PDA

View Full Version : SOPA Creator Now In Charge of NSF Grants

ElNono
04-30-2013, 08:43 AM
"Remember SOPA (https://www.eff.org/issues/coica-internet-censorship-and-copyright-bill)? If not, perhaps the name Lamar Smith (http://gigaom.com/2012/04/02/lamar-smith-sopa-protesters-were-misinformed/) will ring a bell. The U.S. House Committee on Science, Space and Technology chose Smith to Chair as an overseer for the National Science Foundation's funding process (http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/04/congress-tries-to-reset-science-grants-wants-every-one-to-be-groundbreaking/). Smith is preparing a bill (PDF) (http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/HQRA.pdf) which will require that every grant must benefit 'national defense,' be of 'utmost importance to society,' and not be 'duplicative of other research.' Duplicating research seems reasonable until you consider that this could also mean the NSF will not provide funding for research once someone has already provided results — manufactured or otherwise (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101115210944.htm). A strange target since there is a process in place which makes an effort to limit duplicate funding already. The first and second requirements, even when read in context, still miss the point of basic research. If we were absolutely without-a-doubt-certain of the results, there would be little point in doing the research in the first place."

Drachen
04-30-2013, 08:58 AM
I forgot to post about this yesterday. He wants to remove the peer review process from NSF grant applications. This fucking guy.

Drachen
04-30-2013, 09:09 AM
I wish there was a different way to determine who sits on what committee than "did you vote for my bill last session"

Drachen
04-30-2013, 09:36 AM
The latest example of climate denial boobery from the rich trove at Forbes and WattsUpWithThat, is Peter Ferrara’s new piece that compares climate science to Lysenkoism.

Trofim Lysenko, you’ll remember, was a Russian scientist in the Stalin era, whose theories of genetics were embraced as official government science because they were ‘consistent with certain broader Marxist doctrines”. His story is the cautionary tale of what happens when government mandated political directives override careful scientific process.

Ferrara writes: “Lysenko himself arose from a peasant background and developed his theories from practical applications rather than controlled scientific experiments. This fit the Marxist propaganda of the time holding that brilliant industrial innovations would arise from the working classes through practical applications.”

More at:

http://climatecrocks.com/2013/04/29/us-congress-and-the-teaparty-lysenkos/

baseline bum
04-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Fucking House, governing this country like it's Iran.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Lovely, a fundamentalist, creationist, denier neocon in charge of the NSF disbursements. Now we just need a rep from the Flat Earth Society to round out the office.

TeyshaBlue
04-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Lovely, a fundamentalist, creationist, denier neocon in charge of the NSF disbursements. Now we just need a rep from the Flat Earth Society to round out the office.

I'm hoping for a nice, pleasant Luddite.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-30-2013, 02:14 PM
http://theflatearthsociety.org/

tb, if you ever get the desire to whip an entire forum into a frenzy, go there and make some claim that the Earth is a pyramid and go full mouse on it. It works wonders I tell you.

MannyIsGod
04-30-2013, 02:39 PM
This is really really really bad news.

boutons_deux
04-30-2013, 03:46 PM
This is really really really bad news.

Repugs/Tea Baggers have NO INTENTION of doing anything good for the 99%. It's fuck hard, deep,and fast, all the time, while protecting/enriching the 1%.

TeyshaBlue
04-30-2013, 04:05 PM

tb, if you ever get the desire to whip an entire forum into a frenzy, go there and make some claim that the Earth is a pyramid and go full mouse on it. It works wonders I tell you.

:lol:lol:lol

TeyshaBlue
04-30-2013, 04:05 PM
http://www.timecube.com/

FuzzyLumpkins
04-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Your dirty lying teachers

use only the midnight to

midnight 1 day (ignoring

3 other days) Time to not

foul (already wrong) bible

time. Lie that corrupts earth

you educated stupid fools.

:tu

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 09:45 AM
http://www.timecube.com/cubeless Americans deserve and shall be exterminated

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
like Homeland Security used to say

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 09:52 AM

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 09:56 AM
You SnotBrains will know
hell for ignoring TimeCube.
I do not promote or suggest
anyone killing you, but you
are unfit to live on Earth.

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Lamar Smith is paid well to look dumb on TV, but he isn't.

TeyshaBlue
05-01-2013, 10:24 AM
This should be a signature.

Since I have informed you of Nature's
Harmonic Time Cube 4-Day Creation
Principle, your stupidity is no longer
the issue. For now, the issue is just
how evil you are for ignoring Life's
Highest Order, and just how long the
Time Cube will allow you to plunder
Earth before inflicting hell upon you.

Drachen
05-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Lamar Smith is paid well to look dumb on TV, but he isn't.

Well I'm not too sure about that. I told my dad about this last night. He does a lot of work with nasa and he and a colleague went to visit Smith in his office to talk about some stuff, and he got the impression of the lights being on but nobody was home. L

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 11:37 AM
suit yourself, he's a dummy.

I don't really care one way or the other, but I haven't found him to be obviously dumb.

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 12:06 PM
at any rate, calling Lamar Smith a dummy doesn't moot the proposed change.

