PDA

View Full Version : Spurs need the Big 4, not the Big 3, to win the title.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
04-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Unfortunately I think the Spurs' chances of winning the title are not that good, Heat look almost unbeatable. However, I love the Big 3 and we all know how great they are and have been, but I think the entire team needs to recognize this team needs to be the Big 4 now, with Kawhi being included. Leonard is a great all around player with a lot of potential, and despite his youth, he shows a lot of mental toughness. If the Spurs want to win the Finals this year, I think they will need to start getting Kawhi involved more, and Kawhi himself will need to be aggressive and assertive. There are times when Kawhi shows such a great offensive game, and I really believe that even with the Big 3, he should be putting up at least 12 shots a game; preferably 15. Any thoughts?

Also, someone should make a cool picture of the Big Four. jk.

capek
04-30-2013, 12:32 AM
In other (fewer) words Kawhi is important to our chances. Yes. Yes he is.

100%duncan
04-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Water is wet. Grass is green. etc etc etc

hyhy
04-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Timmy makes his jumpers, tony makes his jumpers, manu makes his 3points, lebron and co misses their shots, we win. The ball is round

racm
04-30-2013, 02:41 AM
The Spurs need everyone to play well to win it all.

Same could be said of EVERY playoff team, including the Heat.

unforeseen
04-30-2013, 02:44 AM
Spurs need the big 4 and the little 4 to win tbh.

polandprzem
04-30-2013, 02:57 AM
Spurs needs big 10 rather then big 4 but I can negotiate

spurraider21
04-30-2013, 03:08 AM
In my expert opinion... Our stars have to play well and our role players need to step up when called upon

will_spurs
04-30-2013, 03:35 AM
In my expert opinion... Our stars have to play well and our role players need to step up when called upon

... and if the players on the other team have a crappy shooting night, it might help too!

Halberto
04-30-2013, 05:07 AM
Nights where kawhi scores a lot are usually due to fastbreak points and spot up 3's. The best way the spurs can maximize his output is to be more aggressive in transition and looking for him cutting to the basket, not by just getting him more touches.

Rapper
04-30-2013, 05:32 AM
May I know who is the 4th?

romain.star
04-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Unfortunately I think the Spurs' chances of winning the title are not that good, Heat look almost unbeatable. However, I love the Big 3 and we all know how great they are and have been, but I think the entire team needs to recognize this team needs to be the Big 4 now, with Kawhi being included. Leonard is a great all around player with a lot of potential, and despite his youth, he shows a lot of mental toughness. If the Spurs want to win the Finals this year, I think they will need to start getting Kawhi involved more, and Kawhi himself will need to be aggressive and assertive. There are times when Kawhi shows such a great offensive game, and I really believe that even with the Big 3, he should be putting up at least 12 shots a game; preferably 15. Any thoughts?

Nothing new here.

It was Bowen back then and it is Kawhi now

Dex
04-30-2013, 08:46 AM
... and if the players on the other team have a crappy shooting night, it might help too!

Pop, is that you?

sananspursfan21
04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but gotta agree w everyone else. Biggest no-duh thread of the year?

SupremeGuy
04-30-2013, 10:38 AM
LMAO @ this thread...

So basically if we make shots and the other team misses, we can win? Mind-blowing stuff.

Stabula
04-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Spurs can dominate the West if Leonard stays just how he is now. What we need is Diaw to heal and Splitter to stop playing like a frothing vagina.

hooperflash
04-30-2013, 11:35 AM
BLAH

cd021
04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
In 86 games this season the "Big 4" have only had one game where Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, & Leonard all scored at least 15 points (Game 1 Of the 1st round). This means little. The Spurs have a clear Hierarchy Parker, Duncan, & Ginobili. Kawhi is just one of three players who can step up and fill the scoring void if one of the big three struggles on Offense. Twilight Splitter & Green being the others. That is All...

Spurs21Fan4Ever
04-30-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm not simply pointing out that the Spurs need to shoot better than their opponents to win (where did I even say that?), I was trying to get a discussion going about how much Leonard should be relied on in this offense. With Bowen, he was only relied on to play defense and hit the corner three. Should the Spurs occasionally run an iso with Leonard? How many shots should Leonard take? I'm just trying to get a discussion like that going, I really don't know how people claimed I said Spurs win if they play better. I didn't say that anywhere in my post.

cd021
04-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Nights where kawhi scores a lot are usually due to fastbreak points and spot up 3's. The best way the spurs can maximize his output is to be more aggressive in transition and looking for him cutting to the basket, not by just getting him more touches.

Its also worth noting very few of Kawhi's 15+ point games are with Parker, and or Ginobili playing. Off ball he isn't nearly as effective as a scorer at this stage. He doesn't even take that many three's or get to the foul line often enough.

3pt-A per 36 -3.5 (37.4%3pt)
FT-A per 36-2.5 (82.5%)

kaji157
05-01-2013, 05:31 PM
The only thing Leonard needs to do if we get to the Finals agaist the Heat is to do a good job on defense agains James and get his here-and-there points without burning energy on offense.
Duncan-Splitter would easilly dominate inside and Ginobili and Parker would destroy the Chalmers-Wade backcourt.
The problem is getting there, Stern knew this so last year he used his employees and the Thunder to prevent it.He allowed the refs a hard defense on our guys and a no-touch defense on the Thunder, but even this would be useless against our role players hitting their open shots at their normal rate.
It has always been the Spurs way. Their fate is ultimatelly in their own hands as they need their role players to play average. And by average i mean that, not great, but not suck either. Usually that what always have come down, role players play good, we win, if they al shit their pants aka last year, we are doomed.

LarryDavid
05-01-2013, 05:59 PM

OK.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-01-2013, 06:06 PM
With Gallinari, Lee, and Westbrook all out our margin for error has improved coming out of the West. I think the key to beating Miami is going to be the play of Kawhi, Manu and Green defending Wade and Lebron. Splitter and Diaw can keep up with Bosh and keep him off his spot up jumper spots. They don't match up well against Parker or Duncan particularly well.

Slowing down their swing guys is a tough row to hoe though. If we have to double them consistently, Miller and Chalmers will kill us.

Blue Duck
05-01-2013, 07:09 PM
S21F4E, I get what you're saying and i get it. If the spurs make it to the fnals it would be a tremendous boost if Lebron has to exert hinself on defense because his man is agressive ly looking to score. Here's hoping the young buck is up to it. And don't let the thread crashers who only come in to rag on your ideas bug you. I dont get why they do it, either.

superjames1992
05-01-2013, 07:54 PM
One thing to keep in minds with regards to Kawhi is that his three-point shooting overall isn't very good. Yes, he is a good corner three-point shooter, but elsewhere he only shoots ~25% from downtown (from an ESPN article).

So, this is different from, say, Green, who can hit them anywhere (not that he isn't better in the corner, too).

TheGoldStandard
05-01-2013, 09:46 PM
So 2+2 still = 4?

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-02-2013, 09:32 PM
S21F4E, I get what you're saying and i get it. If the spurs make it to the fnals it would be a tremendous boost if Lebron has to exert hinself on defense because his man is agressive ly looking to score. Here's hoping the young buck is up to it. And don't let the thread crashers who only come in to rag on your ideas bug you. I dont get why they do it, either.
I thought the purpose of a forum was to get some discussion going, it seems on this board it's only for insulting and reading material sometimes. Oh well.