "free" at all

mookie2001
07-10-2005, 10:50 PM
well that time they arrested me then freed me two days later

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Someone else explain it to him. I'm hitting the sack.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 11:30 PM
u should change your name to marcus bryandestino

Marklar MM
07-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Some have a quota system because cops around here that you know say they have to give something like 8 tickets a day.

SWC Bonfire
07-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Having driven over a good part of Montana, I'd say it would be a stretch to find 1 car in an hour on some roads.

Montana is beautiful, I highly recommend going there. I would like to go back sometime in the near future.

FYI, eastern Montana does get pretty hot in the summer ~100 degrees.

Johnny Tightlips
07-11-2005, 12:31 PM

Vashner
07-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Well at least it helps there shift go faster with some stops...

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Sure, some cops are assholes and a few are corrupt but by and large they are men and women who are doing a job, a job that exposes them to some real danger on a daily basis.

One thing that is interesting is that a lot of people seem to assume that cops actually personally support every single law that they enforce.

As for how cops keep us free by doing their jobs, if someone wasn't willing to enforce the law then we'd have anarchy and none of our rights would be worth a damn.

So while it's good to be vigilant about our rights, it's also good to have a little respect for those who put themselves in harm's way so that we can enjoy those rights.

scott
07-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Young cops will let you off with a warning if you hook them up with some of your beer.

Nbadan
07-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Yeah, but they can't insist upon a search, can they?

Theoretically, a police officer needs to have probable cause to insist on searching your vehicle. You must verbally consent to a search otherwise.

Probable cause includes, but is not limited to, the driver acting nervously (at the discretion of the officer)*, the smell of marijuana or alcohol on the breath of the driver or coming from the car (at the discretion of the officer), or something as simple as not wearing your safety belt, or a busted license-plate light, such as, the one I once was ticketed for in SA. Practically, any serious moving violation.

If you refuse consent and you have not broken a serious (Class 1?) traffic infraction, the officer has no probable cause to search your vehicle. However, if the officer feels that there is probable cause to hold you, and you still refuse to consent, he can call for a drug-bomb dog to sniff the exterior of your vehicle and if the dog smells anything this immediately gives the police probable cause to search your vehicle without consent.

* (anyone remember this is how Tim McVey got busted?)

Cant_Be_Faded
07-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Theoretically, a police officer needs to have probable cause to insist on searching your vehicle. You must verbally consent to a search otherwise.

Probable cause includes, but is not limited to, the driver acting nervously (at the discretion of the officer)*, the smell of marijuana or alcohol on the breath of the driver or coming from the car (at the discretion of the officer), or something as simple as not wearing your safety belt, or a busted license-plate light, such as, the one I once was ticketed for in SA. Practically, any serious moving violation.

If you refuse consent and you have not broken a serious (Class 1?) traffic infraction, the officer has no probable cause to search your vehicle. However, if the officer feels that there is probable cause to hold you, and you still refuse to consent, he can call for a drug-bomb dog to sniff the exterior of your vehicle and if the dog smells anything this immediately gives the police probable cause to search your vehicle without consent.

* (anyone remember this is how Tim McVey got busted?)

oh brave new world