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
sidebar: teapot tempest (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/05/01/a-new-gop-bill-would-prevent-the-government-from-collecting-economic-data/)

FuzzyLumpkins
05-01-2013, 02:25 PM
sidebar: teapot tempest (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/05/01/a-new-gop-bill-would-prevent-the-government-from-collecting-economic-data/)

The major source of scientific funding in the country being run by an anti-intellectual is much ado about nothing? Oh and

:lol Wine is a Lamar Smith fan

TeyshaBlue
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
The major source of scientific funding in the country being run by an anti-intellectual is much ado about nothing? Oh and

I think this paragraph is what WH is getting to.

"Despite Webster’s amendment passing, you shouldn’t worry too much about the Duncan bill becoming law, and not just because it’d have a very hard time passing the Senate or getting President Obama’s signature. That’s because it has garnered the strong opposition of businesses. It turns out that many corporations, in particular in the retail sector, use the survey to make business decisions. For that reason, Rampell notes, business groups such as the National Retail Federation and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce issued statements supporting the ACS and, in NRF’s case, explicitly supporting keeping it mandatory last time it was threatened."

Homeland Security
05-01-2013, 02:45 PM
I made a TIME CUBE troll once, but forgot the passwrod.

Homeland Security
05-01-2013, 02:46 PM
A passwrod is a four-dimensional password using an alphabet usable only by the enlightened.

ElNono
05-01-2013, 02:48 PM
A passwrod is a four-dimensional password using an alphabet usable only by the enlightened.

sup Chinook

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 02:50 PM

:lol Wine is a Lamar Smith fanactually, I'm not. I just think it's pointless to call him a dummy.

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
hating Lamar Smith for being anti-science will help him get reelected. simple as that.

Homeland Security
05-01-2013, 02:58 PM
sup Chinook
I should take it as a compliment that you think every smart person is me.

Homeland Security
05-01-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm not actually Kool-Aid either though I lmfao all the time that people think it would be like my magnus opus to impersonate an ignorant negro on the innatubes

Homeland Security
05-01-2013, 03:03 PM
hating Lamar Smith for being anti-science will help him get reelected. simple as that.
That's the GOP in 2013 for you.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-01-2013, 03:09 PM
actually, I'm not. I just think it's pointless to call him a dummy.

Why? He says stupid things. He says anti-intellectual things frequently.

Why is it pointless to point out that my representative is a moron? If you want to hitch to his wagon then you go right ahead.

Homeland Security
05-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Why? He says stupid things. He says anti-intellectual things frequently.

Why is it pointless to point out that my representative is a moron? If you want to hitch to his wagon then you go right ahead.
Wine's point is that Lamar Smith only pretends to be an idiot because that's the people who vote for him demand that he be one. If he said intelligent things, jeebotards would think he'd become a RINO and they would Tea Party him in the primary.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-01-2013, 03:12 PM

That is irrelevant. They will just gerrymander if it ever makes a difference. That is just how they roll.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Wine's point is that Lamar Smith only pretends to be an idiot because that's the people who vote for him demand that he be one. If he said intelligent things, jeebotards would think he'd become a RINO and they would Tea Party him in the primary.

And what is the basis of that 'Wizard of Oz' assertion?

Homeland Security
05-01-2013, 03:21 PM
And what is the basis of that 'Wizard of Oz' assertion?
What do you think this is, a fucking peer-reviewed journal?

Winehole23
05-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Why is it pointless to point out that my representative is a moron?for you, clearly not

FuzzyLumpkins
05-01-2013, 04:09 PM
What do you think this is, a fucking peer-reviewed journal?

Thanks, WC. You base it on your 'life experience?'

I am asking for some proof; I am not asking for an exhaustive demonstration of proof.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-01-2013, 04:40 PM
for you, clearly not

So what? I should only focus on the issue of anti-intellectual sentiment? That it's so desirable in the 21st district as to be a benefit? Do you even live in the 21st district?

Winehole23
05-02-2013, 04:10 AM
you're a constituent. I get that.

you may think you have some special right to bitch about Lamar Smith because you live in his district, or some special insight into the man for the same reason, but this is probably fallacious.

your prejudice suffices for you: that much is clear.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-02-2013, 01:01 PM

you may think you have some special right to bitch about Lamar Smith because you live in his district, or some special insight into the man for the same reason, but this is probably fallacious.

fallacious? you are just arguing to argue. You don't argue the premise. instead you make a case that it is not going to achieve some strawman goal you set for me. nevermind that you never justify the position. you just make the assertion without cause that his constituents would be pleased by him saying stupid things in an of itself. that is little more than a meme without the cat or eel. my prejudice suffice for me?

hell you even make the assumption that I am a constituent of his. you really suck at the guessing game. my point is that you aren't, and not that I am but go dissemble some more to draw attention away from your lack of validation of the specific character and wants of the 21st district. Look up prejudice while you are at it.

Winehole23
05-02-2013, 01:57 PM
"yawn"

FuzzyLumpkins
05-02-2013, 02:31 PM
typical wine.

that's fine though. you gave up on your shitty strawman that had no basis in and of itself. no more shitty guesses either. continue posturing in place of articulation. better yet have a drink and bust out the thesaurus.

MannyIsGod
05-02-2013, 02:32 PM

heh

Drachen
05-02-2013, 02:35 PM

I didn't get that he is a lamar smith fan, just that he thinks that lamar knows exactly what he is doing and exactly for whom he is doing it. I don't necessarily disagree, I was just relating a (somewhat) personal experience. My dad isn't some NASA scientist either, his background is the business of the aerospace industry, but not the actual science and engineering himself (though he is no slouch).

MannyIsGod
05-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Lamar Smith can be a moron and know what he is doing, IMO. Many people know why they are making the decisions they are making but that doesn't make them a good decision. Lamar Smith's worldview on science and research is exactly one of the reasons I believe he's a moron.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Wine and I don't get a long very much. I just think he gets off to being contrary to me. At least I admit I can be a sanctimonious pedant. I think he just wants to be the only one.

When it comes down to it, I agree that he likely does not support Smith. However that raises another point. Does he dislike me so much that he will buttress Smith's position just to spite me? I think the drunk does indeed do just that.

TeyshaBlue
05-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Wine and I don't get a long very much. I just think he gets off to being contrary to me. At least I admit I can be a sanctimonious pedant. I think he just wants to be the only one.

When it comes down to it, I agree that he likely does not support Smith. However that raises another point. Does he dislike me so much that he will buttress Smith's position just to spite me? I think the drunk does indeed do just that.

Everyone needs a hobby.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-02-2013, 03:32 PM
:lol

InRareForm
05-02-2013, 03:49 PM
http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/2013_05_01/caredit.a1300091

Winehole23
05-04-2013, 10:56 AM
better yet have a drink and bust out the thesaurus.amen on the drink. real men however, use dictionaries.

Winehole23
05-04-2013, 11:01 AM
hell you even make the assumption that I am a constituent of his. you really suck at the guessing game.and you either suck at English or were being dishonest.

upstream you said "my representative is a moron." then you asked if I lived in the 21st District.

is it not reasonable to infer you were implying you are a constituent?

if you don't live in the 21st, how does it make sense to knock me for not living there and having an opinion, just like you?

boutons_deux
05-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Repugs, mostly ignorant of and deniers of science, want to dictate to scientists what to research. :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
05-04-2013, 12:36 PM
and you either suck at English or were being dishonest.

upstream you said "my representative is a moron." then you asked if I lived in the 21st District.

is it not reasonable to infer you were implying you are a constituent?

if you don't live in the 21st, how does it make sense to knock me for not living there and having an opinion, just like you?

I could have been speaking generally; however, I did initially think I still lived there but I was wrong. I do not since I moved. I did however grow up there.

You are also missing my point about you not living there. My point is was how could you know what his constituents wanted or didn't want. Nevermind that you speak of them as a singular entity.

Winehole23
05-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I could have been speaking generally; however, I did initially think I still lived there but I was wrong.lol

My point is was how could you know what his constituents wanted or didn't want. Nevermind that you speak of them as a singular entity.Lamar Smith has been the rep for how long now? seems to me Lamar Smith's constituents have spoken repeatedly as to his suitability for them.

boutons_deux
05-04-2013, 03:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_S._Smith

FuzzyLumpkins
05-04-2013, 04:20 PM
lol
Lamar Smith has been the rep for how long now? seems to me Lamar Smith's constituents have spoken repeatedly as to his suitability for them.

It's a humongous district and I do live near it. I have been voting third party and not either of the other 2 parties I hardly look at the ballot for the national elections. I try to use better scrutiny on the local level. I mover recently oh well I made a mistake.

That he has a long tenure is beside the point. We were talking about the desires of his constituents and how you would know that. The area is so mindlessly GOP that if he were to resign I would bet you a dollar to a donut that they elect whatever the GOP puts up. There are a shit ton of wealthy boomers in the area and that type just love the no new taxes schtick. That is why its gerrymandered as it is. Additionally, there are many issues that are important.

I would also add that the district contains rural and urban areas and its hardly a homogenous whole. Lumping them together with a single purpose or want is lazy thinking.

Further the post that he is in is decided by the Congress and not his constituents. A GOP house is why he got it. That being said claiming that institution as homogenous is just stupid.

Winehole23
05-05-2013, 05:05 AM
It's a humongous district and I do live near it.impressive.. you didn't know who your rep is. you're obviously in touch with the situation.

lol

I would also add that the district contains rural and urban areas and its hardly a homogenous whole..

I never claimed it was homogenous, just that Lamar Smith was reelected repeatedly from there. Am I wrong about that?

Winehole23
05-05-2013, 05:11 AM
who's propping himself up on a strawman now?

you put it down, but you can't resist either ...

pgardn
05-05-2013, 08:22 AM

Thats not how I see it and yes I live in the general area.

Taxes, immigration, Obamacare...

These folks don't care one way or another about science. Lamar could be an ex Southwest Research Institute star and champion every bill that helped basic research, it would not matter.

Still sad that a pencil head gets anywhere near making a decision involving science. Look at the committee Rick Perry picks to oversee science education in Texas, now this is really sad.